post #721 of 1676 Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post

Is there a way to batch rip to FLAC in Vista?

Can MCE interface with winamp or other front end intead of Windows Media Player?

I'd love to know the answer to this too...So far I batched ripped them all to WMA lossless, did a batch convert to FLAC with DBPower AMP, then I just started the task of getting the album art with MediaMonkey. I would have liked to stay with WMA lossless, but my Phatnoise Music Keg for my car and my Sonos unit don't support the format which is why I needed to go to FLAC....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1676 Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There have been some OS X questions so I thought I would add this to the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

STRANGE, it says in the system specs that it has a 2.4x dual layer burner. any explanation for that? Anyway im over it, i burn most my dvd on my mac anyway. For the person who asked the question, i hooked it up to a mac, but it only recognized it as a matsitu external. I couldnt get it to recognize a disc. Yet again, i didnt put 200 in so that could have done it, who knows.

I have a VGP-XL1B2 hooked up to my G5 running 10.4.9. I am using MediaFinderX Universal Binary. I am able to catalog, burn, rip etc. I have about 100 DVD movies, some dual sided and the rest are a combination of CD and DVD backups.

MFX 2.0 is a beta and is completely unsupported and I have no idea whether it will continue to work with Leopard.

With the MFX driver installed it sees the XL1B2 as a PowerFile Changer and the Finder sees it as a 1TB read only drive. The Drive mounts on the desktop and functions like any other drive. Just Double click on any of the disk icons and the disk mounts, if it's a DVD it automatically begins to play fullscreen(depending upon your prefs)

The discs can also be catalogued using DiskTracker, also makers of MFX 2.0, in addition to most other cataloging apps like CD Finder or Disk Library. Searches are fairly seamless, just depends upon disc loading time. It is also possible to use the changer with FrontRow and othe Mac Media Center Apps.

Toast and the Finder recognize the internal MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9584-(-R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL).

In addition to the MediaFinder X 2.0 they also have an automated CD ripping application.

-The Rip Monkey is the fully automated solution for hands-off conversion of large collections of Audio CD's to digital format. Using up to three PowerFile R200 MFX or R200ROM MFX libraries, The Rip Monkey runs Apple's iTunes software to quickly and easily convert up to 600 Audio CD's to MP3, AAC, AIFF, or WAV format.-

to get the software go to Portents (Not allowed to add URLS yet )
post #723 of 1676 Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 AM

Liked: 11
I am more than likely wrong, but when i looked into it the mediafinder application and mediamonkey dropped support for anything after 10.3. Again i may be wrong. Also isnt that software a pay for use program. When i looked the price was outrageous. Please do correct me if im wrong though
post #724 of 1676 Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Hi, I have an original XL1 running Vista and have about 100 DVD's in the jukebox. The majority of DVD's have the correct cover art come up in DVD Library under MCE, but a few don't and I'll looking for a way to add the cover art and if possible the other movie info that is available from AMG. Any thoughts? THANKS.
post #725 of 1676 Old 06-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Mce dvdid Was the program that i believe would allow you to retrieve data from AMG, amazon imbd all that good stuff. also you can get data for non origianl dvd's
post #726 of 1676 Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Hey, I just got a VGP, but I can't get it to work. I've been troubleshooting for a while, but if anyone out there can help I'd greatly appreciate it (and I can start developing again )

I have a Windows XP Home SP2 PC. Here's where I've been and what happens...

First Install

+Just plugged in to Firewire port
+Installed Mammoth Software's Powerexplorer
+Windows recognized it as Powerfile changer
+Couldn't get mediachanger.exe to work
+Installed upgraded firmware & installed CD software that came with it
+Installed Windows Hotfix - Windows then recognized it as Sony drive & changer
+Stopped Removable Storage in Windows Services
+Mediachanger now works, but only off-and-on. I can turn the computer on, and mediachanger will work, and the drive will show up in Windows Explorer as a valid DVD drive. Seemingly at random, it will stop working all together. I can't use it as a DVD drive, and mediachanger.exe will not work. The whole system locks up if I try to do something with the changer, and the only way to fix it is to shut off the system or the changer.
+Thinking that it was a conflict between Sony's software and Mammoth's I uninstall the Mammoth software. No change. Then I figure that maybe there are some residual files, so I reinstall Windows.

Second Install
+Install Windows SP2
+Update everything via Windows Update
+Install Hot Fix update for changer
+Same problem with mediachanger working on / off described above
+Try to install the Sony software, but now it won't let me because I don't have MCE (strangely it let me install it with the prior install without MCE).
+Tried upgrading the firmware again (grasping at straws...)

I have been able to determine somewhat the trigger for the problem. If I go into a dialog box that looks at the drives or if a progam tries to query the drive to determine all the information about the drive (such as DVD name, file system, etc.) then the problem seems to be triggered.

Any thoughts from any users out there, any similar experiences, any suggestions?

Right now my top possibilites are as follows:

+I didn't install something correctly in the drivers / software side
+My Adaptec 4300 Firewire card doesn't play well with the VGP
+I have a driver conflict somewhere else in the system (using beta Nvidia drivers and RealTek HD Audio drivers)
post #727 of 1676 Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong1 View Post

Hi, I have an original XL1 running Vista and have about 100 DVD's in the jukebox. The majority of DVD's have the correct cover art come up in DVD Library under MCE, but a few don't and I'll looking for a way to add the cover art and if possible the other movie info that is available from AMG. Any thoughts? THANKS.

MexicanMike is right you can try either MCEtilities or MCEDVDID, both programs had the same author and can be found over at the greenbutton.com One note though, both programs were written for XP and get mix results running on Vista, the author is currently working on a Vista fix and has some tips on the MCEtilities thread at the greenbutton to make it work smoother on Vista. I have had mixed results getting them to run stabily on Vista.

If either program acts funky, you could always do the corrections manually, by copying the cover art from AMG and placing it in the CoverArt folder in the DVDInfoCache folder. You also have to rename the picture the same DVD Id# as listed in the DVDInfoCache. I suggest using MCEDVDID to get that info. If you are not really changing things with MCEDVDID it should run stable enough to just get that info. Finally once finding the correct xml (also named the same DVD Id#) you can open it in NotePad and manually make corrections then Save.

I know this sounds complicated and once MCEtilities has been fully updated to Vista will make things very easy. It uses a search feature that allows you to pull cover art and metadata from dvdxml.com and then overwrites appropriately. Plus most of the xml's from dvdxml are copies from the metadata from AMG.

Dwight2001
post #728 of 1676 Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Thank you. I will give it a try.
post #729 of 1676 Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

One thought - it appears that if I mount a DVD without AMG data, I can go to Windows Media Player (outside of Media Center) and use WMP to search and load the missing data. The data seems to load ok and so does anyone know a way to copy the data from WMP to MCE? Thanks.
post #730 of 1676 Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

I just read through the whole thread and it's still not clear to me if this changer -- and all of the software features of the changer -- is compatible with Vista Media Center.

Is it?

If I want to use MyMovies, is it compatible with that?

I read that there is no difference between the B2 and the B3. Is this confirmed?

Why have the prices risen since last year? What happened to the $200 price point?

Any info greatly appreciated.
post #731 of 1676 Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Yes, the xl1b2 is compatible with vista. Also MM does work with vista and the xl1b2. Although as of right now there are a few kinks, sorry brian. MM in the future will only support vista, so no worries in future developement for the changer. I am using xp and media center with two xl1b2's and media center and i love the changers and My Movies. You cant go wrong with this changer. The reason the price has risen is that at one point there was a huge surplus of these items and buyers. Now that there is a demand for these units, because everyone wants a second one, there are none available. Sony looks to have abandoned these units. They briefly released these untis as the B3 when the vgx-xl3 came out, but now sony looks to be not supporting them. Some believe that they will replace it with a blu-ray unit, wishfull thinking at this point. But it is probable in the future. I picked up four of these units about 4 or five months ago. I love em!!!!!
post #732 of 1676 Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 AM

I have read the entire thread...

I am using Vista Ultimate and I cannot get the VGP-xl1b2 to work.

It sees the unit but will not load the driver.

When I try to run the Vista Software from Sony, it says" this software is not intended for this computer"

My system is 100% Vista Ultimate compatable.

I have tried to run as admin with XP SP2 also.

FYI it did work with MCE just fine....

HELP!

John
post #733 of 1676 Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wish I had been turned on to these when they were still 200. The WAF was o.k. at that point but is non-existent now
post #734 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 AM

With xp sp2 and no mce, the software will more than likely not load. However, vista ultimate should be able to load it okay. Are you using the software in the box with the xl1b2, sadly that software was released well before vista, and as such more than likely would not work. I do believ that vista ultimate, on top of that is 64 bit if im not mistaken, depending on if you got it aftermarket or with the cpu, and i dont believe the sony software, or My Movies works with any 64 bit software.
post #735 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:

With xp sp2 and no mce, the software will more than likely not load. However, vista ultimate should be able to load it okay. Are you using the software in the box with the xl1b2, sadly that software was released well before vista, and as such more than likely would not work. I do believ that vista ultimate, on top of that is 64 bit if im not mistaken, depending on if you got it aftermarket or with the cpu, and i dont believe the sony software, or My Movies works with any 64 bit software.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit.

I am using the drivers I downloaded from Sony. I will try to get new discs.

John
post #736 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:

One thought - it appears that if I mount a DVD without AMG data, I can go to Windows Media Player (outside of Media Center) and use WMP to search and load the missing data. The data seems to load ok and so does anyone know a way to copy the data from WMP to MCE? Thanks.

MCE will use the same metadata if WMP on the same machine as MCE. At least, it does for me. I use WMP 11, which I like a lot. If your MCE is on a different machine, try setting up library sharing under WMP 11, then you should be able to view libraries on other machines. After viewing with WMP, MCE should also be able to see them.
post #737 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 PM

MediaDogg, thank you for the response. I am using WMP and Media Center on the same Vista Ultimate machine. On DVD's that Media Center does not recognize and so no cover or synopsis etc., I would run WMP with that DVD loaded and manually search for the title and load the data. However, when I return to Media Center, the data I downloaded in WMP does not carry over. I know you say it works for you...any ideas? Thanks.
post #738 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:

MediaDogg, thank you for the response. I am using WMP and Media Center on the same Vista Ultimate machine. On DVD's that Media Center does not recognize and so no cover or synopsis etc., I would run WMP with that DVD loaded and manually search for the title and load the data. However, when I return to Media Center, the data I downloaded in WMP does not carry over. I know you say it works for you...any ideas? Thanks.

Missd your prior post that indicated Vista, and read "MCE" as Media Center Edition 2005. Sorry. There is a freeware utility out there for fixing up DVD cover art - it's mentioned way earlier in this thread I think. But if you haven't tried it It is called "DVD Album Art Fixer". Not sure if it runs on Vista though.
post #739 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitjm View Post

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32bit.

I am using the drivers I downloaded from Sony. I will try to get new discs.

John

Getting new discs will not help. I believe that the discs have not changed since the vista release, someone else please confirm, as i do not have vista, and i got my changers before vista. Was it completely failing to install, or you just cant find the app. Have you tried My Movies yet. My movies runs a auto detect for the changers. Try to give that a shot.
post #740 of 1676 Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight2001 View Post

As of right now, the only way to Batch Rip a CD Collection is by using the Sony Software that came with the changer. If you use EAC, you will have to do it one at a time by using Windows Explorer. Sorry.

Not true.

http://blogs.phred.org/blogs/alex_we...-hardware.aspx
http://blogs.phred.org/blogs/alex_we...mp3-files.aspx

I bought the changer specifically to rip music using EAC. I wrote and modified the software to make it work, then sold the changer once I had ripped all of my CDs.

alex
post #741 of 1676 Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoRip View Post

Hey, I just got a VGP, but I can't get it to work. I've been troubleshooting for a while, but if anyone out there can help I'd greatly appreciate it (and I can start developing again )

Glad to see you back on the scene. Regarding your problems, it is a sure bet that mediachanger.exe won't work if you can't see the drives natively under windows. I would check (1) cables, (2) Device nanager - nake sure the driver is not getting undone, (3) all that other software might be competing for ownersjip of the drives, or maybe even turning RSM back on. I would try temporarily disabling all non-essential media-type software until things stabilize, and re-install them one by one. Good luck buddy!
post #742 of 1676 Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Anyone know where to get the best deal on a VGP-XL1B2. Does anybody have on for sale?
post #743 of 1676 Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggraphics View Post

In addition to the MediaFinder X 2.0 they also have an automated CD ripping application.

-The Rip Monkey is the fully automated solution for hands-off conversion of large collections of Audio CD's to digital format. Using up to three PowerFile R200 MFX or R200ROM MFX libraries, The Rip Monkey runs Apple's iTunes software to quickly and easily convert up to 600 Audio CD's to MP3, AAC, AIFF, or WAV format.-

dggraphics,

Thanks for posting Mac info. I had asked about OS X many month ago and never heard anything.

What version of iTunes are you running? I have been considering getting a changer to batch rip but Rip Monkey says it only works with iTunes 4.7.

It would be great to know that the changer works with a newer version of iTunes.
post #744 of 1676 Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 AM

Hi all, anybody knows how to set the dvd region to 0 (all regions) in the xl1b? or by pass the region check before playing? I have an XL1B3 running in Vista Home Premium (yeah, the amazon bluff!!)
Thanks in advance
post #745 of 1676 Old 06-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I second the request for info on buying. I can't find anything less than 350-400 and none ship to Canada I so wish I had hit that Tiger Direct sale when it was on!
post #746 of 1676 Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaDogg View Post

Glad to see you back on the scene. Regarding your problems, it is a sure bet that mediachanger.exe won't work if you can't see the drives natively under windows. I would check (1) cables, (2) Device nanager - nake sure the driver is not getting undone, (3) all that other software might be competing for ownersjip of the drives, or maybe even turning RSM back on. I would try temporarily disabling all non-essential media-type software until things stabilize, and re-install them one by one. Good luck buddy!

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to check on another computer, same problem. So at this point it is either a software or a cable issue. Anyone have any idea of what software is needed for it to work? Right now I'm just using whatever XP SP2 installed + the hotfixes, I'm wondering if it is as simple as installing something else (maybe extracting something from the VAIO CD Rom)

One thing I noticed. In DVD Decrypter, the three numbers (I believe LUN numbers) show as 0:0:0, and so do the three numbers of my internal DVD Ram drive. I've disabled the DVD Ram, to see if it is a conflict, but it does not behave any differently. Next step is to just unplug it.

Has anyone got it to work in XP SP2? Alex, I believe you were using SP2, but I wasn't sure, same with Galileo. Any suggestions or hints? I just tried another firewire cable, that didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure its a software issue, but besides those two things I'm stumped.
post #747 of 1676 Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Has anyone got it to work in XP SP2?

That's what I use mostly. Not to beat a dead horse - but just to make sure, RSM has to be disabled - not just stopped. I'm hoping it's something just that simple that maybe you overlooked - being so eager to get going! Can you tell us what you see in device manager? Does the device appear as a Sony drive or Powerfile? If it says Powerfile, then that's the problem - (it hapened to me, but I forgot what I did to fix it - maybe that's the hotfix?). Anyway, I'm out of ideas at the momemnt - but if something else comes to mind, I'll edit this post. I'm nearly as eager as you are to get you going ... BTW, we can't dismiss the possibility that you got a bad changer unit. Sure hope that's not the case, but ...

Funny - now I'm having some similar issues. I think its because finally I have stopped "testing" and I have been installing and setting up the family HTPC under MCE 2005. I have the latest GUI-053x and my DVDProfiler plugin and I'm rockin'. Except that at seemingly random times, the changer will stop communicating. The drives still show up under windows, but mediachanger.exe doesn't work. I solved it by powering off the changer and then back on. I have no clue - but my solution will probably be to just keep the thing powered off until I need it. Most of the time, I'm using the PC for music, videos and the internet anyway.

BTW - just in case anybody is interested, I bought a used IBM "ThinkCenter" desktop dirt cheap on their "refurbished" PC web site - $300 for a 3GHZ HT P4 with a gigabit LAN. What I didn't expect was that it is dead silent - no noise whatsoever. 3 fans that run so silently that there is no disruption to the Home Theater experience. Seems faster than its specs would indicate.
post #748 of 1676 Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Getting new discs will not help. I believe that the discs have not changed since the vista release, someone else please confirm, as i do not have vista, and i got my changers before vista. Was it completely failing to install, or you just cant find the app. Have you tried My Movies yet. My movies runs a auto detect for the changers. Try to give that a shot.

Thanks, Will try...

J
post #749 of 1676 Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to check on another computer, same problem. So at this point it is either a software or a cable issue. Anyone have any idea of what software is needed for it to work? Right now I'm just using whatever XP SP2 installed + the hotfixes, I'm wondering if it is as simple as installing something else (maybe extracting something from the VAIO CD Rom)

One thing I noticed. In DVD Decrypter, the three numbers (I believe LUN numbers) show as 0:0:0, and so do the three numbers of my internal DVD Ram drive. I've disabled the DVD Ram, to see if it is a conflict, but it does not behave any differently. Next step is to just unplug it.

Has anyone got it to work in XP SP2? Alex, I believe you were using SP2, but I wasn't sure, same with Galileo. Any suggestions or hints? I just tried another firewire cable, that didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure its a software issue, but besides those two things I'm stumped.

AutoRip, did you get my email?

As MediaDogg mentioned, the most important thing is to DISABLE Removable Storage Service in XP and reboot the machine.

Then XP should recognize the changer and pop up "New hardware found.."..blah blah and end with the "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use".

If not, replace 1394 cable and try again.

If not, something wrong with the 1394 port on your PC.

For the reference, I use "vanilla" sleapstreamed XP SP2 with NO automatic updates whatsoever.

It is quite possible MS automatic updates broke something somewhere.

If you want/need sleapstream CD, just let me know, I'll send it to you.

@MediaDogg: all my changers appear as both DVD-RAMs and PowerFiles in the Device Manager, I don't see any problems with that.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #750 of 1676 Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

@MediaDogg: all my changers appear as both DVD-RAMs and PowerFiles in the Device Manager, I don't see any problems with that.

Yup, I just discovered that too ... with my "family" HTPC. But on my test machines, I got them to say VGPXl1b2 somehow ... it was way back in this thread that somebody posted a step-by-step, but I can't find it and I can't remember how. Oh well, the darned carousel spins - that's all that matters, eh?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page