Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 3897 Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglover View Post

I also am having sporadic problems with bad captures where I have the capture directory set to H:\\, the directory set to Title and the file name set to Date & Title & Subtitle....

We've had some trouble reproducing this problem. Is drive H an actual HDD or is it defined by a Network mapping or SUBST command?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3897 Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I've been away for awhile. My H: drive is a mapped network drive located on a Buffalo NAS. I'm running this on Vista and I have the machine set to sleep when it is inactive. This is actually happening quite often - i would say I am missing about 1 out of 4 captures because of this.
post #3003 of 3897 Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the update. I think that the problem is related to using drive mapping. We're looking into this. Meanwhile, please try setting the capture directory by navigating directly to the desired folder instead of using the mapped drive letter and let us know if that solves the problem.
post #3004 of 3897 Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My H: drive is a mapped network drive located on a Buffalo NAS. I'm running this on Vista and I have the machine set to sleep when it is inactive. This is actually happening quite often - i would say I am missing about 1 out of 4 captures because of this.

This problem is still proving elusive and I'm not at all sure (anymore) that it's related to LAN drive mapping, but it does seem to be specific to LAN-based folders. Have you seen this only with the 4.0 version or was it also happening with 3.x? If you can provide any further information on what circumstances seem to correlate with the lost captures that would be helpful.
post #3005 of 3897 Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

RG--

I don't have the same sort of NAS setup that you have, but I have been able to replicate failed recordings without error indications when I have some shares set as Read Only and others set to allow writing. (For example, if I designate a folder as Read-Only and then share one of its subfolders as Read/Write, HDHR succeeds when I define the capture folder directly but fails when I specify the subfolder in terms of the non-writeable shared folder) Have you confirmed that all of your shares in the path to be used by the HDHR on the Buffalo are writeable?
post #3006 of 3897 Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes I have verified that all of my shares are writeable. I never tried this with an older version (at least not on this setup.) I moved this over to a Windows XP SP3 system instead of Vista and I have not any problems since. Maybe Vista has something to do with it?
post #3007 of 3897 Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe Vista has something to do with it?

Maybe. I know that I'll never find out personally.

Glad to hear that you have found a solution, anyway.
post #3008 of 3897 Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

It should be fine as long as you have the HDHR Lead Time set long enough for the IP address negotiation, which happens each time the HDHR is powered up. I have my HDHR on a smartstrip that only powers it on when the PC is not sleeping and with Lead Time set to 150 seconds that works well.

Where is the HDHR Lead Time setting at? I have seen it before, but cannot find it now.

Thanks,

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #3009 of 3897 Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

RG--

Go to the Options window and right click on one of the HDHR tuners. Then select Properties and that will open a dialog box where you can type in the HDHR's lead time.

(This is documented in the Fine [and searchable] ReadMe.pdf)
post #3010 of 3897 Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Prior to downloading fresh SD data, a quick check is made to the SD servers to ensure an internet connection exists.

SD must have made some changes as CW-EPG no longer detects the servers properly, assumes that there is no internet connection, and thus will not download any data.

I have corrected this issue, but the team needs to do a quick check of things before we post it publicly.

We will get this out as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.
post #3011 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Prior to downloading fresh SD data, a quick check is made to the SD servers to ensure an internet connection exists.

SD must have made some changes as CW-EPG no longer detects the servers properly, assumes that there is no internet connection, and thus will not download any data.

I have corrected this issue, but the team needs to do a quick check of things before we post it publicly.

We will get this out as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Also having the connection issue with CW_epg and also with WiRNS until a while ago....they came up with a fix....don't know if this might help or not but here is a link from Glenn1963 as to what they discovered......something about using the HTTP 1.0 protocol, instead of, I guess, something more current.

Chris C
post #3012 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Chris, thanks. Tim has already a workable fix in hand for the current CW_EPG beta. Our hope, however, is that Schedules Direct will be more proactive about fixing whatever it is that they (or TMS) broke two days ago, such that several of their clients can no longer use the apps that they've been running for a couple of years!
post #3013 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris, thanks. Tim has already a workable fix in hand for the current CW_EPG beta. Our hope, however, is that Schedules Direct will be more proactive about fixing whatever it is that they (or TMS) broke two days ago, such that several of their clients can no longer use the apps that they've been running for a couple of years!

Yea, makes sense to hold off for a while to see if the original mistake is corrected. I received a response from SD Forum member Robert:

Quote:

Re: Can't get data
by rmeden » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 am

There was a software upgrade on Tribune's data servers (we don't host the data ourselves).

We've reported the problem and expect a solution shortly.

As of this morning "This is the issue they are currently reviewing in detail". I plan on asking for a status later this afternoon. My check script was failing intermittently, but hasn't failed in a while.. there's a chance it's been fixed.

Robert

Thanks

Chris C
post #3014 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi,

After looking around the SD Forums and not really finding the correct thread (Announcements?) I tried XMLtv which gets the same SD data and got it just fine with CW_EPG failing right after.

Now if the raw data file could be fed into CW_EPG there would be no problem.

Add to the way far future feature request list?

SHF
post #3015 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

CW-EPG CAN get the data, as long as it thinks there is a legitimate connection.

Before grabbing data, a header request is made to the SD servers to ensure the connection exists before diving into the big data fetch. For some reason, as of a couple of days ago, this call for header is failing, leading CW-EPG to believe that there is not an internet connection.
post #3016 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CW-EPG CAN get the data, as long as it thinks there is a legitimate connection.

Before grabbing data, a header request is made to the SD servers to ensure the connection exists before diving into the big data fetch. For some reason, as of a couple of days ago, this call for header is failing, leading CW-EPG to believe that there is not an internet connection.

Hi,

I remember that the check was put in because once the data was tried to be fetched no message could be produced if there was a problem, so the pre check is and remains a good idea. Much better then just hanging.

It's late Friday now, Monday at the earliest for SD / Tribune?

At least those of us with Freeguide installed can check for the latest listings, it will not be critical for most CW_EGP users until Wed - Thu of next week.

SHF
post #3017 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure that we'll have a revised version of the beta out before the middle of next week. The rub is for those CW_EPG users who have chosen not to upgrade to 4.x. We don't have the bandwidth to add and debug a patched earlier version for them (especially on that short notice, but probably not ever). This is a Schedules Direct bug and they should fix it, by gum.

I understand what you're saying about an alternative data feed, but that just wouldn't be a useful option for most (non-programmer) users. Not to mention that it would also complicate our support function....
post #3018 of 3897 Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that we'll have a revised version of the beta out before the middle of next week. The rub is for those CW_EPG users who have chosen not to upgrade to 4.x. We don't have the bandwidth to add and debug a patched earlier version for them (especially on that short notice, but probably not ever). This is a Schedules Direct bug and they should fix it, by gum.

I understand what you're saying about an alternative data feed, but that just wouldn't be a useful option for most (non-programmer) users. Not to mention that it would also complicate our support function....

Hi,

As SF forum messages said there are three approved apps hit with this, they should not be required to change but SD instead be changed.

But after the dust settles the three apps hopefully can coordinate on the same pre test and let SD people know so that they can insure Tribune will not hit us again. Perhaps SD servers can provide the pre check link even though they do not pass the data.

I did note that parts of SD were shut down in response to this problem.

Could SD make a response to the caller passing user name and password data when it knows Tribune is bad and eliminate the pre check completely.

SD knows now approved apps are doing a precheck, perhaps a discussion with them about the precheck and how to do it would be useful.

The alternate data feed might be a good idea to look at, there is at least one more. How different and how hard to switch should SD fail (I am not suggesting that it will, but every thing comes to an end sometime).

SHF
post #3019 of 3897 Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We've gone ahead and made a new beta version available, without having the documentation caught up yet, to counteract the (I hope) temporary failure of previous versions' data downloads at Schedules Direct.

See Post #1 for more information or go to Tim's download site directly to fetch the new version.

If you're a version 2 or 3 holdout, I encourage you to give this new version a try because it has numerous new and useful features besides the optional networking support.
post #3020 of 3897 Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Installed the new update and getting data now, but the 'SD Stations' pane shows all the old Analog stations that went away after the change over. I assume this is SD's problem, if so, I'll post to them. (see attachment) They aren't shown in my lineup at SD....odd

Also still showing WIPXDT4 which I have deselected on the SD Lineup Site Page.....It's been that way for a while, even though they said they would remove it from the lineup. (WIPX went from 4 SUB's to 3 several months ago)

What do you think about the Analogs?
LL

Chris C
post #3021 of 3897 Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The station list should be wiped and repopulated with each data grab
If you feel there are some strays in there, then delete your cw_sched.mdb file and download a fresh set of data. If they still appear, then they are coming from the SD data.
post #3022 of 3897 Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The station list should be wiped and repopulated with each data grab
If you feel there are some strays in there, then delete your cw_sched.mdb file and download a fresh set of data. If they still appear, then they are coming from the SD data.

Wow, somethings w-a-c-k.....I don't have a 'cw_sched.mdb' file.

I have a 'cw_sched.mdb.sav' and 'cw_sched.mdb.sav2' file from a previous backup....Is this messing something up some how?

EDIT: OK.....I forgot everything got moved to:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\CW_EPG with the 4.0 update. Can I safely delete my old (pre 4.0) prog data files directory?

And Yes, the deletion of the 'cw_sched.mdb' file and data refresh fixed the problem.

EDIT...Again: Did I screw up when I installed the 4.0.1 update ..... when I directed it to my old pre 4.0 directory....should I have directed it to
C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\CW_EPG .....I'm so confused????

Thanks

Chris C
post #3023 of 3897 Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Well, I went to manually download program data today (I stopped daily automatic downloads when I finally went from dial-up to cellular internet a while back -the cell phone and WMWifiRouter aren't always there at the "scheduled" time), and couldn't thanks to our friends at Tribune. After considerable cursing/troubleshooting (they really are part & parcel) my data connection, I checked the forum, saw the 4.0.1 update and posts outlining the need for it and bit the bullet. (Had 3.0.1 or .2)

I'm running MyHD and CW_EPG on an old 900Mhz Athlon box w/ Win2K Pro. During the install I was informed I needed Java, then informed I needed a Windows installer package when Java couldn't install via the online version, then got the installer installed so I could install Java... Grr.

4.0.1 looks great, and now when I "download data" it gets past "checking Internet connection", but gets stuck at "Getting Data for... This may take a few minutes." (Either someone has redefined "a few" or Houston, we have a problem...) When the "Getting Data" message is displayed I get a brief Hourglass pointer and observe a one to two second two way data transfer and then the Hourglass is gone and it just sits there...

Is there something I should do, or is this still an issue after 4.0.1? Perhaps, SD is still buggered up, or they are still "fixing" it?
post #3024 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Technisol, I just ran through a fresh install on Win2k here and it's downloading normally. I guess that the issue there must have to do with your unusual Internet connection.
post #3025 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried to download an update yesterday and it would not recognize my internet connection. I am currently using version 4.0.0.

Is this due to the ScheduleDirect issue and will 4.0.1 fix it?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #3026 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I tried to download an update yesterday and it would not recognize my internet connection. I am currently using version 4.0.0.

Is this due to the ScheduleDirect issue and will 4.0.1 fix it?

Yes and yes .

Versions of CW_EPG before 4.0.1 (along with several other apps that use SD) ping the SD server to see if it is responsive before downloading the schedule data. For some reason, the SD servers have stopped responding to the ping, which, AFAIK, uses an HTTP sequence. Accordingly, CW_EPG thinks that there is a bad internet connection.

4.0.1 was created to skip the ping, and works fine. However, hopefully SD will fix the issue, so your 4.0.0 version could start working at some point.

Since you are already using 4.0.0, it will be a very minor upgrade to 4.0.1, so I suggest that you just upgrade and everything will work great.

-Dave
post #3027 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Technisol -- Are you sure your SD subscription hasn't expired????
post #3028 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM

TPeterson & hdtvincr,

My sub is good until September -I'd say that was the 1st thing I checked, but I knew it was good until September 26th -lineup looked OK too when I doublechecked.

While I'm willing to admit my connection is a bit unusual it has been working fine for months. No changes here, just wouldn't work yesterday. So, I checked the forum to see if anyone else was having trouble, or if SD might be down, etc. and found the post regarding the recent changes and your response. Really had just figured SD's server was having a bad day.

I am getting an error that may be contributing (sorry, tunnel vision last night):

"TOWERPC - MyHD(1) is mapped for scheduling but not detected. No scheduling will occur for this tuner."

I assume (look out, here we go again.) that's why my Tuner Channels pane is blank but I have mapped channels?

My apologies if leaving that out is pivotal, just Ass-U-Me'd it was a separate issue to be dealt with after I got some data to work with.

Wierd stuff that occurs to me:

1. 3.0.1 (.2?) behaved exactly as though it was only SD's changes affecting it. I.E. Hung at checking connection. Had been working fine since I first set up my little hotspot network.

2. 4.0.1 passes the connection check -I see data on both "lights" on the icon for that connection. Then a bit more flashing as it appears to try downloading data, then everything seems to go kaput. CW_EPG doesn't completely freeze, other tabs can be accessed.

3. Running Win 2k Pro SP1 here. Can't get higher service packs to install as installer complains some file or dll is in use... Any recommendations?

4. I saw on page 5 of CW_EPG_Quickstart.pdf that in the dialog labeled "Schedules Direct User Information" that you were using an email instead of the User Name so I tried the one on my SD account. Nope.

5. I did get a HTTP Version Not Supported Download Error once? Probably related to #5.

6. Both IE5 and Firefox v3.5.1 are working on this towerpc through the wifi to cell hotspot, so I'm having a hard time blaming my connection, especially since it was all working prior to SD/Tribune screwing the pooch...

Sorry to make your lives more "interesting", but somebody had to...

In closing, "HELP!" Please?
post #3029 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 08:28 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post

I am getting an error that may be contributing (sorry, tunnel vision last night):

"TOWERPC - MyHD(1) is mapped for scheduling but not detected. No scheduling will occur for this tuner."

I assume (look out, here we go again.) that's why my Tuner Channels pane is blank but I have mapped channels?

My apologies if leaving that out is pivotal, just Ass-U-Me'd it was a separate issue to be dealt with after I got some data to work with.

Aha! I've been there. It turned out that I needed to enable Microsoft Networking and File and Printer Sharing for 4.x to work. Without those, it not only didn't see the 2 HDHR tuners, it didn't see the MyHD card in the same box. Apparently the authors Ass-U-Me'd everyone left those turned on.
post #3030 of 3897 Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks, Ebo.

I'll check it out & report back, but I think they're already enabled...

Edit: Just checked Local Area Connection 2 Properties and both Client for MS Networks and F&P Sharing for MS Networks were already enabled. Still griping about not detected, going to reboot on general principle...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page