Cliff Watson PVR app for HD Homerun, MyHD, and FusionHDTV - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #4291 of 4319 Old 09-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
It happens. Not a problem. But make sure that there's only one running in Task Manager's list.

I'm still not at all sure of what's going on. I've seen Windows Update wipe out CW_EPG data from time to time under circumstances that I don't yet have pinned down. The first symptom of that in my cases though is that the Schedules Direct credentials disappear. I've gotten around that by making a copy of the CW_EPG Registry branch* to re-merge it whenever I'm asked to re-log in to S.D. The recovery involves several steps after the re-merge: (1) Run CW_EPG. (2) Open the Options window and then click on Save Settings. (3) Click on Download Data. That should restore all your settings and program data. We're working on a better fix for this problem in the upcoming release (which will also fix the delayed startup in 1607).

One thing to try also that may have an effect is to go to Task Scheduler and delete all the "CWEPG..." tasks there. Then run CW_EPG and click on the Save Settings button on the Automatic Settings tab.

*This is currently at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wo w6432Node\CW_EPG on 64-bit Windows, but we'll be moving it out of the VirtualStore branch in the next release. That (I hope) makes this problem vanish.
One thing to try also that may have an effect is to go to Task Scheduler and delete all the "CWEPG..." tasks there. Then run CW_EPG and click on the Save Settings button on the Automatic Settings tab.

That's odd....I don't have a single task relating to CW_epg that I can find...
OK.... opened Automatic Settings and clicked 'Save'... now I've got a task "Performs daily update for CW_EPG scheduling"

Should I have a task for each timed recording to be made, or are shows picked-up elsewhere?

Chris C

Last edited by ccrider2; 09-17-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4319 Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
I don't have a single task relating to CW_epg that I can find...
OK.... opened Automatic Settings and clicked 'Save'... now I've got a task "Performs daily update for CW_EPG scheduling"

Should I have a task for each timed recording to be made, or are shows picked-up elsewhere?
So now we know why your Auto runs weren't happening. 😀

The scheduled recordings are kicked off via Waketimers (which are visible using powercfg.exe).
post #4293 of 4319 Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
So now we know why your Auto runs weren't happening. 😀

Gremlins....

Thanks TP!

Chris C

post #4294 of 4319 Old 09-20-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Early autumnal equinox 2016 Change?

At 9/19/2016 11:35 PM a folder was created for "Jimmy Kimmel Live", the very first time capture for that program.

No folder was created for "the late show with Stephen Colbert" at 23:30. (Padding)

Other folders for later captures also were not created.

I have closed CW_EPG after setting the folder title to none. (4.3.0.8 Special ".ts" - "tp" version)

After restarting CW_EPG I set the folder option back to title.

Two test cases have created the folders for the captures. (KCSMDT2)

What will happen when PDT goes to PST?

SHF

BTW, I have started keeping Windows Technical Support on line asking for a DVD for Windows 98 SE, this time I got a supervisor and wasted his time.
post #4295 of 4319 Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nani, whether or not a folder is created and what sort of file name a capture gets is determined at the time that the capture is set up. Any changes to the folder/name settings afterward are not transmitted to existing capture reservations. (This is clearly stated in the pop-up notice when you make such changes) If you change your mind about folders, etc., you must delete the reservation and re-enter it.

I anticipate no PST/PDT problems this year, just as last year and the year before that.
post #4296 of 4319 Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nani, whether or not a folder is created and what sort of file name a capture gets is determined at the time that the capture is set up. Any changes to the folder/name settings afterward are not transmitted to existing capture reservations. (This is clearly stated in the pop-up notice when you make such changes) If you change your mind about folders, etc., you must delete the reservation and re-enter it.

I anticipate no PST/PDT problems this year, just as last year and the year before that.
Well I have never changed the folder option except on new installs.

Just to be safe I deleted all the scheduled captures and recreated them. (Lost 14:00 - Quincy, M.E.: Snake Eyes Part Two )

SHF
post #4297 of 4319 Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
ebo, there was a change in the 1607 Win10 release that caused the delay in "searching for tuners". I'll PM you a link to a beta test version that eliminates that problem...and the others too, I hope, but I'm not sure about those.

BTW, thanks for the post letting me know that we're not just wasting our time in making CW_EPG Win10 compatible.
I have also been using CW_EPG for years and have the same problem with Windows 10. Is there a release or fix available for the CW_EPG sometimes fails to find the tuners?
post #4298 of 4319 Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxr2s View Post
I have also been using CW_EPG for years and have the same problem with Windows 10. Is there a release or fix available for the CW_EPG sometimes fails to find the tuners?
Check your PM.
post #4299 of 4319 Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Check your PM.
I applied the update and CW_EPG now finds the tuners quickly. I'll monitor and provide an update in a few days. Also, the access violation I was seeing periodically at the close of CW_EPG also appears to be fixed. Thank You
post #4300 of 4319 Old 10-25-2016, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

You're welcome. Please do let us know of any problems you encounter with the beta.
post #4301 of 4319 Old 10-28-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

KMTP Listings finally corrected

Hi those of you in the San Francisco Bay Area,

I noted a new station in the FreeGuide listings over a month ago.

"KMTP VC 33", Clearly an error and I had a ticket opened with Schedules Direct / Gracenote, Tribune Media Services / Zap2IT.

On Mon Sep 05 14:06:27 2016, xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> I do not know when the unbelievable inept people at KMTP caused a bad
> entry "33-1 KMTPDT" to be made as their VC is 32. It clearly showed
> up as bogus as soon as I saw it.

It was removed and 32-1 added in it's place.

But there was an duplicate entry for 32 remaining, which has finally been removed. I checked using Zap2IT listings when I was told the last problem had been fixed.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti....do?aid=zap2it

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 10-28-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: 32 NOT 33 Sorry
post #4302 of 4319 Old 11-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. Please do let us know of any problems you encounter with the beta.
Everything running fine with the Beta release. Thanks again.
TPeterson, ccrider2 and SFischer1 like this.
post #4303 of 4319 Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Cool Holiday release of new version

See the first post in this thread for news of the latest release. It's a bit more reliable and it supports setting the capture file's extension to ".ts" for HDHR tuners. It also notes in the log and the email report when the Schedules Direct data download was executed.

As always, report problems to this thread, please.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #4304 of 4319 Old 12-08-2016, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TPeterson,
I have had problem with the software seeing my tuners - although they work fine under the HD program.
Because of that, I have not been able to use the CW-EPG software to record.

I have rebuilt and even lately changed computer with the same symptoms.

I have not upgraded to win10, as I wish to stay on Win7 due to some important software that will not work on win10.

Can you send me the link for the Beta release? to see if it will also fix that issue on win7/HDHomerun combinaison?

Thanks

Pierre (pduchaine@gmail.c0m)
post #4305 of 4319 Old 12-08-2016, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Pierre, please try the 4.3.1 release currently linked in the initial post of this thread. It was the beta that fixed others' problems.

Also make sure that you have the HDHR tuners' leadtime set long enough. The default is 90 seconds but you may need to increase that if you have your tuners powered down when not in use. And you need to wait that amount of time after waking your HTPC for a manual CW_EPG run too.
post #4306 of 4319 Old 12-08-2016, 08:06 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I always used the latest version available.

However, I did not know about leadtime setting- how do I do this? I do not remember seeing anything on this in any documentation. How do I do this?

Thanks
post #4307 of 4319 Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Pierre, it's described on p.15 of the ReadMe.pdf. It's in a right-click menu in the Options window.
post #4308 of 4319 Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Hi TPerson,
I tried you suggestion, but the tuners were not showing at all, so unable to right click any of them.
However, I found a new version of HDHomerun software that I followed by the latest Java, then I was in business. I could see the tuners, and was able to increase the timing to 360sec.

I had another issue about scheduling recordings. I downloaded the latest guides, but my selection did not result in a scheduled event (in the window below). I slept on it and then remember that I had this issue years ago. Whereas, my new computer was set to DDMMYYY format that we use in Canada, while the guide comes in MMDD format. So after changing my computer's date format to MMDD, the schedule events stated to show up.
Perhaps this could be an feature/improvement at a future version of CW-EPG.

So all looks good so far. Will confirm tonight.

PS is there a way to put the computer to hibernate or sleep and wakeup on time for a recording? or do I have to leave it running for all events to be recorded? (win 7-home machine)
In the past, I always kept it on, 24-hr/day but I'd like to have it sleep between recordings.

thanks
post #4309 of 4319 Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Pierre, thanks for the additional information. We'll look into the date-format issue. What versions of HDHR software and Java were you running? I didn't think that updates of either were needed by CW_EPG.

I am horrified to hear that you've been running your HTPC 24/7.

Go to Windows Power Options settings and make sure that "Allow wake timers" is not disabled. Then change the sleep (or hibernate, your choice) setting from "never" to 5 or 10 minutes. Then your PC will wake up for scheduled recordings and the daily schedule download and go back to sleep afterward.

Glad to hear that you're back in business!
post #4310 of 4319 Old 12-15-2016, 03:08 PM

Hi TPaterson,
I WAS back on business. I did setup the wakeup to record while on sleep and did work for a few day, but when I reopened the program, it stopped "seeing" the tuners.
I eventually reinstalled from scratch, also HDHomerun and Java (all latest versions)- but I have not been able to have CW_EPG to re-see my tuners.\
They do work under the HDHomerun View program (both when I open 2 copies of the software).

I tried again and again, but absolutely no luck seeing the tuners.

Now, I recall that, this was the same symptoms last year and I gave up recording with CW_EPG. I though I had issue with the computer or windows. I have changed computer since (this is the only program I have on this PC) and now I have the same recurring issue.

Any idea why?

Thanks

post #4311 of 4319 Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've recently started to have a problem with CW_EPG failing to record scheduled programs. As a test, I scheduled a recording of a show at 18:00 with 1 minute pad and put the PC in S3 sleep. The PC awoke at 17:57:30 but didn't start recording at 17:59:00 as it should. It went back to sleep at 17:59:55. I woke it about 18:02, waited a couple of minutes to see if it would start recording but it didn't. I opened CW_EPG and it immediately started recording.

I scheduled another recording for 19:00 and left the PC running. This time it started recording when it should.

I'm running the CW_EPG official release version 4.3.1.0 (CWHelper 4.3.0.333) and Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.713), i.e. not the Anniversary Update.

I've been battling another problem with constant wakeups. It's unrelated AFAIK, but I've disabled every wake timer I can find except CW_EPG's. The PC will wake up shortly after I put it to sleep, run for 2 minutes 29 seconds, sleep for 62 seconds, then start the cycle over again. I've managed to stop it a few times, not sure how, but eventually it comes back. Powercfg -lastwake doesn't say anything useful. Event Viewer shows the wakeups but says it doesn't know what caused them. It's possible that some of the things I've tried affected CW_EPG.
post #4312 of 4319 Old 12-16-2016, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Everett, you're experiencing what I call Win10's "napping" mode. It gets stuck in a loop of 2-minute "unattended" wakeup followed by ~60-seconds of sleep and the only way out of it that I know of is to reboot. (The wake period is 2 minutes unless you change the default unattended wakeup Registry setting) We've seen that phenomenon since before the commercial release and I'm pretty confident that CW_EPG is not responsible for creating it (as of CWHelper 4.3.0.333). I believe that it's triggered when an app does not clear a waketimer and that the Windows updates sometimes caused it. Win10 seems to be less forgiving of uncleared timers than were previous versions. I haven't seen this bug at all using Win10 1607 and our current release. Perhaps there's a napping bug lurking in the 1511 version? You may find that it goes away after a reboot until the next month's updates arrive.

Edit: Make sure that you haven't disabled waketimers in Power Options and that powercfg shows a waketimer set for each upcoming capture. If these don't occur we'll have to look at your logs to see what's up.

Another edit: After reviewing ebo's log files we discovered that his PC was reporting its OS to CWHelper as "Windows NT" rather than "Windows 10" and that was leading to both the napping bug and failure to wake for captures. Although we're not sure what caused the erroneous OS report (old Java engine?), we have devised a fix that will be in the next release.

Last edited by TPeterson; 12-21-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #4313 of 4319 Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Terry, thanks for the explanation. My searches didn't turn up any reference to that short a sleep cycle, although I found plenty of complaints of wakeups at odd hours such as every night.

I played with disabling waketimers in all power profiles without success, and of course CW_EPG wouldn't work that way. They're all enabled now. In Event Viewer I see many Cortana-related errors. I've disabled Cortana as much as I can through normal channels and I'm looking into shutting it down completely. Not an easy thing to do. It's a lot like malware that keeps reinstalling itself.

Maybe I should give the Anniversary Update another try. They might have fixed whatever was keeping my firewall from working but I doubt it.
post #4314 of 4319 Old 12-17-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post
Any idea why?
Pierre, check your AVS Personal Messages for help.

Last edited by TPeterson; 12-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
post #4315 of 4319 Old 12-18-2016, 04:08 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

For my latest test of what CW_EPG is or isn't doing, I put the HTPC to sleep shortly before the scheduled checkin (16:50). The PC woke up at 16:48:00 and went back to sleep at 16:52:17. I woke it again and found that CW_EPG had downloaded the schedule updates but had not scheduled any recordings, even though there were two that should have been scheduled. It also emailed me, as it is set to do. Here's the log for today:

Code:
CW_EPG AUTOMATIC MODE STARTED AT : 12/18 16:50:08
       Old Database Schedule Entries Deleted.........
       Schedule Entries Deleted.........
CW_EPG capture output generated : 12/18 16:50:19
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   AUTOMATIC MODE   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Data download for 2016-12-18T21:52:00Z to 2016-12-21T04:59:00Z completed at 16:50:10
Data download for 2016-12-21T05:00:00Z to 2016-12-29T04:59:00Z completed at 16:50:16
It also set waketimers for tomorrow:

Code:
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe (Schedule) expires at 16:48:00 on 12/19/2016.
  Reason: Task Scheduler will execute '\CWEPG_Autorun_Timer' task.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Apps(x86)\CW_EPG\CwHelper.exe expires at 16:48:30 on 12/19/2016.
I'll have to check to be sure but I think that if the HTPC were already on (i.e. if I were already using it) that CW_EPG would have scheduled the recordings. I think the same is true when it's time to make a recording. If the computer is already awake, it will record. If it's asleep, it will wake up on time but won't record. All this has started within the past few days. I installed the CW_EPG official release over the beta I had been running and I've also made numerous tweaks to Win 10 trying to stop the constant wakeups, so it could be any of those.

I verified that CW_EPG is set to automatically download updates and schedule recordings. So, what other conditions could allow it to do one but not both?

Edit: I reset the checkin time to 18:20 and kept the PC on. This time CW_EPG scheduled tonight's recordings and set waketimers for them.

Last edited by ebo; 12-18-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: More info
post #4316 of 4319 Old 12-18-2016, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

After I've looked at your log files, I may have another beta test for you.

EDIT: The log files manifested a new failure mode of mysterious origin. We've crafted a new beta-test code to cure it and we're awaiting ebo's confirmation of the fix.

EDIT2: The fix was confirmed and will be implemented in the next release. It won't affect 99.999% of users but is vital for the rest.

Last edited by TPeterson; 01-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #4317 of 4319 Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke514 View Post
I WAS back on business. I did setup the wakeup to record while on sleep and did work for a few day, but when I reopened the program, it stopped "seeing" the tuners.
When the power supply of the HDHR gets weak or a ripple, they do weird things. They don't just stop working, they get wonky. Just drop seven bucks on a new power supply.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.X230984590367.TRS5&_nkw=230984590367&_sacat =0

Edit: No matter what I do, this link keeps on going to an alternate seller. I bought from "silicon_electronic". Search for "230984590367"

Last edited by sengsational; 01-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
post #4318 of 4319 Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Update on theduke514's problem

It turned out that Pierre's difficulties stemmed from detritus somehow left in his Windows 10 "upgrade" installation. A clean Win10 installation resolved everything.
post #4319 of 4319 Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM

Red face Windows 10 vs CW_EPG

Yes indeed Terry,

after a total clean installation, all worked as advertised.
Even if I had just done a clean installation from Win7 first, then upgraded to win10, there was still some hangups. But by doing the "reset" function of Win10 to clean up all and start anew, all started to work as advertised, thereafter.

Thank you so much to you and your team - you spent dozens of hours over the holiday to try to make it work, but a then, at the end only a clean installation fixed all the issues. Thank you for suggesting this - although I was sceptic initially, you were right. Now all is great! thank you again.

theduke514
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers