Unofficial VGP-XL1B2 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1657 Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't see this covered, but it looks like you can use these XL1B2's without MCE!

http://www.mammothi.com/

It is not cheap, but for those who are looking outside the MCE box - PowerExplore looks like it might be something that could be used in a networked situation as it allows control by command lines. Bulk ripping of DVDs looks rather interesting as well.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1657 Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbears View Post

Dwight,

Thanks for the response. It definitely sounds do-able to make it work for me. Unfortunately, all my back-ups and home movies are in DVD+R. I used fairly good quality media, however, so maybe I'll have some luck.

It sounds like people have gotten this working pretty well with MyMovies and it sounds much more cost effective than backing up my entire DVD collection to a hard-drive. I haven't used MyMovies, does it take a lot of tinkering?

Thanks again,

Mike (Da Bears)

Da Bears,

DVD+R's have been hit or miss with me on the XL1B2. Hopefully if they are really good quality it won't be an issue with you. I haven't tried MyMovies yet, but I have heard from the grapevine, that a soon to be released version will have Changer support. Perhaps, Binnerup can comment.

Dwight2001
post #183 of 1657 Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM

For those that have the changer, does the changer come with software and support burning multiple DVD-R or DVD+R? That is load up 10 DVD-R/DVD+R disks, select ~45 GB of files to backup and have all of the data backup onto the 10 discs without user intervention.
post #184 of 1657 Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler13 View Post

For those that have the changer, does the changer come with software and support burning multiple DVD-R or DVD+R? That is load up 10 DVD-R/DVD+R disks, select ~45 GB of files to backup and have all of the data backup onto the 10 discs without user intervention.

not sure as i didnt load the cd that came with it. but it is possible with some scripting.

-pd
post #185 of 1657 Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

No, it does not come with software to do that. The software is geared solely for using it in MCE. There's really nothing it comes with that'll let you use it for backups or any sort of data file oriented activities. The software doesn't even understand how to catalog and handle accessing video and audio files from data DVDs. It's DVD-video and CD-audio oriented only. The archiving of TV shows feature deals only with SD programming, it will not work with HD programs.

So all in all, this changer is not a winner. Had I known it was so crippled I probably would not have purchased it.
post #186 of 1657 Old 02-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdermody View Post

not sure as i didnt load the cd that came with it. but it is possible with some scripting.

-pd

Are these scripts in the pubic domain?
post #187 of 1657 Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

So all in all, this changer is not a winner. Had I known it was so crippled I probably would not have purchased it.

let me know when you want to sell yours
post #188 of 1657 Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else had a problem with MCE2005 and the VGP-XLB1 seeing all the audio CDs as the same? I've put 4 audio CDs into it and MCE lists them as all being the same. If I eject them all and reinsert them in a different order MCE uses whichever one it sees first for all of them. Now what's also odd is WMP sees them the same too.

I had to scrounge a bit to come up with some CDs that didn't have the same number of tracks. What're the odds that 4 random CDs would all have the same numbers of tracks? Or that the next eight random ones I picked would ALSO have exactly 11 tracks. Yeesh, just how hard am I supposed to have to work to debug this eff'in thing...

I finally managed to find another two discs, one with 6 and the other with 14 audio tracks. Guess what? It's worse. The new one with 14 tracks (Buena Vista Social Club) is seen by MCE. But the 2nd one (one of the wife's George Winston discs), with only 7 tracks now gets shown as BVSC! Arrrggggh!

When I try using WMP to play the 7 track disc (which shows up wrong) it seems to pick some random part of the disc when a track higher than what's available is selected.

Ok, so it's FUBAR. But where? In MCE, WMP, the changer or what? I'm about ready to pitch this f*ker out into the snow...
post #189 of 1657 Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Ok, so it's FUBAR. But where? In MCE, WMP, the changer or what? I'm about ready to pitch this f*ker out into the snow...

I keep reading similar posts about how the changer is working poorly on MCE for some people. I hope I can help because this really is an excellent changer.

One thing I can tell you, the problem you are seeing is not related to the changer but the host software that controls it. Since I only run mine under Linux, I am not familiar with the software you are using to control it. For the most part, the device is really quite dumb. It depends completely (almost) on the host software to manage the changer and drive. When you plug in the changer, the PC will see it as two devices:
  1. CD/DVD Changer Device
  2. CD/DVD Drive (ATAPI:SCSI)
Again, I haven't tried any of the MCE/WMP stuff you've been using but my guess is that it's caching the disc IDs + TOCs somewhere on you MCE PC's hard drive. It may be locking that info to specific slot positions in the changer. This must be some kind of cataloging mode, i.e. it expects you to put in your CD collection, it identifies them, logs CD info to local database (file), and you use the changer to simply index / play your collection. Is there an option in the host software interface for clearing a local cache or database?

Do you want use the device strictly as an automated ripper or do you want to play your CDs from it? I made an ugly Python script for ripping/encoding all the audio CDs in the changer. It's only been run on Linux but I'm sure it could be modified to work on Windows. I wouldn't know how to do it
post #190 of 1657 Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 PM

wkearney99, It's really not the changer that is providing the metadata for DVD's or CD's. It's the partnership of Microsoft and AMG which provides metadata for both the Changer ad WMP. You could try this application it works great for me for DVD's but haven't really tried it for music CD's.

To be honest I haven't really tried the changer with audio CD's since my collection is totally electronic.

Dwight2001
post #191 of 1657 Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no need or desire to hook it up to my linux boxes. It's great that it CAN be done, just that it's not for me.

I'd like to use it for what the software claims to provide. I'd like to use it for playing media data files from data formatted discs too. But barring the latter, I'd at least like the former to actually WORK.

And it's not that the data being downloaded is bad. I can load ONE disc and it'll load that disc's metadata properly. So the lookup from online isn't the problem. The problem is for some inexplicable reason the MCE software controlling it gets itself confused about what disc is actually present. As in, it thinks disc A is loaded, but when I ask it to play tracks it correctly plays disc B (or which ever other disc, that's just an example). Most of my collection is already ripped onto a NAS. But there are new discs and those being used temporarily (like xmas music) that still find usefulness as just plain old audio CDs.

Thanks for the pointer to the MCE add-on, it looks like it's only for DVDs though.
post #192 of 1657 Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:

I have no need or desire to hook it up to my linux boxes. It's great that it CAN be done, just that it's not for me.

Huh? I didn't suggest that you use Linux. I only mentioned it for comparison purposes to help you debug your problem in Windows. Anyway, good luck!
post #193 of 1657 Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the problem isn't at the OS level. Windows itself sees the drive and the changer controller just fine. It's up withing MCE that there appears to be some misunderstanding about how to list it within the Sony software for the changer. Thus using linux for debugging, while useful in many other situations, doesn't seem like it'd be of any help here.
post #194 of 1657 Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are these scripts in the pubic domain?

I guess I could put something together. What are you looking to do exactly? Just burn data and have it fill up disks intelligently without splitting files? Or are you looking to burn specific sets you have organized already?

FWIW, I am just doing some bash scripting via a cygwin environment and burning with cdrecord.

-pd
post #195 of 1657 Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I guess I could put something together. What are you looking to do exactly? Just burn data and have it fill up disks intelligently without splitting files? Or are you looking to burn specific sets you have organized already?

FWIW, I am just doing some bash scripting via a cygwin environment and burning with cdrecord.

-pd

Thanks for answering the question.

I would like to point to one or more folders (content exceeding 4.7GB), determine how many blank DVD-/+R disks it will need to perform the backup, and have the backup program grab blank DVD-/+R disks located in the changer and burn each disk conserving the directory tree and files without user intervention. No need for doing any splitting, just trying to fill up disks intelligently. When the multidisk burn is complete, the users only needs to come along and eject the burnt disks and names them accordingly.

Because I've been ripping my DVDs and placing them on the media center PC, I've started growing concerned of the amount of data that not backed up. The thought of sitting in front of the computer backing up one DVD-/+R disk at a time seems daunting. I suppose I could re-rip the DVDs if I have a HD crash, but, that itself would cause much pain.
post #196 of 1657 Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:

-pd

pd, have you tried bacula yet? if so, what do you think of it? i haven't read thru all of the docs but it seems like it could be useful to you and/or growler13.

it's multi-platform and is supposed to have built-in scripts for controlling a backup device via mtx. to be honest, it looks big and complicated. then again, i have no experience with sophisticated backup tools like bacula so maybe it's just typical. they say it's supported by windows but i'm sure one's mileage will vary. here's a link to the homepage:
http://www.bacula.org/

-kevin
post #197 of 1657 Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Anybody have success running this on VISTA and EAC? I would like to rip and encode as 2 distinct processes???
Thanks
post #198 of 1657 Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM

I just picked up one of these systems and have an extra 200 CD/DVD changer that is brand new in the box. I am looking to get $200 for it. Post a reply and I will send you a note.
post #199 of 1657 Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 PM

I am new to the forum so forgive my basic questions. I just set my system up last week. I loaded 180 cds and ripped them to my hard drive in Windows lossless format thinking that would be the best audio quality to play through my audio system. I would like to use them on an Ipod as well, but the files are large. Does this make sense? Any suggestions.
Thanks.
post #200 of 1657 Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM

I'm not very familiar with all of Window's audio formats but you must be referring to lossless WMA. Lossless formats have very low compression rates compared to lossy formats like mp3. I have used flac (lossless) before. Files encoded with flac are reduced in size by about 40 to 50 percent. Is that what you're seeing with wma?

Here's some info from wikipedia on lossless wma:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...Audio_Lossless

Here's a comparison between audio formats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_codecs

If your ear can tolerate lossy (mine can), mp3s are about 1/10 the original size. Of course, that's just my experience. Your results will vary based on the encoder used, your bitrate, cbr, vbr,etc.
post #201 of 1657 Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 AM

nybushwacker,

I purchased a 200DVD/CD changer too. Did you batch rip your disks or rip them one at a time? What OS and rip utility did you use? Can you view them in Media Center? How did you specify rip to wma? Thanks

WilliamH
post #202 of 1657 Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 AM

I batch ripped them using the My Changer function in Windows Media Center. I selected the format in Windows Media Player before ripping.
post #203 of 1657 Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 AM

Thanks for all of the info. You are right, I was refering to the WMA. I am going to check out the links you gave me tonight.
post #204 of 1657 Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 AM

Can I batch rip with Windows Visa Business? If yes, using what software?
post #205 of 1657 Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 AM

I just ordered one from JR (don't have 5 posts for url) for cheap, go check it out. All I did was enter VGP-XL1B2 into google's froogle feature, and found it cheap there.
post #206 of 1657 Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 PM

Hi all,

I have an xl1b and am trying desperately to get it to work (for auto-ripping CD's) in Vista.

I'm using the Release Vista Ultimate Edition.

The XL1 is connected and recognized by the system.

I can go into Media Centre and go to the TV & DVD section, and choose manage discs...and it will list the discs in the jukebox.

I can select an individual disc and then copy it...

But nowhere, nowhere can I find an option to actually batch rip all the CD's in the jukebox.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.
post #207 of 1657 Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 AM

skavan - is there a setting to auto eject the cd when ripping is complete in MediaPlayer - curious if this has an impact? Also, I'm interetsed if you could get dbPowerAmp to work? Let me know how you make out with this.
Thanks
post #208 of 1657 Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

Batch DVD ripping might have just taken a step forward with the beta release of MCEtilities. No true batch (set-it-and-forget-it) support yet, but the software can control the XL1B2 and interface with DVD Decrypter. Give it a try!

Chris
post #209 of 1657 Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavan View Post

Hi all,

I have an xl1b and am trying desperately to get it to work (for auto-ripping CD's) in Vista.

I'm using the Release Vista Ultimate Edition.

The XL1 is connected and recognized by the system.

I can go into Media Centre and go to the TV & DVD section, and choose manage discs...and it will list the discs in the jukebox.

I can select an individual disc and then copy it...

But nowhere, nowhere can I find an option to actually batch rip all the CD's in the jukebox.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Hi Skaven,

I have the exact same issues and got on the horn with Sony Support. They stated that they will have a new software release for the My Changer add on to MCE for Vista for a service charge available in ~2 Weeks from 2/23.

I will follow up with them, and if this fixes the problem, I will let you know.
post #210 of 1657 Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM

cool. thx.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page