HDHomeRun - Dual ATSC or QAM to Ethernet Box - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1982 Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My main concern was messing up my file transfers on the switch. I normally get 250-300 Mbps, but occasionally it slows way down when one of the computers is working hard.

Plus I have extra NICs and I don't need the HDHR saving files to any other computer. But it will be a little pain putting in a NIC since there's only one free slot and it will need a NTSC card in there for MCE setup. Will just need to temporarily pull another card out.

Another thought is to plug the HDHR into my wireless router iso the switch. Will that prevent any network congestion? I have a plain DSL modem feeding the WAN port on the wireless, which feeds the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered an HDHomeRun in hopes of getting QAM working with Vista Ultimate in MCE. Hopefully all works out, as I get no ATSC Antenna Reception here for HighDef due to the valley I'm in, but I get tons of unencrypted QAM channels that I tune with the built-in tuner on my Aquas.

Douglas Thigpen
post #543 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm hoping I'll get my replacement soon.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #544 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

is there an official HDHR thread? with tips/tricks/users guide type info? or is this IT?
post #545 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepbrs View Post

is there an official HDHR thread? with tips/tricks/users guide type info? or is this IT?

There is not an official HDHR thread here. This is all pretty much done on the Silicondust forums.
post #546 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

There is not an official HDHR thread here. This is all pretty much done on the Silicondust forums.

yeah, that thought occured to me right after i hit the "submit" button, i guess that will be yet another thing to register for once my HDHR shows up, any recs for software if my primary goal is background recording with as little intrusion as possible into using the computer doing the recording for other things (just want a stream to disk so i can watch later without a bunch of windows open or the program playing) i already have GBPVR so i'll definitely give that a shot (I'm running XPSP2, no MCE)
post #547 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah, that thought occured to me right after i hit the "submit" button, i guess that will be yet another thing to register for once my HDHR shows up, any recs for software if my primary goal is background recording with as little intrusion as possible into using the computer doing the recording for other things (just want a stream to disk so i can watch later without a bunch of windows open or the program playing) i already have GBPVR so i'll definitely give that a shot (I'm running XPSP2, no MCE)

The HDHR can save a stream directly to a machine, but you would need to tune the channel, then filter the program then start the "save". You also have to stop the save when you want it to end. Batch files can be used for this but if you are already have GB-PVR, I recommend using it. The recording service is separate so you don't need the UI running for scheduled recordings to occur.

I try to watch as many boards as possible regarding the HDHR, but since I use it with GB-PVR (XPSP2 as well), the SD board and the GB-PVR board are the ones to which I pay closer attention.
post #548 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

i've been digging around in a couple of different forums regarding QAM tuning using the HDHR, and it sounds like I can't setup a channel map that contains two sub channels on the same major channel; for instance through cable i get CBS as 116-4 and FOX as 116-8, am I SOL if i try to setup the HDHR to tune these two different substations that are on the same major station?
post #549 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i've been digging around in a couple of different forums regarding QAM tuning using the HDHR, and it sounds like I can't setup a channel map that contains two sub channels on the same major channel; for instance through cable i get CBS as 116-4 and FOX as 116-8, am I SOL if i try to setup the HDHR to tune these two different substations that are on the same major station?

That's not true at all. Just use the QAM Mapping tool and it will create the remap file for you, but you can easily map multiple channels that are shared on the same QAM frequency.

http://www.oshinetworks.com/HDHomeRun/QamMapper/
post #550 of 1982 Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You can have subchannels on virtual channels but you cant have subchannels on physical channels. For example you can have 3-1 on physical channel 47 and 3-2 on physical channel 48.
post #551 of 1982 Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I posted this on the silicondust forums but no luck as of yet:

Quote:

When I first tried setting up the HDHR in MCE 2005, I went through the setup as instructed and everything went well except I got unknown for the signal strength on every single channel. I finally figured out that if I shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite that it would pick up the tuner and show me the signal strengths. So after I continued through that screen and finished up, I tried to actually go to one of the channels that mediacenter added to the lineup and I get the error that says: "Tuner Not Available, The tuner is currently in use by another application or is not working. Please close all applications, close Media Center, and try again." If I exit media center and open the HDHomerun config, it is tuned to the channel that I just tried to access in media center and if I launch VLC the channel comes in. This is all with ZoneAlarm shutdown, so I know that I am going to have to configure it, I'm still trying to find out how to do this as well. I just installed all the software last night so it is all current and "Install All" is greyed out in the HDHomerun Manager.

I am trying to figure out the settings to chage in ZoneAlarm, but I am wondering if I am doing more harm than good. So far I have given both of the HDhomerun programs completely trusted rights and have set them to be able to do everything but email. I found the list of executables and their permissions, but the ehrecvr.exe and ehvid.exe did not show up on the list. I tried to add them but every time I do they fail to get added to the list. I also set rules to allow both of the programs to allow and accept UDP on port 5000 because it that is what it says it is using in the config program.

Update: I am currently able to tune channels in the config program and view them through VLC while ZoneAlarm is running. Not 100% sure that I couldn't do it before, i might have just figured out how it works. Still cannot get any signal through mediacenter while ZA is running.
post #552 of 1982 Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

OK, after another night of tinkering I have it working now. I changed alot of different settings in zonealarm trying to get it to work. Finally I just disabled the program control and I could finally get the MCE signal meter to see the tuner with ZA enabled. I still could not get it to actually tune the channels though. So I decided to follow the instructions for removing the BDA drivers and and rerunning the signal setup in MCE to remove the association with the tuners. Once I reinstalled the BDA drivers and reran the setup to associate the tuner, it picked it up and everything is working fine. The fact that MCE could not see the tuners initially must have screwed up some association or something.
post #553 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I just want to confirm this is this possible. I have a cable box on the 3rd floor. I have a plasma hooked to a mini mac with an internet connection on the first floor. I want to be able to watch Cable TV on the plasma on the first floor. I can just hook the HomeRun to the cable box on 3rd floor and I should be able to view Cable TV on the plasma ( via mini mac ) right?

Thank you in advance
post #554 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

cosmos:

It depends on what you plan on watching. The hdhr will only stream unencrypted digital channels to the mini mac. So if all of your channels are analog or encrypted qam, then you won't get anything.
post #555 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

cosmos:

It depends on what you plan on watching. The hdhr will only stream unencrypted digital channels to the mini mac. So if all of your channels are analog or encrypted qam, then you won't get anything.

How do I know what channels are being encypted? I am only getting basic cable. I do have access to a TV that has cable on the second floor. Is there a way to do a easy test?

Thank you.
post #556 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Have HDHR. Finally have FiOS. Have answers....

FiOS TV, at least in MA, does offer clear QAM channels. More than I was expecting. All the local HDs are there and the music channels, some shopping channels and a few other superstation-like channels.

I can view TV fine with VLC but I still don't have it working in MCE. I get "no TV signal detected". I think I followed the instructions correctly but I will have to try from scratch again because it just won't work.

I can also confirm that even though my Comcast was cancelled I can still get their digital channels through the cable running into my house, if I were inclined to do that kind of thing...

Anybody else get the "no TV signal detected" error even though you followed all the instructions? I'm going to try the new driver from Silicon Dust and see if that helps.

Finally, does anyone know of a good, thorough, step-by-step guide to setting up an HDHR? I'm finding a lot of the documentation and posts confusing. I've found things like, "Then copy the file to the correct location" in the documentation for the QAM remapper, which I know is not Silicon Dust's software. No mention of where "The correct location" actually is.

The more bullets in your belt the more trouble you can shoot.
post #557 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi5kenobi View Post

Anybody else get the "no TV signal detected" error even though you followed all the instructions? I'm going to try the new driver from Silicon Dust and see if that helps.

Do you have a firewall running on your Media Center PC? I was having a similar problem (read above). Turned out that there are files in MCE that need to be allowed through the firewall for MCE to be able to use the tuners. Using the tuner through VLC does not use these files. For me it would work if I disabled my firewall but it wouldn't if I enabled it. Ended up disabling program control so I could at least protect the PC from inbound.
post #558 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

How do I know what channels are being encypted? I am only getting basic cable. I do have access to a TV that has cable on the second floor. Is there a way to do a easy test?

Thank you.

You won't be able to watch your basic analog cable channels with the hdhr. Check your local reception thread to see what (if anything) is unencrypted.
post #559 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Do you have a firewall running on your Media Center PC? I was having a similar problem (read above). Turned out that there are files in MCE that need to be allowed through the firewall for MCE to be able to use the tuners. Using the tuner through VLC does not use these files. For me it would work if I disabled my firewall but it wouldn't if I enabled it. Ended up disabling program control so I could at least protect the PC from inbound.

I haven't installed any firewall software but maybe Windows Firewall is messing things up? This is good info for me to follow up on, thanks!

post #560 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't installed any firewall software but maybe Windows Firewall is messing things up? This is good info for me to follow up on, thanks!

Windows Firewall is enabled by default.
post #561 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:

FiOS TV, at least in MA, does offer clear QAM channels. More than I was expecting. All the local HDs are there and the music channels, some shopping channels and a few other superstation-like channels.

I can view TV fine with VLC but I still don't have it working in MCE. I get "no TV signal detected". I think I followed the instructions correctly but I will have to try from scratch again because it just won't work.

I can also confirm that even though my Comcast was cancelled I can still get their digital channels through the cable running into my house, if I were inclined to do that kind of thing...

Finally, does anyone know of a good, thorough, step-by-step guide to setting up an HDHR? I'm finding a lot of the documentation and posts confusing. I've found things like, "Then copy the file to the correct location" in the documentation for the QAM remapper, which I know is not Silicon Dust's software. No mention of where "The correct location" actually is.

I was getting this as well when I first set it up. The fix (for me anyway) was to delete all the atsc***.xml files (located in documents & settings\\default user\\ etc)and the bdaremap file and then run the qamremapper / copy over the new atscpref file. For some reason the older files that either MCE or HDhomerun created were causing problems.

Right now I have the firewall off...will have to try renabling it later to see which programs I need to grant access. When I use GBPVR I can view TV fine with the firewall on but needed to grant the gbpvrrecording service the right permissions to record tv -- odd that the Windows firewall didn't indicate that a program was trying to access the network, it just blocked it.
post #562 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

If I remember correctly, windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic, I don't think it monitors what programs are doing. I don't know if this is still the case though, this might have changed with updates or something.
post #563 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Yes, MCE2005 requires an analog tuner even if you don't use it. Just slap on a cheapie and then configure MCE to not use any channels from it. I put a Hauppauge USB2 just for that purpose.

As I understand it the HDHR does not tune in the analog channels so wouldn't it be smart to keep the analog tuner to be able to record those channels in MCE?
post #564 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM

right - there is no analog tuner (which would also, usually, mean an mpg ENCODER, too) in the hdhr. its strictly a digital-only box.

Bryan
post #565 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Just set it up today for MCE in Vista Ultimate and it works great, fairly painless setup also. Recording stuff right now on both of its tuners. Happy to finally have QAM in MCE. Great product, would recommend it to anyone.

Douglas Thigpen
post #566 of 1982 Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

If I remember correctly, windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic, I don't think it monitors what programs are doing. I don't know if this is still the case though, this might have changed with updates or something.

Not true, outgoing ports are also blocked by default.
post #567 of 1982 Old 03-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post

right - there is no analog tuner (which would also, usually, mean an mpg ENCODER, too) in the hdhr. its strictly a digital-only box.

In fact there is an analog tuner....but there is no mpeg encoder so having the analog tuner there does you no good. That' why it's a digital only box.
post #568 of 1982 Old 03-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

your no TV signal detected problem may be because your using the newest drivers. Nick has admitted that the last sets of drivers with the lineup server support do not work well. I'd look on the Wiki and download the release drivers.... http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/downloads

Remember to put your firmware back to the 20070219 with the currently installed Config GUI BEFORE you uninstall the current version and then install the "older" version.
post #569 of 1982 Old 03-16-2007, 07:22 AM

I got it working without messing with the Windows Firewall. Loaded the latest beta driver from 3-13, I think, and used the new 1.2.3 or whatever of the QAM mapper and got HDHR working in MCE. It's not pulling guide data for some channels, gotta figure that out but there are a lot of posts on that in other forums. It might be as simple as changing the label of the channel in MCE. Some do have guide data, some don't. Pretty strange.

After installing the new driver MCE said "Tuner not installed or not working". A reboot fixed this, or at least that's what seemed to fix it. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!

post #570 of 1982 Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohn View Post

Not true, outgoing ports are also blocked by default.

Windows firewall offers no outbound protection--that's been a well known fact for years. Vista purports to, but apparently still does not:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6690672-1.html

Also, I'm not sure that MSFT has yet dealt with the issue where their firewall is allowed to be turned off by other software (e.g. legit firewall install programs). If it can be turned off by legit programs, it can be turned off by malware. I only use WF on my HTPC, because I have few security concerns there, and it's behind a router.
Reply Home Theater Computers