post #1651 of 1672 Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post

The scratched disc has happened to me. I have yet to find a solution

well looks like i'm not the only one.  It appears as long as the discs aren't scratched that anydvd keeps reading the new discs and all is well, but I've had it fail on 8 discs in a row that I know were not scratched, and then after I pulled them out, all had scratches in the same circular pattern.  :(

For this reason i'm only going to let ez changer read like 10 discs at a time, to limit the possible damage.  :(  I wish there was a fool proof way to do this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1672 Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Any chance to get cd batch ripping under Windows 8.1? Dbpoweramp no longer works. I have to do it one by one with EZ Changer and it is a PITA.
REnninga likes this.
post #1653 of 1672 Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post

Any chance to get cd batch ripping under Windows 8.1? Dbpoweramp no longer works. I have to do it one by one with EZ Changer and it is a PITA.

well ez changer works in windows 8, you should probably message mschmid4 the guy who wrote the program. he should be able to think of a solution.

REnninga likes this.
post #1654 of 1672 Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post

DB Poweramp worked so well it did not warrant my time writing something myself. I did play around with doing a timed swap so you could let itunes rip when a CD was mounted, the problem was there was no error handling so if a disc was scratched or took forever to rip the software would change discs in the changer blindly.

I would just recommend dual booting windows 7, get a second hard drive and install window 7 and db poweramp. It will save you tons of time in troubleshooting.
REnninga likes this.
post #1655 of 1672 Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I just picked one of these up last week at the local Goodwill. Unfortunately, it's having alignment issues. I took it apart and tried everything listed in this thread, but still no luck.

Is it possible that the belts can become stretched/worn and causing the alignment issues? I searched the thread and didn't find much info about it, and even if that were the case, I'd guess it would be next to impossible to get a new belt at this point.
REnninga likes this.
post #1656 of 1672 Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ge View Post
Hey guys, I just picked one of these up last week at the local Goodwill. Unfortunately, it's having alignment issues. I took it apart and tried everything listed in this thread, but still no luck.<br><br>
Is it possible that the belts can become stretched/worn and causing the alignment issues? I searched the thread and didn't find much info about it, and even if that were the case, I'd guess it would be next to impossible to get a new belt at this point.
sp00ge, the belt isn't the issue. The gear on the carousel stepper motor is simply pressed on a round armature (it isn't keyed). Over time with a heavy load of discs, the gear tends to slip slightly. Eventually, it becomes impossible to realign the carousel.

But there is a fix! First be sure to eject all of the DVDs (no need to have a computer attached). If there are a lot of them, it can be tedious. If you double-press the eject button, it will proceed to eject all DVDs. Remove the lid and plastic cover. If after doing a full eject there are still DVDs loaded, or it errors out because of the alignment issue, manually remove all of them and then you will have to simulate ejecting the DVDs by tricking the sensor. Just hold 1 DVD and every the lock opens to allow a DVD out, push one in part way and then pull it out. It will go through all the DVD slots it thinks it has. After everything is ejected, power off the unit, wait 5 seconds and power it back on. It will reset the carousel to "home". There should be a black mark on slot one. That should be pointing to the exit door. Turn off the unit.

There are 2 alignment nuts on the stepper motor. If you moved them trying to align the carousel, move them back into a mid-position. This is very important as you will see. Very carefully, pry up on the carousel gear on the stepper motor with a small flat-blade screwdriver until it almost comes off but can still be rotated without moving the stepper motor. Align the slot 1 with the exit door and then push the gear down about half way. Now take a drop of superglue and drop just a little bit on the inside wall of the gear and then push the gear down before it dries. This will prevent you from 1, having to do this again, and 2, making the gear looser on the armature.

You can now test 1 DVD by inserting it. It should almost just fall in and the arm will take it the rest of the way. Then eject it to make sure it's smooth. If not, now use the adjustment bolts to fine tune the stepper motor for both tension and location. It should not be too tight since the belt has teeth for the gear. Once one DVD works, do the test again with 4. The system will space them on the carousel (they won't end up next to each other). Once you can do this, the system is repaired!

BTW, if you have a lot of DVDs to reinsert, press the load button twice and it will take disc after disc!
REnninga likes this.
post #1657 of 1672 Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 1
Sony VGP-XL1B

I just noticed the other day that a used one of these popped up on Amazon for sale. Might be one of your last opportunities to pick one up as they are becoming harder and harder to come by.
REnninga likes this.
post #1658 of 1672 Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Speaking of which, anyone want to buy mine? Works great.
REnninga likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #1659 of 1672 Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Speaking of which, anyone want to buy mine? Works great.
Hello Shape,

Ah, well, I'm looking for one which no longer 'WORKS fine', ... but LOOKS fine.
LOL!
Seriously, I'm engaged in a project for which I need to nearly completely gut-out the internals of a VGP-XL1B, or XL1B2 or XL1B3 unit, which no longer works but is cosmetically pristine. My project is converted use as a media server.
I have three units in mint condition (which 'work fine'), but I just can't bring myself to gut-out a perfectly functioning Changer, for my project. You know what I mean? It would be a sacrilege.

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 (x2) * Windows 10 T.P. [64-bit] * Xeon X3230 Quad 2.66GHz * 8GB PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A * Windows 10 T.P. [32-bit] * Pentium D 960 Dual 3.60GHz * 4GB PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL1B / XL1B2 (x2) 200-Disc Media Changers * DVD/CD-RW
VAIO VGP-XL1B Media Server * 20x HDD 'RAID10' * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)

Last edited by REnninga; 10-17-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #1660 of 1672 Old 10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I could always break it for you.
REnninga likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #1661 of 1672 Old 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello Shape,

OK, sounds like a deal. First, you break it (to significantly lower it's resale value for others), and then send me a 'PM' telling me what you want for your "still looks fine, but no longer works fine" VGP-XL1B Changer.

However I'm not committing to buy it at your offer price; I mean after all you would be trying to sell me a non-functional unit which you deliberately broke! LOL

Cheers!
Robert.

©REnninga. All rights reserved. Reuse of the above post in whole or in part is prohibited.
VAIO VGX-XL3 (x2) * Windows 10 T.P. [64-bit] * Xeon X3230 Quad 2.66GHz * 8GB PC2-6400 * 3D Blu-ray BD-R/RE
VAIO VGX-XL2A * Windows 10 T.P. [32-bit] * Pentium D 960 Dual 3.60GHz * 4GB PC2-5300 * Blu-ray BD-RE
VAIO VGP-XL1B Media Server * 20x HDD 'RAID10' * 3D Blu-ray BDXL (project in progress)

Last edited by REnninga; 10-17-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #1662 of 1672 Old 10-05-2014, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
My VGP-XL1B2 apparently just died tonight. I may want to buy your changer, Shape, if I can figure out how to send a PM I will send you one....

Or I may want to buy PARTS....this just happened like 2 hours ago and I still haven't figured out quite what to do. I love having a VGP-XL1B2 so I guess I've either got to fix this one or buy another.

The changer aspect works fine, the carousel seems to rotate OK, it homes up OK, it will load discs properly to the drive, but the drive never spins up and always says NO MEDIA PRESENT in Img Burn's Media Changer control. DBPoweramp cycles the changer then says says "waiting for CD after load... ...No CD after load."

So either:
1. Some sensor that tells the unit that a disc is in the drive is off kilter / dead
2. The drive itself in my VGP-XL1B2 is kaput
2. Control board is kaput.
Of course, I would like to fix the thing, and I will open it up tomorrow and have a look, but I'd hate to start replacing things like the drive then the board, only to find it still does not work. (If I can even GET the parts from a unit where those parts work but the changer mechanism is kaput.)

So maybe I will just buy another one.

FYI if I get another one I may be parting this out, and mine is cosmetically in nice shape.
REnninga likes this.
post #1663 of 1672 Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Powerfile r200 bd ???

Anyone have any knowledge about using a POWERFILE R200 BD in place of a Sony VGP-XL1B2 ? Does the POWERFILE R200 BD work with ImgBurn for DVDs or dbPowerAmp Batch Ripper for audio?
post #1664 of 1672 Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMilosz View Post
Anyone have any knowledge about using a POWERFILE R200 BD in place of a Sony VGP-XL1B2 ? Does the POWERFILE R200 BD work with ImgBurn for DVDs or dbPowerAmp Batch Ripper for audio?
Well the PowerFile R200-BD arrived and it behaves the same way the Sony VGP-XL1B2 did, the disc will load but the drive will not spin, the drive shows up in Windows 7 Explorer but says it's empty, even after I used MediaChanger.exe to load a CD into it.

I tried the Sony VGP-XL1B2 on two other machines, including the original Sony Vaio VGXXL1 Media PC (running XP) that it came with. Nothing but drive errors. I also tried opening the thing up and connecting the internal DVD-RW drive to a USB/IDE adapter and drive power supply. Connected it to a PC. Ran some diagnostics. Nothing but I/O errors. That drive is defective.

I suspect the new (actually USED) Powerfile R200 has drive problems. I tried it on two different Windows 7 machines and no matter what I do it will NOT read a disc. Not in ImgBurn, not in dBPowerAmp CD BatchRipper, and not by using MediaChanger.exe to load a disc into the drive and then trying to open that drive in Windows. I tried both the regular Windows 7 IEEE 1394 driver and the "legacy" driver. No dice "drive not ready" or "Insert A Disk"

The PowerFile was was eBay and the seller did not test it beyond powering it up. I've got 14 days to return it.

So I am going to borrow yet ANOTHER Sony VGP-XL1B2 that is known to work.... if that works, then I'll have to buy one I guess.

It seems like both the Sony VGP-XL1B2 and Powerfile R200 couldn't both be bad, but I think they are. I've tried them on three computers, including XP that has always worked with the Sony VGP-XL1B2 (and hasn't had any operating system updates since then... since Microsoft isn't doing updates any more.)

This is crazy, but once to you get used to the convenience of these media changers it's hard to go back to manually changing discs when you have 400 to copy....

I'll post back once I get my hands on the "known good" Sony VGP-XL1B2.

Last edited by BillMilosz; 10-09-2014 at 03:18 AM.
post #1665 of 1672 Old 10-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
My XL1B seems to have died on me as well. The alignment seems fine but when it loads the disc into the drive, I can hear a motor humming but the drive itself doesn't close on the disc.

I'm about half way through a 1k CD library rip session. If anyone has experienced this type of behavior, your input would be really appreciated. I pulled the cover after a previous loading incident so I've watched it load discs. It really looks like there's something in the drive itself that's gone bad but I'm not 100% sure.
post #1666 of 1672 Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 AM

Hi pcfixer. In my case it looked like the drive was closing on the disc, and on some loads the drive head would seek back and forth a bit, and on one occasion the disc spun briefly. Nonetheless, the drive was never "seen" by Windows or any other software as having a disc.

Pcfixer, try the command-line utility MediaChanger.exe

http://phred.org/~alex/transcode/Med...diaChanger.zip

Park the unzipped file in a directory on your hard drive, C:\temp or whatever you like.

Open a command line window (formerly called a DOS prompt- in Windows XP, Windows 7 and so on you can do this by typing cmd into the RUN dialogue and clicking OK. Use the CD command (CD = Change Directory) in the command line window to navigate to the directory where you have placed MediaChanger.exe and type mediachanger.exe into the command line and hit ENTER on your keyboard. Mediachanger.exe will respond with a list of it's command arguments. You can MOUNT discs from the carousel, it can tell you which slots in the carousel are occupied, which are empty, and you can see DRIVESTATUS. In particular, using this utility lets you load and unload discs, and with the cover off you can observe the operation to your heart's content. Take a look at the gear mechanism on the lower back edge of the drive itself, this is the motor / gear / belt mechanism that actually closes the drive onto the disc. Maybe the belt has broken- take a look at this area on your drive, maybe there is a problem with the driver-closer mechanism. Try turning the white gear by hand, it should close the drive. I don't know if anyone could fix one of these if broken - if the belt was broken, I suppose you could find a replacement if you could find the broken belt- and if you are mechanically inclined maybe you could figure out how to replace it... the area I am talking about is shown outlined in red in this picture...

post #1667 of 1672 Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM

THE A-HA MOMENT!!!

OK, so the Sony VGP-XL1B I've had since ~2010 seemed to die in the middle of copying a batch of DVDs to ISOs. WOuld load discs but drive never spun and Windows always said "no disk in drive." dBPowerAmp Batch Rip and ImgBurn also said "no media."

So I bought a used PowerFile R200-BR off eBay for $250 plus shipping; it arrived and acted the same way. Tried both changers on two Windows 7 machines and the Sony VGX-XL1A Vaio "Media PC" that came with the VGP-XL1B, running XP and both changers acted the same way on all three computers- "NO MEDIA PRESENT" - disc would load, drive's optical head would scan around a bit but drive never spun.

I connected the drive in the Sony VGP-XL1B to a USB-IDE adapter and power supply, and it acted the SAME WAY in Windows "NO DISK."

What are the chances that BOTH media changers have the SAME problem- a bad drive? Seemed unlikely... but yet... I tore out what little remaining hair I had fooling around with IEEE 1394 drivers, rolling Windows back to previous states, etc etc. In the end it really seemed that it was the HARDWARE that was bad.

So I bought yet ANOTHER media changer- a Sony VGP-XL1B off Amazon for $250 plus shipping. Crazy, yes- maybe.

This Sony VGP-XL1B arrived today, I connected it to my Windows 7 PC and it works PERFECTLY.

CONCLUSION: I have TWO media changers - a VGP-XL1B and a PowerFile R200 - which are not working, and which seem to have BAD DRIVES.

The Ebay seller refunded my money as soon as I told him the PowerFile R200-BR would not read discs. A good seller for sure - eBay ID cdr_express .

With this VGP-XL1B I got off Amazon, everything works FINE.
post #1668 of 1672 Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
THE A-HA MOMENT!!!
Quote:

OK, so the Sony VGP-XL1B I've had since ~2010 seemed to die in the middle of copying a batch of DVDs to ISOs. WOuld load discs but drive never spun and Windows always said "no disk in drive." dBPowerAmp Batch Rip and ImgBurn also said "no media."
So I bought a used PowerFile R200-BR off eBay for $250 plus shipping; it arrived and acted the same way. Tried both changers on two Windows 7 machines and the Sony VGX-XL1A Vaio "Media PC" that came with the VGP-XL1B, running XP and both changers acted the same way on all three computers- "NO MEDIA PRESENT" - disc would load, drive's optical head would scan around a bit but drive never spun.
I connected the drive in the Sony VGP-XL1B to a USB-IDE adapter and power supply, and it acted the SAME WAY in Windows "NO DISK."
What are the chances that BOTH media changers have the SAME problem- a bad drive? Seemed unlikely... but yet... I tore out what little remaining hair I had fooling around with IEEE 1394 drivers, rolling Windows back to previous states, etc etc. In the end it really seemed that it was the HARDWARE that was bad.
So I bought yet ANOTHER media changer- a Sony VGP-XL1B off Amazon for $250 plus shipping. Crazy, yes- maybe.
This Sony VGP-XL1B arrived today, I connected it to my Windows 7 PC and it works PERFECTLY.
CONCLUSION: I have TWO media changers - a VGP-XL1B and a PowerFile R200 - which are not working, and which seem to have BAD DRIVES.
The Ebay seller refunded my money as soon as I told him the PowerFile R200-BR would not read discs. A good seller for sure - eBay ID cdr_express .
With this VGP-XL1B I got off Amazon, everything works FINE.

Hello Bill,

Just a quick anecdote. I have had a similar experience when batch ripping with my VGX-XL2A / VGP-XL1B. To make a long story short I discovered that the VGP-XL1B was somewhat finicky about which media I used in it. Even some commercial DVD's would not be seen. It literally could not see certain choices of recordable media. It couldn't see any TDK brand media, nor could it see some other manufacture's of +R media, and once stopped in the middle of batch ripping when transitioning from one package of recordable disks to the next, even though they were the same brand.

I later discovered by reading the labels that one batch was made in Singapore, the other in China; same label, two different manufacturing plants, the Changer could see one but not the other. Interestingly those recordable disks which could not be seen by the VGP-XL1B were ALL usable without problem in the VGP-XL1B2 which I bought later. I can only assume that the later model unit (the XL1B2) either has updated firmware which allows it to see media, and burn those recordable disks not usable in the XL1B, or it has a different model rewriteable optical drive inside).

The PowerFile R200 was manufactured about the same time as the VGP-XL1B, and might be prone to the same inability to see certain media. And it's possible that the second VGP-XL1B unit you purchased may be one of the later-manufactured XL1B2 or XL1B3 models?

VGP-XL1B2
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGPXL1B2&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab =manuals#/manualsTab

VGP-XL1B3
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGPXL1B3&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab =manuals#/manualsTab

Just a thought ....

Cheers!
Robert.

Last edited by REnninga; 10-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #1669 of 1672 Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REnninga View Post

Hello Bill,

Just a quick anecdote. I have had a similar experience when batch ripping with my VGX-XL2A / VGP-XL1B. To make a long story short I discovered that the VGP-XL1B was somewhat finicky about which media I used in it. Even some commercial DVD's would not be seen. It literally could not see certain choices of recordable media. It couldn't see any TDK brand media, nor could it see some other manufacture's of +R media, and once stopped in the middle of batch ripping when transitioning from one package of recordable disks to the next, even though they were the same brand.

I later discovered by reading the labels that one batch was made in Singapore, the other in China; same label, two different manufacturing plants, the Changer could see one but not the other. Interestingly those recordable disks which could not be seen by the VGP-XL1B were ALL usable without problem in the VGP-XL1B2 which I bought later. I can only assume that the later model unit (the XL1B2) either has updated firmware which allows it to see media, and burn those recordable disks not usable in the XL1B, or it has a different model rewriteable optical drive inside).

The PowerFile R200 was manufactured about the same time as the VGP-XL1B, and might be prone to the same inability to see certain media. And it's possible that the second VGP-XL1B unit you purchased may be one of the later-manufactured XL1B2 or XL1B3 models?

VGP-XL1B2
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGPXL1B2&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab =manuals#/manualsTab

VGP-XL1B3
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGPXL1B3&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab =manuals#/manualsTab

Just a thought ....

Cheers!
Robert.
Well, my original VGP-XL1B stopped working in mid-run, and would not re-read any discs it had read earlier.

The PowerFile wouldn't read ANY discs I put in it- it has 2 Blu-Ray drives in it - but would not read commercially made CDs, DVDs or Blu-Rays. Never mind trying to read any recordable media, be it CD-R or DVD +/- R discs, it would not read ANY of the commercially-pressed "silver" CDs, DVDs or BR's I put in.

The issue is the drive(s) in these machines did NOT spin at ALL after a disk is loaded into them. With the top cover off, I could see that the disc was properly loaded into the drive from the carousel, and the drive was closed properly on the disc. The head would seek around but the drive spindle never turned- a disk that is not rotating at all cannot be read no matter what kind of disk.

On the most recent VGP-XL1B I got, after any disc is loaded the drive spindle begins to spin it as the head does that initial seeking.

My original VGP-XL1B and the one I just got have roughly same date code stamped on the drive loader assembly support beam inside, serial number is also close so I think these are of similar vintage / firmware.

Additionally, when I disconnected the DVD-RW drive from the IDE controller and power supply inside that original VGP-XL1B of mine and instead connected the drive to an "external IDE drive USB enclosure" IDE cable and power supply, the drive did not spin at all either. This points to the drive itself likely being bad, rather than the VGP-XL1B controller. (Although of course they could BOTH be bad.)

I have not done this test on the PowerFile, so I am less confident that the drives in the PowerFile are bad- there could be a controller problem or etc. I will be working on both my old VGP-XL1B and the PowerFile in the fullness of time- I'm going to try to first replace the drive in the VGP-XL1B and then later work on that PowerFile.
post #1670 of 1672 Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know where I can get the original setup CD or download the files for the VGP XL1B2 or how I can get the unit to be recognized as a multi CD device in Windows Media Center in Windows 7 without the original setup files?
post #1671 of 1672 Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feugs3 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the original setup CD or download the files for the VGP XL1B2 or how I can get the unit to be recognized as a multi CD device in Windows Media Center in Windows 7 without the original setup files?

Hello 'feigs'. Give this a try:

Sony® Multimedia Changer Utility
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-do...os_group_id=10

Read the "Important notes" and follow the "Download and Installation Instructions" , with the following exception:
Rather than double-clicking on the SOAOTH-01468000-US.EXE file, right mouse click on the file and choose "Run as administrator".

When the utility installation completes, reboot your computer. Wait for the completion of the reboot, power-on the Disk Changer, then open and run Windows Update.

Also, be sure to update/install the compatible IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers for Windows 7 in "Device Manager". You need to enable IEEE 1394 support in the BIOS (if it is currently disabled), and then in Device Manager, IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, select the driver named "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"
[Note: In some versions of Windows 7 this driver may be called "Old" rather than "Legacy"]

Good luck to you.

Cheers!
Robert.

PS. I have a copy of the original VGP-XL1B2 Disk Changer installation CD-Rom for Windows XP MCE. It's of no use for Vista or Windows 7 OS, but if anyone needs an .ISO image for burning a copy of the original CD-Rom, send me a 'PM' request and I will upload the .ISO to my cloud storage and send you a download link.

Last edited by REnninga; 11-01-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling check and additional text
post #1672 of 1672 Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 AM

What kind of DVD-RW drive is inside the VGP-XL1B2??

I've got a VGP-XL1B2 with a dead drive in it. Anyone know what model drive it is they use inside these things? Or know of a drive that will fit? Just want to fix the dead VGP-XL1B2, not make it faster, or Blu-ray capable or anything like that, just need to replace the dead drive.
Reply Home Theater Computers