post #1651 of 1657 Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post

The scratched disc has happened to me. I have yet to find a solution

well looks like i'm not the only one.  It appears as long as the discs aren't scratched that anydvd keeps reading the new discs and all is well, but I've had it fail on 8 discs in a row that I know were not scratched, and then after I pulled them out, all had scratches in the same circular pattern.  :(

For this reason i'm only going to let ez changer read like 10 discs at a time, to limit the possible damage.  :(  I wish there was a fool proof way to do this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1657 Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Any chance to get cd batch ripping under Windows 8.1? Dbpoweramp no longer works. I have to do it one by one with EZ Changer and it is a PITA.
post #1653 of 1657 Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post

Any chance to get cd batch ripping under Windows 8.1? Dbpoweramp no longer works. I have to do it one by one with EZ Changer and it is a PITA.

well ez changer works in windows 8, you should probably message mschmid4 the guy who wrote the program. he should be able to think of a solution.

post #1654 of 1657 Old 05-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post

DB Poweramp worked so well it did not warrant my time writing something myself. I did play around with doing a timed swap so you could let itunes rip when a CD was mounted, the problem was there was no error handling so if a disc was scratched or took forever to rip the software would change discs in the changer blindly.

I would just recommend dual booting windows 7, get a second hard drive and install window 7 and db poweramp. It will save you tons of time in troubleshooting.
post #1655 of 1657 Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I just picked one of these up last week at the local Goodwill. Unfortunately, it's having alignment issues. I took it apart and tried everything listed in this thread, but still no luck.

Is it possible that the belts can become stretched/worn and causing the alignment issues? I searched the thread and didn't find much info about it, and even if that were the case, I'd guess it would be next to impossible to get a new belt at this point.
post #1656 of 1657 Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ge View Post
Hey guys, I just picked one of these up last week at the local Goodwill. Unfortunately, it's having alignment issues. I took it apart and tried everything listed in this thread, but still no luck.<br><br>
Is it possible that the belts can become stretched/worn and causing the alignment issues? I searched the thread and didn't find much info about it, and even if that were the case, I'd guess it would be next to impossible to get a new belt at this point.
sp00ge, the belt isn't the issue. The gear on the carousel stepper motor is simply pressed on a round armature (it isn't keyed). Over time with a heavy load of discs, the gear tends to slip slightly. Eventually, it becomes impossible to realign the carousel.

But there is a fix! First be sure to eject all of the DVDs (no need to have a computer attached). If there are a lot of them, it can be tedious. If you double-press the eject button, it will proceed to eject all DVDs. Remove the lid and plastic cover. If after doing a full eject there are still DVDs loaded, or it errors out because of the alignment issue, manually remove all of them and then you will have to simulate ejecting the DVDs by tricking the sensor. Just hold 1 DVD and every the lock opens to allow a DVD out, push one in part way and then pull it out. It will go through all the DVD slots it thinks it has. After everything is ejected, power off the unit, wait 5 seconds and power it back on. It will reset the carousel to "home". There should be a black mark on slot one. That should be pointing to the exit door. Turn off the unit.

There are 2 alignment nuts on the stepper motor. If you moved them trying to align the carousel, move them back into a mid-position. This is very important as you will see. Very carefully, pry up on the carousel gear on the stepper motor with a small flat-blade screwdriver until it almost comes off but can still be rotated without moving the stepper motor. Align the slot 1 with the exit door and then push the gear down about half way. Now take a drop of superglue and drop just a little bit on the inside wall of the gear and then push the gear down before it dries. This will prevent you from 1, having to do this again, and 2, making the gear looser on the armature.

You can now test 1 DVD by inserting it. It should almost just fall in and the arm will take it the rest of the way. Then eject it to make sure it's smooth. If not, now use the adjustment bolts to fine tune the stepper motor for both tension and location. It should not be too tight since the belt has teeth for the gear. Once one DVD works, do the test again with 4. The system will space them on the carousel (they won't end up next to each other). Once you can do this, the system is repaired!

BTW, if you have a lot of DVDs to reinsert, press the load button twice and it will take disc after disc!
post #1657 of 1657 Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Parts ?

Hello all,

As a result of two United Parcel Service package handling disasters, I currently have a couple of damaged/non-functional Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B / XL2B 200-Disc Changers which may have some reusable, salvageable internal parts and mechanisms for replacements (the face panels of both were detached and destroyed by careless handling by UPS.)

I thought I should put out word to you folks, in case anyone is trying to restore functionality to one of your changers and finding it difficult to find the part(s). If there is something you need, send me a 'PM', and attach a digital photo and/or a clear description of the internal part(s) you need, and we can discuss.

While I am at it I may as well ask does anyone knows how and where to obtain a replacement front face panel assembly for one of these Disc Changers?
I am in the process of converting one of my three other functional VGP-XL1B/XL2B Changers into a 20-HDD Home Media NAS for my networked Sony VAIO VGX-XL2A & VGX-XL3 systems. The face panel of the VGP-XL2B unit I am converting needs replacement, due to cosmetic damage.

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 DLS (x2) * Windows7(x64) * Xeon X3230 * 8gb PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A DLS * Windows7(x32) * Pentium D 960 * 4gb PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL2B Server * 'RAID-10' * AMD-A8-5500 * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)
VAIO VGP-XL1B 200-Disc Changers (x2) * DVD/CD-RW

Last edited by REnninga; 08-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page