post #631 of 1966 Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

Just got my HDHR and have been having an issue with GBPVR. Everything works fine with VLC. I remapped a couple of channels as a test for GBPVR and the remap file seems to work fine since the GBPVR config tool seems to find them. They are listed in the tuned channels window, I have enabled them, and the tuning script appears to be correct. However, I just get a black screen in the GBPVR config preview screen and only a black screen when I try to play a channel with GBPVR. Thought it might be a decoder issue but I can play stored mpeg files no problem. Anything I missed when I set up GBPVR? This is on a PC with XP2 (no MCE).

In the GB-PVR Config "Playback" tab, check to see which MPEG decoder you are using. If it says "System Default", try specifying one. If that doesn't work, zip and post your logs directory at http://forums.gbpvr.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1966 Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

In the GB-PVR Config "Playback" tab, check to see which MPEG decoder you are using. If it says "System Default", try specifying one. If that doesn't work, zip and post your logs directory at http://forums.gbpvr.com

Thanks. I had tried specifying the Nvidia decoder instead of system default without results. I noticed Nero decoder is on there so I'll give it a try, then post the logs info if I still don't get results.

Jim
post #633 of 1966 Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
I just got GB-pvr up and running. It seems to work ok, nothing recorded yet... i will know in an hour. are you trying QAM or ATSC?

Dave
post #634 of 1966 Old 04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherman516 View Post

I just got GB-pvr up and running. It seems to work ok, nothing recorded yet... i will know in an hour. are you trying QAM or ATSC?
Dave

I run QAM but occasionally swith to OTA for development/testing purposes.
post #635 of 1966 Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherman516 View Post

Dave

I ended up creating a remap file with QamMapper and that did the trick. Obviously some aspect of my manually created remap was off.

Now, that it's up and running, I have a few observations about the application. I don't understand the CPU usage with this player. VLC player hardly makes a blip on my Opty 165/7900GT SLI machine. While GBPVR is in the 70% range at times. That is with the same Nvidia codec. I noticed that stuttering during the playback was evident in VMR9 and I had to switch to Overlay to eliminate it. Also, GBPVR fills the whole screen on my 1920X1200 display while VLC seems to map correctly to 1920X1080. Also, what's up with the interface getting stuck in maximized mode when you close it maximized? I hope these are things I can rectify with some tweaks I haven't discovered yet.

Jim
post #636 of 1966 Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand the CPU usage with this player. VLC player hardly makes a blip on my Opty 165/7900GT SLI machine. While GBPVR is in the 70% range at times. That is with the same Nvidia codec.

GB-PVR uses DirectShow codec filters. VLC uses it's own internal filters. I have yet to find a DirectShow filter that performs as well those in VLC.

Quote:

I noticed that stuttering during the playback was evident in VMR9 and I had to switch to Overlay to eliminate it.

Did you try VMR9 Exclusive or VMR7? I run VMR 7 on a 7600GT and playback is pretty smooth.

Quote:

Also, GBPVR fills the whole screen on my 1920X1200 display while VLC seems to map correctly to 1920X1080.

Try changing the Aspect Ratio in the NVidia properties. You can also use F7 in GB-PVR to switch aspect ratios.

Quote:

Also, what's up with the interface getting stuck in maximized mode when you close it maximized? I hope these are things I can rectify with some tweaks I haven't discovered yet.

Haven't seen or heard of this so I can't help there, sorry.
post #637 of 1966 Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

GB-PVR uses DirectShow codec filters. VLC uses it's own internal filters. I have yet to find a DirectShow filter that performs as well those in VLC.

Did you try VMR9 Exclusive or VMR7? I run VMR 7 on a 7600GT and playback is pretty smooth.

Try changing the Aspect Ratio in the NVidia properties. You can also use F7 in GB-PVR to switch aspect ratios.

Haven't seen or heard of this so I can't help there, sorry.

Did try the other settings but only Overlay eliminated the stuttering. Tried the aspect ratio switch in GBPVR but not in the Nvidia properties. Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

I think this is the issue http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=25245 but the poster in this case was in VMR9 Fullscreen, not the case with my settings. Looks like you have to go in and change the registry settings.

Jim
post #638 of 1966 Old 04-07-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I should mention: when you set the renderer in the GB-PVR Config, make sure you set the NVidia decoder's "Enhanced nView" property to match.
post #639 of 1966 Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

can this tuner card support diferent channel on other pc? i mean if one pc is on channel 2 and the other pc is on channel 4. will it works or not?
post #640 of 1966 Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

can this tuner card support diferent channel on other pc? i mean if one pc is on channel 2 and the other pc is on channel 4. will it works or not?

If you use one of the tuners for one PC and the other tuner for the other PC, it will work, but there is no way for them to share a tuner and know that the other one is using it.
post #641 of 1966 Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

If you use one of the tuners for one PC and the other tuner for the other PC, it will work, but there is no way for them to share a tuner and know that the other one is using it.

That is correct as I have experienced it the other day. One PC was recording 2 HD channels. Another PC came on and selected a HDTV channel. No errors as in the tuner is being used. It just took one of the tuners leaving the PC that was recording with only 1 show to record.

So while you can share the device, once you start getting into multiple recordings and multiple users at the same time its better to buy another HDHR. Thats what I ended up doing.
post #642 of 1966 Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 AM

I setup up my HDhomerun this weekend..

I have both basic cable and OTA HD in the washington DC area -- really VA - Fairfax county with Cox Coummincation cable..

The OTA works pretty much as expected and I can get this to work in MCE 2005..

The channels on the cable input are confusing me greatly -- I can split the cable and send a singal to my Sony TV and it will list and bring in analog and numerous unencrypted digtal channel - including several HD locals..

the same cable plug into the HDhomerun is seeing qam signal, but I've very confused on what channel is what and I'm have trouble even find the same digital channle on the HDhomerun that I seen on the TV -- I'm after mainly my local HD's on cable

I have one channel in HD on cable I can not pick up from my antennae location (PBS WETA on 26-1)

I think much of this is probably channel mapping issue with MCE not doing QAM directly and I've not at a point of understand how to set this up

so on a non MCE PC - I try both GB-PVER and Mediaportal software -- I still can not figure out how to this other software to use the HDhomerum for either OTA or QAM - both do not see the tuner despite the installation of the BDA driveer for the HDhomerun

help appreciatedd
post #643 of 1966 Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post

so on a non MCE PC - I try both GB-PVER and Mediaportal software -- I still can not figure out how to this other software to use the HDhomerum for either OTA or QAM - both do not see the tuner despite the installation of the BDA driveer for the HDhomerun

help appreciatedd

Have you visited the HDHR forums? Lots of good info there.

A few vital links below:
GBPVR Setup for HDHR:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/vie...ighlight=gbpvr

QAM remap utility:
post #644 of 1966 Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You may find the actual QAM frequencies reported in your local thread.
post #645 of 1966 Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 AM

I have the remap utility and tried it.. still have some issue in get MCE to work with QAM. I'm probably missing something in the various setups and steps

I have not read throught GB-PVR thread yet -- will do that today..

I do note the remap utility had a setting for MCE or GB-PVR

I was stuck in GB-PVR and mediaportal -- not seeing any tuner cards

I can see both tuner in MCE and I can use the HDhome tools and VLC to see things on both tuner from any PC I install them on.

I just can not get the final piece done on a nice interface setup with a guide and channels for viewing or recording..

I have tried with only OTA into the HDHR, only QAM, and one feed of each.

I would like one feed of each and if I can figure all this out I may get another HDHR for more tuners available

just a little slow on this one I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Have you visited the HDHR forums? Lots of good info there.

A few vital links below:
GBPVR Setup for HDHR:

QAM remap utility:

post #646 of 1966 Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

For Media Portal and GB-PVR to see the HDHomeRun, you need to add entries to the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml for Media Portal and bda.ini for GB-PVR. Instructions are available at the Silicondust forums (stickies at the top).

I also wrote a small utility to add the bda.ini entries for GB-PVR: http://www.oshinetworks.com/HDHomeRun/gbHdhrBda.zip

Edit: TVServer should automatically detect the HDHomeRun once the drivers are installed. No entries are required.
post #647 of 1966 Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM

So I just hooked up the HDHomerun to my cable for QAM.
Previously I was using a DB4 OTA antenna with amp picking up NYC stations here on the Island.
The QAM thru Fios is great. The remap program made it so much easier. Now I get PBS also, a local HD channel that was being broadcasted from another direction so my antenna wasn't picking it up.
I'm very happy with this setup, and the unit isn't even by my PC anymore.
post #648 of 1966 Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
This unit is amazing! Works great with MCE 2005.
post #649 of 1966 Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Sorry if this has been asked in the past, but I'm lost. I'm trying to do QAM in MCE with HDHR. I downloaded and ran the QAMmapper, and it found a ton of channels. Where I'm lost is getting that info into MCE, and having MCE find 'em. I've followed the directions on the Silicondust forums, but get confused on the difference between a CLI and GUI, especially when doing the Cmd stuff, anyone have a simple explanation? The "dust" forum generally speaks in terms over my head when it comes to script and programming stuff, please treat me like the idiot I am,
thanx,
Joel
post #650 of 1966 Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

has anyone had success using the HDHR with a CE content streamer? like Roku picture bridge, mvix, tvix, mediagate, zensonic, ziova, etc...? i know it kinda works with SD stuff for XBMC, but i'd like something to handle HD stuff without having to build a fullblown HTPC, thanks,
-j
post #651 of 1966 Old 04-14-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post

Sorry if this has been asked in the past, but I'm lost. I'm trying to do QAM in MCE with HDHR. I downloaded and ran the QAMmapper, and it found a ton of channels. Where I'm lost is getting that info into MCE, and having MCE find 'em. I've followed the directions on the Silicondust forums, but get confused on the difference between a CLI and GUI, especially when doing the Cmd stuff, anyone have a simple explanation? The "dust" forum generally speaks in terms over my head when it comes to script and programming stuff, please treat me like the idiot I am,
thanx,
Joel

Not sure what you mean by "getting the info into MCE" so I will cover a couple of things.

If you are not sure what each of the channels found by the Qam Mapper are, use the HDHomeRun Config (GUI) to tune to the channel and launch VLC to view it so you can identify it. I am adding the option to launch VLC and view a selected channel in the next QAM Mapper release.

If you know what the channels are, select the channel in the "Guide Channel" dropdown, then right click the description field of the corresponding entry below. The callsign for that channel should now be in the description field.

After configuring all the channel you want and saving, there will be a file called atscprefs.xml created in your Documents\\QamMapper directory ("Documents" = "My Documents" on pre-Vista machines). Copy this file to one of the following locations ("Show hidden files and folders" has to be enable in Windows) :
  1. For Vista: C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\eHome\\EPG\\prefs
  2. For pre-Vista: "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\eHome\\EPG\\prefs"
After copying the file, go into the MCE settings to "Add Digital Channels" (don't remember the exact location in settings, sorry) and remove the "DELETE-DT" channel.

After these steps, you should have the channels in your guide in the 1000+ range with guide data.
post #652 of 1966 Old 04-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Thanx Vladd, I finally got it dialed in yesterday. My confusion came from the creation of the re-map file itself. I wasn't really sure how this was created or what type of file it was. I was running the QAMmap utility, but then going into MCE and expecting the channels to show up, without making that file with the template identifying each channel individually and assigning a virtual frequency.
The missing info that would have helped me I think is further instructions on creating the file with the template on the SD forum, ie I went into notepad, cut and pasted the template, then built the file from there, and changed the default type of file from .txt to "all files".
I must admit I'm a novice at any type of computer language, so I was pretty amazed (and a bit proud) to find that the simple language or code in that file actually interacted and made MCE "see" the channel designations created in that little template file.

Now I just need to feed in the network info so I can schedule recordings and get the MCE GUI working.

Thanx for the assist, this seems like its gonna be a great product.

Joel
post #653 of 1966 Old 04-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepbrs View Post

has anyone had success using the HDHR with a CE content streamer? like Roku picture bridge, mvix, tvix, mediagate, zensonic, ziova, etc...? i know it kinda works with SD stuff for XBMC, but i'd like something to handle HD stuff without having to build a fullblown HTPC, thanks,
-j

I have just gotten to the stage of where the HDHR can stream to a LinkPlayer2 using VLC to passthrough the UDP packets to HTTP over TCP. There are some problems that develop over time that I am investigating, but it is promising. See the LinkPlayer2 thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10296025

I have no doubt that the same approach can be applied to any other CE NMP.

Good luck,

Andrew
post #654 of 1966 Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

has anyone had success using the HDHR with a CE content streamer? like Roku picture bridge, ...
-j

This is your lucky day! A very generous developer named The Endless has written a client for the Roku HD1000/photobridge. I use it and it works. Info is here:
http://www.permanence.com/roku/forum...px?g=forum&c=5

Please donate to him if you use it.
post #655 of 1966 Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg@16paws View Post

I have just gotten to the stage of where the HDHR can stream to a LinkPlayer2 using VLC to passthrough the UDP packets to HTTP over TCP. There are some problems that develop over time that I am investigating, but it is promising. See the LinkPlayer2 thread here:

Good luck,

Andrew

hmmm....that's kind of weak, i dont mind using another computer to change channels/config the HDHR, but having to use VLC on another box to stream the video is too much hassle, is there no way in h3ll to get the HDHR to stream using a protocol other than UDP?
post #656 of 1966 Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:

-j

Good luck,

Andrew
post #657 of 1966 Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

ok so what exactly is the "Signal Quality" measurement shown on the HDHR software? i'm guessing it's something along the lines of signal to noise ratio? within the last day i've started to have a lot of trouble tuning via QAM and the signal quality keeps jumping between about 10% and 80% basically making tuning impossible, if the "Signal Quality" is jumping around like that is the problem likely some kind of varying noise on the line like intermitent interference from some other CE equipment?
post #658 of 1966 Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok so what exactly is the "Signal Quality" measurement shown on the HDHR software? i'm guessing it's something along the lines of signal to noise ratio? within the last day i've started to have a lot of trouble tuning via QAM and the signal quality keeps jumping between about 10% and 80% basically making tuning impossible, if the "Signal Quality" is jumping around like that is the problem likely some kind of varying noise on the line like intermitent interference from some other CE equipment?

I had this issue when my wireless access point was sitting next to the HDHR. Try isolating the HDHR away from any possible interference and see if this clears up thing.
post #659 of 1966 Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstepnio View Post

I had this issue when my wireless access point was sitting next to the HDHR. Try isolating the HDHR away from any possible interference and see if this clears up thing.

i'll give that a try later today, not very convenient if that's the case, especially if you have HSI through cable, i mean i have my cable modem, wired/wireless router, and HDHR all within a couple feet of each other
post #660 of 1966 Old 04-17-2007, 01:59 PM

OK, I'm quite new to HTPC's, but I (think) I've learned that most ATSC tuners require Windows XP or Vista to function - even though that is no longer something to persue (I've had it with activation!).
My PVR program is BeyondTV 4.6.1 (the latest build).

I wonder if HDHR might be a "loophole" for this problem, though.

Has anyone tried this combination (Win 2000 + HDHR + BTV)?

My last hope for a HD PVR before Linix and Myth.

Thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page