Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post

Yes... replace the Power Connector. I did, and it made a big difference.

He knows. His point was that the software detected the failing power supply and informed him. Once again Silicondust is blazing new trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

After updating the software, it automatically noticed I was having problems and offered to replace the power connector for me. I clicked ok and it took me to a web page where I simly put in my address and such.

I found it spiffy that it told ME that I was having a problem.

I'm not so sure that it could tell you were having problems with the power brick, but instead that you had a questionable one. They mentioned writing this into the update software over on the Silicondust forum.

They apparently not only had a bad batch, but the manufacturer was wrong on it being just a bad batch, so if I recall correctly they changed manufacturers.

Edit: The following is the post I was thinking of. Apparently the install program doesn't detect anything other than the device ID, and if that ID# came with a suspect power supply, they let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa View Post

The SW20 model power adapters were made by a third party supplier.

We discovered a reliability issue with this model and we are offering free replacements to anyone with this model of power adapter: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/power/

The 20081002 software release checks the device ID of the HDHR during installation and will bring up the power adapter replacement page if the power adapter is a SW20 model.

The replacement power adapters ship out next business day and typically take 3-5 days to arrive.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Please help me understand your setup. Do the recordings have to be made through TotalMedia software? and then what media server are you using?

I am using CWEPG to schedule HDHomerun and MyHD recordings and I would like to play them back in my theater room setup which has a ps3 for blue-ray viewing

I have been unable to get the Ps3 to recognize ts video files saved on my Buffalo live networked attached storage with above programs (it has a DLNA server but the PS3 doesn't see any files).

Perhaps as simple as renaming the saved files from ts to mpg extensions?

I would really like to be able to use the ps3 to stream the recordings. (I do have totalmedia installed but don't really use it)

I only got the HDHomerun a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have a set procedure yet. Until now, I had been recording shows through Vista Media Center and streaming to my Xbox 360.

Now that I know I can use the PS3, I'll probably start using TotalMedia to record shows to a memory stick and then plug it in one of the PS3's USB port as needed.

TotalMedia saves the programs as a .mpg file, and the PS3 plays it natively - no transcoding or recontainerizing needed. I like that simplicity.

Scott

Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

TotalMedia saves the programs as a .mpg file, and the PS3 plays it natively - no transcoding or recontainerizing needed. I like that simplicity.

That's all well and good until you reach the FAT32 4GB file size limit. After that, you'll be scratching your head, too, and growling in frustration.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

That's all well and good until you reach the FAT32 4GB file size limit. After that, you'll be scratching your head, too, and growling in frustration.

Yeah, that's one of the things I have to figure out yet. First, I need to get a memory stick bigger than 4GB. I've ordered a 16GB SDHC card and USB adapter, once I get them the fun will begin.

If all else fails, I should just be able to split the file into sections smaller than 4GB, right?

Scott

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
So, I finally caved today and decied to start upgrading the HTPCs with the TV Pack. I had been holding off on doing it till now, because well...everything has been working like smooth butter for quite some time. Why fix something that aint broke?

But the allure of having multiple tuner support (without any hacks), the integrated guide, and some of the other "supposed" improvements, pushed me over the edge.

I upgraded one of the machines that has the M780 in it and configured it to use one of the HDHomeruns as well. So, 1 analog and 3 digital tuners (all QAM capable).

Did the whole nine yards with TV Pack install, Playready and what not...and to my surprise...it actually worked on the FIRST try. That's a rarity with Microsoft software. Anyway, I just installed the updates over my existing Vista installation, I certainly did not reinstall Vista (but would have if needed). The TV Pack recognized all tuners correctly, scanned the channels and found "almost" all of them, although the channel names seem to be all over the place. Will have to sit down and clean up the guide and get some of the missing channels and channel names correct.

But other than that, the install seems pretty painless. I had been reading in various places where they said, you lose the "icons" for your existing recordings (since they are dvr-ms), but that doesn't seem to be the case. It still shows the icons just like before.

On a different note, are my eyes deceiving me, or does the TV Pack change something in the default decoder as well? The PQ ....well...SEEMS better..or is it just my mind playing tricks on me, since I installed new software? (Will have to do some un-scientific testing).
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Edit: The following is the post I was thinking of. Apparently the install program doesn't detect anything other than the device ID, and if that ID# came with a suspect power supply, they let you know.

Good enough for me.

I wish ALL manuacturers did this. Had I not been a member of this forum, I would have never known about the power supply issue.

I am quite happy about it.

Imagine that, I am happy about having a defective product! lol
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Now that I know I can use the PS3, I'll probably start using TotalMedia to record shows to a memory stick and then plug it in one of the PS3's USB port as needed.

Scott

I actually prefer the simplicity of saving in a single file (NTFS) and not messing with broken up files to accomodate a file system. Or doing any post-recording transcoding of files. Maybe some commercial edits (using H2), but that's the limit of what I want to mess with once recorded.

I may give TVVersity or Twonky a try - but I am really frustrated with all the roadblocks to playing back a simple straightforward ATSC or QAM file recorded with the HDHomerun (or MyHD) over my network to the PS3.

In the end it may just be easier to move my media streamer (Avel LP pro ) to theater room or buy another one - they are only $150 and don't need CPU power or require the computer to be turned on, etc. Plus I have a MyHD in the room with computer anyway and it plays all these back fine already without taxing my computer like I would with the server software/services.

I actually think the MyHD still remains one of the best choices (going for peanuts on Ebay) for playback of files for those folks with an HDHomerun and an older system (Os winxp and not dual processor) for ease of playback and flexibility in recording multiple shows.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Imagine that, I am happy about having a defective product! lol

Good customer service can make up for a lot of things. I wish all companies would realize this.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Good customer service can make up for a lot of things. I wish all companies would realize this.

Not only that, but it also presumably prevented a lot of headaches for customers, since it looked for the issue before any problems existed.

I just wonder how many people that don't visit the forums would actually upgrade their HDHR software? I did recently because I was giving SageTV a second try, but on my original HTPC I just left the beta HDHR software running, because it wasn't causing any issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Has anyone bought one of these off of Ebay. I can get a pretty good deal right now with the 25% microsoft cashback when paying with paypal. Just thought I'd get your opinions on it. It's new and in the box from a reputable ebayer...will I be sacrificing a warranty, etc.

Any responses are appreciated. This definitely looks like the tuner to buy based on all the good comments about it.

Thanks.

Gary
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaf508 View Post

Has anyone bought one of these off of Ebay. I can get a pretty good deal right now with the 25% microsoft cashback when paying with paypal. Just thought I'd get your opinions on it. It's new and in the box from a reputable ebayer...will I be sacrificing a warranty, etc.

Any responses are appreciated. This definitely looks like the tuner to buy based on all the good comments about it.

Thanks.

Gary

Thats what i did and I am about to receive the cashback, 159 free ship - 25%

Solid signal authorized reseller.

http://stores.ebay.com/SolidSignalCom

Microcenter had them for 149.

I did not see them on solid signal ebay store but you might call them to see if they are going to get more.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 PM

dont forget to see if it is the later version rev 2 or something as explained in the thread earlier.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiribomb View Post

Thats what i did and I am about to receive the cashback, 159 free ship - 25%

Solid signal authorized reseller.

http://stores.ebay.com/SolidSignalCom

Microcenter had them for 149.

I did not see them on solid signal ebay store but you might call them to see if they are going to get more.

That store is not showing an of the hdhomerun units. I was looking at another store but if this is cheaper to start with I'd like to use them. Any ideas? will he relist?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiribomb View Post

dont forget to see if it is the later version rev 2 or something as explained in the thread earlier.

How can you tell if it is a Rev2 unit?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaf508 View Post

How can you tell if it is a Rev2 unit?

And what benefits does the "Rev 2" version feature?

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

And what benefits does the "Rev 2" version feature?

From the SiliconDust forum (just search for posts containing "rev" from jafa):

Quote:
Rev 1.x uses the Oren CAS220 chipset.
Rev 2.x uses the latest generation Micronas DRXJ chipset.

Quote:
Rev 2 is a newer generation and has slightly better performance.

Quote:
The rev 2 HDHomeRun hardware uses the latest generation 0.13 mircon Micronas demod. This chipset has only just been released last quarter.

Quote:
Confirming - the rev 2 tuners have a wider AGC range and can handle stronger input signal levels.

Also, from my own experience, the rev 2 HDHRs use less power than the rev 1 HDHRs, and run cooler. I connected both to a Kill-A-Watt meter, but I don't have the numbers in front of me. Perhaps someone else can provide the difference in power usage.

Regarding the claim of slightly better performance, in my experience, the rev 2 HDHR does do a marginally better job with difficult signals, but performance is pretty close to the rev 1 HDHRs.

It seems like SiliconDust downplayed the advantages of the rev 2 tuner, and much to their credit, refrained from creating an environment where users felt they had to upgrade to get the latest and greatest.

-Dave
Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta say though, I can't complain about either one of my Rev 1 units.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Weird situation... in the SF Bay Area and the ABC show (Gray's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives) have this problem, that result in a Video Error during playback.

Playback on a 360 will play and then the screen will go black for a second, then come back. Then a few seconds later the video will stop and when I hit stop and resume again it will start and skip over the problem section. On the MCE, there is an error message, but I can stop and resume also, but parts are missing.

The error message on MCE says: Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer.

Anyone have this problem? Seems to only be on ABC shows.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds like transmission errors... contact the station and tell them they have discontinuities in their stream...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

i want to know is it better to connect hdhomerun to the gigabit router rather than 100 mbs router. or it is the same picture and sound quality if i get either one of those router.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

i want to know is it better to connect hdhomerun to the gigabit router rather than 100 mbs router. or it is the same picture and sound quality if i get either one of those router.

I've had both. First a DLink 10/100 and then I upgraded to an 8 port 1gb Linksys. The Linksys went bad after a few months and I switched back to the DLink. Never saw a difference in picture quality until the Linksys went bad.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

HDHomeRun doesn't transfer enough data to overrun 100MBs, you will not see any difference (except the % utilization decrease with a 1GBs router).
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Also the HDHomerun only has a 100baseT interface.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A gigabit switch is still a good idea. In theory, two QAM channels can use 78 Mbps, so a 100 Mbps network does not leave a lot of headroom for other network traffic. As the link points out, in practice, the HDHR will use a lot less than 78 Mbps, but it is still nice to be able to copy a file between two PCs while using the HDHR, and not have the transfer be as slow as molasses.

-Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

A gigabit switch is still a good idea. In theory, two QAM channels can use 78 Mbps, so a 100 Mbps network does not leave a lot of headroom for other network traffic. As the link points out, in practice, the HDHR will use a lot less than 78 Mbps, but it is still nice to be able to copy a file between two PCs while using the HDHR, and not have the transfer be as slow as molasses.

-Dave

Actually I checked last night, and with two QAM HD shows recording, my 1Gb switch showed 3% utilization (I watched it for several minutes and it only had short dips down to 1% and nothing over 3.3%. In 100Mbps that would be 30% utilization..
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Ifc I were buying a switch today I would get gigabit. However my 100mb switch handles 5 HDTV streams at a time. Three recordind and two extenders going.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

-Dave

Huh? Isn't a 100Mbps switch supposed to handle more than 100Mbps? From my understanding, 100Mbps is a per port limit so if you have a 4-port switch, you have a total bandwidth of 400Mbps (800Mbps in full duplex mode). The only problem I could think of is if, for example, you're streaming two full QAM channels (78Mbps) from the HDHomeRun while you're copying files to the same computer. If buying new equipment, though, gigabit is the way to go.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a difference between backplane speeds and port speeds. 100 Mbps is a port speed at half-duplext. Full-Duplex is 200 megs, but the backplane speeds is the total speed that the whole switch can handle. If the backplane can handle all ports at full speed with out any issues, it's considered a non-blocking backplane or line speed backplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Huh? Isn't a 100Mbps switch supposed to handle more than 100Mbps? From my understanding, 100Mbps is a per port limit so if you have a 4-port switch, you have a total bandwidth of 400Mbps (800Mbps in full duplex mode). The only problem I could think of is if, for example, you're streaming two full QAM channels (78Mbps) from the HDHomeRun while you're copying files to the same computer. If buying new equipment, though, gigabit is the way to go.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking the same thing. I will have two QAM channels recording but yet have no issues with copy large files across the 100mbps network at full speed to other PCs. Now if you have hub that's a total different ball game. Haven't seen one of those in years