Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Oh, I know that there's a "new version" coming out...I just don't know "when". . . (Almost certainly, it will not address "Job #1" separate play and record)

Especially after TiVo's successful patent infringement suit against Dish Network over the same capability. I suspect the only way it would ever happen is if MIT made it possible as they have CW_EPG, but left it to others such as this group to actually implement it. And they'd probably have to maintain plausible deniability that that was their intent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Oh, I know that there's a "new version" coming out...I just don't know "when". Based on what I see going on in the HTPC world, though, there is little likelihood that said new version will contain anything more than the few bug fixes we've helped to instigate and the hooks that CW_EPG needs. (Almost certainly, it will not address "Job #1" separate play and record)

Hi,

Does this mean that we should at least report all the "minor" bugs and trivial enhancement requests?

I would really like to see the major bugs fixed but getting many of the annoyances reduced would at least be helpful.

"separate play and record", is that not just a Fusion Card?

That was my solution and the ability to record two HDTV programs a bonus.

(To TPeterson - comment on a private message: Yes the Fusion bug list is longer than the MyHD one and has many more " It just don't work right items and many more incompletely done stuff". MyHD is just better done in most ways. If the MyHD programmers could just fix the major bugs and repair all the the stuff that is present but does not work it would be really wonderful.)

If the previously suggested scheduling for "Fusion" by "CW_EPC" is actually done
then we would have a killer ap for "Fusion" only users and "MyHD" users with both cards.

Stephen WY. Fischer
Old 08-22-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Does this mean that we should at least report all the {MyHD} "minor" bugs and trivial enhancement requests?

Not in this thread, please.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I get zero byte files everytime the EPG add-on scehdules the capture. I can manually record a show and everything is fine. This occurs with both OTA and QAM recordings. Any ideas on the problem? It doesn't seem like anyone else has a zero byte problem.

I am using the beta 9.3.15 version and the MyHD 1.66u version.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 - P4 series 630 chip - 3.0Mhz with hyperthreading turned off
Windows MCE 2005
MyHD 130 with DVI daughtercard

The EPG works great, I even run it in auto mode. It picks up the schedule, and schedules captures just fine, it's just that the end result is a zero byte file.

Thanks for all the great work you guys have done. Hopefully this is an issue that is easy to diagnose and fix.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Assuming you're running the latest drivers and such, I'd say you need to check the channel mappings in CW_EPG and make sure they are mapped properly.

Might even be best to wipe them out and start over with the mapping....

Terry - Theres not any issues with Windows MCE 2005 are there?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

{I agree with Tim:} My first guess is that you don't have the channels mapped correctly. Double check the mappings in CW_EPG's Options panel.

What do you see if you use CW_EPG to schedule an event to "watch"? Does MyHD tune to the correct channel?

Since (1) MCE ignores the BDA-driverless MDP and (2) manually scheduled captures are working, I don't think that this has anything to do with the OS. BTW, sic0048, if I misunderstood about (2) let us know. That would then mean that your problem is not a CW_EPG issue.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

Feature request: There's a lot of useful information about a show in the Zap2It listings that I'd like to retain when I make a recording, such as episode title, description, record date, time & channel, etc. I'd like an option to save all of that into a text file when the recording is scheduled. Same directory as the recording, same filename but with a .txt or .nfo extension.

I know you guys have already beat this one pretty good, but I can't imagine trying to look through over 100 recordings with only a show title only, or even show title + episode (I don't even consider date and channel as useful in this context since they don't help define the contents of the show). As an alternate to the extra files idea, what about populating the title, episode, release date, full description, all of that stuff, into the file's extended attributes? We run this thing every day, it could be a command line option that would signal the app to look in a set of specified directories for files without attributes and populate the attributes from the mdb. What I'm thinking this would look like is the following: if you listed the ts files in windows explorer, and if you put your cursor on one, the extended attributes would show on the left column of the window. I don't know how they did it, but somehow I get lots of details for mp3 files like that after I installed an audio file converter.

Alternatively, someone could code what would be a very simple app that would start with the mdb and compare the contents there with file names on a specified set of directories, of course showing only found files. That would presume that the file name can be deduced from the contents there (concatenating date, channel, title, substituting for slash and colon, etc). The project would only stay 'very simple' if done for 'standard' file naming, if there is such a thing.

--Dale--
Old 08-26-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I've tried some things this afternoon. I remapped all the channels, but I really think they were correct the first time.

If I use Titian TV to schedule a recording, it will work fine. If I simply press the record button on the MyHD application while watching a show, it will work fine. But if I use the EPG software, I get a zero byte file every time. I've tried many channels, OTA and QAM and the results are the same.

I can record using Titan TV app and the use the EPG to record the show immediately following on the same channel and the Titan TV file is file, while the EPG file will be a zero bit file.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT - OK - It seems that there IS a newer driver than I was using. Obviously that is probably my problem. I'll give an update in a few minutes after I install the new drivers and give it a few trials.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

Old 08-26-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Not having the newest drivers was the issue. I had the 1.66 drivers, I was just unaware there was the newer 1.66.0.1 version. It fixes the zero byte file issues oddly enough .

Thanks for the quick responses Tim and Terry. I had downloaded the program when it first came out, but hadn't really messed with it until this week. It is absolutely a thing of beauty!

Cliff would have loved it....

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Alright, now that I have everything working properly, I've come across my first request...

Is it possible to add an option to record only HD episodes of a certain show?

For example, a want to schedule recordings of Battlestar Galactica on Universal HD. They show each episode several times, some being in HD and some in SD (at least according to TitanTV - it is quite possible that all the episodes are in HD and Titan just as it wrong). Is there a way to have the program only schedule the HD episodes automatically?

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's possible, but it's a bad idea. As you guessed, Zap2It's data on what's in HD and what's not is imperfect. So you wouldn't want to use it for the recording go/no-go criterion, but it's the only one available.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I will also add that if a certain episode is capture in SD, then the same HD episode is treated as if it has not been seen if it is set as a "New To Me" episode and rescheduled.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

I will also add that if a certain episode is capture in SD, then the same HD episode is treated as if it has not been seen if it is set as a "New To Me" episode and rescheduled.

Then that would give me the end result that I am looking for. I was worried that the SD episode would record first and prevent a HD version of the same episode from recording.

Again, thanks for all you work on this incredible program. It's made me start using the MyHD 130 again - I had pretty much given up on it with the old zero byte file problem, lack of BDA driver (I use MCE), and lack of a program like yours to make scheduling recordings more manageable.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 PM

I have been running CW-EPG as a scheduled task for a while with no problems. Suddenly for the last few days I have been getting "Internal Server Error While Attempting Download"... windows pop-up error message. I press "OK" and it goes to "GETTING DATA" and then completes, with one more "internal server error" message... The LOG shows 2 internal server errors as well. When the error'ed download is complete I am now getting 2 of each listing - IE I get 2 identical listings for ESPN-HD, then 2 identical listings for TNT-HD, etc...

I suspect it may be a problem with new channel listings as I had a listing-related error before, but I dont know...

HELP???

Patrick
----------
Old 08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe Zap2It had some problems a couple of mornings ago.... Have you tried deleting the cw_sched.mdb so that it does a complete reload of fresh data?

We hope to have another version out soon that may help these problems also.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Terry, in response to "should we post about minor bugs and such?"

Quote:

Not in this thread, please.

What about minor bugs that we're (I'm) pretty sure were introduced by the CW_EPG updates made to the MyHD app/driver?

It's a minor bug indeed, but annoying, and not directly related to CW_EPG functionality (and specific to guys like me who drive MyHD with the keyboard instead of the remote).

In any case, good to know that the MIT folks are still willing to provide some support, if not tackling "Job 1" (yet).
Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Doggie--

I can't stand the suspense!

What's this mysterious "minor bug" that was "introduced by the CW_EPG updates"??
Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 PM

I deleted (actually renamed) the CW_SCHED file... same thing, still get the 2 "internal server error" erros...

Patrick
----------
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post

I deleted (actually renamed) the CW_SCHED file... same thing, still get the 2 "internal server error" erros...

Have you logged into the Zap2it! web site and checked out your settings there to make sure everything is Okie Dokie???
Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 PM

fixed it... its was, er, uh, "subscription expired"... oops... :-(

I'm pretty sure that would be in the LOG and I missed it... maybe as an enhancement idea, when the subscription expires, write into the EPG data "expired" or something, that way when "boneheads" like myself miss that, it becomes obvious when you view the TV listings in MYHD?

Patrick
----------
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That version is supposed to have a warning box within a week of expiration, but it's broken....

The next version is corrected.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM

if it is run as a scheduled task would the warning still appear? I can easily go weeks without ever starting the CW_EPG program other than as the task

Patrick
----------
Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Doggie--

What's this mysterious "minor bug" that was "introduced by the CW_EPG updates"??

Y'know, after I posted that, I thought "I'd better figure out exact repro steps now", and I did (for part of it)...but now I'm wondering if it isn't due to new behavior on my part, induced by the increased number of recordings I get due to CW_EPG!

Anyway, it goes like this:

1. Double-click on a .ts file to start MyHD. In my case, MyHD starts with just the console showing, overlay is off, I don't have it start in HD mode.

2. After that file plays for a bit, stop MyHD by clicking on the stop button on the console. Typically, I go into HD mode then back out, but that's not necessary to reproduce this.

3. Double-click on another file to start that in MyHD.

4. Go into HD mode via the button on the console, and there's Part 1:

The OSD stuff (channel, bit rate, filename, etc) is displayed, and it won't fade away.

I've found that I can make it go away--most of the time--by hitting ctrl-enter on the keyboard or the OK button on the remote. This, however, will also bring up an admonition to "Press FAV for play list", plus a timeline bar displayed at the bottom. OK again will get rid of the timeline, and hitting FAV on the remote will produce that menu; hitting it again makes it go away. After that, you've finally got a clear screen.

Sorry you asked? I thought so.

There's more, but I don't know how to make it happen: it gets so that I can't clear the OSD, and MyHD won't respond to ESC on the keyboard to leave HD mode (but it will respond to the HD button and/or the power button on the remote). I end up with this somewhat worse condition once or twice a week. To resolve it, I simply stop MyHD and start it again, and I'm OK.

Why do I go thru this set of keyboard gymnastics? Because I get a lot more recordings now, many of which are "re-runs" (I re-record certain things to make sure I get clean captures for archiving). I'll play a bit, stop it, and if it's something I don't need/want, I'll delete it, then move on to the next one.

And, sorry to say, I much prefer using good ol' Windows Explorer to look thru my captures than the onscreen menu.

So...maybe an old, minor bug (affects only me, I'm the only nut job using MyHD this way), which surfaced due to the change in my life wrought by CW_EPG (for which, again, I thank you guys, it's a killer app).

Best,

LDog
Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Doggie--

Hi,

I have seen a while back a lot of times that the OSD will not go off for a very long period of time. MyHD is unresponsive to any attempts of control by any means until the OSD disappears.

Periods of this activity come and go. Lately it has not appeared.

I have thought that this may be brought out with my 2 CPU system so I have not commented before.

Stephen H. Fischer
Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ldog: "Bug" noted. I bet that your guess about this being an old bug manifested by your new behavior is right. Have you tried reverting to the 1.66.0 app and driver to see if they fail to show it?

Also, from your description I suspect that another workaround would be to simply exit MyHD between Windows Explorer file openings. Also^2, did you know that you can use ctrl-O when viewing the control panel in File mode to start a Windows File Open dialog?

Stephen: Ldog's bug is provoked specifically by a second "external" invocation of the MyHD app from Windows Explorer. Can you confirm that his procedure has the same result on your PC?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:

Ldog: "Bug" noted.

Thanks. Quotes or not, it is a bug, but with known workarounds and an affected user count of exactly one!

Quote:

I bet that your guess about this being an old bug manifested by your new behavior is right. Have you tried reverting to the 1.66.0 app and driver to see if they fail to show it?

No, minor bugs are worth minor effort--that it exists in the current version is, I'd think, sufficient. I'd be very happy if MIT chose to ignore this bug in favor of working on Job #1.

Quote:

Also, from your description I suspect that another workaround would be to simply exit MyHD between Windows Explorer file openings.

Sure, and initially that's what I was doing, but this is quicker (no need to wait for MyHD to start up...not that it takes that long. Color me impatient).

Quote:

Also^2, did you know that you can use ctrl-O when viewing the control panel in File mode to start a Windows File Open dialog?

Didn't, duly noted, very cool, but the problem manifests itself there as well, if I use that to open the second file instead of using Windows Exploder.

Quote:

Stephen: Ldog's bug is provoked specifically by a second "external" invocation of the MyHD app from Windows Explorer. Can you confirm that his procedure has the same result on your PC?

Plus, I don't have a situation where MyHD is totally unresponsive, and it's not that the OSD won't go away for "very long periods of time"--it stays on as long as MyHD is running and you don't do one of the corrective actions I've outlined (I guess that is a long time, but it's not "...and after a long time, it goes out."

I wish I could figure out how to reliably repro the "you can't make the OSD go away at all" case. I can tell you that it happens when I switch from this file vetting activity to watching live TV. That said, my attempts to reproduce it have failed.

Best,

LDog
Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LDog--

Bad news. Your "bug" doesn't reproduce here when I follow your recipe. I even went so far as to copy your perversity in using a pair of ".ts" files and the OSD did not come unbidden.

If you want to follow this any further, let's take it to the MDP-130 thread where it belongs.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:

LDog--
If you want to follow this any further, let's take it to the MDP-130 thread where it belongs.

Will do, with this parting notice here: Managed to reproduce the "OSD won't go away no matter what" scenario tonight, simply by opening a .ts file and watching it!

Woe is me...

Ldog
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 PM

this is a brainstorm, not fool proof, but maybe could get some greater minds going on a slick solution:

i have two pc's each using mdp-120 and cw_epg, one is primary recording, the other is for viewing and extraneous time conflict resolution. the more i look at cw_epg log files, the more i learn about what it is doing. i do know that when a time conflict comes up there is specific wording in the log indicating that a capture reservation was not made.

what would it take to have that wording in the log file (or something more embedded in the code) trigger an action that would send that attempted capture to the cw_epg on the other machine, using a defined ip address and myhd program path?

in my case, 99% of the time there is nothing else set to capture on the viewing box, but conceivably there could be other captures already scheduled which could lead to a problem, unless you have a way to make the "send over" be put to a priority.

thanks in advance.

tickled to be here
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jcr74--

You anticipate the team's thinking for "version 2" or "1.x". Right now, we're concentrating on getting the 1.0 feature set (most of which are in the already-released beta) fully working.

If you want networked scheduling of more than one machine right now, I suggest that you cozy up to AllenDB's Record_This app.