Artec T14A Mini USB 2.0 HDTV tuner - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 321 Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
theereply,

Can you please post how you got the Artec T14A to work with GB-PVR ? GB-PVR site doesn't mention Artec in the supported hardware list. How did you get it to work ?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeply View Post

For those interested I have made GB-PVR work with this unit and its good so far. I have not figured out on all the intricacies but the recording and viewing is fine and I receive 99% of the OTA channels in my area using Rooftop Antenna (still trying to figure out how I can get KCOP-only channel missing).

GB-PVR has integrated EPG with Zap2It and many recording options as well as remote serving aka MVP. I've tried most of the recording functions and that works great with the EPG. It doesn't have the window scaling functions that WatchHDTV has but the EPG is definitely very functional.

So far I have tried the tuner on MCE2005, WatchHDTV, GB-PVR, and Artec' S/W and haven't decided on which is the best. I'm leaning toward GB-PVR but its many settings is complex but the EPG is easy to use and very functional.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 321 Old 12-01-2006, 01:12 AM

Heres what you need to do setup GB-PVR

1) Find the bda.ini file
2) Modify with the following entry

[ARTEC 14A HDTV-USB (ATSC)]
TUNING_TYPE=ATSC
FILTER_TUNER=Digital TV Tuner Filter
FILTER_CAPTURE=Digital TV Capture Filter
PIN_TUNER_IN=Input0
PIN_TUNER_OUT=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_IN=MPEG2 Transport
PIN_CAPTURE_OUT=MPEG2 Transport

Thats it.

3) Start config program
4) On Capture Source Tab Add your new tuner
4) Select BDA Recording Plugin for Recording Source Dropdown.
5) EPG Source (your choice)
6) Read instructions on gppvr web site
There it is
post #183 of 321 Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Thanks theereply. One more quick question. Doesn't this assume you have installed BDA drivers for the card (Artec T14A) ? Where to get it ? Thanks.
post #184 of 321 Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk25 View Post

Thanks theereply. One more quick question. Doesn't this assume you have installed BDA drivers for the card (Artec T14A) ? Where to get it ? Thanks.

These drivers should come with the driver install CDROM or download from the Artec site
post #185 of 321 Old 12-03-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post

ZipZoomFly.com has the Artec T14A for $59.99 with free shipping. Apply $20.00 coupon code "ART12" to cut the total price to $39.99. Coupon ends December 5.

(Although I had bad experiences with two of them when the PayPal $15.00 was in effect some people here have had satisfactory experiences. Such a bargain tempts me again...)

Thanks for the coupon code jebbz! I'm willing to risk 39.00 for being able to record and timeshift from OTA. This would be awesome, because I don't get fox hd or cbs hd on cable. I'm using MCE 2005 with a 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD. I have onboard intel graphics (yuck). But hopefully it will work well. I am able to play smooth HD video that I have recorded from the cable co.'s DVR through the firewire port, so I hope it works well. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks again,
Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #186 of 321 Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Got this card 1 week ago and learned alot from this thread. Thanks!

Slight problem: under windows xp, I use watchhdtv but cant record/timeshift(watchhdtv simply crashes when I enable these features). I live only 11 miles from tower but WatchHDTV reports a signal strength of 0% or 1% though the play is smooth(no 55sec problem or whatever) and BeyondTV can only pickup 3-4 stations by automatically scan.

Under MCE2005, the T14A rocks. It gets full signal on all channels and closed caption works fine as well.
post #187 of 321 Old 12-03-2006, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear lucida! I'm planning on only using it for XP MCE 2005, so it sounds like it should work great for me. I'm picking up the channels I want great through my TV's atsc tuner with a set of amplified rabbit ears with a UHF ring. Hopefully using the same antenna, I'll get the same channels, and be able to record and timeshift them.

Thanks,
Mark

post #188 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 04:27 AM

First post .....So I tried some different antenna's including the "post card" with hit and miss results 1 was even a powered antenna. I went to Walmart to see what they had, I ended up with the cheapest one there by RCA 8 dollars Model ANT111 I'm now getting all HD and SD in my area. I'm 15 to 19 miles from the towers on the ground floor of a CBS home here in Fla. I'm using Version 1.0.3 and 1. 30 1.0.3 gives program list 1.30 has PVR the skip tab's raise or lower the channels in you channel list. When I click the record bullet it reads record but I can find where the show has been recorded. I'm really not looking for PVR function. As far as tuner it get's what I need TV where I have a remote viewing location with no cable.....
post #189 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 05:15 PM

Well guys... I just ordered my At14 on Saturday at the $39.99 price.
The question that everyone who has been having the 55 second stall in the picture has been answered... My son the Ph.D. in CS gave me the answer last night. It is a Microsoft MC problem. With the incoming stream MPEG, MS does not like to use any " standards ", so they decode and re-encode the incoming MPEG to the Microsoft standard for display... 8-(!!! THE PC chokes on this decode-encode every 55 seconds!! A "Microsoft Feature" that you get to pay extra for!!

Oh well. C U Later

JL
post #190 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Any way to compensate for this 55 secons "skip"? Others report no problems with Watch HDTV, etc. but I can't get it to work right. It just freezes on me and won't respond when I try to scan for channels. The little Artec gizmo is neat, but with plain vanilla Win XP (not MCE), the 55 second skip drives me up the wall. I am considering the Hauppauge version of this USB tuner, but if it has the same skip problem, why bother.
post #191 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrylo View Post

The question that everyone who has been having the 55 second stall in the picture has been answered... My son the Ph.D. in CS gave me the answer last night. It is a Microsoft MC problem. With the incoming stream MPEG, MS does not like to use any " standards ", so they decode and re-encode the incoming MPEG to the Microsoft standard for display... 8-(!!! THE PC chokes on this decode-encode every 55 seconds!! A "Microsoft Feature" that you get to pay extra for!!

Sorry, but that explanation is inappropriately slanderous against MS....(and trust me, I'm like the last guy in the world to stick up for MS)

What your son was likely thinking of or reffering too is the DVR-MS file container. The MPEG2 transport stream is wrapped/placed within the container format -- no decoding and re-encoding is performed.

DVR-MS would be used by MCE, as well as WatchHDTV. Now those two apps would likely account for a great number of users who are experiencing the problem. But, I don't think the Artec included windows viewing app uses the DVR-MS. Nor do I believe that Rod Hewitt, with his TSBrowser app would be either. Or other PVR apps that support the T14A.

Nonetheless, your son's thoughts towards some problem with DVR-MS is interesting. It would be interesting to see, from those who are reporting problems, what app they are seeing the trouble with.
post #192 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

I am considering the Hauppauge version of this USB tuner, but if it has the same skip problem, why bother.

The Hauppauge and the Artec devices, while somewhat similar, are different
post #193 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 PM

I'm using the Artec usb model and i'm wondering if i can connect TimeWarner Cable TV to the USB end instead of using the supplied Antenna.
When i use the supplied software TV ATSC and do a channel scan after connecting the CableTV digital coax to the USB end no channels are found.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

thanks.
post #194 of 321 Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbchucks View Post

I'm using the Artec usb model and i'm wondering if i can connect TimeWarner Cable TV to the USB end instead of using the supplied Antenna.
When i use the supplied software TV ATSC and do a channel scan after connecting the CableTV digital coax to the USB end no channels are found.

The Windows drivers for it only support OTA reception
post #195 of 321 Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Okay Artec T14A dudes and dudettes: Try this new software. They really did an upgrade on the interface. Hopefully the performance, too. I just scanned a grundle of channels and will test the performance tonight.

ftp://info.ultima.com.tw

user ID = fae_customer

password = fae_customer
post #196 of 321 Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Just tried the software and I still have the 55 second "skip." DOH! I also just tried with Artec with beyondTV 4.5 and there is no skip. So perhaps it is not the hardware. The new interface has signal to noise ratio and signal level read outs that actually work. My "skip" is still occurring with 100% S/N and 93% signal level (+90% on most all channels). I am running Win XP Pro service pack 2 (no MCE) and a 2.8 GIG Pentium D duo with 1 Gig RAM.

The new interface now gives you options on where to park captures files.
post #197 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

got my Artec today and with the supplied antenna it pulls in the same channels as my MyHD MDP-100 with Silver Sensor antenna up in my 3rd floor walk-in-closet office.... no recording in the supplied app (I updated to the 1.0.3 version on the website), but MCE works fine with it.... wish my ancient circa 2001 Vaio laptop had a USB2 port....

my Fujiplus should come next week....

I have a question if you don't mind. I received the Artec tuner today and I'm having trouble connecting the antenna to the unit. The connector at the end of the supplied antenna is an F connector. I can't connect this directly to the Artec. Is this unit supposed to ship with an adapter so I can connect the supplied Artec antenna to the unit?

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Well, it looks like I was shipped an open box item that must have been returned. I talked to zipzoomfly and according to them, the Artec was supposed to ship with two adapters that connect to the antenna. ZZZ informed me that they are going to ship out the two adapters today.
post #198 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

Okay Artec T14A dudes and dudettes: Try this new software. They really did an upgrade on the interface. Hopefully the performance, too. I just scanned a grundle of channels and will test the performance tonight.

ftp://info.ultima.com.tw

user ID = fae_customer

password = fae_customer

I just tried ftping to the site and there are no files in the directory to download.
post #199 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

I gave them feedback that it didn't solve the 55 second skip and perhaps they pulled the update. The new interface is great though...

The updated software was 160 MB, compared to less than 10 MB or so with the old software.
post #200 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenightvision View Post

I have a question if you don't mind. I received the Artec tuner today and I'm having trouble connecting the antenna to the unit. The connector at the end of the supplied antenna is an F connector. I can't connect this directly to the Artec. Is this unit supposed to ship with an adapter so I can connect the supplied Artec antenna to the unit?

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the antenna adapter is a proprietary connector or would I be able to purchase this somewhere. I found a picture of the adapter connected to the Artec, but I'm not allowed to post a url at this time.

Thanks.
post #201 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the antenna adapter is a proprietary connector or would I be able to purchase this somewhere. I found a picture of the adapter connected to the Artec, but I'm not allowed to post a url at this time.

Thanks.

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I reached the magic number of five posts, so I now can post a picture of the antenna adapter. Would I be able to purchase the adapter online?

post #202 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I reached the magic number of five posts, so I now can post a picture of the antenna adapter. Would I be able to purchase the adapter online?

I thought ZZZ was shipping you one? I haven't ever seen a connector like it before. I'm not sure why they went to that extra expense. It's a push on type connector, and I am pretty sure proprietary. Who knows. On a side note, I got mine today, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Having other issues at the moment with the HTPC. Driver conflicts or something it seems.

post #203 of 321 Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

I thought ZZZ was shipping you one?

I never received a confirmation that they shipped the adapter. This is the first time that I ever purchased something from zipzoomfly, so I really don't know what to expect.
post #204 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

This was the first time I dealt with them as well, but everything came through beautifully and quickly. I ordered it the day before yesterday (12/4), and it came the afternoon of 12/6. So, I'd give them a day or two, and maybe a followup email or something today. I don't think you'd find this connector anywhere online anyways, though I could be wrong. I've never seen one before.

post #205 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

if not you can get many of these type of connectors (they're NOT cheap) at Pasternak Enterprises http://www.pasternack.com/

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #206 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

The manufacturer, Artec/Ultima, sent me another software driver directly to try from Taiwan. It is version 3.0.3.0 and unfortunately, I still have the skip with Windows XP (non MCE). But they must be on the right track because the picture and sound "skip" or number of dropped frames is much less intrusive now. I gave them feedback and they are working on it. I was frankly surprised that I even got an answer to my inquiry. They seem genuinely concerned about fixing the problem.

I was ready to dump the Artec and go with Hauppauge's HDTV stick, but will hold off for now to see what Artec can do with the driver.
post #207 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM

I just purchased the Artec T14A Tuner to use with my laptop. I can't get it to work with MCE and from reading the previous posts, assume it's because I don't have an analog tuner installed. I Keep getting at black screen that says essentially, can't receive channel and then MCE locks up. MCE does however scan and store all my available channels (with a signal level) and the guide does come up. I'm using the 1.3.1 (I believe) software that came with it.

I would prefer NOT using MCE but when I install the software, Artec recognizes that I have MCE and only installs the remote control software. Is there any way that I can also get it to install the Artec tuner software?

Thanks, Don
post #208 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 PM

It worked once and afterward I got blue screen of death.
I wish I will get access to driver version 3-0-3-0 as Timpanogos.

I think if we all report the problem to artec they will get better solution (in the form of driver file) for all of us to make this nice little tuner work.

Last night I used version 2-0-0-11, it also worked only one time on another notebook I tested.

Song
post #209 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 12:23 PM

On system 1 (HP dv6113us), this was my first time it worked right after
version
1.30 installed.
When I turned off PC and came back it was not work any more.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver 1.30, 2.0.0.7, 2.0.0.11, it still
failed with same blue screen and restarted computer.

1. HP dv6113us notebook PC
Windows XP Media Center Edition
AMD Turion64x2 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 256MB VDO
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
post #210 of 321 Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 PM

On system 2 (Compaq r3410us),this was my second and the last time I saw it
worked.
After nothing work on my system 1, I used all driver 1.30, 2.0.0.7 and only my
last attempt with the new 2.0.0.11 that work.
I saw nice HDTV out of it once. When I had disconnected the tuner to
rearranged
the attenna, it was no longer work.
I repeated with uninstalled and reinstalled with 2.0.0.11, nothing work and I
got only blue screen of death after I connected -
the tuner back to the USB port after the system is ready (after Windows
restarted, I wait until harddisk light went off and got
all the icons ready on my Windows desktop and Windows notification area).

2. Compaq r3410us notebook PC
Windows XP Professional Edition
AMD Athonlon-XP 2.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 32MB VDO
NVIDIA GeForce4 Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page