Chaintech AV-710 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using the Chaintech AV-710, flashed to the Prodigy 7.1 firmware, for a while now so that I could achieve bit-perfect playback from my system. However, I recently decided to reinstall windows on this system. After the installation, I noticed that Windows did not recognize the sound card (flashed as a Prodigy 7.1). I installed the most recent prodigy drivers I had previously used and everything seemd fine except the digital spdif connection was not recognized. Next, I tried the latest Via drivers (5.00b) but there was no sound at all from the card.

If anyone has tried this before, should I first be flashing the card back to the Chaintech firmware until it is recognized by Windows and then try the Prodigy firmware?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no need to flash the prodigy firmware onto this card. Use the Via 3.10a drivers and you will get bit perfect output (test with DTS-CD) and flawless dd/dts passthru.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Jesse, I had read that before but I flashed to the Prodigy because I read that their drivers were superior. Maybe I'll just switch back to the Chaintech firmware and try the via drivers.

Can the latest via drivers (5.00b) also be used? Is there a thread that tracks the driver versions that can handle bit perfect playback on this card?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

okay. I flashed the card back to the Chaintech firmware and reinstalled windows mce. However, after installing powerdvd I do not have an option for SPDIF in the audio settings. Also, there is no access to the Windows volume 'Advanced Controls' and the 'Enable SPDIF' option. I am getting sound out over my spdif cable into my receiver but it is being reported as 2-channel only.

Is it possible that the SPDIF output is partially damaged or unable to pass a 5.1 signal anymore?

Thanks again
post #6 of 9 Old 03-28-2006, 01:25 AM

It could be PowerDVD. If you read through the Envy24 thread you'll notice a few folks finding that they lost the ability to achieve bit perfect even with winamp just by having PowerDVD installed.

Its doesn't seem to be a problem for everyone but I literally had to uninstall PowerDVD to get bit perfect to work again.

Also I agree with Jesse, the 3.10 drivers work well. A thread to read is

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=364771

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher
okay. I flashed the card back to the Chaintech firmware and reinstalled windows mce. However, after installing powerdvd I do not have an option for SPDIF in the audio settings. Also, there is no access to the Windows volume 'Advanced Controls' and the 'Enable SPDIF' option. I am getting sound out over my spdif cable into my receiver but it is being reported as 2-channel only.

Is it possible that the SPDIF output is partially damaged or unable to pass a 5.1 signal anymore?

Thanks again

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .
post #7 of 9 Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Tim99, it wasn't powerdvd as the windows volume "advanced controls' were blanked out before I installed this application. This was a fresh install of mce with the 3.10a drivers.

Thanks for the link, I've previously read through about 60% of that short thread!

I think the spdif port or something on the card is damaged and it is no longer properly 'reporting" it's digital spdif capabiities to the OS.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

ok, it looks like the card is fine. I swapped in a card fom my friend's system that had no problems and I still don't see any SPDIF options. Maybe this is due to the steps I used to install my system?

This is what I did...

1) Installed Windows XP MCE 2005 WITHOUT a sound card in the system

2) Installed all windows updates

3) Installed audio card and then installed corresponding drivers - no spdif option!

I should add that over a year ago when I initially installed MCE, I had a creative sound blaster in the computer and after the install I enabled spdif out to my receiver. A couple of months later I picked up the Chaintech and used it without and spdif issues. So, maybe there is an issue with installing MCE without an audio card?

Has anyone heard of this or have any other ideas?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2006, 05:01 PM

I believe that I'm seeing the same problem. I had been running MythTV on Linux with the AV710 and I couldn't get anything but 2 channel out the SPDIF. I eventually gave up and installed MCE. I'm pretty sure that I didn't have the sound card installed during the XP install. After the install I installed all the updates, installed the drivers for my capture, video and sound card and installed MCE with rollup 2. I'm currently getting no sound whatsoever over SPDIF. I've got the latest envy24 drivers installed. From the audio deck I have the 5.1 configuration selected with SPDIF enabled. I don't get any sound from inside MCE, DVD's, winamp or anything. There's red light coming out of the toslink cable, but no sound. It's driving me insane !!!!!!!

--Update--
I got my setup to work finally. My issue was a hardware problem. There was something wrong with my optical cable. I swapped it out and things started working fine.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page