Unofficial VGP-XL1B2 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone seen these changers for under the $250 mark anywhere lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoRip View Post

OK I tried addressing a few problems. I'm not sure the source of the main error (full slots not working correctly). I tried one thing (adding a sleep command after running slotfull) which incidentally will slow the function down, so it will take about 10 seconds to complete. Anyways, I also added functionality for Load / Unload. I redid the buttons (the new ones are included in the /temp directory in the zip). I'm going to have to add "clue text" soon. The stop button is now unmount and the right two buttons are load / unload. Anyways, give me feedback and someone please post the results of debug.ini if this does not fix the fullslots issue.

Sorrry I never responded to your email Galileo, I haven't been working on this thing much lately so I didn't check that email.

I'm confused by the quote from galileo2000 in this post (email to you?). It contradicts his forum post that said all was working at command line.

The only reason for 046a was to give Autorip some code that fixed Fullslots and Allslots. So if that function is not fixed in 047, then 046a is where to find an example of the fix. I'll try 047 myself soon.
post #543 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZigPC View Post

anyone seen these changers for under the $250 mark anywhere lately?

I got mine from J&R Music World for $199.

Highly recommended vendor.
post #544 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I got mine from J&R Music World for $199.

Highly recommended vendor.

Except its no longer in stock :-)
post #545 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Is there a fix for Vista to see more than the first 200 "CD's" when using multiple changers?
post #546 of 1655 Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaDogg View Post

I'm confused by the quote from galileo2000 in this post (email to you?). It contradicts his forum post that said all was working at command line.

The only reason for 046a was to give Autorip some code that fixed Fullslots and Allslots. So if that function is not fixed in 047, then 046a is where to find an example of the fix. I'll try 047 myself soon.

@MediaDogg: my email to AutoRip was totally on the different subject and had nothing to do with your fix.

I confirm that your 0.46a output fix works as well as your implementation of the Load / Eject from the command line.

OK, new and revised bug report for 0.47:

First, about full slots / all slots:

It is NOT the GUI.

MediaChanger.exe from 4/6/07 reports Full Slots incorrectly.

C:>MediaChanger.exe fullslots 0 reports first 99 slots full, with the exeption of slot 13, which is mounted at the moment. This is pretty bad. If I load the disc into the slot 13 while the "real" disc is mounted, what will happen after I unmount the drive? Jam, most probably.

Second, it ignores all the full slots beyond 99 on my machine.

c:>MediaChanger.exe emptyslots 0 reports all slots from100 to 199 as empty.

Load / Eject functionality of the GUI 0.47 will be tested in the next 30 minutes.

I've already confirmed MediaChanger.exe works fine with this functionality.

Update: Load / Eject works fine in GUI 0.47.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #547 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbear View Post

I can't get this blasted machine to read my CD's correctly, they always end up being named the same as the first CD that is accuratly read in. Is there a fix? this is with MCE 2005 all the updates etc.

I've seen that this is a known problem, but I seem to be the only one that has the problem when trying to rip from the CD's the computer thinks they are all the same and keeps writing over the previous rips.

After 3 days of trial and error I found a fix to the dreaded CD errors it's a registry setting (this is in XP)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Services->CDRom->AutoRun

Make sure it is 1 and not 0

Reboot and boom! Each CD is read as it should be. Now if I could only get this changer to actually grab each CD.
post #548 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbear View Post

After 3 days of trial and error I found a fix to the dreaded CD errors it's a registry setting (this is in XP)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Services->CDRom->AutoRun

Make sure it is 1 and not 0

Reboot and boom! Each CD is read as it should be. Now if I could only get this changer to actually grab each CD.

Is the same or different function you get from right clicking on a drive, going to properties and setting the AutoPlay defaults? I don't like to mess with the registry unless I really have to!
post #549 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Is the same or different function you get from right clicking on a drive, going to properties and setting the AutoPlay defaults? I don't like to mess with the registry unless I really have to!

No it's different as far as I can tell, because I tried the other Autoplay stuff (right clicking) it didn't have any affect.

It's not that difficult of a change, just change the 0 to a 1.
post #550 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Greg, I watched it loading and ejecting disks after I took off the cover.

When you load first DVD, it goes to slot 1. When you load second DVD, it goes to slot 10. When you load third, it goes to slot 20.

Etc.

Might not be relevant to your problem, but loading / unloading is not consecutive at all.

Also, did you flash the firmware with the latest?

Yes, I am aware of how the loader 'staggers' it's loads. The issue is that I insert the disc into slot 1 and then try and mount slot 1 and the changer goes for an open slot (1-2 slots off of the original slot 1). I tried to install the flashing SW on XP SP2 and it crashed my computer. So no, I did not get to flash the drive.
post #551 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Liked: 13
I remember reading here that Sony was going to release Vista software in April. Any news on this front?
post #552 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Sorry about that MediaDogg. I tried to read through all the postings since my last one (0.46), but I never really examined the code of 0.46a. If 0.47 is still flawed, please try to update it with the 0.46a code and we'll make it 0.48.
post #553 of 1655 Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I remember reading here that Sony was going to release Vista software in April. Any news on this front?

Possibly because the replacement is due out this Friday the 13th
XL1B3
post #554 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoRip View Post

Sorry about that MediaDogg. I tried to read through all the postings since my last one (0.46), but I never really examined the code of 0.46a. If 0.47 is still flawed, please try to update it with the 0.46a code and we'll make it 0.48.

Thanks, I kinda wanted to do that (I want that new GUI stuff too!), but I didn't want to risk getting out of sync again. So, please give me a couple of days, and save up any ideas for putting on top of 048. Thanks again. Good idea!
post #555 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_trip View Post

Possibly because the replacement is due out this Friday the 13th
XL1B3

I couldn't find any differences between this changer and XL1B2.

post #556 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

I couldn't find any differences between this changer and XL1B2.

1) They scratched off the 2 on the top right of the old changers and replaced it with a 3.

2) They upped the price $100 from the previous models.

Seriously, I see no difference either other than possibly having software that loads on Vista.

I'll be sending my current unit back to the ebay guy since after you load 50 or so DVD's it starts skipping. I've tried moving the belt over a few notches and it works for 2 DVD's before it starts missing again.

Maybe the '3' units have better loading mechanisms?

Tommy
post #557 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The XLB3 has a dual-layer DVD drive. That's double the capacity.
post #558 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

The XLB3 has a dual-layer DVD drive. That's double the capacity.

I have no problems whatsoever writing and reading dual layer DVDs on my XL1B2s.

post #559 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh now there's a surprise, I had no idea my unit would handle DL discs. Heh, free upgrade!
post #560 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh now there's a surprise, I had no idea my unit would handle DL discs. Heh, free upgrade!

I use the latest IMGBURN btw along with Sony Dual Layer DVDs.

post #561 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Hey guys, haven't posted on this thread in a while, but this XL1B3 really got me upset. I read the description on Amazon and besides the $200.00 increase there are no upgrades. Perhaps the Sony Software is now compatible with Vista, but if you are like me and use the changer primarily for DVD Archiving, I'm going to stick with the XL1B2 at $199.00 if I need to expand.

Where the @#$% is the BluRay Support?! I was really hoping for that feature and I know it would of cost a lot more than the $399.00 but I might have finally found an excuse to try that format out. So I guess I'm going to stick with my DVD's and my $199.00 XBOX360 HDDVD Addon.

Dwight2001
post #562 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use the latest IMGBURN btw along with Sony Dual Layer DVDs.

Yes. me too. I just burned two DVD+RL discs. Just in time, my other DVD+DL drive is starting to act up...

I'm wondering if the speed of the drive is different between the various XL1B versions? One site lists the XL1B3 as having a +/-R write of 16x. That'd be a bit quicker than what I'm getting on my XL1B.
post #563 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the burning help guys, I really wish there was an easier way to use this. For "mounting" the disc, do you just put the blank in and then tell MCE to detect new discs?
post #564 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, push the Load button on the front of the drive itself and then insert your blanks. Then go into MCE->My DVDs->Manage Discs and you'll see the dialog asking to scan new discs. Technically, you can skip this. But then you have to scroll through the list of DVDs and select the 'Unknown' one you just inserted.

What's really annoying is there doesn't seem to be a way within the MCE interface to tell which discs are in which slots, or what capacity or type a blank is using. So if you insert a bunch of DVD-R, DVD+DL and DVD-RAM discs you'll have no way of telling which is which from within the MCE interface.

So when I want to use an external program like ImgBurn to create data discs I have to go into MCE, randomly choose one of the discs listed as "Blank" and then go back into ImgBurn to see if it's the right kind of blank. PITA. Could they not have just provided a right-click on the Blank disc inside MCE?

Given that this DVD menu is geared toward already recorded media it's not like this is "wrong". But if a user understands things like archiving or backing things up then the MCE interface is more of a burden than an aid.

It's like you've got a swiss army knife with a dozen features and it's only letting you use the tweezers and toothpick. Meanwhile, none of the more useful tools are accessible.
post #565 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:

It's like you've got a swiss army knife with a dozen features and it's only letting you use the tweezers and toothpick. Meanwhile, none of the more useful tools are accessible.

Which is why I am sick and tired of Sony's "support", and I am busting out something that will actually do whatever we want it to do. I got this from Sony Support:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We're sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced. If you have a VAIO computer which was pre-installed from Sony with Windows XP and which meets the minimum system hardware requirements for Vista, Sony plans to provide selected Vista device drivers, utilities and application updates to enable limited basic functionality for your system under our recommended version of Vista.

Sony computers don't support Windows Vista Ultimate.

My response was:

Quote:

Please read this very carefully.

I DO NOT HAVE A SONY VAIO COMPUTER. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE.

I have 3 VGP-XL1B changers hooked up to my own computer. The changers work fine with the Vista MCE present in the Ultimate version.

I want to buy 3 more, but I'm not getting a warm & fuzzy that I should spend the money if I can't be provided a firmware update that works in Vista for spending $1200 on Sony's hardware. Where is all the profit going for these units anyhow? Looks like it ain't R&D.

You have the opportunity to get some developers together and make a killer app for these things, they would sell like crazy. I bought these because I didn't feel like spending $3000 (plus tapes) on a LTO-3 drive to back up the 9 computers in my house. If you could convince some developers to write an app for this that would:

- back up your computer
- let you rip your CD collection to MP3/WMA format unattended
- manage a metadata database for all the discs that are in there

you could sell these units like hotcakes! It's a no brainer.

I'm sorry Sony feels this way about supporting this product - it's disappointing, because it could do so much more with the right software. I imagine if you make a blu-ray version of this, you'd revolutionize the optical storage market for home computer users.

Not that I expect a response. They were great with hardware support when my stepping motor was hosed, but as far as software support they seem to take a "we will build it, and you will like it whether or not it works" attitude.

Installing Visual Studio 2007 now...and I am a C coder.
post #566 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Any of you seen the inside of these units? Does it actually have two devices in it? I wonder if we can modify the unit and replace the optical drive within.
post #567 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any of you seen the inside of these units? Does it actually have two devices in it? I wonder if we can modify the unit and replace the optical drive within.

I saw its insides.

What do you mean by "two devices"? there is Sony PCB connected to the "regular" Panasonic - Matsushita DVD ROM writer.

Yes, I wonder this too. Just bought a second Xbox 360 HD DVD after the wonderful news from the Doom9 decrypting forum.

One day I'll have enough courage to attempt drive replacement.

post #568 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear1023 View Post

Which is why I am sick and tired of Sony's "support", and I am busting out something that will actually do whatever we want it to do. I got this from Sony Support:

My response was:

Not that I expect a response. They were great with hardware support when my stepping motor was hosed, but as far as software support they seem to take a "we will build it, and you will like it whether or not it works" attitude.

Installing Visual Studio 2007 now...and I am a C coder.

You will NOT get any response from them.

But their damn hardware is the only game in town.

Let us know about your C success

post #569 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I saw its insides.

What do you mean by "two devices"? there is Sony PCB connected to the "regular" Panasonic - Matsushita DVD ROM writer.

Yes, I wonder this too. Just bought a second Xbox 360 HD DVD after the wonderful news from the Doom9 decrypting forum.

One day I'll have enough courage to attempt drive replacement.

I should have rephrased what i meant. I was wondering if it was a generic optical drive with some sort of extra attachment. Any chance you can toss up some pics here or to my email? thezigpc@gmail.com
post #570 of 1655 Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have rephrased what i meant. I was wondering if it was a generic optical drive with some sort of extra attachment. Any chance you can toss up some pics here or to my email? thezigpc@gmail.com

no.

there are just 8 nuts to unscrew.

If and when I decide to do it and if and when I succeed, I'll post the guide and the pictures.

If I decide not to do it or if I don't succeed, I will inform the forum.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page