Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 140 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #4171 of 4197 Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
PS to Dartman: You could use your Prime with CW_EPG also, which is what tranle and at least one other user currently do. It's a bit of a kluge and costs $25/year for the S.D. EPG data, but it gets you transport-stream recordings (.tp files) without further futzing.
Unless you cable company flags nearly everything as Copy Once, as I understand Time Warner does. Then I don't think CW_EPG will work except maybe for locals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4197 Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 22
ebo, I dropped cable instantly when they encrypted my local channels and I don't have a Prime HDHR box so my information is all third hand, but IIUC, the CW_EPG users who have jumped the hoops to get their Prime tuners to play ball with us are as successful as folks using WMC. Perhaps Minh and/or Steve will chime in here....
post #4173 of 4197 Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks guys, everything works because I also upgraded to the latest version of VideoRedo that supports WTV format as it comes from WMC so no problems with that. Once I edit things down it will convert to just about any format I desire. I usually use MKV as it seems to be a slightly smaller container and all my media players play it nicely, plus VideoRedo doesn't have to do any transcoding so it converts very fast.
I haven't re upped my sub to he EPG seeing how media center handles it for free but it worked well enough when I had my other HDTV card back when basic cable wasn't encrypted here, and the price was right and support was great
post #4174 of 4197 Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Nani, Java does not equal Javascript. I'd be amazed if AVS Forum used Java and I've seen no notices that Java should be allowed to run in Browsers. Javascript on the otherhand is very common (and does not require that you even have Java installed on your PC).

Does this count? https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...land-security/

That's two years ago. I want to look at the planes landing at SFO and having this off appears to stop the software running.

http://www.flysfo.com/community-envi...light-tracking

It's trying to start with a bigger download than Google Earth.

SHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Java in Browsers.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	664634  
post #4175 of 4197 Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks as though you'll have to bite the Java bullet, Nani, if you're going to watch the aeroplanes.

I would do so only with the latest Java and even then I'd try running Volans in a Virtual Machine sandbox.
post #4176 of 4197 Old 04-13-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks as though you'll have to bite the Java bullet, Nani, if you're going to watch the aeroplanes.

I would do so only with the latest Java and even then I'd try running Volans in a Virtual Machine sandbox.
It runs so slow with my Eight (8) CPU W7 system that the one CPU Virtual Machine may just not hack it.

After my understanding is shot down that the problems with KNTV are due to airplanes I will turn it off.

The viewer is just South of SFO and the path to KNTV matches exact ally the low flying airplanes. I sure would like it to be something else.

The SFO Java application sure looks like it is secure. A better case than my being scared to delete an application built with a W2K installer. Dum Dum Dum Me.

SHF
post #4177 of 4197 Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

SFischer1:
If your goal is to see where the airplanes are when you're having reception problems, rather than getting a view from the cockpit, you might want to investigate ADSB# and ADSBScope, two programs that work with a cheap DVB-T receiver. It's demonstrated on Hak5 episode 1525, "Track Aircraft with a $20 Software Defined Radio." The segment starts about 10:25 in but skip to ~18:30 for the final result to see if it looks useful. The map is pretty crude but they might have better ones by now. I haven't tried it but I do use the receiver with other software as a cheap spectrum analyzer. Real time for signals <2 MHz wide. 6 MHz TV channels take longer, like a Polaroid snapshot. So you can't see the multipath ripple through the waveform when planes fly by as you could with a real spectrum analyzer.
post #4178 of 4197 Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
SFischer1:
If your goal is to see where the airplanes are when you're having reception problems,
No, it is not me but a person North West of me.

I got the airplane tracker to work, well a little. It displays a little and then stops. This shows six (6) airplanes getting ready to land at SFO.
San Francisco, CA - OTA

This shows the viewers path to KNTV on Mt. San Bruno. Sutro is almost on the same path.
San Francisco, CA - OTA

More words suggesting airplanes are the problem but it has been shot down. The experts are looking for the answer elsewhere.
San Francisco, CA - OTA

SHF
post #4179 of 4197 Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back To The Dark Ages

Pardon the intrusion but I thought I would as least ask.......

From the dark ages of rctvcap and rcgraphbuilder. My HTPC bit the dust in a major way a month ago. Its resurrection seemed a difficult task so I opted for the DVR option from DirecTV. While impressed with its capabilities I need to get the HTPC back up and running. I use rctvcap to record off two DTV boxes. To get rctvcap to run in the past I used rcgraphbuilder.

Now when I run rcgraphbuilder I get the dreaded "can't find filter: File Dump". Having grown a bit older since the early 2000 I can't remember how to get around this problem.

Somebody out there remember????

Please and thank you.
post #4180 of 4197 Old 04-17-2015, 06:13 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Pardon me for responding to a topic I know nothing about (doesn't seem related to CW_EPG) but if you're talking about the Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR you'll probably get more help in that thread. A quick search turned up lots of old messages about rctvcap and rcgraphbuilder. Also see ARogan's blog. The PVR should have come with Arcsoft software on a disc; once installed look for C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Mpeg Engine\filedump.ax. Make sure it's registered by running regsvr32 filedump.ax (probably as Administrator).
post #4181 of 4197 Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Update on Win8, 10 and Java 8 compatibility

Quote:
The fly in the ointment that I just discovered lately is that Windows 8 and Win10 Tech Preview both have broken the way that CW_EPG handles waking up for scheduled recordings.
Dale and I have been looking at this problem (and the Java 8 one) and he's created a fix such that CW_EPG will work with these newer OSes. But we've run into a bug in the new driver that was needed, which prevents proper operation on Win10 (and, I think, Win8) so we are seeking a workaround before releasing an update for beta test.
post #4182 of 4197 Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Dale and I have been looking at this problem (and the Java 8 one) and he's created a fix such that CW_EPG will work with these newer OSes. But we've run into a bug in the new driver that was needed, which prevents proper operation on Win10 (and, I think, Win8) so we are seeking a workaround before releasing an update for beta test.
Is there an issue with Windows 7?
And will that also be included in the Java 8 fix for Win10 & Win8?

Thanks,

Chris C
post #4183 of 4197 Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Chris--

Yes, there is an issue in all Windows versions after upgrading to Java 8. The issue is that Java 8 has dropped support for the driver that CWHelper uses to access the MDB file where it maintains the "localhost:8181/recent" report. It doesn't affect scheduling or actual recordings, however, so it's a relatively minor problem. Dale's new code will fix it on all Windows versions.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #4184 of 4197 Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

post #4185 of 4197 Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In the long run we're all "doomed", Nani. It's about time that HDHR produced a complete product and they should be able to make some polished software for $100k (OK, so it will end up costing more--I know some folks who could give them a big head start. ). But going head-to-head with AppleTV is a very tough game. I wish them well.
post #4186 of 4197 Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
CW-epg serves it's purpose even if the maintainers of Cliff's 'baby' decide to put a cost on their work. Actually, I never knew Cliff, but if he had a family that survived him, I would gladly donate to a fund for providing this program.

Chris C
post #4187 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Schedules Direct is having server problems today 5/8/2015. CW-EPG is hanging waiting for the auto download to complete.

steve

-----------
post #4188 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post
Schedules Direct is having server problems today 5/8/2015. CW-EPG is hanging waiting for the auto download to complete.

steve
Did you try again on manual?
Mine runs at 9:00 AM and I had no issues; perhaps I snuck in there beforehand.

Chris C
post #4189 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It seems normal now here too. I just ran a manual download without issue. Steve, maybe you should move your Autorun to later in the day so that the sleepy heads further West can have a chance to discover and fix glitches.
post #4190 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It seems normal now here too. I just ran a manual download without issue. Steve, maybe you should move your Autorun to later in the day so that the sleepy heads further West can have a chance to discover and fix glitches.
oh well, when i had the problem this morning at 8:35 am eastern, i restarted cwepg 3 times till i went to SD website, which had a notice posted in yellow at the top of their home page, about them having server problems.

i was just trying to help other users before they ran into the same problem and wondered what was wrong with CW-EPG.

everybody can go back to what they were doing again...

steve

-----------
post #4191 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The heads-up is appreciated.
post #4192 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
The heads-up is appreciated.
Plus 1 on the heads-up; I've had issues in the past and not found out till I missed a recording.

...so thanks.

Chris C
post #4193 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ebo, I dropped cable instantly when they encrypted my local channels and I don't have a Prime HDHR box so my information is all third hand, but IIUC, the CW_EPG users who have jumped the hoops to get their Prime tuners to play ball with us are as successful as folks using WMC. Perhaps Minh and/or Steve will chime in here....
actually, cw-epg works really well when used with the HDHR Prime. CW-EPG makes a scanxxxx.txt file for each of the three tuners in the Prime box. the user only has to edit one of those files to remove the 'encrypted' designation from the channels that are in your subscription. then you copy and replace/rename the other two scanxxxx.txt files with the edited file. of the 320 channels that i have from comcast, only one is not useable because of an internal flag. editing that scanxxxx.txt file is not as tedious as it sounds because the cable card provides the stb channel number and call sign in simple text format. i use notepad to search for 'encrypted' and replace it with a space. removing the 'encrypted' designation from unsubscribed channels will not allow you to use them. the cable card still has those encrypted.

using this method, i am able to use an old winxp box with out WMC for everything. i use the earlier version of quicktv to watch live programming and mpc-hc to display captured content. quicktv works well using ac3filter 1.63 for sound and an old cyberlink video codec for hd video. this combination works extremely well for every box i've used up thru win10/64.

steve

-----------
post #4194 of 4197 Old 05-08-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve! We still need to issue an update to handle properly the changes in Java 8 and Win 8.x and 10, but with those done we'll be able to help out the HDHR and FusionHDTV folks who've been deserted by Microsoft's lack of Win 10 support for WMC!

Last edited by TPeterson; 05-08-2015 at 06:32 PM.
post #4195 of 4197 Unread Yesterday, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
I had to change my C: drive disk so I had to re-install Windows and CW_EPG but now CwHelper.exe cannot find Java.
How does CwHelper.exe find where Java is installed ?

If I only install java-1.6u45 then it find java but if I also install either java-1.7u79 or java-1.8u45, CwHelper.exe does not find java any more.
I need the other java installed for some of my other program.

Thanks.
I am unsure what your problem is but FreeGuide uses a full path that contains the Java version number which changes with each Java update. I am sure that CW_EPG uses a different method.

I think Oracle is messing up somehow but "Default Programs" on W7 does not allow me to fix the problem so a registry search is needed for me to understand what is going on.

When a new release of FreeGuide was required for the same reason that a new version of CW_EPG was required I could not figure out what was going on thus the full path to Java was used.

Terry will be here soon to better help you. I need to go to sleep so I cannot do an Google search again to try and understand what is going on.

Oracle has a method to remove old Java versions which I would do before installing Java again. (32 Bit or 64 Bit version on what OS?)

SHF
post #4196 of 4197 Unread Today, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nani--

Since Minh deleted his post that you quoted, I imagine that he solved his problem. Not finding newer Java engines is one of the things that will be fixed in the update to the CW_EPG package that's in the works.
post #4197 of 4197 Unread Today, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes I found out what my problem was.
As I had just re-installed everything, some stuff did not get updated in registry until a few reboot later. And everything is working as before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page