Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3897 Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nani, I think that the step you're missing is to get CW_Helper's channel lists updated after you've rescanned the HDHR tuner channels and before you try to remap them in CW_EPG. Here's one way to do that:

1. Perform HDHR channel scan in SiliconDust's setup utility.
2. Reboot the PC on which the SiliconDust (and CWHelper) sw is running.
3. Run CW_EPG and then you'll see the updated HDHR channels in the central (unmapped) tuner channels list in the Options window.
4. At this point you can perform the remapping after either deleting individual channels or deleting and remapping whole tuners.

P.S.: Just forget about "CW_Helper commands", please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3897 Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Nani, I think that the step you're missing is to get CW_Helper's channel lists updated after you've rescanned the HDHR tuner channels and before you try to remap them in CW_EPG. Here's one way to do that:

1. Perform HDHR channel scan in SiliconDust's setup utility.
2. Reboot the PC on which the SiliconDust (and CWHelper) sw is running.
3. Run CW_EPG and then you'll see the updated HDHR channels in the central (unmapped) tuner channels list in the Options window.
4. At this point you can perform the remapping after either deleting individual channels or deleting and remapping whole tuners.

P.S.: Just forget about "CW_Helper commands", please.

Hi,

A computer restart that is something that I did not think about and may explain some of what I saw not changing and confusing me. It is the CW_Helper command desired.

I think that testing with a fresh install of CW_EPG will go much better with this information.

There is one case that I want to test that may still require a fresh install of CW_EPG to fix. It was what I needed to eliminate that I just could not. (KTNC having programs 3,4,5 and replacing them with 1,2,3,4. Program 5 has nothing to be replaced with and kept showing up every time I looked. "This TV"!)

Thanks, more testing next week.

SHF
post #3603 of 3897 Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you perform the HDHR (or FusionHDTV) rescan, the old KTNC structures will be erased from SiliconDust's (or Fusion's) data store and CWHelper will then use only the new data after you restart the PC causing CWHelper to be restarted.
post #3604 of 3897 Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you perform the HDHR (or FusionHDTV) rescan, the old KTNC structures will be erased from SiliconDust's (or Fusion's) data store and CWHelper will then use only the new data after you restart the PC causing CWHelper to be restarted.

Hi,

Great!

I was so lost when Fusion starting producing zero byte files. Then after connecting a different antenna to one of the HDHR tuners and still got zero byte files, I was really dumfounded.

Now knowing what was the real cause, and it was in the two TSReader files I attached, your instructions would have helped me perhaps understand very much sooner.

SHF
post #3605 of 3897 Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, just got CW_EPG installed last weekend with Homerun dual-tuner connected to my OTA antenna. (i.e. I am a new user)

It works great - congratulation. I can select my favorite program and they get recorded perfectly.

I used to have a PVR connected to a satellite before and this is a close as I got. thank you.
My only problem is that I am watching the recording using MS Media Player (I am on Windows 7) and want to skip the commercials, I have to drag the time-bar and guess when they are over - what I am missing is are the 30-sec skip/10-sec back buttons (like on my old-PVR and MS Media Center).
Now I understand that Media Center does not read TP files.

Is there a good (free) TP-file player that works under W7 with the skip buttons?

Also, (2nd question) is there a way to tell CW-EPG where to store the files? I'd like to connect an external HD as the files are so big.

thanks
post #3606 of 3897 Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Duke, look under the Tuner Properties on the Options window to see the setting for the recording location. You'll be able to direct them anywhere that your PC can write them.

I don't use Media Center, but AIUI WMC does play ordinary transport stream files (i.e., TP/TS ones). Maybe you'll have to rename them with a ".ts" extension to get WMC to find them? Another option for skipping the uninteresting parts of shows is to use H2M to edit the files (and you could then change the extension at the same step). Don't be misled by H2M's formal name, it's mainly a TS editor and works nicely for quickly trimming them. (There's a more powerful, but not free, tool also available called VideoReDoPlus)
post #3607 of 3897 Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post

My only problem is that I am watching the recording using MS Media Player (I am on Windows 7) and want to skip the commercials, I have to drag the time-bar and guess when they are over - what I am missing is are the 30-sec skip/10-sec back buttons (like on my old-PVR and MS Media Center).
Now I understand that Media Center does not read TP files.

Is there a good (free) TP-file player that works under W7 with the skip buttons?

Hi,

Take a look at VLC media player. (Free)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It does not have the "30-sec skip/10-sec back buttons" but the wheel on my wireless trackball works quite well to skip forward as far as I wish or backward. I wish that I could control how far a click of the wheel jumps, it is too coarse for me. (Wheel set to one line) Just put the pointer over the slider. With the pointer not on the slider, the volume is controlled. No remote! It plays just about any type file you wish. It crops SD 16:9 programs to fill my 16:9 screen which is used quite a lot.

MyHD's remote can do the jumps you like, Fusion has fast forward and reverse on it's remote.

I use all three for playback, I have advoided Windows Media Center ever since it took me a very long time to discover that it was responsible for waking my laptop up in the middle of the night draining the battery.

SHF
post #3608 of 3897 Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I always edit my captures and convert to MPG myself before I bother to watch them. That way all the commercials and things I don't want are already gone and I just kick back and watch my shows later ready to go. I use VideoRedo myself, but it's a pay program, to edit my captures with then play them through my media players over the network in the front room.
post #3609 of 3897 Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks Dartman, I have videoredo somewhere, I did not install it on windows 7 yet, hopefully it will work. It is a great program, that I remember.

Thanks SHF, I will try VLC with your instructions - will let you know.

Thanks for the info, TPatterson, I will try to rename the files with a TS, see if it works -but the TP sure does not. (after moving them to the right MC recording directory -as I do not know if I can tell MC to look somewhere else for recordings - does someone knows?)

I might also see if MS can give me some support with MC.
post #3610 of 3897 Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They have a new version of video redo that does WTV files natively if you ever end up using WMC, if you already have a paid for version of videoredo it's a extra 46 bucks to upgrade to the best full boat version. If your happy with the version you have just make sure to get the update if you haven't used it in a long time and be happy.
The best version also does a whole bunch of format conversions and can burn DVD's from the files if needed.
I used the original of videoredo plus for years and finaly had to upgrade becuase I got the HD HomeRun prime that uses a cable card and it needs WMC to support the card, which uses WTV format to record in.
post #3611 of 3897 Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info, however, last night I found a great player/viewer program call GOM - it does the tp file and is very easy to use and customize. I am able to set the wheel on my mouse to move forward and back easily to skip commercials. And it is free. So I will not need to use videoredo for now.

So far, the only thing I need to do is to get the sub-titles showing. The program does allow for it, but none are showing. Is it that CW_EPG does not record the sub-titles? they do show up if I record with MC.

Can anyone help?
post #3612 of 3897 Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Duke, CW_EPG doesn't actually "record" anything, but rather sets up recordings by the vendor-supplied software for the tuners that it supports. Nevertheless, all of those applications do record the full transport stream contents pertaining to the PIDs of the target program, which includes the DTVCC that a DTV uses to display subtitles.

However, most PC video players do not decode the DTVCC information. (VLC is a significant exception to this rule) According to this Wikipedia page, it seems that GOM is no exception. I don't know what WMC is doing, but if you are in fact seeing subtitles when playing back WMC recordings using GOM it's likely extracting them into a separate subtitle file of one of the supported types listed on that Wiki page.

You can achieve the same effect by running CCExtractor on your HDHR tp files.
post #3613 of 3897 Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info TP.
I install CCdecoder and works. However, some time the text is de-phased with the dialog. It is not obvious to re-synch it.
Also, it takes a while to extract the txt file. However, it is an option.
I have yet to try the VLC player (you say that the sub-title do display with it?). This will be my next step.

post #3614 of 3897 Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Duke, thanks for reminding me. Some players don't handle .srt files reliably. The methods for resynching them depend upon the player.

Yes, VLC displays DTVCC subtitles directly.
post #3615 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM

I installed VLC a few nights ago.
It is a good player for subtitle (except it seems that I have to turn them ON/OFF everytime I start a new show)
I experienced a few crashes, but it might have been my recording.

However, I miss the wheel function to move forward/back in the GOM player. It makes if so easy to skip parts of a movie or commercials.

I tried to find out how to program that function to VLC player. Forums on that subject are not clear.
Can anyone help me, specifically, how to program the skip forward/back on the mouse wheel for the VLC player?

thank you

P
post #3616 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post

However, I miss the wheel function to move forward/back in the GOM player. It makes if so easy to skip parts of a movie or commercials.
P

Have you tried in VLC under:
Tools->Preferences->Hotkeys:
MouseWheel up-down axis control:

But usually for commercial skip I use either:
Very short forward jump: Shift+Right
Short forward jump: Alt+Right
And I have a FusionHDTV remote which I can make a profile and assign buttons for those "short jump" controls.

Or I use videoRedo to remove the commercial for recording that I want to keep a bit longer.
post #3617 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

And I have a FusionHDTV remote which I can make a profile and assign buttons for those "short jump" controls.

Hi,

Have you actually built a profile and are willing to share?

SHF
post #3618 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

Have you actually built a profile and are willing to share?

SHF

I do not know how to save a FusionRemote profile (I did not see any button to do it).
I can see a bunch of KeyMap under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Dvico\\FusionRemote\\KeyMap

But the names are number and the data is in REG_BINARY format so it is difficult to guess which one belong to profile I have modified.
post #3619 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not know how to save a FusionRemote profile (I did not see any button to do it).
I can see a bunch of KeyMap under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Dvico\\FusionRemote\\KeyMap

But the names are number and the data is in REG_BINARY format so it is difficult to guess which one belong to profile I have modified.

Hi,

It has been a very long time since I looked how to do this.

The Registry sure looks very user unfriendly as is the entire process which is why I never did this myself.

If you are willing to export all the keys I could compare with mine to see what is new or changed as I have made no changes. (And my Fusion install is doomed so I do not care if it is messed up.)

I will send a PM with an e-mail address.

If I figure out what is really going on, I will get back so others can also use VLC with their Fusion remote.

SHF
post #3620 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Do you have anything different in:

"C:\\Program Files\\DVICO\\FusionHDTV\\Remote\\Profile"? (Vista)

I created a profile called "VLC", did you use the exact same name?

They may stay in the registry after being deleted. Bummer.

I see nothing in the Virtual store for Remote.

SHF
LL
post #3621 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

I have the same file as you have except as I am running in win64 it is:
"C:\\Program Files(x86)\\DVICO\\FusionHDTV\\Remote\\Profile"

I think that those are the builtin profiles but the profiles that you create are saved only in registry.
post #3622 of 3897 Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the same file as you have except as I am running in win64 it is:
"C:\\Program Files(x86)\\DVICO\\FusionHDTV\\Remote\\Profile"

I think that those are the builtin profiles but the profiles that you create are saved only in registry.

Hi,

With the VLC keyboard shortcuts you used I still would need to know what keys you put them on.

Looks like a failed idea.

I use a learning eight way remote programmed at almost the machine code level so I would need to use the original Fusion remote. Another reason to forget it.

I use the wheel on my wireless trackball for VLC forward, reverse and volume control.
The trackball is used to drop files from Windows Explorer on the MyHD, Fusion and VLC Icons and to move and delete files on my NAS. And VLC pause and play.

The TV mute on the remote in the other hand is used sometimes during commercials.

Sounds complicated but it works quite well.

I do not think I would gain anything, sorry for wasting your time.

SHF
post #3623 of 3897 Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Well,
vlc has a vlcrc under C:\\Users\\{YourUserName}\\AppData\\Roaming\\vlc that allow you to map any key sequence to a command, I tried keep the default mapping but it does not have to be if you have a remote or a mouse that can send any keycode sequence.
post #3624 of 3897 Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well,
vlc has a vlcrc under C:\\Users\\{YourUserName}\\AppData\\Roaming\\vlc that allow you to map any key sequence to a command, I tried keep the default mapping but it does not have to be if you have a remote or a mouse that can send any keycode sequence.

Well, we are getting very off topic, I almost hear Terry hitting keys.

What is strange is one of the files with the date of last Saturday has a computer name inside that has not been in use for many years and a name of a NAS that was DOA at purchase and needed to be sent to Mexico three times finally being replaced with an upgraded model.

This needs to be moved to a VLC topic, or perhaps a Fusion one. My idea for a thread to cover HTPC discussion that bridges devices / software was rejected.

SHF
post #3625 of 3897 Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a local change from channel 16 to 20, but after rescanning my HDHomerun's they still list the old RF channel in CW_epg. Think I had this issue several years ago, but I can't find my old post on the Forum.

Any hints?

Thanks Much

EDIT:
Odd things going on:
All "Application Data" folders under "Documents and Settings" were 'hidden' and 'read only'....never were before, so what caused this.....duh??....

Rescanned through right click on CW_epg options window and it gave me the other RF channels to choose from.
The only issue I'm seeing now is that the old RF's for the once missing channels (subs) are still there in the 'Tuner Channels" pane.

Anyway to edit this file to clean it up? and Where might I find it?

Sorry, I know I've been down this road before, guess I need to write myself a note for the future.

Again Thanks,

Chris C
post #3626 of 3897 Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Chris, after you've run the Silicon Dust channel scan you need to delete the old mapping of the changed channel(s) in the Mapped Channels pane and remap to the new rf entry. IIRC, one way to get rid of the old channels if they're still showing up in the middle pane (Tuner Channels) of the Options window is to reboot the PC to cause CWHelper to restart.
post #3627 of 3897 Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Chris, after you've run the Silicon Dust channel scan you need to delete the old mapping of the changed channel(s) in the Mapped Channels pane and remap to the new rf entry. IIRC, one way to get rid of the old channels if they're still showing up in the middle pane (Tuner Channels) of the Options window is to reboot the PC to cause CWHelper to restart.

Thanks TP ! .... CWHelper restart fixed the multiples in the tuner channels pane.... RF channel changes seldom occur around here, I gotta remember that.

Chris C
post #3628 of 3897 Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I am a happy user of CW_EPG on WinXP who is looking to migrate to Windows 7.

For other CW_EPG users out there who use Win7, what media player or front end do you all use? Is Windows 7 Media Center what I should try first?

I ask because I want to continue using CW_EPG to schedule OTA recordings when I change from XP to 7, and I do not want any Media Center application do any PVR tasks. I want CW_EPG to continue handling that aspect of the system.

So, basically, can CW_EPG co-exist with 7MC, JRiver, XBMC, etc?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

post #3629 of 3897 Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Vlad, just follow the installation instructions and you should be fine on W7 (as many of us already are). CW_EPG plays fine and does not interfere with Windows Media Center or Media Player, etc. You can use WMP to play your recordings, but the first time you open a .tp file it will complain that it doesn't know that file type. Tell it to go ahead anyway and it will work as expected/hoped.

I've recently been fooling with WMC on W7 for the first time and have found that it doesn't want to recognize .tp (or .ts) recordings itself, but there is a plug-in called Media Browser that adds that capability--directly, in the case of .ts files, and with a little Registry hacking*, in the case of .tp ones. Media Browser is actually pretty cool; it goes off to the Web, finds info about your various recordings (as long as their names and folder setups conform to MB's rules) and presents it all in a nifty "cover" for each.

*The "hack" is very simple (but oddly not easy to find in Google): You must change the Registry settings in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for .tp files to resemble those of .ts. I did this by exporting the .ts branch, editing all ".ts" occurrences to ".tp" and then merging the result as the new .tp branch. I think that it would be sufficient merely to add the key PerceivedType with value "video" to the original .tp branch, but I didn't learn that until after I'd already performed the more major edit.
post #3630 of 3897 Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Terry,

I used W7 for a while but the 32 Bit version with MyHD. That W7 32 Bit desktop computer is in standby mode should my active HTPC fail. (XP)

I remember that Vista 64 Bit was a no go for MyHD, from the little time spent on my W7 64 bit laptop, I suspect W7 needs to be the 32 bit version for MyHD.

I ditched W7 as my active HTPC due to numerous problems I saw with W7.

SHF
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page