post #1681 of 1684 Unread 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Buttrey View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. My windows 7 machine doesn't have a firewire connection. Perhaps I can download something onto my xp laptop?
You could install a PCIe firewire adapter in your machine (assuming its not a laptop). They cost all of a tan of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1684 Unread Today, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Buttrey View Post
Ez Changer and Mediabrowser don't seem to work with XP.
What do you hope to achieve with the dvd changer? Batch rip mp3s or dvds? Or play dvds and cds while connected to a HTPC? I really think with XP it will require the media center version. If you have a spare hard drive you could put it in the PC with the firewire port and install Windows 7.
post #1683 of 1684 Unread Today, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks so much for all of your help. I am wanting to make sure it works as intended. My windows 7 PC doesn't have an open slot to add firewire. My XP machine, which has firewire, doesn't have the proper software and I can't seem to find ANY that will work the machine.

I bought a firewire to USB adapter but it doesn't seem to be recognized by my Windows 7 pc.

What I know. It loads and ejects discs. When I plug it into the old XP machine it will recognize the currently loaded disc but it just dissappears when I click on it.

So, is there a way to ensure the unit is in working order without having some software?

If not, is there any software for Windows XP that will control the machine?

Thanks so much once again.
post #1684 of 1684 Unread Today, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is no way (that I know of) for you to make sure the unit is functional without XP media center edition/Vista/7/8. You need either a version of MCE or third party software (which which only works on windows vista or greater) to mount and unmount discs.

Perhaps the firewire-->usb thing could work, or potentially you could convert XP to XP MCE using
. Personally I would install Windows 7 on the machine with the existing firewire port. Good luck.
Reply Home Theater Computers