HDHomeRun - Dual ATSC or QAM to Ethernet Box - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1966 Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ohh, thanks! I was under the impression that GB-PVR was a VMC plug in. Are there any plug in's for VMC that work better then just VMC?

Cary Cinema 12 Pre/Pro, XPA-3 & UPA-2 Amps.
2 DIY Vifa 12" Subs, HTPC-3D, Moncaso 301P, Svr: Norco RPC-4020-24TB WHS.
Ctr:ML Motif, Rrs:ML Fresco i w/Abyss sub.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1966 Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ah, sorry, that I can't answer since I don't use VMC. I'll have to let someone else more qualified help you on that. I was more familiar with it when I had to write the QAM Mapper but that is not needed anymore with the HDHomeRun.
post #1533 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed75 View Post

Ohh, thanks! I was under the impression that GB-PVR was a VMC plug in. Are there any plug in's for VMC that work better then just VMC?

The best feature (by far) in VMC is the TV feature. The plugins you may want to add is webguide. It adds the ability to handle all your scheduling needs thorugh the internet using a web browser. It also allows you to stream live/recorded shows but quality will suffer if your upload speeds are slow. Across a lan quality is exactly the same. Another plugin I like is the one (can't think of the name right now, I am at work) it basically edits the commercials out of your recorded shows so that when you are ready to watch them you don't even need to skip/FF past the commercials (very handy).

I forgot to mention. If you add the TV pack both of the plugins I mentioned will no longer work. While the TV pack adds some functionality it also breaks quite a few so make sure the pros outweigh the cons.
post #1534 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Another plugin I like is the one (can't think of the name right now, I am at work) it basically edits the commercials out of your recorded shows so that when you are ready to watch them you don't even need to skip/FF past the commercials (very handy).

Lifextender?

http://www.lifextender.com/

I agree, great app but does not work with the TVpack yet as you mentioned.
post #1535 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks! These programs look great.

So it looks like I shouldn't install TVPack correct? I guess I'll know more once I install the HDHomeRun unit and try out VMC to see what's there. I've never used a tuner on the HTPC before so I have no idea of the usage.

post #1536 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks kemac, that was it. Lifextender.

I woudn't recommend the TV pack. The main two feature that is adds are support for QAM tuners (you don't need it because the HDHomerun already has a workaround) and if using OTA the addition of subchannels (without the TVPack you have no access to subchannels). On the con side, I had issues with performance (when watching an HD channel and bringing up the guide it would start chugging along) and the end menu wouldn't show up any longer (when you press stop or a program ends I no longer got the menu to restart or delete or just press done). They also changed the file extension on recordings thus breaking all plugins that worked with the previous file extension. Some of these issues may have been worked around but I am not sure. Also, there is no uninstall once the tvpack has been installed. You can go back by using a restore point (make sure you create one before hand) but it is not always successful.
post #1537 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
You can use VMC, VMC with TV Pack, MCE 2005, Win7 and other programs like those listed above. VMC with TV Pack, or Win7 is probably the best way to go, since you'll have native QAM support. But, as long as you can follow the instructions on the Silicon website, you could use any of the above. I currently use my HD Homerun off a home network, using VMC (non TV Pack).

HD Homerun is a great device!
post #1538 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Why don't people talk about using the HD Homerun supplied/supported software?

I have installed it (a HD HOmerun branded version of Total Media) but admit that I rarely use it for HD Homerun playback (MyHD for that on computer) or scheduling/DVR/Season Pass (CWEPG for me).
post #1539 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Why don't people talk about using the HD Homerun supplied/supported software?

I think for the most part, because it was only included recently with the HDHomeRun (maybe Q2 or Q3 '08) and by that time, people already have the HDHomeRun working quite well with other software.
post #1540 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Supplied software??? What supplied software...The only thing I got was the driver setup and the ability to stream to vlc, that is it. I just checked on their website and there is no mention of any supplied software just a laundry list of "software compatability".
post #1541 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The web site list Totalmedia DVR software under Software in the Specifications section. I just received my second HDHR and it did come with the software. If you were an early adoptor they didn't include this software initially.
post #1542 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It is not easily found but TotalMedia must be downloaded through the HDHomeRun Setup application, click this link for details.

Quote:

Supplied software??? What supplied software...The only thing I got was the driver setup and the ability to stream to vlc, that is it. I just checked on their website and there is no mention of any supplied software just a laundry list of "software compatability".

post #1543 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You get a license for TotalMedia with your HDHomeRun. When I bought mine, HDHomeRun-compatible TotalMedia was still in beta stages and didn't really work with QAM so I didn't bother with it. Don't know how limited the TotalMedia version is or how the interface works.
post #1544 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

I also have PowerDVD 8 Ultra on my HTPC. Can I load Totalmedia DVR software also and use one or the other as I choose? Is this a full license?

I use PDVD 8 for all DVD playback especially SD disc upconversion. I just wish I could get VMC to automatically load the standard DVD file in PDVD when I select a disc in "My Movies" VMC! It automatically loads when selecting a Bluray but plays an SD disc in the VMC player.

post #1545 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM

It does look like it's the full version of TotalMedia 3.5:
http://www.arcsoft.com/public/press_detail.asp?prID=212

post #1546 of 1966 Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

I went ahead and downloaded it (thanks for the link), installed it and it seems to work fine. While it is better than nothing, it can't compete with media center. They are not in the same class. It uses titantv as the EPG therefore you have to create an account with them and I didn't see any options for setting up series recordings and all the advanced TIVO like features (I am guessing these would have to be setup on titanTV).
post #1547 of 1966 Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I went ahead and downloaded it (thanks for the link), installed it and it seems to work fine. While it is better than nothing, it can't compete with media center. They are not in the same class. It uses titantv as the EPG therefore you have to create an account with them and I didn't see any options for setting up series recordings and all the advanced TIVO like features (I am guessing these would have to be setup on titanTV).

So I should just use VMC and not waste my time with the Totalmedia software correct? Then I can just install whatever plugins I want with it.

post #1548 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM

hey guys

i just bought the HDHR and trying to get it to work...i dont have any experience in this, so please help if you can figure out what i am doing wrong...

i have connected the HDHR to one of the open ports in my router. I have digital HD and internet from Comcast and i just took the coax cable that is going into my modem, and attached a splitter and connected one end of the splitter to the HDHR...

when i scan now, i am not getting anything? am i doing something wrong? i know the the cable jack in the wall works for internet. is the splitter the problem?

thanks!
post #1549 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed75 View Post

So I should just use VMC and not waste my time with the Totalmedia software correct? Then I can just install whatever plugins I want with it.

Yes, don't even bother with Totalmedia. VMC is all you need along with some really nice plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post

hey guys

i just bought the HDHR and trying to get it to work...i dont have any experience in this, so please help if you can figure out what i am doing wrong...

i have connected the HDHR to one of the open ports in my router. I have digital HD and internet from Comcast and i just took the coax cable that is going into my modem, and attached a splitter and connected one end of the splitter to the HDHR...

when i scan now, i am not getting anything? am i doing something wrong? i know the the cable jack in the wall works for internet. is the splitter the problem?

thanks!

No, you did it right. The only thing I can think of is that you said that you connected one end of the splitter to the HDHR. The HDHR has two tuners if you only connected one tuner, you might be using the other tuner to scan and therefore not getting anything. You can individually select what tuner to use by clicking on the drop down box. One tuner will have a number like this (XXXXXXX-0 and the other will be XXXXXXX-1).
post #1550 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM

I just received mine last night. I've connected it and I'm going to load the software at lunch today but just noticed something in the manual. It says that I can't mix (setup) the off air (antenna) tuner and a cable tuner in VMC. Is this true? That's how I was planning to do it but from the manual it looks like if I'm using VMC that I'll have to hook both tuners up to the same antenna or cable source. One or the other. Is this correct?

post #1551 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

VMC (without TVPack) does not support QAM (cable) so as far as it is concerned all digital tuners are hooked up to an antenna. The HDHR created a workaround to fool VMC in seeing what in reality is a QAM (cable) into a ATSC (antenna) signal. Initially the HDHR software (drivers) would not allow you to split the two inputs (it was both cable or both antenna). It doesn't look like this issue has been fixed, as far as VMC is concerned, both tuners are hooked up to an antenna and it works just fine.

One quick question. Why not hook both tuner to cable? Just use a splitter.
post #1552 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

One quick question. Why not hook both tuner to cable? Just use a splitter.

I guess I just wanted to test it out as I'm considering dropping cable but wanted to see what I pick up on both and compare.

So are you saying that HDhomerun will fake out VMC into seeing the signals as antenna signals now or it will not?

post #1553 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, don't even bother with Totalmedia. VMC is all you need along with some really nice plugins.

No, you did it right. The only thing I can think of is that you said that you connected one end of the splitter to the HDHR. The HDHR has two tuners if you only connected one tuner, you might be using the other tuner to scan and therefore not getting anything. You can individually select what tuner to use by clicking on the drop down box. One tuner will have a number like this (XXXXXXX-0 and the other will be XXXXXXX-1).

thanks for your response. i dont think that is the problem, because i went in and disable tuner 0...any other thoughts?
post #1554 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

VMC (without TVpack) only supports antenna. If using cable the HDHR with wrap the signal coming from the cable so that it appears as it is coming from an antenna to VMC so yes, it is faking out VMC.

Don't get too concerned about this (it really isn't important and it doesn't change the quality of the signal). It is all done in the background and there is nothing that you have to do. Just follow the instructions for installation.
post #1555 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post

thanks for your response. i dont think that is the problem, because i went in and disable tuner 0...any other thoughts?

When you say you are not getting anything do you mean that there is no signal on any QAM channel (red color) during the scanning process or that it can't find any clear QAM channels (green color). You should be able to see a lot of channels most of which are encrypted but you should see the signal strength and quality regardless.

Also, how do you know you didn't connect the coax to tuner 0? (Trying to be devils advocate).
post #1556 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Don't get too concerned about this (it really isn't important and it doesn't change the quality of the signal). It is all done in the background and there is nothing that you have to do. Just follow the instructions for installation.

I didn't think it would affect the quality I just wondered how it worked to see if I can use one tuner on cable and one on off-air antenna and be able to use VMC.

The other thing was to compare how many channels I receive off-air as compared to what I pick up on cable.

post #1557 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Most of the time you will get more channels from cable. OTA signals can be problematic depending on how far you live from the transmitters and how big your antenna is and what obsticles are in the way. Plus VMC (without TV pack) does not support sub-channels. If you have a choice, go with cable.
post #1558 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

So I went home for lunch and set up the software, channels and VMC with cable (we have the HD chs.) on tuner 0 and an antenna on tuner 1. Ran the software and detected 8 chs. on the antenna and quite a few more of course on cable. Set up VMC and all the cable chs. work but even though the antenna chs. even show me the call letters and what should be on, the screen is blank for those but the cable chs. work fine. For a test I'll have to hook up the antenna to both tuners and retune the chs. and see if I get a picture. The signal strength is great so that's not the problem. Maybe I really can't mix the antenna and cable?

The cable chs. really don't look high def though. Definitely not like the the set top HD DVR looks. No natural wide screen and it appears in VMC that you can only select stereo not surround! Am I missing a setting that will pick up the HD stations?

I never play DVD's in VMC because they look so bad compared to PDVD 8 Ultra. Is it just that the VMC player is so bad? I went through the settings again and couldn't find anything to improve the situation.

post #1559 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

ok - follow-up question...so now i am able to tune into a bunch of channels...but most are SD and there is only 1 HD channel - i think it was PBS...whats up with that? how do i get more HD channels?

i also have a comcast digital DVR box (in a different part of the house) and receive all hd channels...so what is going on? do i have to enable that particular outlet? do i have to call comcast?
post #1560 of 1966 Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

No, there is nothing to enable. You need to find out what channels Comcast has in the "clear" (not encrypted) in your area. If the channels are encrypted then you can't get them (that is why you have to have a DVR box, its main job is to decrypt all channels you are paying for). The HDHomerun cannot decrypt encrypted channels. The only HD channels that comcast is required to leave "in the clear" (not encrypt) is your locals (the same ones you can get if you used an antenna).

It's kind of strange that you get a bunch of SD channels. Those are usually encrypted. For example in my area (san antonio, tX) time warner encrypts everything except for my local HD stations (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, mynetwork and PBS).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page