post #361 of 971 Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Good suggestion Jim. I suggest that a new thread be created to talk about bit-exact, vs., not and we can keep this one focused on the features of Vista. I think new readers will just dismiss the thread if we keep it going this way.

Thanks.

you're welcome

Now, can you think about my questions ???

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 971 Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of you are in the dark ages here. Instead of discussing about older 16/44, DTS and Dolby EX, how will Vista handle the new Dolby True HD and DTS Master formats? Will it allow the computer with a semi-pro sound card to do internal decoding of these off of the Bluray and HDDVD drives at their full bit rates without downsampling first, or allow them to be passed untouched through HDMI 1.3 interface to an external pre-pro?
As far as DSP is concerned, will Vista allow room correction and possibly speaker crossover correction of each individual speaker in a 7.1 or so configuration or is it only a summing correction for the entire room?
This is where MSFT has to go if it wants to get ahead of the high end processors, such as Tomlinson Holman's Audyssey system.

Bill
post #363 of 971 Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2 View Post

This is where MSFT has to go if it wants to get ahead of the high end processors, such as Tomlinson Holman's Audyssey system.

Bill

Ah if Audyssey's MultEQ XT could be part of Vista...

Hugo
post #364 of 971 Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how will Vista handle the new Dolby True HD and DTS Master formats?

vista won't handle anything as it doesn't include decoders for these formats

Quote:

Will it allow the computer with a semi-pro sound card to do internal decoding of these off of the Bluray and HDDVD drives at their full bit rates without downsampling first

I asked the same question but didn't have any answer.
As a matter of fact amir didn't answer any of my lastest questions

sorry for my poor english but I'm french !!!!
post #365 of 971 Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

how will Vista handle the new Dolby True HD and DTS Master formats?

vista won't handle anything as it doesn't include decoders for these formats

What I meant was, will Vista allow these to be decoded from the original bits by whatever software one uses, or do the same thing XP does now by in some way degrading the bits before decoding.
post #366 of 971 Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

what do you mean by before decoding ?
even in xp the bits are left untouched before the decoder or when using spdif passthrough.
Problems might only occur after the decoder when the pcm interleaved flux reaches the dacs through k_mixer

post #367 of 971 Old 10-03-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Understood. Thanks.
post #368 of 971 Old 10-03-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2 View Post

As far as DSP is concerned, will Vista allow room correction and possibly speaker crossover correction of each individual speaker in a 7.1 or so configuration or is it only a summing correction for the entire room?

Of course it corrects on a per speaker basis. Not sure how else you would do it .

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #369 of 971 Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Now, can you think about my questions ???

I took a quick look Jim and couldn't find your question. If you can repeat, I promise to get an answer .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #370 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I quote from Post #352:

"I, for one, would like to see this thread supply more useful info, like when it started, on such things as how well the sound card makers are responding to the challenge of supplying drivers and software to take advantage of this new sound engine.... and what will likely happen to the seemingly now-useless DSP power in my X-FI Elite Pro ??"

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #371 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I took a quick look Jim and couldn't find your question. If you can repeat, I promise to get an answer .

some are very lucky here

post #372 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

As a "kind of" continuation to Jim's question.

Are these changes enough/of the sort that it would be in a SoundCard manufacturers best interest to bring out a new generation/architecture which would take advantage of these features ala the DX10 cards on the video side?

or will it just be a reworking of their drivers with current architecture hardware/

I am going to build/optimize my machine for Vista and of course am waiting for a DX10 card, just wondering if I should wait for the soundcard, or if the current ones are just as good for Vista.

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #373 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

I quote from Post #352:

"I, for one, would like to see this thread supply more useful info, like when it started, on such things as how well the sound card makers are responding to the challenge of supplying drivers and software to take advantage of this new sound engine.... and what will likely happen to the seemingly now-useless DSP power in my X-FI Elite Pro ??"

OK, thanks. I missed it in my read . Sound card vendors are coming along nicely. For integrated sound cards, Realtek, Analog Devices, SigmaTel have already produced Vista compatible drivers. These chips represent 94% of the hardware in the market btw.

On Creative X-FI, my hands are tied as far as providing detailed information. But let me say that my production dual core2 duo machine has the exact same card at home . As to what they will used the DSP for, they can still use it for sound effects as we have not done any in Vista (hall effect, reverb, etc.).

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #374 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vairulez View Post

some are very lucky here

OK, what question did I miss? Please let me know and I will try to answer.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #375 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Question:

Will older AC97 solution (ALC850 and Soundstorm especially) be able to output bit-perfect via spdif? I know I can do it with ALC880 and MCE, but my board only has ALC850. I am hoping Vista will solve my problem.
post #376 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Liked: 15
I'm going to join into the shots for more info/support for people with creative cards and other sound card solutions.

I wont defend creative practices. But you have to remember in every business, you want to be better then the competition or get rid of them. Software companies do this by buying other companies, car companies, everyone. Creative is more visible because they are the last man standing.

Outside of superhi end and very specific sound card solution. What upgrade to sound is there?

Creative helped kill competition, but on-board CRAP sound did more then creative could have ever envisioned.

And it made sound something you had rather then something you listened to.

There are thousands of gamers, M$ realizes this, they have the new game logo program for pc game.

Yet they kill all old' hardware support of sound cards, and force this on-board HD crap.

Lets put this simple. On-board Sound quality is equal to if not worse then almost all on-board video quality.

Does it make sounds? Yes, does the video display a picture? Yes.

Try gaming with either? JUNK.

This week an article that was posted on Anadtech, reported the HORRIBLE eax support from on-board sound (aka reltek anything, ac97 etc)

Outputting false 3d and environmental data, if anything at all.

And while creative uses/forced eax down our throats. Geuss what, it works good to great. Battlefield 2 I can hear where people are coming from, where I am getting shot at from, where things are moving etc.

And Now with Visita all that will be thrown out, I know OpenAI is around, And I know Creative will have to release drivers. But the way M$ made sound now kills all legacy EAX and directsound paths to the cards.

And while my creative Overhyped and overstated there sound card performance There numbers are much closer to the BLOWN up numbers that on board uses. Its night and day.

So the while M$ might say they will require better labels. This move will kill 3d sound more then creative's buyout of aureal. And gaming is going back in time, not into the future.

This room-eq control, is like spraying perfume on a garbage can. It just masks the stink.

So Amir, what can you tell us about gaming, and sound card support in the future? Are we all going to be forced to use realtek solutions?

And I love all you bit for bit guys, you had like 8 pages of comments about it, can we for a while get some questions about OTHER aspects of the sound? Pleeease?
(this question was asked by another user on like page 2, but then hidden by page after page of bit for bit debate)

I want my surround gaming sound.
post #377 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Question:

Will older AC97 solution (ALC850 and Soundstorm especially) be able to output bit-perfect via spdif? I know I can do it with ALC880 and MCE, but my board only has ALC850. I am hoping Vista will solve my problem.

Can we please ban the use of any combination of the words "bit perfect" for the rest of this thread?!?

Now that I got that out of my system... has anyone heard anything about HDMI audio output for PCs? I'm looking forward to the room correction features of Vista but certainly don't want to move to the 8-analog-cables-coming-out-of-my-soundcard-to-my-amp solution. Not only because of the 8 cables but also because I'd rather not use crappy soundcard DACs. Anyone know what is on the horizon, or better yet available now, for both PC and Pre/Pro hardware capable of 7.1 HDMI audio?

Thanks,
Ryan
post #378 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolaus View Post

Can we please ban the use of any combination of the words "bit perfect" for the rest of this thread?!?

Now that I got that out of my system... has anyone heard anything about HDMI audio output for PCs? I'm looking forward to the room correction features of Vista but certainly don't want to move to the 8-analog-cables-coming-out-of-my-soundcard-to-my-amp solution. Not only because of the 8 cables but also because I'd rather not use crappy soundcard DACs. Anyone know what is on the horizon, or better yet available now, for both PC and Pre/Pro hardware capable of 7.1 HDMI audio?

Thanks,
Ryan

This is also what I'm very interested in.

For me personally, what I'm most interested in is getting the best sounding digitial stream I can coming out of my computer to my reciever in the highest resolution least compressed method I can find. Which at the moment seems to be HDMI, USB 2.0 could also work, but no recievers support it.

Mentioned earlier in the thread was that the HD-Audio header has the pins for digital out, I don't know if this is Spdif digital or full 7.1 24b/192khz digital out, but if it's the later then we need to get it piped into an HDMI video card, or possibly ATI or nVidia will be thoughtfull enough to include a full HD-Audio section on their new chipsets.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #379 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Just because others had a long debate about bit-perfect, no one is allowed to ask about bit-perfect? I asked a very important question that no one seems have a definite answer to.

Don't bitch about it if you don't care for it.
post #380 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Just because others had a long debate about bit-perfect, no one is allowed to ask about bit-perfect? I asked a very important question that no one seems have a definite answer to.

Don't bitch about it if you don't care for it.

I think we had decided to have new threads on that. This thread was created to explain the features we have in Vista. Not what is wrong with audio on PCs in general. That is an important topic to discuss to be sure. It is just that we are losing people who may just want to learn about the features that are there.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #381 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

So Amir, what can you tell us about gaming, and sound card support in the future? Are we all going to be forced to use realtek solutions?

I am sorry but my expertise and that of my group is not in that area. If someone wants to create a new thread on audio and gaming, I will see if I can get someone from those groups to comment.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #382 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we had decided to have new threads on that. This thread was created to explain the features we have in Vista. Not what is wrong with audio on PCs in general. That is an important topic to discuss to be sure. It is just that we are losing people who may just want to learn about the features that are there.

and one of the features I am extremely interested about is the ability to pass through 44.1khz and 48khz w/o resampling using AC97. I never stated "anything wrong with audio on PCs in general". That's the member right after me.
post #383 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:

This thread was created to explain the features we have in Vista. Not what is wrong with audio on PCs in general. That is an important topic to discuss to be sure.

You sound like a commercial.

Quote:

I think we had decided to have new threads on that.

Yeah ... "we" ?

In my dictionary a feature doesn't need to be positive.
Everybody who is trying to get real answers from this thread is ignorant.
I'm on the first row. Was. Wrong thread, whatever, at creating a good player and soundcard.
Although all indeed might be in a separate thread, your features are 100% related to the MINORITY of peoples problems. In fact, IMHO your features create the problems with audio PCs in general.

As I said, you changed your signature.
Happy X-FIying.
post #384 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolaus View Post

has anyone heard anything about HDMI audio output for PCs? I'm looking forward to the room correction features of Vista but certainly don't want to move to the 8-analog-cables-coming-out-of-my-soundcard-to-my-amp solution. Not only because of the 8 cables but also because I'd rather not use crappy soundcard DACs. Anyone know what is on the horizon, or better yet available now, for both PC and Pre/Pro hardware capable of 7.1 HDMI audio?

Ryan-

We are working on a product that will let you use a single FireWire (or possibly USB2) connection to your PC. However, our product is an external device that replaces both your soundcard and receiver or pre/pro. BTW, The DACs on most soundcards may not be the best, but even some of the pretty cheap soundcards have DACs that match the quality used in many lower cost A/V receivers. We are planning to use very high quality DACs in our product. We are also thinking about including an HDMI connection, so that we could also interface with other external components. With a product like ours, you'll get the best sound quality if you use our soundcard with their direct connection to our amp modules.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for. I haven't seen any announcements from soundcard manufacturers regarding HDMI outputs, but once we start seeing HDMI on the motherboard, aren't cheap soundcards with digital outputs going to obsolete?

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #385 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSt View Post

You sound like a commercial.

Commercial for what?

Quote:

Although all indeed might be in a separate thread, your features are 100% related to the MINORITY of peoples problems.

You may be surprised but we know this. That is why I post the information here, for the enthusiasts who are in the minority in wanting things like room correction. The masses are happy with a $20 headphone plugged into the sound card and the words "bit perfect" are not in their vocabulary.

Quote:

In fact, IMHO your features create the problems with audio PCs in general.

All the features are optional. If you don't like them, you can avoid them. As such, I don't see how they could cause problems for users.

Quote:

As I said, you changed your signature.

I am missing this point. But putting this aside, what do you think I have not answered for you?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #386 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

Ryan-
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for. I haven't seen any announcements from soundcard manufacturers regarding HDMI outputs, but once we start seeing HDMI on the motherboard, aren't cheap soundcards with digital outputs going to obsolete?

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I'll definately check out the product you're working on but in the long run I'll probably be looking for a pre/pro that does audio processing as well as video switching/scaling. I've found that some high-end pre/pros like the Anthem AVM-50 and D2 support HDMI already so I guess the real question for me is how long till I can send them HDMI audio from my PC.

-Ryan
post #387 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, what question did I miss? Please let me know and I will try to answer.

ok so here we go again :

- can you tell me what is mandatory if I want to use the analog outputs of my soundcard for hd-dvd playback in XP and in Vista (signed drivers ? whql drivers ? logo compliant drivers ?)
- What about watermarked audio that should be in AACS 1.0, will it recquire a special chipset that has to be on the soundcard ( a la DVD-A) or can it be done in software ?
- What do I need to ask the lynx development team so we van have access to the SysFx DSPs in their vista driver ?
- How hard would it be to add a registry setting to turn dithering on/off to get a bit perfect output with volume at 100% et none of the SysFx DSPs enabled?

post #388 of 971 Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vairulez View Post

ok so here we go again :

- can you tell me what is mandatory if I want to use the analog outputs of my soundcard for hd-dvd playback in XP and in Vista (signed drivers ? whql drivers ? logo compliant drivers ?)

No specific requirements that I know off. But to be sure, you would want to check out the third-party HD DVD players you want to use with that.

Quote:

- What about watermarked audio that should be in AACS 1.0, will it recquire a special chipset that has to be on the soundcard ( a la DVD-A) or can it be done in software ?

There is no watermark requirement in the current AACS interim agreement that current discs and players are produced under. If one gets added to the final AACS agreement, it is an audio watermark, detected by code running on the CPU. So no chipset/hardware is required.

Quote:

- What do I need to ask the lynx development team so we van have access to the SysFx DSPs in their vista driver ?

Just ask them to create compliant/logo'ed drivers for Vista. If they need help, send them my way and I will have someone follow up with them.

Quote:

- How hard would it be to add a registry setting to turn dithering on/off to get a bit perfect output with volume at 100% et none of the SysFx DSPs enabled?

I asked for this already and it is too late for Vista unfortunately. It is a feature that is being considered now for post Vista updates.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #389 of 971 Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for such a fast answer.
what do you mean by post vista updates, vista SP1 ?

post #390 of 971 Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You are welcome. And yes, my hope is that it will go into SP1 but right now, the focus is on getting Vista done. After that, we will figure out what the update mechanisms will be.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page