AVIVO + Cyberlink/ATI Decoder = Nasty image - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No feedback/No interest? Did the registry tweak I posted above fix your image quality?

My Vista install now has excellent image quality - no more ghosts. I for one am extremely pleased to have this fixed (as are my wife and children).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Slider View Post

No feedback/No interest? Did the registry tweak I posted above fix your image quality?

My Vista install now has excellent image quality - no more ghosts. I for one am extremely pleased to have this fixed (as are my wife and children).

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Thanks very much for discovering this - I'm an XP user, so haven't had the ghosting problem for some time, but the edge enhancement fix is much appreciated. There is still a little edge ringing, but I think this is probably the result of scaling rather than intentional image manipulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 150 Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Slider View Post

4. Add the string value "TRDenoise" with the value "0" to fix the ghosting issue and greatly improve the video quality (if you're having the ghost/smearing issue). Note with XP you had to create a DWord with TRDenoise (plus its in in a different registry location) and with Vista you must use a string value to make this work.

5. Add the string value "DXVA_DetailEnhance" with the value "0" to turn off the excessive edge enhancement (if this bothers you).

I can confirm that these do resolve the respective problems. I replaced a GeForce 7300LE with a Radeon X1950 Pro and I still don't think it looks as good. It is slightly better than the X800XL (in terms of deinterlacing errors) but overall it looks very similar and somehow the 7300LE looked better (at least for DVB-t broadcasts).

It looks like there's another setting called "DXVA_ColorEnhance" (based on a strings search on the driver file) but I can't see what effect changing it has on the video quality.
post #124 of 150 Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Hypocrites:
http://www.dailytech.com/AMD%20Alleg...rticle8608.htm

Quote:

AMD alleges NVIDIA optimizes its drivers with an aggressive noise reduction algorithm that causes visible ghosting. AMD also claims its noise reduction algorithm reduces noise but does not leave any visible ghosting, preserving picture detail.

post #125 of 150 Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Day View Post

Hypocrites:
http://www.dailytech.com/AMD%20Alleg...rticle8608.htm

How ironic...

For well over a year (has it been two years yet?), ATI has had an excessive denoise issue with their drivers that creates massive amounts of ghosting. The ghosting is so bad that my 5 year old daughter complained about "the ghosts" and my wife wanted me to get rid of the new X1950Pro and go back to the Nvidia 6800 to get rid of the ghosting issue.

Without properly fixing the issue yet, ATI is now accusing Nvidia of having this exact issue. To make this even more unreasonable, Nvidia's drivers provide complete user tune-ability of denoise, while ATI forces the customer to resort to unsupported registry hacks to get the denoise under control.

Hopefully the publicity generated by this will get ATI to implement either reduced (reasonable levels) of denoise or control of denoise in the driver.

We should all post comments at daily tech. ATI will surely be reading and maybe, just maybe this will get ATI to give us control...
post #126 of 150 Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 AM

Received my HD2600XT Ultimate last week and having the same problems. However the registry hacks posted here fix the problem, but IMHO a decent noise reduction would be desirable at least for DVB content. I also opend a support ticket about that issue providing also a link to this thread.

I don't think this will ever be fixed. It has been around for so a long time and nothing happened. My next card will be NVidia as noise reduction can be applied continous or disabled at all via control panel there.

grubi.
post #127 of 150 Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Now thats a good one.

I buy an ATI 1600 and can't watch it because of the horrendous ghosting.

No fix in site (at the time) so I have to buy an Nvidia card instead and have no problems.

2 years later and no official fix from ATI/AMD and AMD accuse Nvidia of ghosting. Maybe they should have a go at Nvidia for having a green logo as well.
post #128 of 150 Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 AM

I had to dig up this old thread and chalk it up to should have done more research before buying a new vid card.

I recently purchased an x1650 Pro 512 as an "upgrade" to my GeForce 7200 so I could move the 7200 to my Ubuntu box. I use SageTV 6.3 on an XP SP2 box. I have set it to use VMR9 and the ATI built in decoder for Mpg4 and use the pig-tail s-video to component adapter. I'm on an older CRT rear projection HDTV that doesn't have DVI. This yielded the "best" picture I could manage out of it.

5 minutes after installing the "upgrade" ATI card I was hating life.

I couldn't even watch a football game the ghosting was so bad. And anything with a dark scene to it had so many problems you couldn't distinguish the video from the artifacts/ghosts/lack of contrast/etc...

So after much research I found this post. I did the TRDenoise setting and it is now slightly better on the ghosting, but any type of action or dark scenes still look like total crap.

I'm going to try the DXVA_DetailEnhance hack tonight, but I don't have high hopes and may end up going back to the 256mb 7200 card.

Are there any optimum settings in the CCC for a DVR application? Are there some basic steps I may be missing or not understanding in the root setup of the driver?

Thanks.

-------------------------------------
He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know. - Abraham Lincoln
post #129 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM

GndPrx: Did any of the above 'hacks' help at all? I've got the same problem HERE. Screenshots inside... Does EVERYONE who owns ATI cards have this problem? Or only some of us?
post #130 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Video performance is horrid but I've tabled it until I can just switch to a new computer. I'll just go back to NVidia at that point and not look back.

-------------------------------------
He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any one I know. - Abraham Lincoln
post #131 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Separate issues I think. EViS's screenshots were of a DVD, and ATI drivers switch off denoise for progressive material.
post #132 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EViS View Post

Does EVERYONE who owns ATI cards have this problem? Or only some of us?

EViS, I've replied to you in the thread you created about your problems with instructions for how to cure them. The bottom line is that, with a minimal amount of tweaking, they can be fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles View Post

EViS, I've replied to you in the thread you created about your problems with instructions for how to cure them. The bottom line is that, with a minimal amount of tweaking, they can be fixed.

I have just implemented your fix (and replied to you there). The bottom line is, your fix has worked tremendously!! Thank you ever-so-much!
post #134 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

Separate issues I think. EViS's screenshots were of a DVD, and ATI drivers switch off denoise for progressive material.

What is the reason for this?
post #135 of 150 Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EViS View Post

What is the reason for this?

I guess the theory is progressive=film, and you don't want to denoise film (since noise is a video thing).
post #136 of 150 Old 09-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this is a very old thread, but I am having this exact problem with my Radeon X800 Pro using BeyondTV with a HD HomeRun tuner. I tried some of the things listed in this thread, and a list of registry settings another user used to work with their ATI card. Has anyone solved this problem with an X800 Pro?

Cheers,
Scott
post #137 of 150 Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

I know this is a very old thread, but I am having this exact problem with my Radeon X800 Pro using BeyondTV with a HD HomeRun tuner. I tried some of the things listed in this thread, and a list of registry settings another user used to work with their ATI card. Has anyone solved this problem with an X800 Pro?

Cheers,
Scott

It is a bit tricky to find the correct location to place the various registry changes.

Recently Arfster suggested I look at DXVAChecker.exe for assessing DXVA performance, and I discovered that it also enables easy access to the various ATI registry settings for ATI cards.

Download DXVAChecker (http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/d...ecker_1900.zip) and run it as Administrator. Right click on the background and select "Video Acceleration Settings". Scroll down to the setting you want to change and set TRDenoise to 0 and UseBT601CSC to 1.

If you are running XP, reboot; if you are running Vista, restart your video playback application.

There are other ATI registry tweak tools that will probably work, but these were specifically written with the 2X00 and 3X00 series cards in mind.
post #138 of 150 Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharangad View Post

Same here. Oh well. I'm thinking of buying another ATi card, just to see how things are. But I guess 'tis proly best at stage to wait until HDCP's more common and the next gen DX10 cards com out.

Yep , I gave up and installed my old 7800GT and picture is great again in TV & DVD playback. CPU just takes a larger load during BD playback. I kept reading how ATI was better generally in the HTPC enviroment. RMA'd thePalit 3870 and if I do buy something newer most likely 9500/9600/9800GT will be my next card in my HTPC. The 3870 did do a very good job about off loading the blu ray playback load off my CPU. When I tested a 9600GT CPU was around 50% while my 7800GT runs 80-90% CPU. WIth my new Q9300 CPU/MB/RAM upgrade I think I will just try the 7800GT and see if I can get another year out of it for HTPC use.

I know this doesn't help much but figured I would chime in with another person unhappy with the video quality of the ATI and found Nvidia to be easily better out of the box.
post #139 of 150 Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 AM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Contro l\\Video\\{xxxx-xxxx}\\000x\\UMD\\DXVA

Set value of "Denoise_DEF" to "0"

gray field is activated now!

(ATI HD4850, Vista)

Greetings from Germany!
Ben
post #140 of 150 Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFish View Post

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Contro l\\Video\\{xxxx-xxxx}\\000x\\UMD\\DXVA

Set value of "Denoise_DEF" to "0"

gray field is activated now!

(ATI HD4850, Vista)

Greetings from Germany!
Ben

Hi there! What do you mean by "gray field"? Is it that, after this hack, the card does not clip Above White and Below Black signal? (I hope you mean that )

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #141 of 150 Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

All denoise_def does is what the name suggests: controls the CCC default for the denoise on/off tickbox.

If you don't want clipping, the only method is to set ccc/video/basic colour brightness & contrast to 18/86. That retains btb and wtw cos it's applied before the YUV>RGB conversion, which is where expansion comes in (while if you use the dongle or the main desktop color control, it's afterwards and thus you get clipping as btb/wtw are expanded outside 0-255, the Windows limits).
post #142 of 150 Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

All denoise_def does is what the name suggests: controls the CCC default for the denoise on/off tickbox.

If you don't want clipping, the only method is to set ccc/video/basic colour brightness & contrast to 18/86. That retains btb and wtw cos it's applied before the YUV>RGB conversion, which is where expansion comes in (while if you use the dongle or the main desktop color control, it's afterwards and thus you get clipping as btb/wtw are expanded outside 0-255, the Windows limits).

Thanks! I will give it a go...

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #143 of 150 Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM

In CCC the option to set the DENOISE manually was disabled (controlfield set to grey = unavailable), the function itself permanently enabled an the slider was set to a value of "64". No change possible...
All software using AVIVO was denoising the video-output. Especially BluRay in PowerDVD looked awful.

Changing the registry-value of DenoiseDEF to 0 swiched off the denoising and made manual changes possible (field changed from grey to white).
post #144 of 150 Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFish View Post

In CCC the option to set the DENOISE manually was disabled (controlfield set to grey = unavailable), the function itself permanently enabled an the slider was set to a value of "64". No change possible...
All software using AVIVO was denoising the video-output. Especially BluRay in PowerDVD looked awful.

Changing the registry-value of DenoiseDEF to 0 swiched off the denoising and made manual changes possible (field changed from grey to white).

What version you are referring to?
Here (CAT 8.8) denoise can be set via control panel. No need to do anything in the reg.

grubi
post #145 of 150 Old 01-24-2009, 12:25 PM

Quick question, is there a colorspace (0-255) selection in Catalyst, or is the reg entry the only way still?
post #146 of 150 Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

Quick question, is there a colorspace (0-255) selection in Catalyst, or is the reg entry the only way still?

Are you referring to output colorspace?
This has been added since 8.11.
However it seems that it does not work for everyone (including me) as the setting does not stick after reboot.
post #147 of 150 Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubi View Post

Are you referring to output colorspace?
This has been added since 8.11.
However it seems that it does not work for everyone (including me) as the setting does not stick after reboot.

Yeah that is what I am talking about. Can you tell me where in catalyst it is located? I have 8.12. I just looked through it all and couldn't see it. (BTW, I am connecting to my LCD by DVI.)
post #148 of 150 Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

Yeah that is what I am talking about. Can you tell me where in catalyst it is located? I have 8.12. I just looked through it all and couldn't see it. (BTW, I am connecting to my LCD by DVI.)

AFAIK this is only available for HDMI connected devices.
There you can choose between:
RGB Full Range
RGB Limited
Ycbcr 4:2:2
Ycbcr 4:4:4
post #149 of 150 Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubi View Post

AFAIK this is only available for HDMI connected devices...

Well, my video display device (TV) is HDMI, but my card has only DVI outputs. I use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect the two. Is this why I don't have the pixel format/colorspace options? Can one only get them on a card with actual HDMI output connectors?

See my antique radio collection at
post #150 of 150 Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM

I believe I have a serious issue with PowerDVD 8 & Radeon HD4850 when it comes to deinterlacing. First screenshot is taken from PowerDVD:

With these settings:

This one is taken when hardware acceleration is unchecked (other settings not changed):

CCC is set to "Use automatic deinterlacing" and "Pulldown detection".

Also, I get moire:

although I think Radeon should handle it...

Can anybody help?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page