post #361 of 1982 Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

There are several ways to set up PoE for devices that don't support it natively.... Ethernet supports up to 100 meters, and fibre converters even farther....

Fiber is kinda tough on PoE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Yes, MCE2005 requires an analog tuner even if you don't use it. Just slap on a cheapie and then configure MCE to not use any channels from it. I put a Hauppauge USB2 just for that purpose.

Does the analog tuner need to stay installed after the HDHR is successfully set up? I thought I heard something about being able to remove it after the HDHR is recognized.

The more bullets in your belt the more trouble you can shoot.
post #363 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by obi5kenobi View Post

Does the analog tuner need to stay installed after the HDHR is successfully set up? I thought I heard something about being able to remove it after the HDHR is recognized.

It only needs to be present while you are setting up and configuring MCE for HDHomeRun. Once done, you can certainly remove it without affecting anything. If you need to make any changes to the MCE TV settings, again, you'll need to connect it back up. There is talk on the SiliconDust forums that the company mightcreate a "dummy" analog BDA driver so that MCE "thinks" it has an analog tuner installed.
post #364 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi5kenobi View Post

The analog tuner can come out, but you won't be able to make any changes to your channel lineup, or see signal strength values in MCE without it.

-pischke
post #365 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM

I have few questions related to HDhomerun.

I have a desktop(Runs Windows MCE) which is away from my TV. Can I use HDhomerun to capture OTA HD shows in the desktop and then use my JVC PRO HD to stream back to the TV. Will this work.

Thanks.
Sam.

Truth is Eternal, Knowledge is Changeable. It is disastrous to Confuse them. Madeline L'Engle.
post #366 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavid21 View Post

I have few questions related to HDhomerun.

I have a desktop(Runs Windows MCE) which is away from my TV. Can I use HDhomerun to capture OTA HD shows in the desktop and then use my JVC PRO HD to stream back to the TV. Will this work.

Thanks.
Sam.

Yes on the first part (recording OTA HD on the desktop), I don't know what a JVC PRO HD is..... but I stream with an xbox360 back to my TV.
post #367 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Russwong,

JVC PRO HD is network media player (I-O data link player manufactured for for JVC).

It can play the following MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG2-TS/DivX® VIDEO/XviD/WMV9 from the desktop.

Thanks.
Sam.

Truth is Eternal, Knowledge is Changeable. It is disastrous to Confuse them. Madeline L'Engle.
post #368 of 1982 Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavid21 View Post

Russwong,

JVC PRO HD is network media player (I-O data link player manufactured for for JVC).

It can play the following MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG2-TS/DivX® VIDEO/XviD/WMV9 from the desktop.

Thanks.
Sam.

Well in that case, I guess it depends on what program you use to make the recording. For instance if you use MCE, it will create dvr-ms files that doesn't appear to be on the list, but maybe Sage or Myth can record in a format that the JVC unit can stream.
post #369 of 1982 Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 AM

there are plugins for mce that can automatically convert to mpeg2
post #370 of 1982 Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Russwong/Prototyp_sx,

Thanks.

I will give it a try and post the results If I go HDhomerun route,

Sam.

post #371 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

True. BUT. The HDHR is sold "naked".
It requires VLC to do even the most rudimentary initializing and testing. I unfortunately did not have the most up to date version, and wasted time chasing bugs. Likewise, I had to chase down upgrades over and over..

Again, whose fault is that? (What, you've never had to upgrade before?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

It might have been helpful if HDHR listed all the software and requisite versions.

It would have been better if SiliconDust worked out a deal for utilities BEFORE selling the unit.

That might be nice, but after all, they are a (small) hardware company. Would you buy your PCs from Gateway or Dell just because they bundle an OS?

Hobbyists presumably enjoy making things work. Maybe you're in the wrong game. If you want a turnkey solution, you'll have to wait.
You shouldn't criticize the product because you've made poor decisions (or because it didn't save you from yourself). Grow up.

Sorry for the delayed response: been busy.
post #372 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Sorry for the delayed response: been busy.

Hmmm, you're apologizing for waiting so long to give this guy hell??

I think the HDHomeRun at least from a software standpoint is "not quite ready for prime-time" at least in that it DOES require a lot of fiddling, and some significant expertise, to get it to do anything at all, starting perhaps with the need for a DHCP server just to get it onto one's network.

Now at least VLC is bundled into the HDHomeRun installation package. But then the only thing that's relatively EASY to do is watch live TV--the product's tagline on its website is something about "Watch TV from every computer in your home" which requires still more knowledge & fiddling with VLC's streaming server, which again is non-trivial at best (*I* haven't figured it out, and am not sure I'm even going to try).

It's a very nice little box, and if one can afford SageTV the two make for a nice package, but it's an "early adopter gizmo" if ever I saw one. It does really make me appreciate again my ShowCenter SC200, which for something less than $200 did/does include a full-featured software package that was easy to install.
post #373 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM

OMG. I got it running in 10 minutes with SageTV, literally. My understanding from the first minute I read about it was that it is a network device made to use with 3rd party PVR software, not a standalone solution.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a network device to require DHCP, and everybody with a 50 buck home router has one of them without "significant expertise". This thing was plug-n-play with Sage and my d-link router.

I don't understand the hating here. I bought this instantly when I saw the price. If he waited another 6 months and "commercialized it" and charged twice the price, then everyone would be complaining it was too expensive and moaning that they didn't need all the included software anyway.

People are so hard to please.
post #374 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Yeah, people looking for commercial polish might be better off looking at the MyHD130 or the Dvico Fusion. The HDhomerun is more for guys who are already running something like Sage/Myth/MCE/gbpvr.

I've been running SageTv for a couple of years, but it hadn't really changed my viewing habits because for HDTV broadcasts, I need QAM. But prior to the HDhomerun, Sage didn't support QAM tuners (Sage also started to support the Autumnwave/ OnAir USB tuner for QAM at around the same time). Since I have a MyHD130, with it's un-PVR recording abilities, I was mostly watching HD shows live.

Now that I have the HDhomerun, which works seamlessly with Sagetv along with 2 ati 550 pro cards btw, I find myself finally watching HD shows on my own time schedule. There's nothing quite like needing only 45 minutes to watch a 60 minute show.
post #375 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

I had live ATSC OTA television on my desktop machine using VLC withen 5 minutes of unpackaging the HDHR. I had live QAM television five minutes after that. I took another 5 minutes to have LiveTV on my HTPC while I has live TV on my desktop machine.

I didn't need to need to do any fiddling at all. I simply plugged the unit unit in, installed the software (next, next, ok) and fired up the HDHR application and launched VLC.

The biggest advantage in my eyes is that this device doesn't introduce any instability, heat, noise, resources(PCI slots) on my machine.
post #376 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM

I just placed an order for mine. I have a HTPC down in my basement theater, I've been researching a way to get HDTV down there for 3 months now, this looks perfect!

post #377 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post

Yeah, people looking for commercial polish might be better off looking at the MyHD130 or the Dvico Fusion.

Sorry, but the Dvico Fusion is the last product I would say that has any commercial polish! The 4 HDHomeruns I've purchased are to replace my single Fusion card. That fusion card is great, but their software is SH*T. All versions of their software are beta and have problems.

The MyHD on the otherhand is a great product and that tied in with the CW_EPG addon is what made HD recording stable in my system.
post #378 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

HDHR is excellent with Media Center. I had it running on XP MCE when they only had the driver for one tuner. No problems there. A week or two later they had the new driver that enabled dual tuners. One slight hiccup on the Vista installation but after that it was all good (not a problem with HDHR, just a Vista bug). Since then all my OTA HD programming has been recording without a hitch and looking great. It's much better that the craptastic DVR box from Comcast.

The only thing that requires some fiddling is enabling QAM. When they upgrade the software to make that process more automated I'll give it a whirl. Until then I'll just stick with OTA.

I think this is the best hardware solution out there that's relatively inexpensive compared to the others on the market.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #379 of 1982 Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 PM

I've been testing the HDHomeRun all week and it is looking very good! Last night I installed their beta5 driver with dual tuner support and today I recorded several shows across several OTA channels with various overlaps, and it did not miss a single one. (with Vista MCE). I am now watching the shows to check for dropouts. I get a lot of dropouts on PBS subchannels with my dual Fusion 3T setup (MCE 2005).

My Fusions gernally work well when they come up properly but I usually have to reboot 3-5 times before they are happy - then they work for months on end - until I have to reboot for some reason. If I can get better stability OR better reception - the Fusions are toast.
post #380 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Hmmm, you're apologizing for waiting so long to give this guy hell??

When you punish a puppy, you should do so as soon after the misbehavior as possible, so he makes the right association.
Actually, the apology was intended for all other readers.
post #381 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I think the HDHomeRun at least from a software standpoint is "not quite ready for prime-time" at least in that it DOES require a lot of fiddling, and some significant expertise, to get it to do anything at all, starting perhaps with the need for a DHCP server just to get it onto one's network.

I never disputed that. I objected to someone whining about it.

Fiddling/tweaking/learning is (or should be) expected at this point. Of course it's an "early adopter gizmo": that's the fun part! After all, that's why we're here, and not standing in line for advice at some big-box store.

As for your specific, a DHCP server is not arcane or unusual, but just about as basic as a switch. Any router that doesn't include one (along with an SPI firewall) should be returned for a refund.

I'm not sure you need VLC's streaming server. I think you can use VLC on any machine on your network directly. (Note to self: check!)
post #382 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, people looking for commercial polish might be better off looking at the MyHD130 or the Dvico Fusion.

Nah, they'd bitch about them, too.

Quote:

Since I have a MyHD130, with it's un-PVR recording abilities, I was mostly watching HD shows live.

Have you tried the Cliff Watson EPG add-on for the MyHD 130? It has a big thread here. Not as slick as my RTVs, but does most of what's necessary. We watch HD broadcasts when we feel like it.
post #383 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The HDHR is a network device. As such it's not unreasonable to think there's going to be NETWORK set up. Anyone with more than one PC behind a broadband connection will be likely to have everything necessary. Yes, if you want to connect it directly to a single PC you'd have a bit of fiddling to do. But if you're plugging it into an existing network it should be a no-brainer. I plugged mine into my switch, installed the software on my Media Center 2005 PC and it "just worked". Now I get dual tuners for OTA HD recording.

The streaming to other PCs is indeed a bit of a hassle. But for what I use it for, a MCE tuner, that's not needed. I have no need to watch live TV from my other PCs. When the MCE records something I can just use regular file sharing to get the file over the network and play it back. Works great.

Frankly, I prefer tools that don't reinvent the wheel, badly, with their own mish-mash of crappy software. The TV tuner programs that come with most of the video cards are a complete waste of time and disk space.

So while I agree multi-PC streaming from the HDHR does take effort, the rest of it does not. Plug it in, install the software and go.
post #384 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Multi-PC streaming from the HDHR is a breeze if you're using SageTV.
post #385 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yes, if you have the extra SageTV Client then you can stream with it. You can also stream using Media Center Extenders. There are a number of ways to let other PCs on a network get at the tuners. Not all of them are totally without issues but most of them work reasonably well.
post #386 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtconsultants View Post

OMG. I got it running in 10 minutes with SageTV, literally....

I don't understand the hating here.

Well, I think you were responding to ME, and while I may not have spoken in the most glowing of terms about the HDHR, I did say "it's a very nice little box". Hating? Yeah I got it to work with SageTV too, though just the 45Meg download took 10 minutes for me, another half-hour maybe to sort jafa's instructions and get a working system. But after another couple weeks I'm gonna have to cough-up some serious bucks if I want to keep it!

I was simply cutting jetgraphics some slack because indeed the HDHR has been a work-in-progress, for many months. Having bought some of jafa's stuff in the past, I saw HDHR when it first came out (how many months ago was that) and now that I've finally taken the plunge myself I'm surprised that OOB all you can do is watch live TV (with VLC, man that's ugly), you can't even record a program. Yeah, if you surf the Silicondust forum til you're dizzy you eventually figure it out and understand what can be done with it.

As I've said many times, the box is (way?) underpriced. The developer just needs a little marketing/product packaging/documentation help, that's for sure.
post #387 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dont worry laserfan i agree with you 100% great hardware, actually excellent hardware....it's just the software that's buggy. I have no problems with PC's as I work in IT, but it did take a little fiddling to get it to work right and to understand how everything works (the log files are a big help though). It took about a week to get all of the bugs worked, but now i'm doing great.

But in the defense of HDHR, the software is in BETA. so if you're using beta software and expecting non-beta results that's the problem. the reason i think the for the unpolished software was because (at least in MCE) until recently the hardware wasn't up to it's full potential (dual tuners). now that that's done im sure the software will be more polished. all they'd really have to do is polish the QAM util that whulston2 made, incorporate it, and have MCE edit the xml files/guide data. Hopefully in a month or too, the software should plug and play, not plug and pray
post #388 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

Dont worry laserfan i agree with you 100% great hardware, actually excellent hardware....it's just the software that's buggy. I have no problems with PC's as I work in IT, but it did take a little fiddling to get it to work right and to understand how everything works (the log files are a big help though). It took about a week to get all of the bugs worked, but now i'm doing great.

But in the defense of HDHR, the software is in BETA. so if you're using beta software and expecting non-beta results that's the problem. the reason i think the for the unpolished software was because (at least in MCE) until recently the hardware wasn't up to it's full potential (dual tuners). now that that's done im sure the software will be more polished. all they'd really have to do is polish the QAM util that whulston2 made, incorporate it, and have MCE edit the xml files/guide data. Hopefully in a month or too, the software should plug and play, not plug and pray

post #389 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Have you tried the Cliff Watson EPG add-on for the MyHD 130? It has a big thread here. Not as slick as my RTVs, but does most of what's necessary. We watch HD broadcasts when we feel like it.

I did looked at that when it first came out. While I appreciated the work that they did, I was waiting for them to maybe streamline the initial install process. I guess I never got around to checking it out again.
post #390 of 1982 Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys I have a few question before I buy this device.
1. Will my MCE remote work with it?
2. Do I need some kind of splitter, because my motherboard has only one ethernet port?
3. Will I still get analog channels with it?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page