Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 3897 Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nani,

Thanks for reminding me about the problem with concurrent access to the EPG database file when MyHD and CW_EPG happen to be running simultaneously. I suppose we could have done something (e.g., avoid trying to update the file in such cases?) to avoid errors in the Auto run, but we didn't think of that.

That's not likely Thorny1's problem though because there are several red flags that come up then, as you point out, and his (and my) failure is silent (and I wasn't running MyHD).

I now have some evidence that at least part of this rare problem is not directly caused by hardware failure...if I sort it out I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3897 Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thorny1---

I have some Voodoo for you to try and see if it may solve your Auto-run problem....

EDIT: The rest of this post related to a red herring, so I've deleted it to avoid wasting folks' time with a bogus recipe.
post #3873 of 3897 Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Hi,

Win XP is very primitive, perhaps "autoruns" would help on XP (not much use if you have no XP system anymore)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

The author knew more about Windows than the Windows programmers so Microsoft bought his company to get his services, he is now in one of the top pay grades at Microsoft.

Friday I will try and use autoruns on my XP HTPC.

I just started it on my W7 Laptop and "Scheduled Tasks' looks interesting.

SHF

post #3874 of 3897 Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why? I fail to see a gain.
post #3875 of 3897 Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

If you see double entries and after doing the procedure you see only one, then the Voodoo worked.

There must be some place in the registry the entries are located, I think that I found it about two years ago.

Autoruns is easier than searching the registry.

I found that XP SP2-3 had Powercfg (sp?) added but my attempt just failed. (Unknown)

It is difficult doing stuff on XP with a HDTV display as your only monitor, even with my new $4,400 eyes.

If Autoruns shows the CW_EPG  3:46 PM entry then if there are double entries it should show that also.

Looking at 30+ webpages has not found what I want. And looking at XP's logs shows no interesting entries.

XP is just so hard, like you say "Unfortunately I know of no way to view those in WinXP".

Autoruns may be a way.

I have different knowledge than you and other people and approach problems differently. I do not worry about failing or being told I am a fool, it all is an learning experience.

Some tidbit I post might allow you or some one to find the problem, but IMHO we are not getting close.

SHF

post #3876 of 3897 Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ah. Thanks for the clarification! I had mistakenly thought that you were somehow suggesting that Autoruns be used instead of the Automatic Settings in CW_EPG.

As you pointed out, the powercfg that appeared late in XP's life lacks many of the features it has in later OSes, including the ability to list waketimers. So if Autoruns can display waketimers under WinXP it would be a useful tool for confirming that there are/aren't doubled entries.

However, I'm pretty sure that the recipe I provided above will eliminate any that CW_EPG may have established. (BTW, this would only likely occur if there is some sort of irregular operation, such as the hardware issue that I had or "mucking around" with CW_EPG's configuration)

EDIT: See below for the resolution of Thorny1's issue. My own issue turned out to be precisely "mucking around" and had nothing to do with duplicated waketimers. rolleyes.gif
post #3877 of 3897 Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

False alarm, Sorry.

SHF

post #3878 of 3897 Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe it is solved! I checked the firewall settings before and the CWHelper was checked, but I didn't realize CW-EPG also had an entry (I just had to scroll down, duh). I gave it permission and all seems fine this morning.
post #3879 of 3897 Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

??? How did the manual downloads succeed if CW_EPG was denied at the firewall????

But...good to hear that it's now working for you. biggrin.gif
post #3880 of 3897 Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

That's why I didn't think the firewall was the problem, but I just kept digging around. Thanks for your help and all your work on this project.
post #3881 of 3897 Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Glad to hear that the problem is solved.

Is here any possibility that Windows Update Feb 2014 was active during the CW_EPG automatic run?

I have discovered that Windows Update can turn a laptop on when it is in a padded case causing it to overheat,

And if you are going up or down stairs when it turned on your hard drive could be damaged by a bump!

Never, repeat Never allow Windows Update to download and install updates automatically.

I have all my computers set to tell me about any updates (Just got an Update from MS telling me XP support will end!).

I download the updates and install them when my HTPC is idle.

I have changed Group Policy (PRO or higher) to not ever do this automatically.

The person who reported this was just as hot as his computer was in his padded case.

I am still on the trail as to why my W7 Laptop turns on and drains the battery. It was very hard but after several years I got my Vista Laptop to not turn on and drain the battery.

SHF

post #3882 of 3897 Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

I am still on the trail as to why my W7 Laptop turns on and drains the battery.
When I got started with W7 I found it had a lot of scheduled tasks that would turn the computer on at odd times like 03:00 to do who-knows-what. I got rid of a lot of it by disabling everything I could find related to WMC and W7's efforts to tell Microsoft about my "Windows Experience," etc.
post #3883 of 3897 Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

Quote:

I am still on the trail as to why my W7 Laptop turns on and drains the battery.
When I got started with W7 I found it had a lot of scheduled tasks that would turn the computer on at odd times like 03:00 to do who-knows-what. I got rid of a lot of it by disabling everything I could find related to WMC and W7's efforts to tell Microsoft about my "Windows Experience," etc.

Hi,

I have looked at the Task Schedular a lot as well as the Event log and so much more ~ 1-2 years ago.

It just happened this morning, I had mail before Windows Mail could download any. So the problem is freshly confirmed.

It only drains my battery a little so I was unsure.

I am way past any advice I could get from others and reading on the internet.

Waketimers must have been created about the EVIL Windows 3.0 time or changed when Windows 95 was created and Microsoft told the world that it was not going to take it any more and will be applying more and more pressure on programmers stopping them from giving Microsoft a bad name.

I know that CW_EPG will not be changed, but there is a better way. This was my false alarm, I just saw CW_EPG and missed "SyncBack".

"SyncBack CW_EPG.job" (SyncBack.exe)

Started 3/5/2014 3:49:00 PM

"SyncBack CW_EPG.job" (SyncBack.exe)

Finished 3/5/2014 3:49:04 PM

Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).

[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

From "SchedLgU.Txt" in  /Windows on XP.

SHF

post #3884 of 3897 Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nani, I'm not sure just what you're saying in the immediately above post. You can go into Task Scheduler and disable (or just disable their ability to wake your PC to run) any of the tasks that you feel are not essential. (I saw the same quixotic wakeups as you and ebo in the early W7 days. But IIRC, they were much less numerous on the RTM version of the OS than they were on the beta test version, where one didn't have the option to opt out of the "user experience" reporting upon installation)

On another subject (one more related to this thread; i.e., the rare failure of some CW_EPG Autoruns) I've finally(!) realized that it's "normal" for CW_EPG to post more than one waketimer for the next Autorun. redface.gif This, by itself, does not cause problems (or it would be doing so for most users). The failures that I observed on my W7 replacement for the dead XP machine were evidently caused by my slapdash method of (re)installing CW_EPG on it. After some proper housekeeping and setup, it's now running OK (with duplicated waketimers).
post #3885 of 3897 Old 03-08-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Nani, I'm not sure just what you're saying in the immediately above post. You can go into Task Scheduler and disable (or just disable their ability to wake your PC to run) any of the tasks that you feel are not essential. (I saw the same quixotic wakeups as you and ebo in the early W7 days. But IIRC, they were much less numerous on the RTM version of the OS than they were on the beta test version, where one didn't have the option to opt out of the "user experience" reporting upon installation)

On another subject (one more related to this thread; i.e., the rare failure of some CW_EPG Autoruns) I've finally(!) realized that it's "normal" for CW_EPG to post more than one waketimer for the next Autorun. redface.gif This, by itself, does not cause problems (or it would be doing so for most users). The failures that I observed on my W7 replacement for the dead XP machine were evidently caused by my slapdash method of (re)installing CW_EPG on it. After some proper housekeeping and setup, it's now running OK (with duplicated waketimers).

Hi,

I looked at the Task Scheduler library for more than 50 hours total. Similar time in the event viewer and how much more using the Registry Editor I do not remember. Lots!

It basely comes down to the fact that Windows itself uses the "Waketimers" in so many places and they do not show up in Task Scheduler.

That CW_EPG's Waketimer does not show up in Task Scheduler is just one case that proves this for third party programs.

Multiple waketimers are no problem, Windows must calculate when the next wakeup must occur and dispose of those that no longer are needed as the computer is running already.

That they should have been removed IMHO is an closed case.

Unsigned Drivers GONE!

16 Bit Programs GONE!

I have got the battery change down to 49% from it's 50% normal. (Laptop normally connected to AC, it extends the battery life.) So it is not as serious problem as in the past.

I reported before on never allowing Windows Update to Automatically start the computer and the Group Policy has been changed.

I discovered a web page on CSLID:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms691424(v=vs.85).aspx

The linked, chained, duplicated cascaded CSLIDs are the key, one that I no longer have the time to discover how they work for waketimers. 

Somewhere in the 150 - 250 MSDN CD and DVDs I have there must be something on waketimes, or in the MSDN magazines that I just never started reading.

After giving MS $600 for all of it's OS I should have gone to Computer Liter icy and came back with $200+ of books. That's what my Co-workers / Boss did one noon hour. Their company was sold for many millions.

CW_EPG automatic run  vs MyHD.

Two cases tested, two remaining.

1. MyHD doing a capture, OK.

2. MyHD just showing a live stream, OK,

3. MyHD  used to look at a program listing and then closed.

4. MyHD has the program listing open when the CW_EPG automatic run occurs.

I expect 3 to fail which makes 4 not required.

SHF

post #3886 of 3897 Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Quote:

CW_EPG automatic run vs MyHD.

Two cases tested, two remaining.

1. MyHD doing a capture, OK.

2. MyHD just showing a live stream, OK,

3. MyHD used to look at a program listing and then closed.

4. MyHD has the program listing open when the CW_EPG automatic run occurs. I expect 3 to fail which makes 4 not required.

Test 3 just failed.

Click for larger picture.

So test 4 is not needed, but 3B may prove interesting.

3B. MyHD viewing live DTV and on screen program guide is used and then closed.

Then MyHD is closed and started again.

If CW_EPG's automatic run proceeds normally then that would be a better alternate to using a different tuner during the CW_EPG automatic run which I am doing some of the time now.

SHF

post #3887 of 3897 Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:

... saving the CW_EPG  files to my N.A.S which happens automatically two minutes later).

SFischer1,

How do you have it set up to do this automatically? My server is a Linux box running Serviio and this would be very handy.
post #3888 of 3897 Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny1 View Post

Quote:

... saving the CW_EPG  files to my N.A.S which happens automatically two minutes later).

SFischer1,

How do you have it set up to do this automatically? My server is a Linux box running Serviio and this would be very handy.

Hi,

SyncBack is a Windows product.

Read the Webpage(s) for what targets can be used. It is more flexable than Windows Backup.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html

3:46 PM CW_EPG Automatic run.

3:49 PM SyncBack run.

SHF

post #3889 of 3897 Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thorny1, regarding copying/moving recordings to another box, you can write a simple batch file to do that and then you can schedule it via Task Scheduler to make it "automatic".

A terrific alternative to that is to use the VideoReDo free add-on called VAP. It can be used to automatically strip out commercials and then save the results in another location. This can also be triggered via Task Scheduler. But, of course, you need to have purchased VRD to use it.
post #3890 of 3897 Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Terry,

I move the DTV capture files to my N.A.S manually. Or to my W7 Laptop for editing. (International Mystery)

SynBack is used to automatically save the fresh CW_EPG folder files to the N.A.S. for disaster backup.

It is much more powerful than a batch file (And is Free).

I have thought about doing the DTV capture file moving using SyncBack but I decided not to use it for that.

My W7 Laptop is backed up at 6PM  for Nani and 6:30PM for the rest of the users.

I can quickly find any file I want as it is in the same place on my N.A.S and clearly readable.

Windows Backup, not a solution that I would suggest but I use it on the last day of the month.

SyncBack I would recommend over many other solutions that have been discarded in the past.

SHF

post #3891 of 3897 Old 03-10-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

So test 4 is not needed, but 3B may prove interesting.

3B. MyHD viewing live DTV and on screen program guide is used and then guide closed.

Then MyHD is closed and started again.

If CW_EPG's automatic run proceeds normally then that would be a better alternate to using a different tuner during the CW_EPG automatic run which I am doing some of the time now.

SHF

Hi,

Test 3B passed OK.

So if you want no problem with CW_EPG's automatic run close and reopen MyHD after viewing the on screen Program Listings. :D

SHF

Edit: Worked again. Looks good, just close MyHD and reopen it if you have used the on screen listings and the CW_EPG automatic run is upcoming. (During a commercial is a good time.)

post #3892 of 3897 Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Can someone help me?

I have a HD Homerun with CW EPS for scheduling - however, all the programs I record are send to the c"\homerun directory - so that I often ran out of disk space. I have an external hard drive that I would like to send the recording to.
Is there a way to have the recordings saved directly to the hard drive? or do I have to use a batch file to transfer the recordings?

Thanks

cool.gif
post #3893 of 3897 Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM

The problem child is back! I had no problems for 2-3 days, but now the automatic run fails with Cannot find Database cw-epg.mdb.
post #3894 of 3897 Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post

Can someone help me?

I have a HD Homerun with CW EPS for scheduling - however, all the programs I record are send to the c"\homerun directory - so that I often ran out of disk space. I have an external hard drive that I would like to send the recording to.
Is there a way to have the recordings saved directly to the hard drive? or do I have to use a batch file to transfer the recordings?

Thanks

cool.gif
RTFM? biggrin.gif Click the Options button on the Main tab to open the tuner configuration window. Then right click on the tuner icons in the upper left pane of that window to expose the tuner settings, where you can set the recording destination folder.
post #3895 of 3897 Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny1 View Post

The problem child is back! I had no problems for 2-3 days, but now the automatic run fails with Cannot find Database cw-epg.mdb.
Please see item G.10 in the MyHD MetaFAQ.
post #3896 of 3897 Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post

Can someone help me?

Thanks

cool.gif
You can either configure CW_EPG under
Options->Right Click on the Tuner->Set Capture Directory

Or if you have one of the newer Windows version (7 or later) that let you create soft link of directories.
Move the C:\homerun to something like D:\somewhere
Run the command prompt as administrator
execute: mklink /D C:\homerun D:\somewhere
post #3897 of 3897 Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just got the hdhomerun plus. The part where I add channel (next to auto map) is greyed out. What am I missing here? I guess it has something to do with the SD station list being empty.

edit: nevermind, I didnt correctly download the lineup data.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page