AutumnWave / OnAir USB HDTV Tuners - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which OnAir tuner do you own?
OnAir GT 196 49.37%
OnAir Creator 37 9.32%
Don't own one yet 164 41.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2962 Old 09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Along those same lines, is there a "master" color control that changes the default levels on all channels? On two different LCD panels I find all channels have too little brightness and need a similar contrast adjustment. Rather that having to do it over and over for every channel is there a way to make the default level higher (or lower) ?

Thanks,
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2962 Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Liked: 11
It would also be nice to be able to set minimize/maximize as a remote F button--plus it should take almost no time to add to the program. Thanks for the update.
post #183 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM

I have the GT running on my main computer (E6600, ATI1900GT) with the most recent drivers and it runs great. All hd QAM channels play and record perfectly sor far.

I do have an issue with the playback as far as fast forwarding is concerned. The playback jumps ahead in increments instead of smoothly which makes it difficult to stop in time.

Otherwise, it is a great product and I am looking forward to revisions to the software and possible linux drivers so I can finally build my htpc.
post #184 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

nypsn,
Smooth Fast Forwarding is present with the nVidia PureVideo decoder. Did you install the software from the CD?

(You can find the nVidia installer in '\\USBHDTV\\Program\\FilterN\\' on the CD)

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
post #185 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroragb View Post

[...]but, when I drag it to my secondary monitor (720x480 analog TV), the image does not show up anymore

auroragb,
The default setting in the Options is 'Overlay'. You can change to '3D surface' in the options, which better supports dual-monitor displays:
Right-click the TV screen >> Options... >> Dec/Encoder tab >> (x) Video (side selection) >> Video renderer: (x) 3D surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Along those same lines, is there a "master" color control that changes the default levels on all channels?

Dennis (dwynne),
You can do this with the current software. Once you have set the color adjustments, right-click on the slider tab, and "Set current value to all channels of current mode"

See the following image as an example:

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #186 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 03:51 PM

Allright, this may sound like an odd question, but just how stable are the drivers/software for the OnAir GT?

I'm running XP MCE on a two-month-old laptop well above the system requirements, and for some reason I just can't get my DVICO Fusion HDTV to work with QAM. If its the only thing plugged into my system, I can get QAM channels to load, but whenever I plug in my external hard drives or any other usb device, it freezes up. I've gotten more BSOD's than I ever want to remember (literally 20+ per day), and not being able to use my external hard drives ruins my chances at being able to timeshift/record in HD. All this because DVICO's drivers and software are horrible.

Has anyone had similar stability issues with their OnAir GT (or DVICO, for that matter)? I can still return my DVICO, but I'd rather not return it and buy the GT to find the same exact issues. Any help or input would be great! Thank You!
post #187 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM

No stability complaints here. Works well on my laptop and desktop. The OnAir software is updated once or twice a month to add features and fix bugs--with more of the former than the latter, it seems, because the software is stable.
post #188 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ldsguy--

Sounds to me very like your laptop's USB ports are being stressed for power draw. As Ryan has noted, some other brands of USB tuners actually can exceed the USB power-draw specification. So if yours is not "over" engineered you may be bumping into a current limit when you plug in more than one peripheral. You could try a powered hub for the DVICO box and see if that helps you.
post #189 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

ldsguy--

Sounds to me very like your laptop's USB ports are being stressed for power draw. As Ryan has noted, some other brands of USB tuners actually can exceed the USB power-draw specification. So if your's is not "over" engineered you may be bumping into a current limit when you plug in more than one peripheral. You could try a powered hub for the DVICO box and see if that helps you.

Thanks for the recommendation! Actually, believe it or not, the DVICO only works when it's plugged directly into my laptop. Video is slow and choppy when I try using a cheapo 4-port powered USB hub, and I can't get an image at all when I try to use my Belkin 7-port powered hub (even with everything else unplugged from it). It's also just a problem with QAM, digital OTA and analog cable pretty much work fine (even though I only get two channels OTA, and already have analog tuner). I'm sure there's just some whacky driver conflicts going on. I've tried every "plugging" combination (both with and without hubs) of my Hauppauge WinTV PVR2, all three of my external hard drives, and even my printer. The DVICO just doesn't want to play nice with any other USB device.
post #190 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are those certified "USB 2.0" hubs? If not, it's not at all surprising that they don't work. (BTW, Ryan would probably appreciate it if you took your DVICO support questions to a DVICO thread)
post #191 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsguy View Post

Allright, this may sound like an odd question, but just how stable are the drivers/software for the OnAir GT?

I'm running XP MCE on a two-month-old laptop well above the system requirements, and for some reason I just can't get my DVICO Fusion HDTV to work with QAM. If its the only thing plugged into my system, I can get QAM channels to load, but whenever I plug in my external hard drives or any other usb device, it freezes up. I've gotten more BSOD's than I ever want to remember (literally 20+ per day), and not being able to use my external hard drives ruins my chances at being able to timeshift/record in HD. All this because DVICO's drivers and software are horrible.

Has anyone had similar stability issues with their OnAir GT (or DVICO, for that matter)? I can still return my DVICO, but I'd rather not return it and buy the GT to find the same exact issues. Any help or input would be great! Thank You!

So far so good on my OnAir GT. I considered the DVICO device before purchasing the OnAir GT, but was turned off by the negative reports here on AVS regarding the DVICO product's instability and buggy drivers/software. There's no excuse for a mainstream product to BSOD a Windows XP machine these days.
post #192 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Are those certified "USB 2.0" hubs? If not, it's not at all surprising that they don't work. (BTW, Ryan would probably appreciate it if you took your DVICO support questions to a DVICO thread)

Yes, they are. And I never meant for this to turn into a DVICO discussion. I only mentioned it to present my frustrations of what I don't want to encounter with the GT. I apologize, and should have made it more clear in my original post that I am sick of trying to troubleshoot the DVICO tuner and have no intentions of keeping it either way.

Thanks for the input Eric89GXL and paule123!
post #193 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All - thank you for your posts, especially Ryan. FAQs were helpful, as was the getting started guide. Installation and scanning for channels was relatively easy and intuitive. Was an easy decision to try the OnAir vs. the DViCO. Also great to have the comfort of knowing that if for some reason things don't work out, I can return it to the local Walmart and I'm only out $4.95 for shipping.

Quick question: is the antenna/cable connector on the box supposed to be loose? (It is on mine.) It seems like if you're not careful when turning the cable to connect or disconnect, you could turn it too far and snap internal wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 PM

What exactly is loose?

The OnAir uses a coax-to-RCA adapter to connect antennas and cable. The adapter is silver and about an inch long. When I put it in the OnAir and then tighten coaxial cables, the adapter spins easily around the RCA jack in the rear of the OnAir. Is that what you're experiencing? If it is, then just take the adapter out, tighten the cable/antenna to the adapter, and then insert the adapter into the OnAir.
post #195 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
QAM channel scanning question - the OnAir USB GT auto-scan function for digital cable stops at channel 135 - just want to make sure this is correct. Coincidentally ajstan99 and myself are both on Wide Open West in Cleveland and are not picking up any QAM-in-the-clear HD local stations - I'm just getting the Music Choice channels, a PPV barker channel and our local NBC Weather Plus digital subchannel. When I click the "Pay TV" box in the channel list, a bunch of QAM channels appear but they are encrypted and have a (C) next to the channel number.
post #196 of 2962 Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric89GXL View Post

What exactly is loose?

The OnAir uses a coax-to-RCA adapter to connect antennas and cable. The adapter is silver and about an inch long. When I put it in the OnAir and then tighten coaxial cables, the adapter spins easily around the RCA jack in the rear of the OnAir. Is that what you're experiencing? If it is, then just take the adapter out, tighten the cable/antenna to the adapter, and then insert the adapter into the OnAir.

Eric - thanks for the reply. Thought it was a hardwired coax connection like in the back of a TV, not an RCA/Coax adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 2962 Old 09-07-2006, 04:27 AM

Idsguy: I tried the GT on my HP core duo MCE laptop as well as my desktop and it works fine. I have not tried using it through a hub however.

Ryan: Thanks, I will check the cd for the decoder.
post #198 of 2962 Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsguy View Post

I never meant for this to turn into a DVICO discussion. I only mentioned it to present my frustrations of what I don't want to encounter with the GT. I apologize, and should have made it more clear in my original post that I am sick of trying to troubleshoot the DVICO tuner and have no intentions of keeping it either way.

ldsguy,
It's alright with me! I think your experience is quite common, and illustrates the quality of the OnAir HDTV products. I hope that if you do decide to try a GT (or Creator) that you'll have much better results. (If not, we'll be here for your assistance!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric89GXL View Post

Eric89GXL,
I couldn't have said it better myself!
ajstan99,
I have created a new FAQ on this. (You're not the first customer to ask this question!)
While twisting the antenna onto the RF connector, you may worry that you are twisting the internal wiring of the GT. In actuality, there is an RF to RCA-type adapter that moves freely. (See below image)

This design permits you to turn the antenna in nearly every direction to gain the best reception possible with the antenna for the OnAir HDTV GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

QAM channel scanning question - the OnAir USB GT auto-scan function for digital cable stops at channel 135 - just want to make sure this is correct. Coincidentally ajstan99 and myself are both on Wide Open West in Cleveland and are not picking up any QAM-in-the-clear HD local stations - I'm just getting the Music Choice channels, a PPV barker channel and our local NBC Weather Plus digital subchannel. When I click the "Pay TV" box in the channel list, a bunch of QAM channels appear but they are encrypted and have a (C) next to the channel number.

paule123,
I was about to point you to the Cleveland, OH - HDTV thread, but I see you've already posted there! The Digital Cable function should indeed stop at 135 (many tuners stop scanning at 125). Typical cable companies leave their QAM-in-the-clear stations in the 75-110 channel range... but it appears that WOW is operating differently. Unfortunately there is no way to get them unencrypted (without complaining to them.) The "(C)" symbol indicates "Conditional Access" or "CAS", which means you won't be able to receive them without a Set-top box from WOW. Unfortunately you may have to stick with OTA, or connect a Set-top box to the Analog inputs of the GT. (You'd only get Standard Definition, though.)

Thanks everyone for your questions and helpful comments!

FYI: If you're a new visitor, AutumnWave's FAQ is currently located here:
AutumnWave - HDTV Tuners FAQ

- Ryan Pertusio

post #199 of 2962 Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Just saw at copperbox.com that they've dropped the prices on the original "Sasem" USB-HDTV recevier to $199 w/ free shipping. This is the unit that's preferred for broadcasters using TSREADER. Wow, that Sasem unit has really lead the way for TSREADER, three years strong. Great unit IMHO.

Noticed at autumnwave.com has a new app for it too, really great to see that level of commitment for a product.

Digital Convergence News Blog:
post #200 of 2962 Old 09-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Hey Ryan,

Do it the way my Sony TV does. Enter the channel number, a "." and the sub channel number. If the unit has done a scan and found a logical channel that is mapped to that channel, it tunes to that channel. If it has not found a logical channel at that channel number, it takes it as a physical address and tunes it.

For example, I can tune KPIX by entering 5.1 (its logical address) or 79.1 (its physical address). Using this approach allows the direct entry of addresses even if a scan has not been run. And an added bonus is that the TV then remembers that channel for later recall.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post

abb,
taz291819,
Tuning an Analog channel 'manually' isn't a hard feat to accomplish. However, for digital channels, it becomes a bit tricky. As you are probably aware, Digital Channels have both a Physical and Virtual channel. (For example... Physical channel 33 may have virtual channesl 23-1, 23-2, 3-1)

This is where things can get tricky. If you try to tune by physical channel (if you type in 33)... our software won't know which of the 3 subchannels you want. If you try to tune by virtual channel (3-1), our software has no way of identifying which Physical channel it is associated with.

If you have a specific example or idea of how tuning a digital channel might work, I'd be happy to pass it along to our software engineers.

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #201 of 2962 Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM

I got the GT. If you remember, one of the things I wanted to look at was CPU utilization. On my P4-2.4ghz w/ Nvidia 6800 and the OnAir viewer set to hardware decoding and Overlay, I get processor utilization in the 40-50% range. The most efficient setting I can get from BeyondTV4.4 is 80-90%. The only way to get the Hardware decoding set to -on- in BTV4 is to turn on 3d instead of Overlay.

With both the OnAir viewer and BTV, when I have 3d rendering turned on instead overlay, I get a superior picture but processor utilization reaches 100% for extended periods, so I get stuttering. I would be interested to hear an explanation from anyone as to why 3d rendering takes so much more processing than overlay. BTW, I am viewing this at 1080p. I am guessing it's better because the 3d rendering is actually improving the picture beyond source-quality in the same way ffdshow might. But I tried turning off those nvidia enhancements and still had an overloaded processor.

When I am not viewing HD content, my processor can ~just barely~ handle 3d rendering. I have to say, I am deeply impressed with how much the picture gets improved by the 3d engine. My first product suggestion is to put in an option to use 3d rendering when the content is not HD. I guess there are some stations that would broadcast their non-HD source-content in HD, upconverting on their end. I guess it wouldn't be any easier for a processor to handle that vs. True HD-source-broadcasts. Alternatively, if we could configure per-station preference for using 3d or overlay would help. Some substations always broadcast non-HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post

Often each channel will broadcast different aspect ratios throughout the day. (For instance... 1920x1080 during Primetime, and 720x480 during the evening news.) I would like some feedback from other members here to see if this is a must have feature.

Ryan, In this quote you were referring to a suggestion for station-specific ration selection, but I think it's relevant here, too. I'd like to second this suggestion for improving ratios, but maybe refine it a little bit. It seems that the OnAir viewer is automatically stretching everything (without preserving aspect ratio) to fit the fullscreen view. The stuff that's still showing left-and-right horiz bars I think has been upscaled by the broadcaster. Is there a way to disable that so that it displays the original size... or better yet zooms to fill vertical but preserves aspect ratio? That might eliminate the concern about per-channel ratios. It would for me.

If not... relating to per-channel settings, for me, I'd be referring to per-subchannel settings. Your statement about the different broadcast formats isn't true for the subchannels; not in my area, anyway. The subchannels are almost never broadcasting anything in high-def. My local Fox affiliate broadcasts TheTube (music videos) in like 320x240. So automatic zoom to fill the vertical would be perfect for that. And if I could run *that* through the 3d renderer instead of overlay, it would look great and my processor could handle it.

By the way, I bought the VBOX USB tuner first, but wasn't happy with BTV's processor utilization and some other things related to how BTV hogs my system. So I decided (between DVICO and OnAir) to go with OnAir GT after re-reading this thread to see how few people were having troubles and how responsive Ryan is to inquiries, help requests, and suggestions.
post #202 of 2962 Old 09-09-2006, 03:54 AM

I'm seriously considering purchasing the GT after reading this thread. There seems to be a great number of happy people who are using the GT and the tech support looks to be fantastic.

I have one question before taking the plunge; will the GT support a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX video card? The specs list nothing above the 6800 series as being supported.

Thanks,
GreyWolf
post #203 of 2962 Old 09-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Wolf, check to see that your video card supports DXVA. If so you'll have very good performance with the GT without needing a superfast P4 system.

If it doesn't support dxva, i'd strongly recommend getting a card that does. Otherwise, you'll neeed a really fast cpu+memory for acceptable results.

Digital Convergence News Blog:
post #204 of 2962 Old 09-09-2006, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gfbuchanan,
Thanks for your suggestions & input!

mb011b,
I'd first make sure that you have the latest/greatest video card drivers from nVidia. The 3D Surface vs. Overlay is what is passed to the video card to handle. (So, the performance is beyond the control of the OnAir software, and is largely dependant on the video card and its drivers.)

I know the OnAir HDTV Program, in our testing, has resulted in much better performance than BeyondTV. This is something I'd bring up with SnapStream and see what their explantion is as far as processor utilization. Their application is very resource hungry, and have different system requirements than using our built-in OnAir Program.

GeyWolf,
As Prince Vlad indicated, your card should be DxVA capable. It appears that the GeForce 7800 GTX does indeed support DxVA. You should also ensure that your system meets our other System Requirements for the GT (found on our website).

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #205 of 2962 Old 09-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Im thinking of getting the GT ,just a couple of questions-
1.will P III 800 With FX 5500 256 PCI vidio work OK? (REG PCI-NOT PCI-E) If not whats a good cheep E-Bay PCI card that will ? Nvida better than ATI ?
2.Should I maybe upgrade prossor ? (I can go to 1 gig I think.) I've read here about some people using 40-60% of P-4
THANKS FOR THE HELP ! LOVE THIS SIGHT !!!
post #206 of 2962 Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ryan,
I was using the OnAir software in the file player mode to playback video from a Sony HD camcorder. The video seems smoother than other software I have tried but I can not get any sound. The audio is MPEG2 not AC3. Is this a set up issue or just not supported in the present software? If so it would be a useful feature.
John
post #207 of 2962 Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PLATT, Your FX 5500 should be okay. It's the Processor that I'd worry about if anything. Your Pentium III at 800mhz is the lower limit of system requirements. I'm not out to take all your money... but a processor upgrade could help. (Why not give the GT a try with your current system, and upgrade the CPU only if necessary?)

You can also get a feel for how your system handles HDTV content by visiting AutumnWave.com and download the following items:
  • OnAir HDTV Program (found in GT or Creator section)
  • HD Editor
  • Sample HDTV clip
Once installed, open the sample HDTV clip in the HD Editor, and ensure DxVA is enabled. You'll roughly see performance of HD on your system.

john (ctdish),
Could you send me a small 5-10 second clip, and I'll see if I can figure something out for you. (No guarantee I'll get it working though, as it is '3rd party' stuff.)

Thanks,
- Ryan Pertusio

post #208 of 2962 Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM

THANKS ALOT RYAN,
I HAVENT GOT THE SYSTEM UP & RUNNING YET , BUT I'M GONNA TAKE THE PLUNGE.
It's a Dell gx 115 with only pci graphics.I havent even bought the grph card yet,but after some reserch i found an Ati 1300 on the reg pci bus for CHEAP, this week only, at comp usa. All you guys looking to build A HTPC and only have PCI should check it out ! Looks like A nice card.
Also,does anyone hve this card ? Should I start A new thread ? Will it work with the GT ?
post #209 of 2962 Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THE PLATT,
I was unaware that ATI made a PCI version of the X1300. You can post (or private message) me a link and I'll check it out. The PCI-E version does have DxVA support, and I wouldn't expect that the 'PCI' version would have any problems with the OnAir GT... but I'd like to take a look at the specs first.

- Ryan Pertusio

post #210 of 2962 Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PLATT View Post

...i found an Ati 1300 on the reg pci bus for CHEAP, this week only, at comp usa. All you guys looking to build A HTPC and only have PCI should check it out ! Looks like A nice card.
Also,does anyone hve this card ? ...Will it work with the GT ?

I have a X1300 AGP with OnAir HDTV creator and it works great. Check out my earlier post with comments on CPU usage, etc.

If your gx115 PIII-800 can't keep up with the video then you might consider upgrading to a Tualatin CPU. Googling suggests that the gx115 would support it but check with Dell using your motherboard serial number. I have a similar system, Asus CUSL-2 with 1.4GHz Celeron and PPGA-Tualatin socket adapter. It's extremely stable and the Tualatin is cool running (passive Zalman CNPS3100+ heatsink, air drawn through with the 120mm power supply fan). I also have a spare 1.4GHz Celeron & socket adapter that I pulled from a "pizza-box" NLX system that I parted out after being unable to find a stable NLX board. It's hardly used, and I have the retail boxes for the CPU/fan and PPGA adapter. PM me if interested.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page