Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 198 Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bicster,
sorry if I missed it, but did you end up modding your case to address the graphic card height issue?

I ended up getting the same XFX card and the lid to my case just fits on.....but I have to push down slightly on the lid to get the screw holes align up. I dont feel comfortable leaving it that way - having any extra stress on the heat pipes and into the mb just does not seem like a good idea.

My best idea is to notch out the case directly above the fins of the card. and then re-build a dome over the opening. My case is in a rack, so it does not have to look perfect as it wont be seen directly. just wondering if there are any better ideas out there.

thanks for the help,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 01-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandervix View Post

Hi Guys,

Great thread - been following it as I built my system -
Intel DG965OT
Antec Fusion case
Core2 Duo 6300
2GB Corsair 533 DDR2
400GB Samsung SATAII
Samsung DVD-RW

TIA.

Hello everyone , new here. I found this thread while looking in Google for some answers to this question:
why is my brand new just out of the box Intel DG965OT board not accepting the OCZ 800Mhz DDR2 1024Mb stick? found some info on the strict 1.8V thing so i have to exchange the memory. I saw that you did use CORSAIR brand, what is the actual model are you using? is it 800Mhz , 667, or less.
I will have to go with Kingston Value Ram if i want to stay in the 800Mhz. Would have liked to have better quality, but Kingston is ok .

My kitall brand new from 2 days... well still sitting there not working)
Antec Fusion
Intel Core2 Dual 1.86Ghz
Intel DG965OT board
not good... OCZ Gold Premium 1024Mb DDR2 800Mhz
320Gb Sata2 Western Digital
300Gb Sata2 Maxtor
20.1 in. LCD panel DVI-D

can anyone give me some good news about working memory modules in the 667 or 800Mhz.

many many many thanks
post #183 of 198 Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 PM

ghys,

I ordered (2) of these

Memory Link

My DG965OT would not work properly until I bought 1.8V only ram. I wanted PC6400 ram and these were in intels supported memory list. Since then my HTPC has been on 24/7 running perfect.
post #184 of 198 Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Sorry to hijack, but can I get thoughts on the dimensions of the Antec Fusion? It seems to me that they are pretty big for only holding an mATX board. I know about the different chambers, but doesn't anyone else think that this case is just too big if you are going mATX?
post #185 of 198 Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 AM
BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorweb View Post

Sorry to hijack, but can I get thoughts on the dimensions of the Antec Fusion? It seems to me that they are pretty big for only holding an mATX board. I know about the different chambers, but doesn't anyone else think that this case is just too big if you are going mATX?

I think the Fusion/NSK2400 is a reasonable size. It cannot be any shorter and still accept full height cards, or 120mm fans. It is not much wider than the CoolerMaster 250 I used to have. The cooling capability is awesome for a HTPC case.

I couldn't be happier with the case.

Brent
post #186 of 198 Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM

I have been watching this thread very closely...

I am about to turn my original HTPC into a new and improved Home Server.

I am working on maximum WAF (Wife Approval Factor) for this new system. I need it to be as powerful as possible and have room to expand, but at the end of the day the biggest thing is that it can't have any glitches... if its not smooth for playback or has "quirks" then she will be unhappy.

post #187 of 198 Old 03-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Hi

Found this thread on google when searching for DG965OT. I just bought this board and installed it in my Antec Fusion Case. Bought 2 different types of memory (1GB sticks Kingston and OCZ 533Mhz) as I read this board is very picky about it.

When I install the memory in Dimm 0/1 of Module B the system boots up fine. But I get error while updating bios. The board came with very old bios (1612) so I need to update it. I read the manual and it seems ICH8 has requirement to populate Dimm 0 of Module A else you keep getting the error "Dimm 0 Missing" in event log.

So I moved memory to Dimm 0 of Module A and system powers up for about 3 secs and then powers down itself. This goes on in cycle till I turn off the power from PSU. Now I have tried this with both memories just in case one type didn't work and it happens for both. When I move it back to module B, it works fine again.

I have no clue why this is happening. Is my board faulty? Please help.
post #188 of 198 Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM

So how is everyones build going?

My system is running top notch with the excepting of the sound when playing games. Still havn't figured that one out. Oh and by the way, I had to ground the front of my Antec Fussion case. It was the cause of my mother board problems. I started searching around on the net after I realised that everytime things went crazy was right when I would touch the front of the case like for ejecting a dvd or something.

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #189 of 198 Old 12-28-2007, 02:56 PM

Have you all finished your build ?

After waiting nearly a year to get a HDMI solution with an ADD2 card for my Intel MB,
i abandoned this project, since it wasn't easy to get a card in europe.
Also Gigabyte stopped their ADD2 product.
Further the promising Broadcom HW acceleration for G965 also died.
So to become HD ready (Video) i ordered Radeon HD2400pro+LG GGC-H20L+Sharp Aquos 46"

Here is my actual config:

So now to my real concern.
ICH temperature of my MB seem pretty high, even it is in a only frontdoor open furniture rack next to a Yamaha.
Can someone compare this temps ?
Is there another cooling solution for the ICH heat sink ?

Joe
post #190 of 198 Old 12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

ICH is about right. At least, that's what mine looks like. The things run damn hot.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #191 of 198 Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

Bicster,
sorry if I missed it, but did you end up modding your case to address the graphic card height issue?

I ended up getting the same XFX card and the lid to my case just fits on.....but I have to push down slightly on the lid to get the screw holes align up. I dont feel comfortable leaving it that way - having any extra stress on the heat pipes and into the mb just does not seem like a good idea.

My best idea is to notch out the case directly above the fins of the card. and then re-build a dome over the opening. My case is in a rack, so it does not have to look perfect as it wont be seen directly. just wondering if there are any better ideas out there.

thanks for the help,
Jeff

Replying a year late ... but I did not end up modifying the case. I bought a Sapphire HD 2600 XT Ultimate passive card, which fits great, but the drivers gave me problems so I pulled it back out. Now I am waiting for an VGA ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M to arrive. I did not want a 2-slot card but I still can't find an acceptable 1-slot card with HDCP... All the new BD playback stuff seems to require a GeForce 8 series or ATI HD series anyway.
post #192 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Bicster, what HD solutions are you using with your build. I want add more use to my build and just wanted to get some ideas from you guys....

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #193 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade View Post

Bicster, what HD solutions are you using with your build. I want add more use to my build and just wanted to get some ideas from you guys....

Are you referring to software or hardware?
post #194 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Mostly on the Software side.

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #195 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mostly I've been using Media Center for standard def DVD playback & music. I have a bunch of 1080p demo video on the hard drive but I haven't watched any of it in more than a year. Yesterday I bought PowerDVD Ultra 7 from Newegg, which is nearly $30 cheaper than it is directly from Cyberlink. On Friday, my BD-ROM drive (Pioneer) and new video card should arrive. And I will finally be able to put the lid on the case

I occasionally watch OTA HDTV from Media Center, but I mostly use my HD TiVo for that. Media Center's mandatory overscan really annoys the crap out of me.

DirecTV announced a new dual tuner for Media Center at CES. When that comes out, I will be tempted to dump the TiVo. Unfortunately, it will require Vista. I hope SP1 makes Vista a whole lot better.

Overall I spend a lot more time using my HTPC as a general purpose PC - surfing the web with Firefox, etc.
post #196 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Thats pretty much what i've been doing with mines except i don't have a HD tuner, but i'm looking to get the HD Homerun tuner to take care of that. I didn't know Media Center had mandatory overscan, that does suck.

HD ON THE BRAIN!!
post #197 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicster View Post

I occasionally watch OTA HDTV from Media Center, but I mostly use my HD TiVo for that. Media Center's mandatory overscan really annoys the crap out of me.

huh?? You mean your video DRIVER's overscan? MC does not do any overscanning for Video by itself. It has settings for overscan but they are for the MC UI, not video.
post #198 of 198 Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade View Post

Thats pretty much what i've been doing with mines except i don't have a HD tuner, but i'm looking to get the HD Homerun tuner to take care of that. I didn't know Media Center had mandatory overscan, that does suck.

I'm sure they do it so people don't complain about stuff like visible data scanlines (for closed captioning and so on)... But I wish there was some way to disable it.

I've been pretty happy with my Vbox tuner, but if I needed a second tuner I'd definitely look at the HD Homerun. I don't think it was MCE compatible yet when I bought my Vbox.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page