Any K-lite Codec Pack Users? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just refreshed my HTPC OS and am building a Ghost image for backup and future refreshing.

To ease the downloading and installing of all the codecs I need I was thinking about using the K-lite Codec Pack and wanted to see what others thought of it? The only thing I am worried about is it being too many codecs and casuing problems.

Any other HTPC owners use the K-lite Packs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Why not take the time and download what you need?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Stay away from codec packs. Why clog up your system loading codecs you'll never ever use? Just download the ones you need.
post #4 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 02:14 PM

I use the Klite Codec Pack Standard... it basically just uses Media Player Classic and ffdshow to decode everything. Then I additionally use Quicktime & Real alternative.
It proves for a quick and easy setup to watch basically any popular video format.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It also installs several (dozens!) un-needed filters, I wouldn't assume it "just uses ffdshow", because it doesn't.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

It also installs several (dozens!) un-needed filters, I wouldn't assume it "just uses ffdshow", because it doesn't.

Exactly. If you want to play most things with ffdshow and MPC, just install and configure ffdshow and MPC manually. Codec packs install many unnecessary or redundant filters which can cause conflicts down the road. Install what you need and configure it to work the way you want it to--don't carpet bomb the whole multimedia filter system.

"Via, concursus, tempus, spatium, audi me ut imperio. Screw it! Mighty forces, I suck at Latin, OK? But that's not the issue. I'm the one in charge, and I'm telling you open up, portal, now!"--Willow, *Buffy the Vampire Slayer*
post #7 of 19 Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM

Liked: 14
I agree with everyone else. FFDShow will decode pretty much everything you throw at it. If you want to encode something in Divx/Xvid/etc., then just download that individual codec. Steer cleer of codec packs.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM

I use k-lite mega codec pack. It installs everything I need in one simple setup application. I personally don't see the point in wasting a bunch of time installing everything individually.. The k-lite codec pack even fixes broken codecs and comes with a bunch of usefull tools. Total pwnage if you ask me!!

With guns this big, who needs bullets..
post #9 of 19 Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi,

As someone who writes directshow apps, codec packs are the worst thing you can do for media playback. I don't even help people who use my software and have codecpacks installed. Its impossible. Check out one of the stickies at the zoomplayer forums. Blight is very against them also.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardii View Post

Hi,

As someone who writes directshow apps, codec packs are the worst thing you can do for media playback. I don't even help people who use my software and have codecpacks installed. Its impossible. Check out one of the stickies at the zoomplayer forums. Blight is very against them also.

Thanks for all the reponses, this is exactly what I was wondering about!
post #11 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
The problem is, XVID isnt really available as a stand alone codec insatll package. I'm confused witch pack has the minimal amount of Junk.

My goal is
1) XVID
2) AC3 (clicking to use the volume boost is helpful)
3) MP4 H264 support

If I install KLite, and uncheck the stuff I "think" I dont need, then Media Center refuses to tune live tv. (you get the spinning circle hourglass lockup)

Here is my setup

ASUS Motherboard (latest AMD2)
NVIDIA 6600GT
X-FI Audio
NVidia Dual Tuner
DVICO FUSION 5 gold HDTV Tuner

I have the latest NVidia PureVideo package. I use this, and say NO to the Fusion MCE MPEG2 codec when it asks if I want it. Using PureVideo results in MUCH smoother playback of live HDTV channels.

Once I mess with FFDSHOW or KLITE my system is hosed. I have an acronis true image backup so I can play with several combinations.

What is the best way to get XviD, AC3, and h264 working with my Media Center XP machine?

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #12 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 08:41 PM

I've had good luck with the CCCP codec pack

CCCP Codec Pack

==Cocophone==
post #13 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone View Post

I've had good luck with the CCCP codec pack

CCCP Codec Pack

Thanks, I'm not sure if "Luck" is the way I want to go though. Can you add any more details on why this works best for you? Should I look for more talk about CCCP MCE in the forums? I guess I'll just have to try it since I can roll the system back if it fails.

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #14 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM

KLITE "Basic" seems to work so far. The Basic package is not as up to date as the regular ones are. What is the best site to download KLite Basic?

post #15 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 PM

I usually play MP4 files using zoomplayer. The CCCP codec pack installer sets it all up. After installing CCCP zoomplayer plays MP4 without problems. I can encode MP4 files with multiple audio tracks and a chapter file and zoomplayer plays the file without any problems. The audio tracks are 5.1 channel AAC.

==Cocophone==
post #16 of 19 Old 10-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Maybe I should dump Media Center, and try another HTPC livingroom app. I know I'll want to be on Media Center once Vista is stable enough to use though. (not enough driver support)

Do you use a 10 foot interface application in the livingroom? (or are you 100%
mouse/normal access to your collection)

I havnt tried the newest BeyondTV or Media Portal in awhile.

post #17 of 19 Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

The problem is, XVID isnt really available as a stand alone codec insatll package. I'm confused witch pack has the minimal amount of Junk.

That isn't correct. Every codec comes with a standalone somewhere. If it doesn't, its probably been stolen from the legitimate distributor and placed in the codec pack. I'm pretty sure they aren't asking permission. Anyway, here is a standalone

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
post #18 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 PM

I see some of you guys are anti-codec pack. You guys probably have NIH syndrone. I had the same feelings when I first tried K-Lite, but after using it for 2 years I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

K-Lite works great - K-Lite detects broken filters, installs missing filters, and configures all the filters.

With K-Lite I can play everything without hunting for individual codecs. I haven't noticed any negative effects on my system either.

In anycase, the K-Lite installer is quite flexible, so you can choose every component that gets installed onto your system.

P.S. K-lite comes in 3 editions (basic, standard, mega). I personally use standard.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmiller View Post

To ease the downloading and installing of all the codecs I need I was thinking about using the K-lite Codec Pack and wanted to see what others thought of it?

On behalf of every tech-minded person who's ever had to re-build a friend's windows installation splattered to the four corners of the compass by a codec pack, I would like to say:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page