Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3897 Old 04-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seem to keep running into a problem where my List of programs becomes empty.
When this happens, the Mapped Channels table lists the channels in the first column, but all other columns are empty. I have to re-mapp them all for the shows to re-appear. but my Ch_Map file seems correct. See photo attached.

I just installed tonight and will be out of town for a week starting tomorrow (so replies may take a while).
LL

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3897 Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Could you post the ch_maps.txt file.....
post #273 of 3897 Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Could you post the ch_maps.txt file.....

Sorry, I will when I get back in town. I figured I'd probably need something else posted when I was out of town.
I do remember that it did look correct when I went in and looked at it. At least I thought it did.

Jeff
post #274 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

CWEPG hangs on no internet connection. How is the check for internet connection suppose to work? My wireless router connection is pretty good but not always 100 percent.
post #275 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

A general call to the data web site is made to ensure that a connection is present before calling for the big data download. After a timeout, you should receive an error that no connection exists.

There is no timeout condition once the data call is made. It sounds like you have an intermittent connection that passes the first test and then hangs while trying to get the bigger D/L. I recommend improving your connection.
post #276 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A general call to the data web site is made to ensure that a connection is present before calling for the big data download. After a timeout, you should receive an error that no connection exists.

There is no timeout condition once the data call is made. It sounds like you have an intermittent connection that passes the first test and then hangs while trying to get the bigger D/L. I recommend improving your connection.

It is not intermittent. Just sometimes takes a while to connect.

For testing I disabled my connection and then reenabled. While the connection was trying to reestablish with the router I triggered CWEPG in auto mode. I also tried just a disabled connection.

Did I not wait long enough for CWEPG to wake? Or is this not a fair test?
post #277 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Your original post stated that it was hanging. I take this to mean that CW_EPG is locked up allowing no interaction. That is why I stated it must be an intermittent connection.

If your connection just takes a while to connect and is not doing so in the initial internet check timeout frame, then you should get a no connection error and the program execution continues. This is not what I call a hang.

The current timeout for the internet check is 15 seconds. I will bump that up in the upcoming next release.

So how long does it take to establish your connection? I don't want a huge timeout value, but one that will cover situations like yours.
post #278 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your connection just takes a while to connect and is not doing so in the initial internet check timeout frame, then you should get a no connection error and the program execution continues.

CWEPG is not doing this so that is why I think it is hanging. I can close the app out but that is it. I'm not asking for changes...yet....just trying to understand how it should work. I'm going to go try it again with the connection disabled just to make sure I'm remembering it all correctly.
post #279 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, its still hanging (not responding) if there is no internet connection. I tried it several different ways; disabled, repairing, in the process of connecting.
post #280 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldet5 View Post

Okay, its still hanging (not responding) if there is no internet connection. I tried it several different ways; disabled, repairing, in the process of connecting.

Jeff, how long have you left it "hung" in these tests?
post #281 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Jeff, how long have you left it "hung" in these tests?

3 to 5 minutes.
post #282 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

3 to 5 minutes.

...and the log does not indicate an Inet timeout, right? Sounds as though there may be a lower-level communications routine that's getting hung up in the initial CW_EPG connection test then.
post #283 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and the log does not indicate an Inet timeout, right? Sounds as though there may be a lower-level communications routine that's getting hung up in the initial CW_EPG connection test then.

Right. Status is loading, the processing (sand timer is running), nobody home.

Running XP HOME SP2.
post #284 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You are using the latest 0.9.2.5 version right? The older versions did not have the check.
post #285 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I would like to make two suggestions for this app. First, I feel like auto mode, should cause the program to run without a GUI, or at least minimized. Secondly, auto mode should also close the information window that pops up after a recording is scheduled, or skipped because its a rerun. Basically I want something that runs completely in the background.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #286 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are using the latest 0.9.2.5 version right? The older versions did not have the check.

Yes; downloaded CWEPG for the first time yesterday.
post #287 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I would like to make two suggestions for this app. First, I feel like auto mode, should cause the program to run without a GUI, or at least minimized. Secondly, auto mode should also close the information window that pops up after a recording is scheduled, or skipped because its a rerun. Basically I want something that runs completely in the background.

I'd hate to see auto mode itself changed in this way...but I think that having a cmd-line switch that suppresses the GUI and message windows seems to be a potentially useful thing....
post #288 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

First, I feel like auto mode, should cause the program to run without a GUI, or at least minimized.

Been talked about before. I'll look into minimizing it again.

Quote:

Secondly, auto mode should also close the information window that pops up after a recording is scheduled, or skipped because its a rerun.

That information window ALWAYS times out. Are you waiting?
post #289 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes; downloaded CWEPG for the first time yesterday.

I don't know what to tell you. I've unplugged my connection and tested with that version and it works fine every time.

You may want to look into some other trigger to wake your router up before CW_EPG runs.
post #290 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what to tell you. I've unplugged my connection and tested with that version and it works fine every time.

You may want to look into some other trigger to wake your router up before CW_EPG runs.

Your saying you unplugged a hardwire LAN connection from the HTPC? That would be different than a wireless card trying to connect?

I'm not sure I can use CWEPG this way if its potentially going to hang on a bad connection.
post #291 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jeff, I notice that you've posted about problems downloading XMLTV data for Record_This also. Maybe you have a specific problem with the Zap2It website??
post #292 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I wasn't waiting for the info window to close, I just tried the program for the first time today, and figured it wouldn't close automatically.

post #293 of 3897 Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff, I notice that you've posted about problems downloading XMLTV data for Record_This also. Maybe you have a specific problem with the Zap2It website??

I only had problems for a couple of days. The problem with XMLTV is it doesn't log (as far as I can tell) so I don't know if the ZAP2IT server was down or if my internet connection was down. BUT I can make it work by downloading 4 days instead of 2 so that my odds are higher on a connection over 4 days instead of 2.

I think the problem is wireless just is not 100 percent. I am using a Linksys wireless G router and a Linksys wireless B USB connection. Normally it is very good.

Keep in mind that I'm testing...doing this on purpose for the very reason above. If CWEPG is going to hang on any little problem with the internet this should be a problem for a number of people. It might just be wireless connections but I'm sure I'm not the only wireless connected HTPC?
post #294 of 3897 Old 04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, this works great. I just have two questions (one or both of which might be really stupid, but still). Heres the easy one. Will there ever be support within the program for "watch" reservations instead of "capture" reservations? For example, if I watch a certain show whenever its on, but I don't record it, will the program ever be able to just load up the MyHD app, and set it to the proper channel?

Secondly, I'm assuming the answer to this is going to be no, but will there ever be support for a guide for the analog channels as well? (And possibly for recording from analog channels too, even though I know what everyone says about the analog features of this card.)

post #295 of 3897 Old 04-24-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jhoff80:

1) Yes, soon.

2) No, at least, not soon.
post #296 of 3897 Old 04-26-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Assuming that pdeangel means actually that he was looking at the OSD reservation list in MyHD, yes I've noticed that it sometimes shows an expired reservation. That's a bug that we'll eventually get MIT to address. Before CW_EPG, hardly anyone noticed.

Do you know if MIT is aware of the OSD Reservation List bug and plan on fixing it?
I searched the MyHD threads and didn't find it in there. What I've noticed is that after a show is recorded, sometimes it's still shown on the OSD Reservation List. I've also noticed that when multiple shows are scheduled, a wrong one will be removed from the OSD Reservation List. For example, 3 shows in the OSD Reservation List, 1 gets recorded, now 2 shows appear in the OSD Reservation List, but they are not the 2 that still need to be recorded, one of them is the show that was already done.
post #297 of 3897 Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeangel View Post

Do you know if MIT is aware of the OSD Reservation List bug and plan on fixing it?
I searched the MyHD threads and didn't find it in there. What I've noticed is that after a show is recorded, sometimes it's still shown on the OSD Reservation List. I've also noticed that when multiple shows are scheduled, a wrong one will be removed from the OSD Reservation List. For example, 3 shows in the OSD Reservation List, 1 gets recorded, now 2 shows appear in the OSD Reservation List, but they are not the 2 that still need to be recorded, one of them is the show that was already done.

Since I regard this bug as "cosmetic" (i.e., not affecting proper PVR function) I haven't tried to get MIT's attention on it yet. If you can sufficiently clarify "sometimes" to point the MIT programmer to the right place, I'll see about putting it in the hopper.
post #298 of 3897 Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:

It might just be wireless connections but I'm sure I'm not the only wireless connected HTPC?

Not the only one, no. CW_EPG hd been working fine here, wireless, but I switched routers and one night--for no apparent reason--the HTPC lost its wireless connection and didn't reconnect. CW_EPG did it's automated scheduled run at 2AM and hung, using up 95-99% of the CPU. I heard the CPU fan going at full-tilt that morning (about 7AM), and wondered why it was going (it only goes into high speed during high CPU utilization, which isn't very often) and found this situation. So it had been in some kind of tight loop for five hours.

There is some possibility that the connection died in the middle of the download, too. I guess there's even a possibility that CW_EPG got the data OK and hung processing it--but that seems unlikely. Maybe. Dunno.

It's been fine again for the last few days.
post #299 of 3897 Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonndoggie View Post

Not the only one, no. CW_EPG hd been working fine here, wireless, but I switched routers and one night--for no apparent reason--the HTPC lost its wireless connection and didn't reconnect. CW_EPG did it's automated scheduled run at 2AM and hung, using up 95-99% of the CPU. I heard the CPU fan going at full-tilt that morning (about 7AM), and wondered why it was going (it only goes into high speed during high CPU utilization, which isn't very often) and found this situation. So it had been in some kind of tight loop for five hours.

There is some possibility that the connection died in the middle of the download, too. I guess there's even a possibility that CW_EPG got the data OK and hung processing it--but that seems unlikely. Maybe. Dunno.

It's been fine again for the last few days.

Wow, I didn't even think to check the CPU usage during testing. If any one is interested I can repeat my test and check the CPU. Unfortunately for this very reason I removed the automated CWEPG task from the HTPC after my testing.
post #300 of 3897 Old 04-27-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had the same occur to me also when I forgot to OK it's run with the firewall PRIOR to putting the connection check in, and yes the CPU usage was high although I don't understand why as it is hanging in an MSXML call for the data.

Hasn't been a problem since I put the check in first. If your operation is getting to the hanging point, then it has to be losing the connection in the middle of the download. Once again, the internet check makes a normal HTTP call for a regular old web page to check the connection before it calls the data that potentially hangs if no connection. So if your hanging, the HTTP call worked fine or you never would have got to that point. Obviously I would like to catch this situation and I will eventually, but the proper format call to retrieve the data requires the uses of MSXML routines in which errors are not easily caught.

I know that there are many that will use wireless, but I sure would like to know why it chokes on the data download.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page