Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16

CW_EPG Version 4.1.0 (updated 12/25/10)
(note: $20/year subscription to Schedules Direct TV listings required for use--but you can try it free for 7 days)

Merry Christmas!

See the QuickStart file for some initial screen shots. For more and some details on the new features, check out the new, enhanced ReadMe file.
======================

INTRODUCTION
============

The Cliff Watson Electronic Program Guide (CW_EPG) is a tool that works cooperatively with the MyHD and FusionHDTV applications and the HD Homerun tuner units to improve your television-scheduling and schedule-viewing experience.

The typical scheduling approach in both FusionHDTV and MyHD uses TitanTV as a source of programming information, which works very well for one-off captures. But it's hard to set up captures for a desired show series because (1) program schedules often vary from week to week, (2) TitanTV only shows two week's worth of programming, and (3) MyHD and FusionHDTV both have only simple-periodic recurring capture modes in daily or weekly repetitive patterns. Their built-in alternative to TitanTV is to use the PSIP programming information that is supposed to be sent along with the DTV data stream. However, that data source is often unsatisfactory, because the station either doesn't send it at all or only sends it a few hours ahead of the scheduled programs. Also, the PSIP information is only available for a given channel after you have tuned to it for a minute or so.

In contrast to TitanTV and the PSIP data, the CW_EPG scheduling approach downloads a complete schedule of television shows for all your channels for the next twelve days and (for MyHD users) displays it in the OSD EPG tables where the PSIP data used to appear. The schedule information comes from a Schedules Direct account (that you will need to set-up).

CW_EPG can handle recurring captures much better than does the hardware manufacturers' software alone. You can have CW_EPG automatically update the EPG listings daily and use the current data to schedule recordings on all your network-connected tuners. The recordings are based on matches to the list of shows that you provide via the CW_EPG control panel. VoilÃ*--you can have "season passes" to all your favorite shows!

CW_EPG, with its ability to manage scheduled events for MyHD, Fusion, and HD Homerun hardware, gives you a convenient single interface to manage your scheduled recordings. Rather than dealing with several interfaces and manually splitting events between tuners, you just tell CW_EPG how you want to use your tuners (primary, secondary, etc.). Events are then scheduled based on the priorities you have defined.

The big deal with version 4 is that CW_EPG can now handle scheduling for all the supported tuners on your LAN rather than a single PC!

Using CW_EPG, the end result is still standard MyHD, Fusion, and (CW_EPG driven) HD Homerun capture events, but they are mapped out using CW_EPG's 'brains'. CW_EPG just hands the appropriate tuner software one-time captures that make sure you record all of the shows that you have specified by name or pattern, no matter when or on what channel they appear.

DOWNLOAD THE CURRENT VERSION
==============================

To get the new package, click here and follow the QuickStart instructions to set it up. (Note: If you’re already running a previous version of CW_EPG 4.0, you may simply run the setup executable to install this version over the previous one, repeating that step for any Helpers that you are using. Just make sure to update all PCs prior to running CW_EPG 4.1 the first time. There are instructions in the ReadMe for those updating from earlier versions)

Please post any issues that you discover to this thread.

CHANGES IN LATEST VERSION (See ReadMe for complete history)
===============

12/25/10 Version 4.1.0 released

- Helper OSD EPG database (cw_epg.mdb) updated
- Timeout on stalled Schedules Direct downloads
- Don't check for channels on offline PCs
- Episode number added to mouse-over hint on the Matches pane
- Fixed mapped channel delete cosmetic bug where grid would shift
- Clear All Schedules should remove all from History database
- Check only servers that have mapped channels defined on program start
- Fixed that M*A*S*H would not properly schedule
- Fixed error when dragging to end of Programs To Match list
- Rework Schedules Direct data update to eliminate dupes that were being created
- Added multiselection for deletion on History tab
- Highlighted History item survives sorting
- Do not show success message after a failed scheduling attempt
- New DevID format in capture file names

KNOWN ISSUES
===============

- Upgrade installation with Vista/Win7 UAC in its default (i.e., on) state may cause failure to preserve old configuration data and the history database.

Enjoy!

--The CW_EPG team:
AllenDB
HdtvinCR
KAXKID
Sengsational
TPeterson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Didn't take long to set up cause I had just done the same steps for MyHD_Auto. The CW_EPG program worked fine, I scheduled a couple of recordings and populated the EPG for MyHD. However, when I try to open MyHD, I get this message window:
LL
post #3 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Edit added 12/28/10.

I suggest that if you're new to CW_EPG you should probably not bother reading the first several dozen pages of this thread, as it relates to the first release back in 2006 and doesn't have much to do with the current version, which supports not only MyHD but also FusionHDTV and HD Homerun tuners. It's very easy to use and greatly simplifies use of any of these tuners to capture DTV programs following easily entered rules.

If you have an HD Homerun or other supported tuner, just give it a try and post to this thread for help if you need it.
post #4 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Did you copy the MyHD.exe file into the folder where you had installed MyHD version 1.66? Or perhaps you forgot to first install version 1.66? I guess we need to update the ReadMe to be more explicit about the fact that this will only work with version 1.66 of MyHD.

Yep, backed up myHD.exe, copied new MyHD.exe into the folder. Anything else I can check? I'm quite sure I was using 1.66. I remember updating shortly after I installed the board a couple of weeks ago.

I'm on an Intel P4 with XP Pro, all updates.

UPDATE: oops, just restored the myhd.exe file.... I had 1.65u. I'll update now and try it again.
post #5 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, that did it. Had to fiddle around with some settings, uncheck the Use Web Guide box, but now it's working, including the EPG. Looks good!
post #6 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I just searched through the CW_EPG readme.txt file, and the first post in this thread, and didn't find anything about version 1.66 until you mentioned it in your reply to me. I feel a bit less stupid now. LOL

Yes, you definitely need to let people know that.
post #7 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Version 1.66 has now been out for over 6 months. I'd actually forgotten that there might still be folks out there using an earlier one. Thanks for surfacing the issue.
post #8 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started using this program today and it's great. The only thing I have a question about is setting up the batch file to run the program and download the updated data. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #9 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Version 1.66 has now been out for over 6 months. I'd actually forgotten that there might still be folks out there using an earlier one. Thanks for surfacing the issue.

Yep, they're still selling them, so there's bound to be some of us johnny-come-latelies who just installed it and haven't had any problems that made us install updates. I had actually downloaded 1.66 before the card arrived, and then forgot to apply it. I'm a HiPix veteran, so the MyHD is a vast improvement. I've been enjoying it a lot. All the addon tools are fun and useful too. Thanks to all of you!
post #10 of 3897 Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Adrian--

Just try it for a while manually and see if you can find any bugs. Then you can experiment with setting up a Windows Task Scheduler event to launch it. (Hint: You don't actually even need a batch file)

Within a week I'll post a tutorial on this for those who haven't figured it out for themselves.
post #11 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 12:34 AM

Just tried out the CW_EPG. Very nice. Great work guys!
post #12 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well now, I guess I'm gonna have to get off my duff and actually install one or more of all these HDTV watching/recording add-ons.... but I'm a bit confused (seems to happen more and more as I get older ?) There's WatchHDTV and MyHDAuto, MyHDPlayListManager, now CW_EPG and maybe more? Where/how do they all fit together?

I sure do miss him....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #13 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

There's WatchHDTV and MyHDAuto, MyHDPlayListManager, now CW_EPG and maybe more? Where/how do they all fit together?

Let me help you out..

WatchHDTV - I know nothing about it but the web page I looked at mentions nothing about supporting the MyHD card.

MyHDAuto - Was the base app that has turned into CW_EPG. Look at CW_EPG as an upgrade to MyHDAuto.

PlayListManager - Is a seperate tool created by AllenDB for working with playlists. It does not schedule or feed the EPG. Eventually CW_EPG will likely contain these features, but not yet.

So... All's you need right now is CW_EPG and PlaylistManager for working with the MyHD card.
post #14 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Excellent work guys! And a very fitting tribute.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #15 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Excellent work guys! And a very fitting tribute.

Ditto.

Does this change anything about the actual process of recording, as opposed to the scheduling? In other words, is this just an alternative way to get the MyHD program to do the same thing, or is it doing something different?

The reason I ask is I'm having issues where MyHD ends a recording while I'm using another program to watch something else. Powerstrip is apparently noting the termination of MyHD and changing the screen resolution.
post #16 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The recording process is the same. This is just a different avenue to schedule it to do the recording.
post #17 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 AM

Any plans to make similar app for the Fusion software? It desperately needs good epg guide...
post #18 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Plans? Yes (note the CW_EPG developer list and compare it with certain other programs) but don't hold your breath just yet.
post #19 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 01:30 PM

Good job on the update, this certainly makes the program guide more useful.

I did find a couple bugs in the program

#1 I watch channels in QAM cable (ant 2) and over the air digital (ant1). When I switch inputs from antenna 1 to 2 or visa versa the picture and sound go away, it still shows I am getting a good signal, but thing that tells you the resolution will read 0x0i(auto), instead of 1280x720p or 1920x1080i. If I switch to file, then back to ant 1 or 2, it will correct itself but when I switch between ant 1 and 2 the picture / sound ago away. I went back to the old version and this problem went away, so I know this problem is related to the new program version.

#2 My windows is setup up for 120 dpi resolution for the fonts, when I opened up the CW_EPG.exe I was unable to get some of the buttons because they didn't fit inside the window. (For example I couldn't see the "Post EPG" button. Further the window had no scroll bar so I couldn't get to them. I head to set my font resolution back to the windows default of 96 dpi to correct the problem.

So far those are the only errors I have encountered, I will let you know if I find more
post #20 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
#1 I watch channels in QAM cable (ant 2) and over the air digital (ant1). When I switch inputs from antenna 1 to 2 or visa versa the picture and sound go away, it still shows I am getting a good signal, but thing that tells you the resolution will read 0x0i(auto), instead of 1280x720p or 1920x1080i. If I switch to file, then back to ant 1 or 2, it will correct itself but when I switch between ant 1 and 2 the picture / sound ago away. I went back to the old version and this problem went away, so I know this problem is related to the new program version.

I also run QAM on Inp2 and OTA on Inp1. I can not reproduce the problem you are describing. Any guesses Terry?

Quote:
#2 My windows is setup up for 120 dpi resolution for the fonts, when I opened up the CW_EPG.exe I was unable to get some of the buttons because they didn't fit inside the window. (For example I couldn't see the "Post EPG" button. Further the window had no scroll bar so I couldn't get to them. I head to set my font resolution back to the windows default of 96 dpi to correct the problem.

You people and your dang big fonts! I accounted for the extra large font size in the desktop settings, but not the 120 DPI. Gotta wait for the next post.
post #21 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

I also run QAM on Inp2 and OTA on Inp1. I can not reproduce the problem you are describing. Any guesses Terry?

Same here...I can switch from Ant1 to Ant2 and back using either the remote or the keyboard and I see no anomalies. Lexington, you'll have to provide more details of your recipe for this observation.
post #22 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Same here...I can switch from Ant1 to Ant2 and back using either the remote or the keyboard and I see no anomalies. Lexington, you'll have to provide more details of your recipe for this observation.

I did some experimenting to figure this out. I reinstalled MyHD. This didn't fix the problem, when using the new version of MyHD. Again the old version (1.66u unmodified) didn't have this problem.

But I figured something out from tinkering. I am using full time shift and that seems to be related to the problem, because when I took this off, the problem went away when switching inputs. Timeshift on demand didn't have this problem, until I started to recording.

Let me know if you see this problem using full timeshift.

Thanks!
post #23 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinlexky2 View Post

Let me know if you see this problem using full timeshift.

Yes. I CAN reproduce it with timeshift on demand enabled.

I tried the original MyHD and it functioned properly. Thanks for the find.
post #24 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Me too. It seems that TimeShift is hosed in the modified MyHD.exe. Thanks!
post #25 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Terry,

I this "replacement" MyHD.exe file being built by "The Team" or is it a special build that you get from MIT?

post #26 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Wohoo, sounds awesome. Great work guys!

Russ
post #27 of 3897 Old 03-25-2006, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Cris, the MyHD.exe supplied in the beta package is a "test version" from MIT, used with their permission.
post #28 of 3897 Old 03-26-2006, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
AllenDB, HdtvinCR, Mntneer, Sengsational, Sterno3, and TPeterson

Congrats to you guys and thank you from the bottom of my heart! I followed your directions, got everything up and running in a few minutes, and saw my first recording kick in, you guys did a great job! I second jimwhite's sentiment, I wish Cliff was around to see this happen, he would have been like a kid in a candy store. I can't thank you guys enough, but I'm trying.
post #29 of 3897 Old 03-26-2006, 06:05 AM

I hate being the only (or at least first) one to report a problem but ....

I have been running MyHDAuto for a few weeks now (cue Max Smart) and loving it. Since MyHDAuto has been working so well I felt a little trepidation in messing with a working system, but decided that having a populated EPG was worth it. So I first downloaded CW_EPG to a computer without the MyHD card and ran the program to see how things looked.

CW_EPG started up fine and looked virtually identical to MyHDAuto so I decided to give it a shot on my HTPC. I decided the easiest way to implement CW_EPG would be to place it in the folder with MyHDAuto. I made the appropriate name change for MyHD.exe and copied the new version of MyHD.exe to the MyHD folder. Now I was ready to rock!

I started CW_EPG and immediately got this error message:

Quote:

Access violation at address 004F77ED in module 'CW_EPG.exe'. Read of address 000002F4.

When I click OK in the error dialog box, everything runs fine. The program correctly reads my record schedule, correctly sets up records, and correctly populates the EPG which I can then view when I run the new version of MyHD.exe.

I figured I could live with one extra mouse click since everything worked after dismissing the error dialog box. So then I tried modifying my batchfile to use CW_EPG in the auto mode and found that the error dialog box must still be dismissed before it will continue in auto mode.

I tried unzipping CW_EPG into an empty folder and had the same problem there. My computer is running WinXP SP2 on an Athlon processor.

So, until I/we can get this sorted out, I am back to using MyHDAuto which appears to happily coexist with CW_EPG.

Is it possible that

Are not I sensing make?
post #30 of 3897 Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 AM

As I was trying to figure out what was causing the problem referred to in the preceding post, I noted a couple of things that I thought I would make as suggestions:

1. An option to clear the program schedule before scheduling the new programs. CW_EPG was reporting a conflict so a show was not scheduled. Looking at the schedule, I couldn't find a conflict. Thus I started thinking that CW_EPG wasn't working properly. Upon further investigation, the conflict was with the show that "was not scheduled." Since I never schedule records from the MyHD application (haven't had a good reason to do so up until the advent of CW_EPG) I would choose to erase all scheduled programs and then repopulate the scheduled records. Others who may set up records using the new EPG listings would choose to not erase. The only reason for this to potentially be an issue would be for a change in schedule on the day of airing, but I would like to be covered in such a case.

2. Zap2It allows you to have multiple lineups. In my case I have one for DISH Satellite Programming and one for the antenna. The program that was used in conjunction with MyHDAuto allowed you to choose which lineup to download (although based on time, I believe it downloaded both lineups but only saved one). CW_EPG uses all lineups by default. This caused VERY slow operation until I figured out that I had an extra couple hundred channels that CW_EPG was trying to manage. It would be helpful if CW_EPG allowed us to choose which lineup to use.

Despite my problem and suggestions, I view this as a VERY positive step for MyHD. With the suggested eventual inclusion of Allen's Playlist Manager, this will only get better! I also appreciated the inclusion of the post by Kei about Cliff. I had missed the post about Cliff's demise.

Sarc

Are not I sensing make?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page