Unofficial VGP-XL1B2 Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1681 of 1706 Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Buttrey View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. My windows 7 machine doesn't have a firewire connection. Perhaps I can download something onto my xp laptop?
You could install a PCIe firewire adapter in your machine (assuming its not a laptop). They cost all of a tan of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1706 Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Buttrey View Post
Ez Changer and Mediabrowser don't seem to work with XP.
What do you hope to achieve with the dvd changer? Batch rip mp3s or dvds? Or play dvds and cds while connected to a HTPC? I really think with XP it will require the media center version. If you have a spare hard drive you could put it in the PC with the firewire port and install Windows 7.
post #1683 of 1706 Old 01-20-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks so much for all of your help. I am wanting to make sure it works as intended. My windows 7 PC doesn't have an open slot to add firewire. My XP machine, which has firewire, doesn't have the proper software and I can't seem to find ANY that will work the machine.

I bought a firewire to USB adapter but it doesn't seem to be recognized by my Windows 7 pc.

What I know. It loads and ejects discs. When I plug it into the old XP machine it will recognize the currently loaded disc but it just dissappears when I click on it.

So, is there a way to ensure the unit is in working order without having some software?

If not, is there any software for Windows XP that will control the machine?

Thanks so much once again.
post #1684 of 1706 Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 11
There is no way (that I know of) for you to make sure the unit is functional without XP media center edition/Vista/7/8. You need either a version of MCE or third party software (which which only works on windows vista or greater) to mount and unmount discs.

Perhaps the firewire-->usb thing could work, or potentially you could convert XP to XP MCE using
. Personally I would install Windows 7 on the machine with the existing firewire port. Good luck.
post #1685 of 1706 Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 AM

Liked: 2
I can definitively say that the XL1B works great under XP without MCE, but you do need some additional
software to drive it. I'm using dBpoweramp for ripping, and it's perfect for what I want to do (plowing through
a 1000+ cd collection) as it handles making sure all of the tags and artwork is correct from multiple sources
along with verifying the checksum for each track with a crowd sourced result.

dBpoweramp has a free 30 day trial so you can check it out. Over in the dBpoweramp forum we're trying to figure
out if the changer works under Windows 7.... I'm in the same boat of not having a firewire interface on a 7 box
to test it. Anyway, I'm really happy with it under XP.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #1686 of 1706 Old 02-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well. I have a firewire card on my Win 7 PC now and the XL1B is recognized under device manager BUT not anywhere else. WMC doesn't see it, it isn;t listed under drives. When I load a disc in it it doesn't recognize it. Any ideas?

Shows up in Device manager but nowhere else??? Drivers are updated.
post #1687 of 1706 Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 AM

Liked: 2
Maybe try rolling to the legacy Firewire driver? Seems to fix some folks problems elsewhere.....

Fixing Firewire Problems in Windows 7

Copyright 2013, Studio 1 Productions, Written by David Knarr

After installing Windows 7 on both 64 bit and 32 bit systems, we ran into a problem using Adobe Premiere, we couldn’t import video into the computer via the Firewire port anymore.

At first we thought this was a compatibility problem between Windows 7 and Adobe, but we quickly ruled that out when another program also had problems using the Firewire port.

The problem was with the new Windows 7 Firewire driver (a.k.a. the 1394 Driver) and the fix was a simple one. Replace the new 1394 driver with the Legacy driver that comes with Windows 7.

Below is the step by step instructions on how to install the Legacy driver so you won‘t have any problems either:

Click Start

Then click on Control Panel

Click on Device Manager

Note: If you don’t see Device Manager listed, click on View By: Category on the top right side of the
Control Panel Window.
Then Click on Large Icons
You should now have a list of items in the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.

Under the Device Manager, look down the list for IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers and Double Click on it.

It should display something like - 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Note: If it has the word (Legacy) behind it, you are already setup and you can just exit out.

Next, double click on the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

A window will popup saying 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Properties

Click on the Driver Tab

Then look down in the widow and click on Update Driver

Then select - Browse my computer for driver software

Next select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

It will bring up a list of drivers.

Click on 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

NOTE: It is important that you select the one with (Legacy) after it, just like shown above.

Then click Next

Once it installs the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy),
it will say Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Click on the Close button and exit out of all of the other windows.

Then Reboot your computer.

You will now be able to import video via the Firewire port on your computer.

If you are still having a problem importing video after you have switched the Firewire driver to Legacy, then the problem may be with the Firewire port. This is a common problem. The Firewire port will work with an external driver, but it won't let you import video from your video camera. Most people report this problem with Dell computer, but it does happen with other brands, even brand new computers. This problem is usually with the Firewire port that is built into the motherboard.

The fix is simple:
1. Install a Firewire card into one of the open slots in the computer
2. Using the instructions above, set the drive to Legacy.
3. Reboot the computer.
4. Then connect the Firewire cable from the video camera, into the new Firewire port that you just added.

This fixes the problem 99% of the time. Firewire cards are not the expensive, they run from $10 and up, depending on any extra features the card may have.

NOTE: We have noticed that when Microsoft has issued certain updates, it can cause Windows 7 to switch back to use the original 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller driver. If you notice the Firewire device is transferring slowly again just repeat the above steps and reinstall the Legacy driver.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #1688 of 1706 Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any Information regarding a 3.7v Battery Hidden inside my SONY VAIO VGP-XL1B Unit?

Any Information regarding a 3.7v Battery Hidden inside my SONY VAIO VGP-XL1B Unit?
Hello.

I am looking for answers to my questions regarding my SONY VAIL VGP-XL1B DC-R / DVD Player.

I bought it from a eBay Seller 2 years ago ( 2013 ) and the Unit works great with my Custom Built Computer, but I decided to Open It Up and do a Air Blow Out of this Unit which was most likely Never Done since it was Brand New, so I opened it up and Cleaned it out, and when I Removed the Bottom metal Plate so that I could Blow Out the Built Up Dust I found Several Circuit Boards which are Hidden down there, and on 1 of them is a Fuse Snapped In which I did not know was there, and on another Circuit Board is a Small AA Sized, but 1/2 of the Regular AA Length 3.7v Battery inside a Black Plastic Battery Case which looks like it can be Popped Off for the Battery's Removal, so my question(s) is / are Why is that Battery there, and what is it's Job, meaning is it for the Unit's CMOS or BIOS Retention, or does it do something else inside this SONY VAIL VGP-XL1B DC-R / DVD Player Units Bottom ?

Does it Need to be Replaced because it May Be the Original Battery ?

Does Anyone here know Anything About this Battery and what is it there for ?

Kindly write me back and let me know if you know what I am referring to, or if you do Not Know Anything about this Kindly refer me to someone who May Know about this 3.7v Battery and Why it is there, What it does, and if it Requires Replacing ?

Any Information regarding this would be Greatly Appreciated. ;~)

Thanks much.

James Evans in Clovis CA..

Reply E-Mail: mrevansisnumber1 at gmail dot com
post #1689 of 1706 Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans 2 View Post
Hello.

I am looking for answers to my questions regarding my SONY VAIL VGP-XL1B DC-R / DVD Player.

I bought it from a eBay Seller 2 years ago ( 2013 ) and the Unit works great with my Custom Built Computer, but I decided to Open It Up and do a Air Blow Out of this Unit which was most likely Never Done since it was Brand New, so I opened it up and Cleaned it out, and when I Removed the Bottom metal Plate so that I could Blow Out the Built Up Dust I found Several Circuit Boards which are Hidden down there, and on 1 of them is a Fuse Snapped In which I did not know was there, and on another Circuit Board is a Small AA Sized, but 1/2 of the Regular AA Length 3.7v Battery inside a Black Plastic Battery Case which looks like it can be Popped Off for the Battery's Removal, so my question(s) is / are Why is that Battery there, and what is it's Job, meaning is it for the Unit's CMOS or BIOS Retention, or does it do something else inside this SONY VAIL VGP-XL1B DC-R / DVD Player Units Bottom ?

Does it Need to be Replaced because it May Be the Original Battery ?

Does Anyone here know Anything About this Battery and what is it there for ?

Kindly write me back and let me know if you know what I am referring to, or if you do Not Know Anything about this Kindly refer me to someone who May Know about this 3.7v Battery and Why it is there, What it does, and if it Requires Replacing ?

Any Information regarding this would be Greatly Appreciated. ;~)

Thanks much.

James Evans in Clovis CA..

Reply E-Mail: mrevansisnumber1 at gmail dot com
The Changer remembers which cd is where even if you unplug it or turn the power off. It's probably just to maintain the database memory.
post #1690 of 1706 Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM

The laser in my unit has finally died, I've managed to hack in a blu-ray drive via USB, and if I leave the old board hooked up the changer initializes properly and I can mount, unmount, ect...

I was hoping to modify the mschmid4's Ez changer software (I only use it to rip) to look at an assigned drive rather than the built in unit. this way I can stuff the old drive board in the bottom, plug in the firewire and a usb and it would operate normally only with what ever drive the usb is. Unfortunately my C skills are greatly lacking, is there anybody that would know how to accomplish the software part?
post #1691 of 1706 Old 02-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by krassyg View Post
Any chance to get cd batch ripping under Windows 8.1? Dbpoweramp no longer works. I have to do it one by one with EZ Changer and it is a PITA.
I'm running it perfectly on Windows 8.1 Just be sure to load the legacy IEEE 1394 (firewire) driver from microsoft.com and the proper driver from dbpoweramp.com
post #1692 of 1706 Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok I know I am probably out of line here but I blame it on age. This is probably not the correct space for this but it does deal with the sony vgp-xl1b. I need help batch dvd ripping with this device. I have searched the internet as well as I know how. I see that it is possible but none of the post actually say how it is done, I have tried lots of things but I cannot get it to batch rip, I can get individual dvds to rip one at a time after I select them in mediachanger.exe. please if anyone can explain the process to me in stupid man terms it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Waylon
post #1693 of 1706 Old 03-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

I ended up ripping my DVDs by hand using Wondershare's program. Worked great, but I don't have TONS of DVDs.
post #1694 of 1706 Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I ended up ripping my DVDs by hand using Wondershare's program. Worked great, but I don't have TONS of DVDs.
And that's the problem, I have a huge dvd collection. I have already built a 12TB nas that I started ripping to. I watch the movies on a popcorn hour. I set up a computer to rip on with 3 dvd drives but ripping 3500+ dvds 3 at a time is a pretty daunting task.
Thanks again
Waylon
post #1695 of 1706 Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm actually in the middle of re-ripping my entire collection to FLAC with dbPoweramp, and it's going very well, The sound quality from FLAC is a helluva lot better than mp3.

What OS are you running? If you're running Win 7 or 8, you need the legacy firewire driver. I think you can get it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/...e-package.aspx

Once you can control the Sony, you might be able to find some command-line stuff that will do the ripping for you.
post #1696 of 1706 Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM

I can control the dvd changer with media changer, I can actually even access and watch movies in windows media, its the command line thing that I am CLUELESS about. Does anyone have a link or write up on how it is done?
post #1697 of 1706 Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

^^
Do you have any documentation on command line stuff?
post #1698 of 1706 Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM

No I don't, but to be honest I have not looked for it. I know that some of the rip programs work via command line but I am unfortunately not that savvy, I am willing to do the leg work though. If you have some pointers as to which ripping software (just doing .iso files) and where to find command line library that would be helpful.
post #1699 of 1706 Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

See if this works: http://www.mperfect.net/dvdmassrip/

or this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/arch...p/t-27271.html

or this: http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5434

Last edited by wilbur_the_goose; 03-07-2015 at 03:44 PM.
post #1700 of 1706 Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon h View Post
No I don't, but to be honest I have not looked for it. I know that some of the rip programs work via command line but I am unfortunately not that savvy, I am willing to do the leg work though. If you have some pointers as to which ripping software (just doing .iso files) and where to find command line library that would be helpful.
If you look at post 1631 it gives you a step by step how to operate using EZchanger 1.1 along with a link. it will also work on win7 media centre. If you dont want to relly on dvd decrypter to remove the copy protection just run anyDVD along with it.
post #1701 of 1706 Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 AM

thanks thecptn I think that will work although I am getting a microsoft.net crash error I will have to figure out but it seems like is should work for what I want it to.
post #1702 of 1706 Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 AM

Excuse me if mschmid4 is monitoring this post could you please help me with your great program? Thanks for this program it is exactly what I was looking for. I am having a few problems with it, I hope maybe you can walk me through a resolution. I get it all setup to run after I have set the filename etc. I click the run batch rip button it does its query, opens up DVD decrypter and either just after Decrypter opens or maybe simultaneously I get a microsoft.net error pop up on my screen. that one disc continues to rip but at this point it does not cycle to the next disc in the queue. Have you had this problem before or is it just something with my computer?
Thanks in advance
Waylon
post #1703 of 1706 Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using my XL1B2 to rip my CD collection for several years without a problem. I've been lending it out to friends and family to rip their collections without problem. But lately I am having issues getting CDs to load. It will load a few and then stop. I took the cover off and what happens is that when I hit the load button the carousel rotates to the next open slot, the front door slot opens and the guiding arm comes up but when I insert the CD, the guiding arm does not lower to allow the CD to go into the slot. After about 10 seconds, the arm will lower and the CD will drop into the slot but the changer doesn't recognize their is a CD in the slot, so when I hit load again, the arm comes up and ejects the CD that was just loaded.

I don't think this is an alignment problem because the CDs that are loaded will mount into the drive just fine and can be ripped with dBpoweramp. I'm not sure what causes the guiding arm to lower when you insert a CD. It doesn't seem to be pressure sensitive, I suspect it is a timer.

As anyone experienced this and have any advice for a fix?

Karl
post #1704 of 1706 Old 04-11-2015, 11:09 AM

I have tried this and get a "PX Error" and the install stops. Has anybody seen that yet? Running Vista with all the drivers and BIOS configured as discussed.

Thanks -jamie
post #1705 of 1706 Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 AM

I apologize for the post, I thought it would end up under the replied to -- the question was when installing Sony's media changer on Vista has anybody seen a "PX Error."

I have one more question, I have spent many hours trying to get my VGP-XLB to be used for mass ripping (actually creating iso's). I have used dvdmasrip and dvd decrypter and it has worked once and then stopped. I see some people here who are in the 1K ripping area and was wondering if someone would have mercy on me and tell me how they did it!

Thanks so much in advance -jamie
post #1706 of 1706 Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Jamie,
First of all, forget the Sony software - I find it to be useless.
Get yourself a Windows 8.1 PC with a Firewire port, and use dbPoweramp. I used it to rip my entire (2K+) CD collection to FLAC, and it worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers