AutumnWave / OnAir USB HDTV Tuners - Page 13 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which OnAir tuner do you own?
OnAir GT 196 49.37%
OnAir Creator 37 9.32%
Don't own one yet 164 41.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2961 Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rebkell,
Can you go back into that 'Startup and Recovery' settings window and change the 'Write debugging information' to "Kernel memory dump". Then, the next time the BSOD occurs, it will save a dump to: C:\\Windows\\Memory.dmp. You can then upload this file to ftp://ftp.autumnwave.com/incoming/ and let me know via PM or email (tech@autumnwave.com) and I'll inspect it.

replayrob,
Thanks for your detailed response and first impressions of your OnAir tuner! Your suggestions are noted.

stpaulboy,
The current version of the PureVideo decoder is 1.02-177 I believe. On nVidia's website, there is actually an update (1.02-223) specifically for OEM versions, if you'd like. (Since everything seems to be working now, maybe you don't want to risk it!) For the benefit of others, here is the link: nVidia PureVideo Decoder OEM Update Kit

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio
AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2961 Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpaulboy View Post

What version is shipping with new creators and GTs?

My GT came with 1.02-223 on the install CD.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #363 of 2961 Old 10-06-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post

rebkell,
Can you go back into that 'Startup and Recovery' settings window and change the 'Write debugging information' to "Kernel memory dump". Then, the next time the BSOD occurs, it will save a dump to: C:\\Windows\\Memory.dmp. You can then upload this file to ftp://ftp.autumnwave.com/incoming/ and let me know via PM or email (tech@autumnwave.com) and I'll inspect it.

Will do, on the changes.

Quote:

stpaulboy,
The current version of the PureVideo decoder is 1.02-177 I believe. On nVidia's website, there is actually an update (1.02-223) specifically for OEM versions, if you'd like. (Since everything seems to be working now, maybe you don't want to risk it!) For the benefit of others, here is the link: nVidia PureVideo Decoder OEM Update Kit

I was reading the System requirements on the PureVideo decoder, it doesn't list Windows 2K, looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to XP before too long.
post #364 of 2961 Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

rebkell,
That might be a good idea. But just remember that the nVidia PureVideo decoder works with ATI or Intel graphics, but nVidia doesn't mention it on their site. (In other words, if Win 2k isn't listed, it doesn't mean it won't work.) Then again, it could be contributing to crashing issues, but hopefully I'll be able to figure that out from the dump when you send it.

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #365 of 2961 Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Now that Vista 32 and 64bit RC2 (build 5744) has been released, any chance that the USB HDTV-GT drivers are being started on? I will be more than happy to test the 64-bit drivers.
post #366 of 2961 Old 10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 113
More feature requests:
30 second quick skip forward (like ReplayTV & TiVo)
6-8 second quick instant rewind (like ReplayTV & TiVo)
Both can be mapped to the remote softkeys.
Thanks... rr

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #367 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

More feature requests:
Thanks... rr

I second that motion!
post #368 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Firstly I just wanted to thank Replayrob for his review and comments. Ryan I have to agree with him about the manual I hope that this is more detailed and complete when the next software upgrade is released.
I have been using the Creator for just over a week and am very pleased with the performance especially with the local Comcast HD broadcasts. Recorded shows look spectacular on my wide screen monitor and of course an HDTV.
Ryan, is the 99 channel limit on standard broadcasts a hardware or software restriction? There are quite a few channels past the 100 mark (BBC World etc.) I would like to record programs from but so far I have not found a way to do this. If it's hardware does this apply to all tuners regardless who makes them?
Lastly, for now, I think I must have failed the 'OnAir HD Editor' initiative test! I open the file I want to edit, then mark the start and end point and add to clip list. I then save it but as soon as the file size reaches 256KB it stops saving any more. I choose 'user input' on file size, which for this program (My Name Is Earl) is 3674MB but as soon as it reaches approximately 6% the file stops saving. There is at least 20GB free space on the hard drive. I hope you can give some advice on this software or even a small manual in the future.
Thanks, Tony.
post #369 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The editor will do that if it can't see your tuner on the USB port. So either something is wrong with the tuner or the drivers.
post #370 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeasel View Post

Firstly I just wanted to thank Replayrob for his review and comments. Ryan I have to agree with him about the manual I hope that this is more detailed and complete when the next software upgrade is released.
I have been using the Creator for just over a week and am very pleased with the performance especially with the local Comcast HD broadcasts. Recorded shows look spectacular on my wide screen monitor and of course an HDTV.
Ryan, is the 99 channel limit on standard broadcasts a hardware or software restriction? There are quite a few channels past the 100 mark (BBC World etc.) I would like to record programs from but so far I have not found a way to do this. If it's hardware does this apply to all tuners regardless who makes them?
Lastly, for now, I think I must have failed the 'OnAir HD Editor' initiative test! I open the file I want to edit, then mark the start and end point and add to clip list. I then save it but as soon as the file size reaches 256KB it stops saving any more. I choose 'user input' on file size, which for this program (My Name Is Earl) is 3674MB but as soon as it reaches approximately 6% the file stops saving. There is at least 20GB free space on the hard drive. I hope you can give some advice on this software or even a small manual in the future.
Thanks, Tony.

Mine scans up to 135 on the analog channels, are you sure those aren't digital signals, on our comcast the regular analog stops at 99, we have channels 101, 102, 103, etc and on up, but they are only available on digital subscriptions. You can also bring up the channel manager and click on Add CH and you can plug in any number you want, you can check untill receive and it will try to find it, but if it's available it should show up instantly.

I do all my editing of the trp files with HDTV2MPEG, it works great, and will do a pretty decent job of finding the commercials on it's own, it's got some pretty neat features and you can cut out commercials easily with it. It doesn't touch the original, so you can play around with it until you get the hang of it. I tried the OnAir editor, but after using HDTV2MPEG I had what I needed. It's listed in the unsupported programs in the FAQ on the OnAir site.
post #371 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

The editor will do that if it can't see your tuner on the USB port. So either something is wrong with the tuner or the drivers.

Thanks for solving my problem Mac, I was using the Creator with another computer while trying to edit this recording. As you rightly say, connected there is no problem.
post #372 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Mine scans up to 135 on the analog channels, are you sure those aren't digital signals, on our comcast the regular analog stops at 99, we have channels 101, 102, 103, etc and on up, but they are only available on digital subscriptions. You can also bring up the channel manager and click on Add CH and you can plug in any number you want, you can check untill receive and it will try to find it, but if it's available it should show up instantly.

I do all my editing of the trp files with ,HDTV2MPEG it works great, and will do a pretty decent job of finding the commercials on it's own, it's got some pretty neat features and you can cut out commercials easily with it. It doesn't touch the original, so you can play around with it until you get the hang of it. I tried the OnAir editor, but after using HDTV2MPEG I had what I needed. It's listed in the unsupported programs in the FAQ on the OnAir site.

Rebkell, I completed another analog channel scan and I reached 99 and then there was nothing until a test card on 134 so maybe this is a local Comcast restriction. If I enter a channel number over 99 it comes up with NO SIGNAL. Does anyone else have this problem?
Many thanks for the info on HDTV2MPEG. Just downloaded and installed the software and will play with it tonight. It sounds just what I am looking for. Thanks again for your help.
post #373 of 2961 Old 10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I have been looking for a second QAM tuner, and I am hopeful that this one might finally fit the bill. I have a few questions (of course).

1) Are the QAM recordings produced by this device playable on the myHD's hardware decoder? Would it be possible to get a short clip for testing purposes?

2) Are multiple Creator/GTs supported in the same PC? I am considering picking up both a GT and a Creator to augment my existing Hauppauge PVR-250 and MyHD-130. Would there be any issues getting all of these working together?

3) My (antiquated but functional) motherboard does not support Wake-on-USB. Will this be an issue? As TPeterson has mentioned, the device is useless if it doesn't wake the PC to start the recording!

4) Can the Creator device record both SD and QAM programming simultaneously?

The support in this thread has been very impressive. Thanks!

Kevin
post #374 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliBean View Post

Now that Vista 32 and 64bit RC2 (build 5744) has been released, any chance that the USB HDTV-GT drivers are being started on? I will be more than happy to test the 64-bit drivers.

ChiliBean,
As with 32-bit Vista, the final drivers most likely won't be available until after RTM of Vista. We typically do not provide drivers for unreleased operating systems, but if we need additional help testing 64-bit drivers, I'll contact you personally.

replayrob, I've noted your new features as well.

Quote:

Ryan, is the 99 channel limit on standard broadcasts a hardware or software restriction?

Squasel,
As others have noted, there isn't a limit at ch99 with the OnAir hardware or software. It is probably due to your cable provider's lineup not extending past 99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avekevin View Post

1) Are the QAM recordings produced by this device playable on the myHD's hardware decoder? Would it be possible to get a short clip for testing purposes?

2) Are multiple Creator/GTs supported in the same PC? I am considering picking up both a GT and a Creator to augment my existing Hauppauge PVR-250 and MyHD-130. Would there be any issues getting all of these working together?

3) My (antiquated but functional) motherboard does not support Wake-on-USB. Will this be an issue? As TPeterson has mentioned, the device is useless if it doesn't wake the PC to start the recording!

4) Can the Creator device record both SD and QAM programming simultaneously?

Kevin (avekevin),
  1. I can't personally verify if a hardware decoder will playback the file. Others in this thread/forum might be able to answer it better. You can find a short clip on AutumnWave.com
  2. While running both on the same machine together is unsupported, I will say that it does work unnofficially in most situations. I can only imagine that there couldd be some difficulty with 3rd party apps that get confused with 4 tuners in the system (Example: Media Center). Your system configuration is quite atypical, but the OnAir tuners should work without issue.
  3. Most (if not all) tuners that request the computer to 'Wake' must have this ability on the motherboard as well. You may find that it works anyway, even if your motherboard does not support it, but I certainly can't guarantee it.
  4. By 'SD and QAM' do you mean 'Analog (NTSC)' and 'Digital (ATSC)'... or do you mean SD Digital TV? (You can't tune NTSC and ATSC simultaneously, if that's what you meant.)

Thanks everyone for their questions and comments. I know I don't say it enough, but we (AutumnWave/OnAir) really do appreciate your feedback and comments in this forum discussion. I hope that this thread helps you as much as it helps us!

- Ryan Pertusio
post #375 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post

[

Kevin (avekevin),
  1. I can't personally verify if a hardware decoder will playback the file. Others in this thread/forum might be able to answer it better. You can find a short clip on AutumnWave.com
  2. While running both on the same machine together is unsupported, I will say that it does work unnofficially in most situations. I can only imagine that there couldd be some difficulty with 3rd party apps that get confused with 4 tuners in the system (Example: Media Center). Your system configuration is quite atypical, but the OnAir tuners should work without issue.

- Ryan Pertusio

Kevin/Ryan

I just tested OnAir Trp files over my network with the MyHD MDP100. It works fine (I tried both Ugly Betty and the Redskins/Giants game - have to delete that one fast) and all the controls work in MyHD. I am sure the MDP-130 would also work but I haven't tested that computer yet

Kevin - Re the second item above - the reason I am playing over the network is that I had problems (see other posts in this thread) with the MyHD MDP-100 and the OnAir Creator in my theater room computer. I am not about to try it out in the computer with my MDP-130. Its working fine in an older, less capable computer I have. If you get one and have success with co-locating a MyHD card and an On Air Creator I would love to get that feedback and then maybe I would try it in the computer with the MDP-130
post #376 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

More feature requests:
Thanks... rr

This is kind of an essential feature for DVR software - but it should be adjustable (30 seconds is too long - a football game needs like 23 seconds to skip between plays). And then just do multiples like MyHD does - maybe use the function keys, for well timed advance and back.

The existing third FF press for skip is just too had to figure out. Seems like it went 15 minutes on me yesterday. Is it set for some percentage of the file, thereby a 3 hour program skip is 6x longer than a 1/2 hour show?

But the smooth FF is real slick for a digital tuner card
post #377 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a windows question, before I got the OnAir Creator, I had ts files associated with Windows Media Player, I want them associated with the OnAir program, well that part was simple, now when I double click a file with an extension of .ts it will open with the OnAir program.

I also want the little icons beside the ts file that associate it with certain programs. It now has just the plain jane file type icon, it used to have the WMP little icon, now it's got just some plain generic icon beside it, how do I get it to display the OnAir icon, like the one that is currently associated with trp files in a file listing in explorer?
post #378 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

This is kind of an essential feature for DVR software - but it should be adjustable (30 seconds is too long - a football game needs like 23 seconds to skip between plays). And then just do multiples like MyHD does - maybe use the function keys, for well timed advance and back.

The existing third FF press for skip is just too had to figure out. Seems like it went 15 minutes on me yesterday. Is it set for some percentage of the file, thereby a 3 hour program skip is 6x longer than a 1/2 hour show?

But the smooth FF is real slick for a digital tuner card

The most essential in my book is some type of skip back feature like TIVO's 7 or 10 second back up, it doesn't have to be precise, I've gotten use to fast forwarding and then as soon as I see the show I hit the flip back, the skip aheads are ok, but to me the skip back is more crucial, and I really think it needs some slow-mo frame advance features, if you're looking to find some specific spot in a show, that's only on for like a split second on the screen, you have to hit the pause button just right in real time and if you miss you have to fast forward back and try again.
post #379 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
j99

How do you deal with the the saved HDTV files? With 6~7GB per hour (good-best quality) of MPEG2 transport stream file, (.trp or .ts), hard drive space will be gone pretty quickly.

I did x264 but with as low as 6M bitrate, the resulting file is still more than half of the size of original ts file. I don't want to lose the quality.

Wonder how you guys do to solve this problem? Buy more hard drive? Or choose to lose quality and use Divx/Xvid/WMV encoding?
post #380 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j99 View Post

How do you deal with the the saved HDTV files? With 6~7GB per hour (good-best quality) of MPEG2 transport stream file, (.trp or .ts), hard drive space will be gone pretty quickly.

I did x264 but with as low as 6M bitrate, the resulting file is still more than half of the size of original ts file. I don't want to lose the quality.

Wonder how you guys do to solve this problem? Buy more hard drive? Or choose to lose quality and use Divx/Xvid/WMV encoding?

I'm fighting this battle right now, the only recourse right now is to split them up and save them off to DVD's, like you, I hate the thought of losing the quality. This isn't too bad of a solution, but it's still not a great solution, I only have one DVD burner, and it's not like you can start a batch job at night and have it copy over the files to DVD.
post #381 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Buy more hard drives. The files are pretty well compressed already. But just save the subchannels you are interested in if there are multiples in one file
post #382 of 2961 Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j99 View Post

I understand your quandry. I started with 250gb of storage and that was quickly consumed before I could watch the recordings. I briefly considered re-encoding and decided against it. My HDTV renders a fantastic picture and I enjoy watching HDTV so the idea of lessend PQ was discarded out of hand. I bit the bullet and sprung for a 400gb Seagate. There seems to be a market glut with these drives now, google '400gb seagate' and I guaranty you'll find one for under 100 bucks.

If you don't want to add another HD on the inside, find a cheap USB enclosure (around 30 bucks) format the drive to NTFS and you're golden for around 130 bucks. I went this route as my primary HD is SATA and the deals on the Seagate are for IDE drives, it can be done but you risk mass foncusion if you mix SATA and IDE internal HDs.

Quote:

More feature requests:
Thanks... rr

Yes, please. A 30 second forward skip and a 15 second backward skip feature that could be assinged to function keys would be most appreciated.

Thanks to Ryan for his attention to questions and problems regarding OnAir products. Your replies have solved more than one problem I've encountered.

/Grey

My other car is a Galaxy class starship...
post #383 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 AM

rpertusio (or anyone who knows): For scrambled digital channels, encoded using CableCard, is there or will there be a way to decode these using OnAir hardware? If so, how would I go about setting up such a thing?

rebkell: I have about 30gb of space I use to record to, and periodically sift through it for clips and shows I want to hang onto. I mostly hang onto clips long-term, as shows would be just too much. I use VirtualDubMod to cut clips I want then export them to DivX right from VirtualDubMod - the compression rates are fantastic. I also sometimes crop the videos, for example to eliminate letter-boxing - but this is just to make the video nice to play, it has basically 0 impact on filesize for a DivX.

I have a one minute clip (57 seconds) I hung onto and it compressed to 16mb. I've yet to play with compression settings but I'm going to guess quality can be turned down a little for SD shows without compromising apparent quality in the end.
post #384 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

rebkell - and others considering storing a large number of ts files:

I have about 20 bare hard drives with transprt stream (trp) files. They are very cheap when you get them on rebate; maybe $50 a drive or so - I never spent more.

I plug them in with a usb IDE dongle/power supply ($25 - I have two) when loading files or watching. Takes about 10 seconds.

I have one big hard drive that is periodically cleared out to the usb if there is something I want to archive or see later.
post #385 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM

Just to clear up everything that has been discussed on this thread about QAM, can you recieve a QAM signal through any of these devices in MCE 2005 update rollup 2. Thank you.
post #386 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SoopahMan,
Unfortunately, there is nothing to legally unscramble the channels (that I know of.)

eml626,
Actually, Media Center 2005 does not support QAM. However, you can install the OnAir HDTV Program, and view the QAM channels there.

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #387 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Well it seems that my local Comcast stop analog transmissions at channel 99 and then go digital, with scrambling I suspect, so you have to use their box to view these channels even if you subscribe....sigh! The problem is I am not sure how true this is as each CSR tells a different story. If there was no scrambling is there any way I could use the Creator for the digital SD channels? Thanks.
post #388 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it seems that my local Comcast stop analog transmissions at channel 99 and then go digital, with scrambling I suspect, so you have to use their box to view these channels even if you subscribe....sigh! The problem is I am not sure how true this is as each CSR tells a different story. If there was no scrambling is there any way I could use the Creator for the digital SD channels? Thanks.

I actually think all the digital channels are received via QAM, unfortunately they are all scrambled, I think the OnAir is the equivalent of a cable set top box, minus the descrambler that the cable boxes have. I think(I'm assuming) that the digital channels are just mapped to the individual QAM channels that come in. Some are not scrambled(aka the Local Network stations and a few others) I found MHD(MTV HD Music station in a scan the other day) I've also found several scrambled QAM channels that are running at a pretty high Mbps rate, so I assume that those are probably the HD premium channels my local Comcast carries.
post #389 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 05:21 PM

I'm having the same 99 channels issue here; I can't help but wonder if it's OnAir-related. I know I have a channel 108 and 134 on Digital; I know that 62 on Digital is Comedy Central and the OnAir sees it as 62 on Analog; but in scanning it ends at 99. It seems odd that Adelphia (the source of my programming even though I pay Time Warner) would also cut off Analog at 99 just like your provider - the common thread here is the OnAir.
post #390 of 2961 Old 10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopahMan View Post

I'm having the same 99 channels issue here; I can't help but wonder if it's OnAir-related. I know I have a channel 108 and 134 on Digital; I know that 62 on Digital is Comedy Central and the OnAir sees it as 62 on Analog; but in scanning it ends at 99. It seems odd that Adelphia (the source of my programming even though I pay Time Warner) would also cut off Analog at 99 just like your provider - the common thread here is the OnAir.

Have you got a cable ready tv? If so, plug in your cable directly and see how many channels you get, see if you get anything past 99, I don't think you will, but it should be a good test, your TV should go on up past 99.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page