Cliff Watson PVR app for HD Homerun, MyHD, and FusionHDTV - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #4321 of 4324 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

This might not be the "perfect" place to start for this question, but given we're all on Windows and have transport stream files laid down by (typically) HDHR devices (or maybe MyHD), I thought I'd start here.

Here's the problem I'm having: A station (my local PBS, to be more specific), often sends out what I consider to be a defective transport stream, and I'd like to know it's defective before I attempt to watch it.

You might think that if it's OTA (over the air), how do I know it's a defective transport stream and not just bad reception. Well, if I'm correct in my thinking, the stats gathered by the HDHR for the recording would be "bad" for bad reception. But that's not the case. Checking http://127.0.0.1:8181/recent, I can see "tste", "tsmiss" are zero, and "tunss" is >95 and "tunsnq" is 100. On other channels, when the recording is pixelated or has dropouts, those numbers are "bad".

The symptom I have is "good" reception stats, but the recording doesn't play well in VLC. For example, we got a recording, watched 35 minutes of it...perfect, then there was a 5 minute segment that caused VLC to hang. After that it played fine again.

Since these recordings come on PBS, they're repeated at different times. What happens is that I get a recording, then CW_EPG skips the repeats, as designed. So the repeats come and go, and I'm sitting on a defective capture file, but don't know it! So one solution would be to configure CW_EPG to record all instances of the problem shows. But what I was wondering was, is there a batch file program/process that can assess the quality of a capture file? If so, I could be alerted right away and make sure I don't miss when the show gets replayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4324 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Dale, does TSReader Lite indicate problems with these defective recordings? That doesn't fit your request for a batch file, but if TSReader doesn't see issues, I'm not sure that any other filter would find them either.
post #4323 of 4324 Old Today, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terry, Thanks for the reply. I had run it through my crusty copy of TSReaderLite (circa 2003!), and it added an asterisk and said that meant the PID had continuity errors. The "Continuity errors:" field jumped from 0 to 23189 (and the associated asterisk showed up) in the middle of chugging through the file, so that did align with my watching experience.

The same TV station aired that same program again and I ran THAT one through TSReaderLite... no asterisk, zero continuity errors! I haven't watched it yet to see if it plays well, but I bet it will be fine.

Might need to write me a transport stream parser. Whoa! That's above my pay grade!

Last edited by sengsational; Today at 07:38 PM.

post #4324 of 4324 Old Today, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hmm...I had thought that the tsmiss HDHR stat was equivalent to continuity errors in TSReader...but I guess that's not right. But in any case I'm sure that the needed utility has been written already.

See, e.g., here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers