Which DivX program - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm looking at Divx programs and ran across Dr.DivX 2.0.0 and DivX6.4. So is one better than the other ?

http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-03-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Divx 6.4 is the codec, Dr.Divx is a graphical program that helps you set up the parameters and then encodes using the divx codec.
You can use many different programs to do the encoding using Divx codec, Dr. Divx is just one of them. Some are more amateur friendly with lots of automated features, some are more for power users who know quite a lot and like to set up each parameter themselves.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Divx 6.4 is the codec, Dr.Divx is a graphical program that helps you set up the parameters and then encodes using the divx codec.
You can use many different programs to do the encoding using Divx codec, Dr. Divx is just one of them. Some are more amateur friendly with lots of automated features, some are more for power users who know quite a lot and like to set up each parameter themselves.

Thanks for the reply. So DivX is a form of Mpeg4 right? Is Nero recode pretty much the same as DivX then?
post #4 of 17 Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nero Recode uses a different encoder than divx (ateme h264 I think). You can encode a better or comparable looking movie in half the file size. IMO you should start using something like Recode or meGUI http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MeGUI if you're just making movies for playback on a PC.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-05-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarretth View Post

Nero Recode uses a different encoder than divx (ateme h264 I think). You can encode a better or comparable looking movie in half the file size. IMO you should start using something like Recode or meGUI http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MeGUI if you're just making movies for playback on a PC.

So does DivX, H.264 and Nero recode allow 5.1 ?
post #6 of 17 Old 11-05-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nero Recode does 5.1, the Divx encoder does too I believe. Neither one of those is free, but they are both quite easy to use. I use Nero Recode, it's a quick, point and click solution. The more hardcore types use X264 and Megui or something similar.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the info.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

That's true to a point, but since about Divx 5.0, there has been a utility called Divx Converter in some of the packages that can do remedial conversions all by itself. Its literally drag and drop but also has some settings capability. I have used it sometimes because it seems to be pretty good at making the result h/w Standalone compatible.

Another option is Gordian Knot, and yet another is struggling for a little while with the separate tools (DGIndex, Avisynth, VirtualDubMod, etc.) and do it the old fashioned way, manually
post #9 of 17 Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Dr. DivX 2.0 is available for free at http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX

The DivX bundle currently available for download from http://www.divx.com/divx/ is different. The bundle includes
  • DivX "Community" Codec 6.4
  • DivX "Pro" Codec 6.4
  • DivX Player 6.4
  • DivX Web Player 1.2.0
  • DivX Converter 6.2
The Players are free. The Converter and the Pro Codec are trial versions. You'll have to pay to keep using them past 15 days. However, you can use Dr. DivX instead of Converter and you can use the Community Codec instead of Pro for as long as you'd like.

If you're doing a lot of encoding, I'd recommend buying the Pro codec. It's faster and offers higher quality than the Community codec. It's faster because it can take advantage of hyperthreaded and dual core processors while the Community codec doesn't. The Pro codec also offers higher quality settings that are unavailable on the Community version.

While the Converter is simple to use, it doesn't offer near the flexibility of Dr. DivX. The Doctor can seem complicated at first, but it really produces nice results. As mentioned earlier, you can use other programs like VirtualDub with the DivX codecs (both Pro and Community). I've tried a few. In my experience Dr. DivX is the easiest way to get the most out of the DivX codec.

I've tried other codecs like XviD, H.264, and Windows Media. For me, it comes down to the tools. Dr. DivX with the Pro codec is the fastest, easiest, best quality combination I've found despite the fact that H.264 is theoretically a better codec. I don't use the highest bitrates or the insane quality settings but I still get videos that look fantastic on my 50" HDTV. For example, a 42 minute episode of Lost looks very nice at 700 kbps, 720x400 resolution, yet weighs in at only 272 MB.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrantz View Post

Dr. DivX 2.0 is available for free at http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX

The DivX bundle currently available for download from http://www.divx.com/divx/ is different. The bundle includes
  • DivX "Community" Codec 6.4
  • DivX "Pro" Codec 6.4
  • DivX Player 6.4
  • DivX Web Player 1.2.0
  • DivX Converter 6.2
The Players are free. The Converter and the Pro Codec are trial versions. You'll have to pay to keep using them past 15 days. However, you can use Dr. DivX instead of Converter and you can use the Community Codec instead of Pro for as long as you'd like.

If you're doing a lot of encoding, I'd recommend buying the Pro codec. It's faster and offers higher quality than the Community codec. It's faster because it can take advantage of hyperthreaded and dual core processors while the Community codec doesn't. The Pro codec also offers higher quality settings that are unavailable on the Community version.

While the Converter is simple to use, it doesn't offer near the flexibility of Dr. DivX. The Doctor can seem complicated at first, but it really produces nice results. As mentioned earlier, you can use other programs like VirtualDub with the DivX codecs (both Pro and Community). I've tried a few. In my experience Dr. DivX is the easiest way to get the most out of the DivX codec.

I've tried other codecs like XviD, H.264, and Windows Media. For me, it comes down to the tools. Dr. DivX with the Pro codec is the fastest, easiest, best quality combination I've found despite the fact that H.264 is theoretically a better codec. I don't use the highest bitrates or the insane quality settings but I still get videos that look fantastic on my 50" HDTV. For example, a 42 minute episode of Lost looks very nice at 700 kbps, 720x400 resolution, yet weighs in at only 272 MB.

I'll give it a try.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-08-2006, 08:12 PM

Liked: 11
If I install Nero, some of my XviD files have sync issues when played in MCE.

I only use the FULL version of KLITE codec (which includes everything you need)

Here's the rest of my setup

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #12 of 17 Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM

I've been using the newest version Nero Recode for my movies. I aim for about 1.5GB per movie using the Nero AVC codec with the quality turned all the way up. On my E6400 running at 3ghz it takes about 2 to 2.5hrs to do one movie.

They play great on my HTPC, AC3Filter/FFdshow output the AAC 5.1 to AC3.

So far i've taken over 113 (over 400GB) movies down to about 150GB. 261 (1.2TB) to go.

For series DVD's i'm using AutoGK (Xvid) and get them down to about 150mb per 1/2 hour episode. I've got alot of thoes to do...
post #13 of 17 Old 11-08-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TType85 View Post

I've been using the newest version Nero Recode for my movies. I aim for about 1.5GB per movie using the Nero AVC codec with the quality turned all the way up. On my E6400 running at 3ghz it takes about 2 to 2.5hrs to do one movie.

They play great on my HTPC, AC3Filter/FFdshow output the AAC 5.1 to AC3.

So far i've taken over 113 (over 400GB) movies down to about 150GB. 261 (1.2TB) to go.

For series DVD's i'm using AutoGK (Xvid) and get them down to about 150mb per 1/2 hour episode. I've got alot of thoes to do...

Why do you swap encoders for the tv series? Have you tried comparing both encoders?
post #14 of 17 Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post

Why do you swap encoders for the tv series? Have you tried comparing both encoders?

I did not like how nero handled animated series DVD's and Xvid is faster. Xvid in cartoon mode looked much better viewing on a 32" LCD running at native resolution. It also only takes about 30 min for a 30 min episode.

By going with Nero I could probably drop the size of the file though. I will have to try it out on some live action tv shows.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all,
Well I now getting to the point where I have to convert recorded HD programs to some other codec. These recorded shows are about 9GB in size. Once I edit out the commericals, the size of each recorded should be about 7 GB of MPEG2.

So in using the Divx Convertor how far do you guys think I can shrink the size of the shows and not loose much quality?

I now have a 32 inch display, but am buiding another Vista-MCE machine after christmas to go on the big 46 inch HDTV in our TV room. The 46 inch accepts 1080i inputs.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #16 of 17 Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Embry View Post

Once I edit out the commericals, the size of each recorded should be about 7 GB of MPEG2.

So in using the Divx Convertor how far do you guys think I can shrink the size of the shows and not loose much quality?

It all depends on how picky you are about the quality of your encodes. Personally, I'm not that picky and I like small files. I'll use Dr. DivX to convert a 45 minute episode from a 720x405 DVD down to about 250MB at 700kbps. That's a pretty low bitrate but I find it still looks damn good on a 50" 720p TV even during action sequences.

You might want to run bitrates up to 1300 or even higher for 1080 sources. That will of course double the size of the files and I personally don't appreciate the extra detail but that's just me. Anything more than 480p just feels excessive to me, but there are some DVD players available for less than $300 that will play DivX HD videos in 720 and 1080.

Dr. DivX: http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX
DivX HD players: http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=7
post #17 of 17 Old 02-08-2007, 03:58 PM

I finally found something for Vista MCE
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...22#post9725422

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page