Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3897 Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post

Thanks for all your effort in making this program. Can I ask why searches are case sensitive?

It was unintentional. I changed the routine that searches for matches. Unfortunately, I did not rehash the wildcarding code.

As it turns out, the procedure now used has the capability for wildcard searching so it is there even though I didn't rewrite the code to do it. I actually prefer this method as there is a lot more functionality in the wildcard searches, basically like any typical wildcard search.

The down side is that I did not turn the case senitivity off since I didn't even realize this method was there. I will correct that in the next release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3897 Old 05-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

As mentioned, the wildcard "*" no longer works as documented.

However, there is still some functionality there for wildcard searches. The biggest problem is that the search is case sensitive. Otherwise, normal wild card search entries can be performed.

Examples:

Garden* = Garden Time, Garden of Eden
*Garden* = Smart Gardening
*garden* = (nothing since it is case sensitive)

Are you saying that the case where * precedes the keyword doesn't work at all (i.e. *Time = Garden Time doesn't work) and the ones above do work? Or do they all work when case sensitivity and wildcard placement is correct?

If it's the latter then I think it still has the problem where it hangs and has to be restarted when anything is entered to a list that already has a wildcard item in it. See my post above for more details. Try the case where a wildcard isn't satisfied by any item in the listing.
post #363 of 3897 Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

Are you saying that the case where * precedes the keyword doesn't work at all (i.e. *Time = Garden Time doesn't work) and the ones above do work? Or do they all work when case sensitivity and wildcard placement is correct?

I'm saying that "*Time" should work and find "Garden Time" and "Show Time" and "Time To Quit", but will not find "Showtime" because of the case sensitivity.

Quote:

If it's the latter then I think it still has the problem where it hangs and has to be restarted when anything is entered to a list that already has a wildcard item in it. See my post above for more details. Try the case where a wildcard isn't satisfied by any item in the listing.

I can not reproduce this error. It works just fine for me every time I add a "*" entry, no matter how many are there already. In fact, it works too well in that if I enter a wildcard search twice that both hit on an entry, they both go to the Match list.

Could you perhaps post your "watchlist.csv" and I'll try to reproduce with that.
post #364 of 3897 Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'll try to set up to duplicate it tomorrow and get a watchlist.csv. I had already switched back to .05 since it was unusable for me the way it was behaving
post #365 of 3897 Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can not reproduce this error. It works just fine for me every time I add a "*" entry, no matter how many are there already. In fact, it works too well in that if I enter a wildcard search twice that both hit on an entry, they both go to the Match list.

Could you perhaps post your "watchlist.csv" and I'll try to reproduce with that.

I reloaded .15 and it no longer has that error. It was very reproducible before so something that I did at the time must have corrupted one of the files.

One problem when making repeated entries in the Add Watch box is that it rebuilds the Match list after every entry. I hadn't noticed that when I was trying different entries so I may have caused the corruption by either making a new entry or deleting an entry while it was rebuilding the Match list.

One way to make sure that doesn't happen would be to abort the rebuild whenever an Add Watch or delete is done and then restart it. This would also remove the (small) nuisance of having to wait for the rebuild after every entry.

I notice that the rebuild also occurs whenever the CW_EPG is started and whenever you switch back to the Listings tab. It would be nice to do this only when a change has been made.

Finally, I mentioned previously the problem with European marked letters (such as in Ninos). That was ok in .05 so this new package you're using apparently doesn't handle that correctly.
post #366 of 3897 Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

All issues being worked on. THanks for the input.
post #367 of 3897 Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

You people and your dang big fonts! I accounted for the extra large font size in the desktop settings, but not the 120 DPI. Gotta wait for the next post.

Well, it looks like despite some new versions since this first bug report, nothing has happened. Note the attached picture.

Although I do use enormous fonts (168dpi), there isn't any other way to make text readable from 10 feet away with a 1600x1000 36" 16x9 screen.
LL
post #368 of 3897 Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dude! You gotta get closer! I sit 6 feet away from a 57" screen. Ok, maybe I need help.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #369 of 3897 Old 05-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

The Zap2It Schedules for some of my stations are just 'bad', and highly flexible blocking to make-up for bad schedule data is not mainstream to the CW_EPG app, so yesterday I wrote a little plug in that allows for a lot of flexibility* in preventing CW_EPG from recording programs. The problem I had was that things would get marked as "seen", when I really didn't get 'em. I tried, but blocking a single time slot within CW_EPG wasn't sufficient for my situation.

By the way, it's more of a quasi-plugin because CW_EPG doesn't (yet?) have a user exit. But I've made it work using the command line options and running CW_EPG twice (which you would see if you checked-out the batch file).

Here are the list of steps to allow the blocking to work in the current version of CW_EPG. This assumes that you will be running in automated mode, because if you're not, you might as well not bother since you can do it manually as you monkey with the program every day.
  • Make a list of stations, programs and times where you got a bad recording, either the show that was supposed to be there wasn't on, or it was a low def show and you really wanted the high def version.
  • Go to your command prompt and type "java" (no quotes) and hit enter.
  • If it's not a recognized command, go to http://java.sun.com/getjava and follow the instructions.
  • If you see some usage instructions, continue.
  • Download the file SchedMan.zip from below.
  • Unzip it directly into the folder that contains the cw_sched.mdb, there will be just four files.
  • Edit the "blocked.csv" file and read about the layout and check out the examples. None of the examples are 'live' because they are commented out with a "#" in column 1.
  • Edit the "blocked.csv" file, add things you want to block, then save the file.
  • Schedule the SchedMan.cmd batch file using the Scheduled Tasks in Windows control panel.
  • Right click it and hit 'run'. Wait a few minutes until the status doesn't say Running any more. If it stays running, you will need to break-up the cmd file into two and schedule them separately, but to continue the test, kill CW_EPG from task manager.
  • You should see SchedMan.log. That's where to go if something doesn't look right.
  • Open CW_EPG in foreground mode, sort by title and see if you can spot your blocked shows by looking for "S.how Name" instead of "Show Name". This is how it blocks, by making sure the name never matches.

New Key Words:
  • If you keep getting "SH" shows over and over again, the new "code" parameter alters "SH" code to "EP" since "SH" codes don't work with 'new to me'
  • If you do not want to record the entire program, the new "chop" parameter alters the end time by the number of minutes in the 7th parameter, and adds "(segment)" to the title to prevent it from getting chopped twice.
  • If you only want to record a specific part of a show, the new "segment" parameter creates separate schedule entries from a single entry, each new entry is the number of minutes in the 7th parameter, and adds "CwPart 1" (etc) to the title.

--Dale--

* If it's not flexible enough for you, the source code is in the jar file... have at it!

SchedMan.zip 18.0634765625k . file
post #370 of 3897 Old 05-21-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey, Dale, no fair! You moved the attachment to your website, so now we can't all see just how many eager "user exit" wannabes may exist.
post #371 of 3897 Old 05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Hey, Dale, no fair! You moved the attachment to your website, so now we can't all see just how many eager "user exit" wannabes may exist.

I'm sad as well, but even though I renamed it as '.txt' the link didn't work. And I'm sure the code is perfect ;-) so not one of the 10,000 users will be complaining. But if those 10K are like most of the users I know, they'll be asking for more features!

--Dale--
post #372 of 3897 Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 PM

I just downloaded the EPG last night and after not even one day I love it. however I do have 3 questions/issues (and apologies if I missed where these may have already been addressed)

1) I currently use Zap2It EPG downloads for mediaPortal (my HTPC program) which includes a full list of non-digital/HD channels. I would like to have one Zap2It login for downloading both my non-digital and my digital line-ups. It seems that the CW_EPG always defaults to the first line-up (my non-digital is first). SImple solution was to create 2 Zap2It EPG logins, one for each line-up, however is there a way to select the lineup to download within the CW-EPG program, when I have multiple EPG lineups setup within one Zap2It account?

2) Followup to above, is there a way to have CW-EPG access and read from a previously downloaded tv-listing file rather than having to login itself? I already have a BATCH file that I already run that downloads the non-digital lineup and the digital lineup, to separate files

3) again relating to above possibly, but how can I have the CW-EPG download and/or load the EPG tv-listings automatically, rather than manually? (I am sure this has been addressed already, I am still going thru the documentation and forum notes, apologies again)

Patrick
----------
post #373 of 3897 Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Patrick--

1) CW_EPG downloads data for all defined line-ups in your Zap2It login account.

2) No(t any time soon)

3) You're right, it's covered. RTFM. (I suggest that you add the appropriate CW_EPG command to your existing batch file)
post #374 of 3897 Old 05-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Is anyone else having any issues with computers waking up from a suspended state to record a show? CW_EPG is scheduling the shows fine, but the computer does not wake up to record the shows. I have found that If I launch MyHD, and go in and view scheduled recordings, then suspend the machine again.... the computer will wake up and record fine. However, if I just let it sit and do it's thing (without 'tickling' the scheduled recording entry in MyHD), it will never wake up from suspend....

I have various tasks that wake up the PC to run... and all of those work fine. Its just seems to happen with CW_EPG scheduling. Also, it seems to have started when I updated to the latest version of CW_EPG....

Thanks
post #375 of 3897 Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I just tested to verify, and the HTPC woke up just fine to record.

Anyone else having this problem?
post #376 of 3897 Old 06-03-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

CW_EPG isn't waiting long enough for my internet connection to be made or maybe it needs to try twice? I could put a dummy wake up task in front of the CW_EPG task if that is the best way. Note that the 10 day is working!

CW_EPG AUTOMATIC MODE STARTED AT : 6/3/2006 5:00:34 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Internet Connection Not Detected at 6/3/2006 5:00:44 AM. Download Aborted.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\
10day.xtvd Data Downloaded on 6/3/2006 5:00:48 AM
Timeframe : 2006-06-16T05:00:00Z - 2006-06-17T05:00:00Z

Converting 10day.xtvd Data To Schedule Database on 6/3/2006 5:00:48 AM
Writing EPG to MyHD on : 6/3/2006 5:01:02 AM
Deleting Previous Channel Records.....
Writing New Channel Records.....
Deleting Outdated EPG Records.....
Writing New EPG Records.....
5761 EPG Records Written.....
post #377 of 3897 Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That's interesting! I think the timeout is 30 seconds. Perhaps I need to bump it up some more.

Hey, at least there isn't the program hang anymore!
post #378 of 3897 Old 06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's interesting! I think the timeout is 30 seconds. Perhaps I need to bump it up some more.

Looking at the time stamps of the log it looks more like 10 seconds?

Quote:

Hey, at least there isn't the program hang anymore!

And I apppprecciate that!
post #379 of 3897 Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldet5 View Post

CW_EPG isn't waiting long enough for my internet connection to be made or maybe it needs to try twice? .....

I'm seeing this sometimes too. I haven't figured out a pattern.
post #380 of 3897 Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 AM

I just installed this an it looks great. However I have a question.

In the log it says it downloaded a 2 day and a 14 day listing.
However, when I scroll through the CW_EPG listngs, it is only from 6/10-6/13.
It also only find matches within this date range.
I thought it would schedule ANY matches it found in that 14 day period--not just 2 days ahead of time.

How do I get CW_EPG to display and search through the entire 14 day lineup?

Note, on the MyHD on-screen guide it has the data for all 14 days.

Thanks,
-Kyle
post #381 of 3897 Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Kyle--

For now you can only see the full 14 days in MyHD (where you can also schedule any of those events for capture). And, as the ReadMe says, matches are scheduled only up to 26 hours in advance. This is to assure that the scheduled capture uses the most up-to-date information available and it's intended to be done by an automatic daily Windows Task Scheduler CW_EPG run.
post #382 of 3897 Old 06-10-2006, 12:44 PM

I did a search in this thread and could not find an answer, so sorry if this has alreasdy been covered....
Will the CW EPG work with my MDP-120? I have downloaded and followed the instructions (I think) but I am having some trouble.
How do know if it is working? Will the EPG "look" the same?

On the CW_EPG read me, step 6 a:
a) To transfer the downloaded Zap2It schedule information to MyHD for use in its EPG on-screen display, click the "Post EPG" button.
I can not seem to find the button that "Post EPG" button, where might I find it?

Can someone post a screen shot of the CW EPG so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks,
Joe
post #383 of 3897 Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Joe--

Yes, CW_EPG works with all MDP versions, but only with sw version 1.66 and the updated MyHD.exe that is in the download package linked in the first post of this thread.

The "post EPG" button has been retired (per the release notes, just above the line you quoted, step 6 only applies to early beta versions).
post #384 of 3897 Old 06-17-2006, 04:54 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to set up CW_EPG and I've run into two problems I need to fix before I continue. First, I can't download any data. When I try, it waits 2.5 seconds and returns "Internet Connection Error." The log shows "Internet Connection Not Detected at . Download Aborted." I do have an Internet connection (high speed, continuous). I've created an account at labs.zap2it.com using the certificate code from CW_EPG Readme.txt. I can log into it with a web browser and I've selected channels to download.

To answer the obvious questions, I believe I followed the instructions in the Readme. I'm running Windows XP/SP2, MyHD 1.66.0.1 and CW_EPG 0.9.3.15. I renamed MyHD.exe and replaced it with the one from CW_EPG, and I entered my username and password in CW_EPG. And reentered it in case I got it wrong the first time.

I'm running Outpost Firewall and would expect it to pop up when CW_EPG tries to access the Internet, but it doesn't, and I see nothing in its log to suggest that anything tried. Disabling Outpost made no difference.

The second problem is that the CW_EPG window is too small to see everything in it and I can't resize it except to reduce it vertically. I'm running 1024x768, but other resolutions make no difference. The Listings tab shows the left edges of 3 buttons. The top one brings up the Options window, the middle one tries to download and the bottom one is an Information screen. If there are other buttons, I can't see them.

Are there other settings changes I need to make to get this working?
post #385 of 3897 Old 06-17-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ebo--

Try disabling the firewall to see if that solves your connection problem. {edit: Oops, I see that you did that already...hmm. I'm stumped...maybe you need to actually uninstall it? I'm not familiar with that firewall}

Otherwise, it sounds as though CW_EPG is confused about your desktop resolution. Do you have large fonts set? Have you tried overriding CW_EPG's automatic resolution setting and/or dpi setting to see if you can see the buttons, etc., better? (The bottom button on the Listings tab, BTW, is "schedule matches" not "an information screen") You can find these options described in the ReadMe.
post #386 of 3897 Old 06-17-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

ebo --

Above the "Internet Connection Not Detected at . Download Aborted." in the log file, there should be something along the lines of "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.

What is the number in the middle of that string?
post #387 of 3897 Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Try disabling the firewall to see if that solves your connection problem. {edit: Oops, I see that you did that already...hmm. I'm stumped...maybe you need to actually uninstall it? I'm not familiar with that firewall}

I'll admit I'm not as familiar with it as with Zone Alarm. But I've gradually been moving to it as ZA on one or another computer locks me out of the Internet and doesn't say it has done so (says everything is fine). But stopping it, with or without restarting it, lets me back on again. Haven't seen that problem with Outpost, unless this is an example. How does CW_EPG try to connect? Does it use an uncommon port that might be blocked? Does it need a Windows program I might have uninstalled or never set up, like Outlook Express?

Quote:

Otherwise, it sounds as though CW_EPG is confused about your desktop resolution. Do you have large fonts set? Have you tried overriding CW_EPG's automatic resolution setting and/or dpi setting to see if you can see the buttons, etc., better? (The bottom button on the Listings tab, BTW, is "schedule matches" not "an information screen") You can find these options described in the ReadMe.

That was it. I had DPI set to Large (120 DPI). I set it back to Normal (96 DPI) and everything fits. Harder to read desktop icons and probably other things though. I'm an HD addict with SD eyes.

How do I override CW_EPG's automatic resolution setting?

Quote:

Above the "Internet Connection Not Detected at . Download Aborted." in the log file, there should be something along the lines of "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.

What is the number in the middle of that string?

The number is 4.
post #388 of 3897 Old 06-18-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

How do I override CW_EPG's automatic resolution setting?

Having personally sweated over the CW_EPG ReadMe.txt file, I feel entitled to be insulted. (Especially since I already told you in my previous post to RTFM for this specific information--it's only a couple of pages, fer cryin' out loud, and that information is there)
post #389 of 3897 Old 06-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

One small thing I've noticed recently: If there is more than one instance of a show in a scheduling period (such as Smart Travels on PBS) it picks the later instance and then flags the earlier as seen. It's not a big thing but it would be nice to get the earlier one recorded.
post #390 of 3897 Old 06-19-2006, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jmonier--

It should be scheduling each unique EP # from the first "green" channel in your mapping list on the Options page and then marking the rest as "seen".
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page