Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3571 of 3897 Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It should work like any other clear QAM tuner that CWEPG supports as that's how it treated my prime, as a 2 tuner card with the same channel number assignments and all that as my Divco fusion 3 uses so for you and that tuner it should work great. For me it's only good for locals as they have scrambled everything else so I need cable card support that it can't recognize. I really like EPG but now I'm stuck with windows media center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3897 Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've noticed this before, just ignored it as it didn't give me a big problem. But now it seems to be bugging me more I guess.
When finding movies in the 'movie genre', I usually click on the last one I have scheduled in the Matches list and it takes me to a point in the Listings pane where I last set a record event...... Then I can proceed on finding new shows to record. But now I get this "Scheduled" display at the bottom where the description used to be, and no movement of the highlighted item in the Listings Window. This doesn't happen with every scheduled show in the Matches list. Also sometimes a show in the Matches list that has already been recorded will show as Scheduled. (just noticed this today) I read the post about programmers changing episode numbers, perhaps that explains all my issues. I also recently did a bunch of History deletions for the first time, that's when it seemed to make the issue worse.
Included, are some screen caps to help explain the above ramble.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Much,
LL
LL
LL

Chris C
post #3573 of 3897 Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well, a few weeks ago I went ahead and added a HDHR3 to my network, and (as expected) CW_EPG was able to add the HDHR3's 2 tuners to the tuner pool, and everything is working 100% perfectly

Right now, the TV signal from my outdoor roof antenna comes into the house via coaxial, and then it gets split 4 ways... one split goes to our plasma TV, and the other 3 splits go to various tuning devices for the HTPC: one MyHD MDP-130 PCI tuner card, one HDHR3 LAN tuner, and one prev. gen. HDHR Dual LAN tuner (in the case of the latter, only one tuner used, since each one requires its own coax input unlike HDHR3 which operates dual tuners from a single coax input).

I am thinking about the possibility of just using 3xHDHR3 for the 3 antenna sources allocated for the HTPC, and thus having the ability to record up to six programs at once using HDHR + CW_EPG.

I am also thinking of upgrading the entire HTPC, which currently runs with an Intel P4 (Northwood core) along with an Asus P4P800 motherboard.

For the HTPC upgrade, I want to continue using the MyHD card and software (for HD playback only, its tuner will not be used). And, of course, CW_EPG will be needed for its fantastic DVR functionality. For these reasons, I suspect that I should continue using WinXP as my OS. I've been reviewing both this thread and the MyHD MDP-130 thread and it seems that Windows 7 is a crapshoot, especially for MyHD.

I just thought I'd poll the readers of this thread. If you are currently using MyHD + HDHR + CW_EPG, are you operating them all under WinXP... or have you gotten it all to fly with Windows 7? I presume that the responses here will help me make an informed decision on the OS issue when it's time to upgrade. So thanks for reading, and for any replies.

post #3574 of 3897 Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Vlad, as long as you stick with 32-bit Windows, it doesn't matter much whether you run XP or 7. Both work just fine for all your tuners and CW_EPG.
post #3575 of 3897 Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Vlad, as long as you stick with 32-bit Windows, it doesn't matter much whether you run XP or 7. Both work just fine for all your tuners and CW_EPG.

Thanks. Been looking at the MyHD MetaFAQ, and I read this:

If you're running WinV or Win7, it's a good idea to run both of these installers in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode. (Right-click on the file and set the compatibility option found in Properties)

Source:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18196939

Is this "WinXP SP3 compatibility mode" available in any version of Windows 7, or just the ones that can run XP Mode using virtualization? Thanks for your help.

post #3576 of 3897 Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The MetaFAQ refers to the compatibility mode settings that you access via the - menu, not the VMware stuff. This is available in all versions of W7.
post #3577 of 3897 Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Well, a few weeks ago I went ahead and added a HDHR3 to my network, and (as expected) CW_EPG was able to add the HDHR3's 2 tuners to the tuner pool, and everything is working 100% perfectly

Right now, the TV signal from my outdoor roof antenna comes into the house via coaxial, and then it gets split 4 ways... one split goes to our plasma TV, and the other 3 splits go to various tuning devices for the HTPC: one MyHD MDP-130 PCI tuner card, one HDHR3 LAN tuner, and one prev. gen. HDHR Dual LAN tuner (in the case of the latter, only one tuner used, since each one requires its own coax input unlike HDHR3 which operates dual tuners from a single coax input).

I am thinking about the possibility of just using 3xHDHR3 for the 3 antenna sources allocated for the HTPC, and thus having the ability to record up to six programs at once using HDHR + CW_EPG.

I am also thinking of upgrading the entire HTPC, which currently runs with an Intel P4 (Northwood core) along with an Asus P4P800 motherboard.

For the HTPC upgrade, I want to continue using the MyHD card and software (for HD playback only, its tuner will not be used). And, of course, CW_EPG will be needed for its fantastic DVR functionality. For these reasons, I suspect that I should continue using WinXP as my OS. I've been reviewing both this thread and the MyHD MDP-130 thread and it seems that Windows 7 is a crapshoot, especially for MyHD.

I just thought I'd poll the readers of this thread. If you are currently using MyHD + HDHR + CW_EPG, are you operating them all under WinXP... or have you gotten it all to fly with Windows 7? I presume that the responses here will help me make an informed decision on the OS issue when it's time to upgrade. So thanks for reading, and for any replies.

Hi,

Quote:

If you are currently using MyHD + HDHR + CW_EPG, are you operating them all under WinXP...

I am currently operating "MyHD + HDHR + CW_EPG" as well as Fusion (Very rarely) under XP.

I have previous ran them under Vista and W7. All three have problems, some of W7 issues appear to be more general but all three have problems with Fusion, Vista appears to be the best for Fusion.

-----------------------

As both HDHR and CW_EPG appear to now have database problems, CW_EPG's Options / Tuner Channels is now nonfunctional. Thus a start over is needed. I may go with Vista on my HTPC.

My laptop's HDHR and CW_EPG have the same problem. So two seperate computers same HDHRs on the network.

KTNC changing it's sub-stream names started his process but now I am recording a movie from KTNC-Th using HDHR.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=8368

While I am unsure about Fusion / CW_EPG responsibility for the Zero byte files, I got the same zero byte problem with HDHR.

The HDHR's database problems I am asking about here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1928

I had great difficulty to getting HDHR and CW_EPG to agree on KNTC-Th sub-stream name, first needing to manually change it's name in HDHR setup and rescan again to see if it stuck.

Then several CW_EPG Auto Maps, more playing around with HDHR enabling and disabling channels. Discovering to my horror that HDHR may have one table for all tuners (Four in my case). Then some CW_EPG HDHR scans.

I finally go to the point that I could record movies from KTNC-Th but as I said:

CW_EPG's Options / Tuner Channels is now nonfunctional.

So, if you are going to split tuners, be careful.

I believe that some CW_EPG users are splitting HDHR tuners between OTA and Cable, will you please tell me if you are seeing the HDHR one database for all tuners problem.

No Terry, I have NOT been mucking around.

Upgrading HDHR Software / Firmware was done on both my HTPC and Vista Laptop.

SHF
post #3578 of 3897 Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I finally located some words about using HDHR with different antennas pointing in different directions.

Two antennas in different directions
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8117

Quote:

2) Run RegEdit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\Tuners

Under each tuner you should see an entry for Source and an entry for SourceType.

"SourceType" is used to configure the driver and must be "Digital Antenna", "Digital Cable", or "Disabled".

"Source" is used to specify the lineup XML file and to find tuners for dynamic tuner allocation.

Set the "Source" entry for all tuners on antenna A to "Antenna A" (or similar). Set the "Source" entry for all tuners on antenna B to "Antenna B" (or similar).

EDIT: I have been able to test with "Sutro" and "Attic" and CW_EPG appears to work correctly with two tuner sets. (On my Laptop)

I used "Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" on one tuner set scan and there appears to be bad data on the server for KTNC.

The second set I disabled the "Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" and after the scan KTNC had the correct Substream names.

EDIT #2:

"Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" should NEVER be checked for any tuner that is OTA!

The SD server was set up to handle Cable service problems and has no value for OTA. It has outdated information and NO ETA for fixing (3/5/2011)

Setting my HTPC will be much harder, but it appears that I have solved my problems.

Now if I had the information in this post, I could have done this needed task long ago and not had so many things that were not quite right.

-----------------

Backing up, restoring, or deleting the channel configuration.

Location of channel editor lineup xml file
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4072

From the Troubleshooting guide (2009)
Quote:

Task: Backing up, restoring, or deleting the channel configuration.
The HDHomeRun Setup channel editor stores the channel configuration in XML files:
XP Users:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun
Vista Users:
C:\\ProgramData\\Application Data\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun
(Yes, "ProgramData" - this is not a typo)

SHF
post #3579 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

I used "Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" on one tuner set scan and there appears to be bad data on the server for KTNC.

There's probably a lot of bad (i.e. outdated) data on the SD Lineup Server. It hasn't been accepting new data for several months. The folks at SD say it's being upgraded. I suspect that the release of the HDHR Prime (the CableCARD version) has kept them pretty busy and the upgrade is on the back burner indefinitely. Also, the data returned by the Prime may be incompatible with the current version of the server, so they disabled server input. Just my guess on that.
post #3580 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

There's probably a lot of bad (i.e. outdated) data on the SD Lineup Server. It hasn't been accepting new data for several months. The folks at SD say it's being upgraded. I suspect that the release of the HDHR Prime (the CableCARD version) has kept them pretty busy and the upgrade is on the back burner indefinitely. Also, the data returned by the Prime may be incompatible with the current version of the server, so they disabled server input. Just my guess on that.

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I must be wrong, but I got the impression that my manually editing the stream name for KTNC-Th was returned to me on a later scan.

As I appeared to get all the information needed on the scan that I did not "Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" why should that option be used today at any time. (HTPC may show different results, Wednesday changes planned.) I searched SD forum with no information found.

Question to all, is this the first time you have heard of splitting tuner sets on HDHR and you want to do it?

SHF
post #3581 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nani, it was protests to Silicon Dust from Tim, myself, and (I think) Dale that got them to change the way they had originally defined their input streams to allow for more than one antenna orientation. They evidently had not anticipated such a requirement. This was 2-3 years ago and I don't use that feature, so I'm now hazy on the details, but originally at least it required one to modify an HDHR Registry key via Regedit and was a bald-faced kluge. But it did the job and IIRC Dale is one of the users of that feature.
post #3582 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nanny , it was protests to Silicon Dust from Tim, myself, and (I think) Dale that got them to change the way they had originally defined their input streams to allow for more than one antenna orientation. They evidently had not anticipated such a requirement. This was 2-3 years ago and I don't use that feature, so I'm now hazy on the details, but originally at least it required one to modify an HDHR Registry key via Regedit and was a bald-faced kluge. But it did the job and IIRC Dale is one of the users of that feature.

Hi,

It took me several years to realize that only one list applied to all four tuners.

I wanted to disable all on the attic antenna / tuner and found that the other three were also affected.

Yes, as I posted Regedit work is needed and CW_EPG found both "Sutro" and "Attic" just fine. But CW_EPG appears to ignore the [entry.

Quote:

KTNC-Th
true
8vsb

KTNC-Br
false
8vsb

As I want only two programs on the attic antenna skipping the CW_EPG auto map is not a problem. KTNC-Th and ION (KKPX) are the two problem channels.

With my 91 programs it is not too bad to have just one list, but those of you who have cable on one tuner and an antenna on the other must have your head spinning trying to set up 100-200-x00 entries. Having both antenna and cable all in one list must be confusing and those with antennas pointing in different directions very prone to make errors.

Having KGO on both RF 7 and RF 35 may make the separate list almost necessary, HDHR setup does not like that at all!

I noted that while CW_EPG had no problem with the KTEH -> KQEH change, the KTNC-Th change may have caused the sudden zero byte captures with Fusion.

"This Bay Area" went from "Program Number: 5 ThisTV" to "Program Number: 3 KTNC-Th". Program number 5 is no longer there.

When I start over with the tuners I need to delete all of them and put them back. Deleting the entire CW_EPG folder and starting over clean sounds like a better idea.

That is best as I get an error (" is not a valid ...) when trying to delete tuners.

(A. Nani Mouse) from "Silent Mouse - The True Story of Silent Night [VHS] (1990)"

SHF
post #3583 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The few of us who have both cable and (one antenna) OTA have no problem with HDHR and CW_EPG, as the original Silicon Dust design did accommodate that. The oversight was only w.r.t. having more than one unique antenna source.

Once you have your HDHR configuration set up properly to recognize your multiple antennas, you shouldn't have any problems using it with CW_EPG.
post #3584 of 3897 Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The few of us who have both cable and (one antenna) OTA have no problem with HDHR and CW_EPG, as the original Silicon Dust design did accommodate that. The oversight was only w.r.t. having more than one unique antenna source.

Once you have your HDHR configuration set up properly to recognize your multiple antennas, you shouldn't have any problems using it with CW_EPG.

Except with the attic antenna, with a metal roof over it now, I wonder if it can be trusted. Five + walls before it sees outside, luckily, right in the direction of KTNC.

Signal strength = 82%
Signal Quality = 60%
Symbol Quality = 100%

At least it seems to hold at those numbers.

My main antenna pointed in the wrong direction shows ~ the same numbers.

Only Fusion7 Dual could capture a movie. HDHR could not.

SHF
post #3585 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes, as I posted Regedit work is needed and CW_EPG found both "Sutro" and "Attic" just fine. But CW_EPG appears to ignore the [entry.

As I want only two programs on the attic antenna skipping the CW_EPG auto map is not a problem. KTNC-Th and ION (KKPX) are the two problem channels.

With my 91 programs it is not too bad to have just one list, but those of you who have cable on one tuner and an antenna on the other must have your head spinning trying to set up 100-200-x00 entries. Having both antenna and cable all in one list must be confusing and those with antennas pointing in different directions very prone to make errors.

you can also run a /scan command from cwhelper which produces separate scanxxx-0.txt files for all hdhr tuners. those txt files can be manipulated to remove or add channels as needed/desired. cwepg checks those scanxxx-0.txt files to produce the list of available channels. using those files, i was able to fool cwepg into using the comcast channel numbers which were necessary to record from the firewire from the stb.

btw, your use of different colored text in your messages is a pain to read when using the avs "retro" style because it shows up on a dark gray field.

-----------
post #3586 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post

you can also run a /scan command from cwhelper which produces separate scanxxx-0.txt files for all hdhr tuners. those txt files can be manipulated to remove or add channels as needed/desired. cwepg checks those scanxxx-0.txt files to produce the list of available channels. using those files, i was able to fool cwepg into using the comcast channel numbers which were necessary to record from the firewire from the stb.

btw, your use of different colored text in your messages is a pain to read when using the avs "retro" style because it shows up on a dark gray field.

Hi,

Instructions to muck around in CW_EPG's files. Terry must be flaming you.

I never like looking at HDHR's scan files for several reasons.

First they are RF channel descending.
Second the RF channel is apart from the PSIP channel numbers.
Third, RF channels are descending while PSIP numbers are ascending.
Fourth, I never like files in this format and to convert to a more readable format would require a program, I would use "AWK" as the most suited language. a CSV file perhaps.

Trying to correctly change them would be hard. In my case, NOT allowing "Exchange data with SiliconDust Server" would produce a good list as would "/scan command from cwhelper" which I understand never exchanges data with SiliconDust Server.

They are as hard to read as TSReader HTML Export files.
The original problem, Program 5 was removed by KTNC I did not spot and no one else who looked at them did either. (19 Views)

I would like a description of how CW_EPG gets it's channel information for HDHR tuners, when the scan command on the right click menu for tuners is used, and when it is not. In the second case, is the "Digital Antenna.xml" file ever read after the first time a tuner is found. (Note, I get an error message when I try and delete a HDHR tuner while any "Mapped Channels" exist for that tuner, one of the reasons I wish to start with a fresh copy of CW_EPG.)

In the two cases, information on how "Auto Map" works.

I would like that so understanding what I have been doing wrong can be understood.

That is just the second of two recent items for a CW_EPG FAQ, an idea which was rejected when I suggested it would be useful.

Quote:

Sucks, Color is forbidden? Why is it offered then? What forum is this, the "Tandy Color Computer mailing list", one whose members fiercely reject any idea that color would help the readability of messages, the reason I used it here and why I like AVS so much.

SHF
post #3587 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....I get an error message when I try and delete a HDHR tuner while any "Mapped Channels" exist for that tuner....

Time to check your eyeglass prescription, Nani. That's not an error message, it's simply a warning that the mappings will be deleted when the tuner is deleted. Most people would expect that to happen, but we didn't want to surprise anybody.

If you want to "start over" the mapping of any tuner, you can do so by deleting it from the tuners list and then doing a new scan for LAN tuners, which will rediscover that tuner and reconstruct its available-channel lists for a new mapping (Auto or manual).

Tim can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that the CW_EPG and Silicon Dust HDHR channel lists are sought every time you go to the Options window. So technically you shouldn't need to delete and rescan for tuners, but it doesn't hurt anything (aside from losing the previous custom map).
post #3588 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time to check your eyeglass prescription, Nani. That's not an error message, it's simply a warning that the mappings will be deleted when the tuner is deleted. Most people would expect that to happen, but we didn't want to surprise anybody.

If you want to "start over" the mapping of any tuner, you can do so by deleting it from the tuners list and then doing a new scan for LAN tuners, which will rediscover that tuner and reconstruct its available-channel lists for a new mapping (Auto or manual).

Tim can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that the CW_EPG and Silicon Dust HDHR channel lists are sought every time you go to the Options window. So technically you shouldn't need to delete and rescan for tuners, but it doesn't hurt anything (aside from losing the previous custom map).

Hi,

Quote:

Time to check your eyeglass prescription,

actually the entire eyeballs need to be replaced, some time later this year.

Quote:

That's not an error message, it's simply a warning

The ->"is not a valid integer value.<- is an error message when I try and delete a tuner (Just tried it on my laptop again). The message you are referring to appears first.

I was able to delete a tuner by first deleting all mapped channels for the tuner to be deleted.

Quote:

If you want to "start over" the mapping of any tuner

A full scan by HDHR setup is needed for just one channel change, many HDTV sets require this so not expected.

Quote:

Tim can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that the CW_EPG and Silicon Dust HDHR channel lists are sought every time you go to the Options window.

If you are referring to files under control of CW_EPG, that is expected.

I was referring to "C:\\ProgramData\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\Digital Antenna.xml" and "C:\\ProgramData\\CW_EPG\\scan1013024C-0.txt".

When are those files are reread is one of my questions.

What I am looking for you may not be able to answer, perhaps waiting for Tim may be best.

SHF
post #3589 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The error message is a bug. Thanks for the report. When do you see that message exactly? I just tried deleting an HDHR tuner and saw no such message up through the time that the Options window was refreshed minus that tuner and its mapped channels.

The channel scan files you named are the ones that I was talking about. CW_EPG creates the .txt file when you do the channel scan from the Tuner Properties window and it also reads the .xml one that Silicon Dust's setup utility makes if it's defined in the HDHR Registry (right, Tim?). If both exist, I'm not sure how conflicts are settled.
post #3590 of 3897 Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The error message is a bug. Thanks for the report. When do you see that message exactly? I just tried deleting an HDHR tuner and saw no such message up through the time that the Options window was refreshed minus that tuner and its mapped channels.

The channel scan files you named are the ones that I was talking about. CW_EPG creates the .txt file when you do the channel scan from the Tuner Properties window and it also reads the .xml one that Silicon Dust's setup utility makes if it's defined in the HDHR Registry (right, Tim?). If both exist, I'm not sure how conflicts are settled.

Hi,

Quote:

When do you see that message exactly?

I just started CW_EPG and then Options. (As I am typing this message)

I selected HDHR tuner #4 with a left click and then right clicked #4.

I got the message about "Deleting tuner will also delete all ... mapped channels".

Clicked "OK" and that error message appeared.

I then tried the same with HDHR tuner #2. Same result. (Tuners were not deleted.)

----------

I am asking for exactly how HDHR tuners are used because I think that deleting HDHR tuners several times and or using CW_EPG's HDHR scan that something got messed up.

I do NOT think that what I did to cause this is worth trying to figure out, and no I have no messed with any CW_EPG files in several years. (I have looked at them many times, trying to understand how to not mess up like I must have done.)

I understand that I should have no need to have CW_EPG scan for HDHR like KAXKID needs to do now. The HDHR scan with no SD server usage is best for me.

With a full channel scan of HDHR channels necessary, even when only one channel has changed, I am trying to understand the "safe" way of introducing the results into CW_EPG without loosing the mapped channels.

And for sure, not messing up the CW_EPG files that some sequence of clicks must have done to cause the error message. Again, I do not think fixing what is wrong is the way to go, helping me to create a order of doing things correctly would be more useful to all. (I plan to save the watch list and history and start over with a fresh copy of CW_EPG.)

Remember, you are told to rescan channels often.

When I got the same zero byte files with HDHR as I got with Fusion, I was trying to understand what was wrong and did scans both by HDHR and CW_EPG until it worked. Later I discovered the true problem, KTNC's Program 5 was gone.

Quote:

it also reads

Each is only read as a result of the user clicking, and then only one of them. I suspect that I mixed clicks to read one with clicks to read the other. Understanding how CW_EPG handles HDHR tuners will allow me to understand the correct way.

SHF
post #3591 of 3897 Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Terry the one thing that I might have done to cause the error may have been changing from "Digital Antenna.xml" to "Attic.xml" and "Sutro.xml"

Quote:

Directory of C:\\ProgramData\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun

03/02/2012 08:53 PM
03/02/2012 08:53 PM
03/02/2012 09:08 PM 19,268 Attic.xml
03/01/2012 07:20 PM 24,095 Digital Antenna.xml.BAK
03/02/2012 09:08 PM 23,130 Sutro.xml
3 File(s) 66,493 bytes
2 Dir(s) 30,082,183,168 bytes free

C:\\ProgramData\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun>

That was on my laptop, I have yet to do the same on my HTPC.

The creation of two sets of tuners affects only the CW_EPG reading the HDHR data from "C:\\ProgramData\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun".

It does NOT affect CW_EPG's right click of a tuner and selecting scan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAXKID
you can also run a /scan command from cwhelper which produces separate scanxxx-0.txt files for all hdhr tuners.

I wonder if this is different from right clicking a tuner and selecting Scan.

I see only two scanxxx-X.txt files and I have four HDHR tuners. I have NOT run a /scan command from cwhelper.

Does right clicking a tuner and selecting Scan produce a file? Is that how the two scanxxx-X.txt files were created?

Are there now three ways to produce a "Tuner Channels" list for CW_EPG.

1. Use HDHR's setup program and delete / rescan for tuners in CW_EPG.
2. Use CW_EPG right click on a tuner and click on scan.
3. Run a /scan command from cwhelper.

Does "Auto Map" operate differently in these three cases?

SHF
post #3592 of 3897 Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does right clicking a tuner and selecting Scan produce a file? Is that how the two scanxxx-X.txt files were created?

Yes.
Quote:

Are there now three ways to produce a "Tuner Channels" list for CW_EPG[?]

No. The "cwhelper" option is identical to the CW_EPG scan and is not intended for regular users.
Quote:

Does "Auto Map" operate differently in these three cases?

It should not.
post #3593 of 3897 Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Okay, I know this thread's been around since Ceasar but who the heck is Cliff Watson?

post #3594 of 3897 Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Okay, I know this thread's been around since Ceasar but who the heck is Cliff Watson?

If you have the app installed, read the 'about' page...tells a bit about the man, by Kei Clark. This app is carried on by some rather dedicated, as Cliff was, AV enthusiasts. I thank them all.

Chris C
post #3595 of 3897 Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I did a wiki search and found he was a footballer from the U.K.

post #3596 of 3897 Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I was referring to "C:\\ProgramData\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\Digital Antenna.xml" and "C:\\ProgramData\\CW_EPG\\scan1013024C-0.txt".

When are those files are reread is one of my questions.

SHF

Without wiping too much dust off the brain and IIRC, the .xml files are maintained by the hdhomerun config software and thus changes in the hdhr config app would show up in those xml files. The scanxxxxxx-0.txt files are generated by a call to cwhelper to do a low level scan. This is not a simple "tell me what the xml files say" operation, it is a low level scan of the hardware.

When the Options page is open, yes a request for channels is made. However, this is done so via cwhelper and the info returned is data that is stored. It is a time consuming process to do a full blown tuner scan.

Dale will have to chime in, but somewhere along the line I think we tried to meld information from both of those files sources.

Sorry, but there is a LOT of dust on the brain still!!!!
post #3597 of 3897 Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Without wiping too much dust off the brain and IIRC, the .xml files are maintained by the hdhomerun config software and thus changes in the hdhr config app would show up in those xml files. The scanxxxxxx-0.txt files are generated by a call to cwhelper to do a low level scan. This is not a simple "tell me what the xml files say" operation, it is a low level scan of the hardware.

When the Options page is open, yes a request for channels is made. However, this is done so via cwhelper and the info returned is data that is stored. It is a time consuming process to do a full blown tuner scan.

Dale will have to chime in, but somewhere along the line I think we tried to meld information from both of those files sources.

Sorry, but there is a LOT of dust on the brain still!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I may or may not agree with what you have said because of a strange testing session yesterday. I had convinced myself that what Terry said was right and then testing said no.

I need to test again slightly differently and then start over with a fresh CW_EPG install.

The real goal is to understand how to have CW_EPG accept the results of a HDHR setup program rescan. I may have found a worse case where a fresh CW_EPG install is needed. But more tests hopefully will eliminate that case.

IMHO we need to develop these instructions should the DTV crunch happen, not all in one day at the exactly same time, but station by station changing over a period of years. The DTV conversion was easy, the elimination of RF channels 31 and above may not be nice.

What is so disturbing is the one KTNC sub channel that was the source of my grief returned after deleting all mapped channels and tuners and then rescaning. (And KQED sub channels that disappeared years ago that are still around with blank names.)

Hopefully I can organize what I have found so that it can be understood by the causal CW_EPG user.

One thing that I discovered needs to be understood, any HDHR tuner that is OTA should NEVER exchange data with the SD server. That server is for Cable problems only and has bad data anyway and there is no ETA for fixing.

SHF
post #3598 of 3897 Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I did a wiki search and found he was a footballer from the U.K.

Yeah and 411.com tells me that there's a Marilyn Monroe in Elizabeth NJ. Read the About page, as Chris suggested.
post #3599 of 3897 Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

When the Options page is open, yes a request for channels is made. However, this is done so via cwhelper....

Of course, that's right! I was mentally slipping back to the very old days....

I'm sure that CW_Helper does in fact make use of the .xml files to construct the lists that it returns to CW_EPG's requests, but I'm not clear on when/if it updates its lists and what may trigger that. It may do so on each restart of CW_Helper, either by rebooting the PC or stopping and restarting the cwhelper.exe, but I'm not sure. Dale, any light to shed on this?
post #3600 of 3897 Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, that's right! I was mentally slipping back to the very old days....

I'm sure that CW_Helper does in fact make use of the .xml files to construct the lists that it returns to CW_EPG's requests, but I'm not clear on when/if it updates its lists and what may trigger that. It may do so on each restart of CW_Helper, either by rebooting the PC or stopping and restarting the cwhelper.exe, but I'm not sure. Dale, any light to shed on this?

Hi,

It there a list of commands for CW_Helper?

I continue with the possibility that reinstalling CW_EPG may be the only way to correct some channel changes.

I have reinstalled CW_EPG on my HTPC, did a rescan with the HDHR Setup program and CW_EPG matches HDHR's scan currently.

I will do more testing when I have time to do so on my laptop. Deleting all mapped channels and then tuners, saving the results and closing CW_EPG appears to leave "tuner_channels.csv" unchanged.

Starting CW_EPG and then scanning for tuners brings back the bad channel information.

Renaming "tuner_channels.csv" to a ".BAK" and trying again is my next step. If that fails, a reinstall of CW_EPG is the next step.

SHF
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page