Core 2 Motherboard Complete List - With Hardware Recommendations for a HD HTPC - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1097 Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
... to post what I'm going to buy in hopes of getting it critiqued, and any problems caught.

My HTPC build is about three years old, so it's time for an upgrade. I want the new build to be somewhat future proof -- I don't have any BD or HD-DVD drives yet, but I'd like to be ready for HD decoding and display when I hopefully buy a combo drive in the near future. My current HTPC is an MSI MS-7025 mobo with an Athlon 64 3800+ and an ATI 9800 Pro video card.

I plan to install Vista Home Premium. I plan to reuse my existing case, 450W power supply, hard drives, and Zalman Reserator water cooling system.

What I plan to buy is as follows:
- Asus P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP (Intel P35 chipset) (I considered an Intel mobo, but decided against it because I might want to experiment with overclocking someday.) (I'm slightly concerned about cooling this mobo. It says it can be fanless but the cooling fins on the heatpipe arrangement look like they're positioned to take advantage of a breeze from a CPU cooler fan. I won't have such a fan, just a water cooling block, so the mobo will have little air movement around it.
- Intel Core Duo E6850 (I considered the Quad Core Q6600 also. It's the same price and does a bit better at video decoding tasks it would seem, but it's 95W vs. the E6850's 65W. I'm not sure how much cooling I can get with my Reserator, so I decided not to push it.)
- 2x 1GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066. The mobo can go up to this speed, Asus says, so I figured why hold back? OTOH, comments earlier in this thread say that 800, or even 667 if not OC'd, is all I need with the E6850 and its 1333 FSB. So maybe I can save some money with DDR2 800 instead of 1066.
- The video card will be an ATI HD2600XT with 512MB of GDDR3. I have tentatively decided on the MSI RX2600XT, which has a fanless heatpipe cooler, but I don't think I need to care what type of cooler the card has because I'm going to be taking it off and adding the GPU water cooling block from my Reserator system. So maybe I should choose a different video card? Not sure. Should I get GDDR4 instead of GDDR3?

Any criticism or advice is welcome. (BTW I do absolutely no computer gaming.)

See my antique radio collection at Radiophile.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1097 Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 358
BenSanford

Your next system is close to the high-end system in the next Hardware Leaderboard (I will post it soon), but mb is GA-P35-DS4 (I prefer GIGABYTE's fexible eSATA ports and PCI Express Gb LAN; but don't like the somewhat useless PCI Express x4 slot).

To use an eSATA port of IP35 Pro internally, you have to use a SATA to eSATA cable like this one (and remove an empty PCI bracket of the case to route it; kind of ugly in my eyes). Connecting the boot drive to JMB363 is OK for an IDE drive (choose 'cable select') but I don't know about SATA. I am interested in this case and I will try it this weekend.
post #813 of 1097 Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Radiophile

The ASUS board consumes lots of power (30-40W more than the other P35 mbs) because of 8 phase power (useful for extreme overclocking) and has strange SATA problems.

The memory speed matching FSB 1333 processors is DDR2-667 (unless you oc). In general DDR2-800 is good enough for mild oc.

I guess the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR4 shows mostly in 3D applications.
post #814 of 1097 Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

To use an eSATA port of IP35 Pro internally, you have to use a SATA to eSATA cable like this one (and remove an empty PCI bracket of the case to route it; kind of ugly in my eyes). Connecting the boot drive to JMB363 is OK for an IDE drive (choose 'cable select') but I don't know about SATA. I am interested in this case and I will try it this weekend.

I'll be interested in your results. I don't want to use the cable kluge approach unless it allows one of those drives to be bootable. Maybe the better approach will be to use an IDE (is that the same as ATA-133?) drive as the system drive, and just use one less SATA drive in the array.
post #815 of 1097 Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

IDE is conventionally a synonym of ATA-133. I meant PATA (Parallel ATA) drive by 'IDE drive' vs. SATA drive. (SATA HDD is also IDE, Integrated Drive Electronics).
post #816 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:

(I prefer GIGABYTE's fexible eSATA ports and PCI Express Gb LAN; but don't like the somewhat useless PCI Express x4 slot).

After reading through more Gigabyte reviews and pictures I now understand the flexibility offered with the Gigabyte eSATA approach. (Most of the reviews focused on the GB Lan issue on the ABit, and weren't as clear on the different eSATA approachs taken by Givabyte vs. Abit.) I also like how Gigabyte had a bracket that brought a Molex power connector to the rear on the eSATA expansion slot cover plate. I would have used that to bring power outside to run a fan to help circulate air within my cabinet when the HTPC was powered up.

Now I somewhat wish I had bought the Gigabyte board over the Abit, but now think I'll just use an ATA drive for the system drive, one internal SATA for the DVD, and the remaining internal SATA's for RAID. And then for my next build in a couple of months... (a smaller low heat unit for TV room) Gigabyte G35 MB, E8400 45nm processor, & only one HD - otherwise networked to the Abit)

-Ben
post #817 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:

The ASUS board consumes lots of power (30-40W more than the other P35 mbs)

Thanks renethx. The extra power is a definite turnoff for me, so I've scratched this board off my list. I'm off to search for alternatives now. (And I'm open to any suggestions for an excellent board to go with my planned E6850 CPU. )

post #818 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I've been debating going unRAID or Windows Home Server to house all my files (1 PC, 1 HTPC, 3 Xbox 360's) and it looks like WHS is going to be the winner for me. I had thought about using some parts I had around here, but after doing some research, I'd probably be better off building this from scratch since it is housing my files and want it to be stable. I'm looking at the following setup for it...

CODEGEN 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811182566

I wanted to go with a rackmount case and figured this was the right fit. I really don't need a backplane, but if I choose to do so, I can put one in this case.

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813128053

This looks like a solid motherboard, and I believe recommended in this thread! It has enough SATA ports for me, and if I want to expand I can. On-board video a must for setup. After WHS setup, it's not going to have anything in it.

SeaSonic M12 SS-500HM ATX12V / EPS12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817151029

I love how quiet the SeaSonic PSU's are. I wanted to go modular this time (instead of the S12) to free up some room in the case and let that 120mm fan do it's job.

Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E2160 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819116036

This is probably the biggest debate here. I could go with a Celeron or Pentium D for this, but figured a little more wouldn't hurt and the dual core would be a nice fit. If it's overkill, or underkill!, let me know!

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231098

This WAS a debate until I saw the price. I was planning on 1GB of memory...until I saw this going for $65! Seems like solid memory from the reviews.

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835118223

Fantastic fan. Very quiet and provides good air flow in the case. It should be fine in the 4u case I picked out.

Comes out to $500 and some change.

I have 5 300GB Seagate hard drives that I'll be putting into this. I even thought about getting 2 Samsung 500GB drives for it as they are $100 a pop. I also have 2 Western Digital myBooks that I can hook up to it as well. I also have a spare DVD drive to slap in there for setup.

The other motherboard I was debating is this...

ASUS P5B-VM DO LGA 775 Intel Q965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131085

Any thoughts, recommendations, changes you would make to the setup? Am I missing anything? I'm ready to pull the trigger now that WHS is available.

Thanks for your help!
post #819 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:

BenSanford

Your next system is close to the high-end system in the next Hardware Leaderboard "(I will post it soon)", but mb is GA-P35-DS4 (I prefer GIGABYTE's fexible eSATA ports and PCI Express Gb LAN; but don't like the somewhat useless PCI Express x4 slot).

renethx,

So glad to know you're going to update YOUR picks after a good long six months of expecting (just hesitate to rush you) since April. Personally I am particaularly interested in your Low and Middle end configurations.

Expectingly yours, peter

PS, Because of an ELECTROCUTION caused by typhoon (West Pacific hurricane), my HTPC just died earlier today. So maybe I shoud say "Urgently yours".
post #820 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Chris Rein

There is not much to say about your system. But if you want to save some money,

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W (-$30; qualtiy is very good, not modular or sleeved though)
CPU: E2140 (-$10; as good as E2160 if oc'ed)
Memory: DDR2-667, 2 x 512MB (-$28; 1GB in total is enough for WHS)
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler (-$49; you don't need the fancy LED in the rackmount case, do you?)
Total saving: -$117

Other Thoughts (please neglect!)

The rackmount accepts up to 12 HDDs and the mb has 8 SATA ports (an IDE port can be converted to 2 SATA ports with an adapter). If you need more SATA ports, buy

PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card

that has 4 SATA ports.

Even if you use 12 500GB HDDs, the effective storage space is only 3TB (yeah, a server with WHS will be expensive if you need lots of storage space). Depending on your usage, this may not be enough. Then port multiplier is a good method to increase storage space. (ICH9R supports port multiplier, but there is a driver problem.) There are several eSATA port multiplier enclosures. For example

CFI 4-Bay eSATA Port Multiplier RAID Enclosure (4 HDDs; ~$200)
Norco DS-1220 (12 HDDs; ~$800)

Port multiplier cases are a bit expensive. Maybe you could start with a larger case such as Cooler Master Stacker (16 HDDs; ~$150), or LIAN LI PC-V2100B Plus II (20 HDDs; ~$330) to save money in future expansion.
post #821 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Chris Rein

There is not much to say about your system. But if you want to save some money,

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W (-$30; qualtiy is very good, not modular or sleeved though)
CPU: E2140 (-$10; as good as E2160 if oc'ed)
Memory: DDR2-667, 2 x 512MB (-$28; 1GB in total is enough for WHS)
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler (-$49; you don't need the fancy LED in the rackmount case, do you?)
Total saving: -$117

Other Thoughts (please neglect!)

The rackmount accepts up to 12 HDDs and the mb has 8 SATA ports (an IDE port can be converted to 2 SATA ports with an adapter). If you need more SATA ports, buy

PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II Controller Card

that has 4 SATA ports. Even if you use 12 500GB HDDs, the effective storage space is 3TB. Depending on your usage, this may not be enough. Then port multiplier is a good method to increase storage space. (ICH9R supports port multiplier, but there is a driver problem.) There are several eSATA port multiplier enclosures. For example

CFI 4-Bay eSATA Port Multiplier RAID Enclosure (4 HDDs; ~$200)
Norco DS-1220 (12 HDDs; ~$800)

Port multiplier cases are a bit expensive. Maybe you could start with a larger case such as Cooler Master Stacker (16 HDDs; ~$150), or LIAN LI PC-V2100B Plus II (20 HDDs; ~$330) to save money in future expansion.

Thanks for the quick reply! I take it by saying, "There is not much to say about your system." that there no major issues (other than suggestions to save some cash above, which I appreciate!)?

I actually have a Cooler Master Stacker, which I love, but I have some empty space in my Middle Atlantic rack that I want to utilize, so thus the rackmount case. I think this has been my toughest decision! It saves the footprint in the media closet.

Since this is a server, I guess the stock cooler is okay by what you are saying, right? If that's the case, then I'll just go with that and save the $50. I guess if I went with the Antec, I could get their Antec rackmount case and go with that, however, I saw that the cables are a tad short. Ugh!

And one more thing, which motherboard did you find to be the better one? Gigabyte or the Asus? I'll look into the cheaper memory options as well.

Thanks a ton for your feedback! Very helpful!
post #822 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

And one more thing, which motherboard did you find to be the better one? Gigabyte or the Asus? I'll look into the cheaper memory options as well.

The ASUS mb has one more internal SATA port and an eSATA port in the back panel. If that doesn't matter, choose GIGABYTE.

How about

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004?
post #823 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophile View Post

Thanks renethx. The extra power is a definite turnoff for me, so I've scratched this board off my list. I'm off to search for alternatives now.

I will downgrade my memory to the more-than-speedy-enough DDR2 800. As far as the motherboard, I've narrowed it down to two possibilites, both nicely cheaper than the Asus I was originally considering:

- Abit IP35-E
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Both seem equivalent to me, and have the ports I need. Any reason to choose one over the other?

post #824 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 03:51 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

How is this motherboard? I am upgrading my PC and although I won't be using it for a HTPC per se, I like to have the ability to do so if I want. I'm upgrading from an AMD64 3000+ CPU system to the below motherboard with perhaps an Energy Efficient AM2 5200+ CPU. How is this motherboard?

MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital
post #825 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Radiophile

Either board is good. GA-P35-DS3L has extras: coaxial S/PDIF, LPT, COM ports in the rear panel and an internal S/PDIF header; 6 USB ports in the rear panel in rev. 2.0.

cpc

A nice board!
post #826 of 1097 Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Radiophile

Either board is good. GA-P35-DS3L has extras: coaxial S/PDIF, LPT, COM ports in the rear panel and an internal S/PDIF header; 6 USB ports in the rear panel in rev. 2.0.

cpc

A nice board!

Actually thinking now of either of the EE X2 3800+ AM2 CPU or the BE2350. Low wattage...or maybe go for a 5200+ EE
post #827 of 1097 Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Radiophile
The ASUS board consumes lots of power (30-40W more than the other P35 mbs) because of 8 phase power (useful for extreme overclocking) and has strange SATA problems.

Howdy renethx,

The ASUS board may consume lots power, but it should not be because of 8-phase power. There is almost certainly something else causing it. Larger phase power should actually improve efficiency as well as provide a power plane with less ripple (which as you said, is good for overclocking).

For those that don't know what we're talking about, here's a semi-ok intro.

Have fun,

Marc
post #828 of 1097 Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Either board is good.

OK. I have ordered
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. (I liked the location of its IDE connector better, it gets better reviews on Newegg, it's got a better layout of PCI and PCIe connectors for my needs.)
- Intel Core Duo E6850 CPU.
- MSI RX2600XT. (Nice ATI HD 2600XT-ness, and it's got HDCP if I should ever need it.)
- 2x 1GB DDR2 800 from OCZ. (Good rebate and shiny chrome heat spreaders.)

If I'm lucky this stuff will arrive in time for me to build it this weekend. If I'm even more lucky, it'll POST and I can continue from there.

post #829 of 1097 Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AVS search is timing out.

What MOB allows for 7.1 DTS-MA/HD ANALOG audio out?

Thanks.
post #830 of 1097 Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

GIGABYTE P35/G33 mbs. ALC889A codec:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2626

The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.
post #831 of 1097 Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd like to relate my very positive (and painless) experience upgrading an old P4PE/P4 system using an ASRock 4CoreDual - Sata2 /E2140 setup

First some background:
As I was nearly done building my new HTPC (a DS3P/OCed E2180/Gigabyte8600 system running Vista Home Premium and otherwise similar to Spcr's 'system 1'), my old rig (Asus P4PE/P4 at 2.66G/Saphire9600 running XP SP2 Pro) died on me.

After spending most of the weekend trying to recover the data (top tip: stay away from 'dynamic' disks ), I decided to try ASRock's low cost offering to recycle the old machine with a cheap and cheerful processor.

I just swapped the motherboard, put in place the processor and bundled fan, and plugged everything back. To my surprise the sytem booted right away, and after installing the chipset drivers, and reactivating XP automatically, I got everything (TT, AccessDTV, SCSI card, Maudio 410, Meedio, Girder, etc) working as before in less than an hour (including time for some mild overclocking by setting the FSB to 266MHz)!

It's not as quite as fast as my new and super quiet system, but it is a very significant improvement over the old one, and given the effort put into this system, was a very cost effective upgrade. I'm sure there is more to gain by reinstalling everything and by some further overclocking, but I'm impressed by how easy the whole thing has been.

The pros of this upgrade are:
* Low cost (only need a CPU and Motherboard)
* Significant performance improvement in terms of speed, heat, etc.
* Support of legacy components (4 PATA connectors, serial, parallel, PS/2, 4PCIs, memory -dual channel or not-)
* Room for later upgrades (PCIe, DDR2)

The drawbacks are:
* Only 2 memory slots
* No Firewire (but Firewire PCI cards are cheap)
* Only two SATA2 ports
* Limited overclocking (it seems that the FSB is limited to around 300MHz)

My only regret is to have waited so long to do this!

Eiffel
post #832 of 1097 Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

I'd like to relate my very positive (and painless) experience upgrading an old P4PE/P4 system using an ASRock 4CoreDual - Sata2 /E2140 setup

I got everything (TT, AccessDTV, SCSI card, Maudio 410, Meedio, Girder, etc) working as before in less than an hour (including time for some mild overclocking by setting the FSB to 333MHz)!

The drawbacks are:
* Limited overclocking (it seems that the FSB is limited to around 300MHz)

A little confused here: if the Asrock is limited to FSB=300MHz, how did you manage mild overclocking of FSB=333MHz?

Those Asrock boards are great if you don't need to overclock much: my 775dual-VSTA is fantastic.
post #833 of 1097 Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

A little confused here: if the Asrock is limited to FSB=300MHz, how did you manage mild overclocking of FSB=333MHz?

IanD, in my enthusiasm, I typed 333 when I meant 266...

I haven't tried any other value yet, and may stay at this standard value
post #834 of 1097 Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good news for fans of Speedfan. The new Beta patches v4.33 to correctly report Intel C2D temps.
post #835 of 1097 Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM

FYI, you can currently get a fanless XFX PVT86SWAHG GeForce 8400 GS 256MB for under 20 smackers after Google checkout deals and rebates...

-John
post #836 of 1097 Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM

I got one of those 8400 also but was wondering now if it came with the HDTV dongle in the packaging I could not find it in the description anywhere. BTW It was sold out yesterday but back up again today so if sold out now check back early tomorrow again.
post #837 of 1097 Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
XFX is very good about sending you a dongle if you ask.
post #838 of 1097 Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Looking forward to the revision with 31/33/35 etc. etc.

Request:

A lot of these "HTPC" articles assume that the PC is going to be doing a lot of things, and may even be the main PC of the user (a few posts have stated so, too).

However, in my case, I tend to have PCs that do specialized tasks - I have several laptops around the house for easy internet access (old Thinkpads ~$150 each), and a separate file server on the router (old Dell GX1 ~$70). I have a Dish HD-DVR, so I don't need DVR capability in the HTPC.

So, what I need is really an "HD-PC" - a PC that will play 1080p content (H264,VC-1,MPEG2) and just do that. In fact, while it is doing that, it cannot be doing anything else (e.g. one doesn't want a New Mail notification right in the middle of a dramatic scene of a movie), so better to leave all the other tasks to other PCs.

I think that a number of people out there also have 3-8 year old PCs that are doing all their other tasks just fine, and they might want to add an "HD-PC" rather than replace their current PC.

So, please add an "HD-PC" recommendation - I'm thinking an Antec NSK2480 case/ps is still the best choice for a smaller HT system... thanks !
post #839 of 1097 Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

IanD, in my enthusiasm, I typed 333 when I meant 266...

I haven't tried any other value yet, and may stay at this standard value

With the Asrock 775dual-VSTA I found FSB=266 to be completely stable with an E4300, but an E4500 throws a Machine Exception Error at anything above FSB=256: go figure.

Unfortunately the E2xyz series weren't available when I purchased the E4x00 CPUs and maybe they work better in that mobo.

For the Asrock mobos based on the VIA chipset, I think maximum overclock is FSB=300MHz, but I haven't wanted to push it because anecdotal evidence suggest exactly 300MHz was not achievable.

I'm happier with a "standard" overclock of FSB=266 as that is what the E6xyz series run at, but I might have to do a BSEL mod if I want to push the E4500 to exactly 266MHz.
post #840 of 1097 Old 10-13-2007, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A_Dude

CPU & Mb: E4400 & ASUS P5K-VM or E6750 & GIGABTYTE GA-G33M-DS2R
Memory: DDR2-800 2 x 1GB
Video Card: GeForce 8600 GT
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List