PowerDVD Horizontal Banding - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2000, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using the latest version of PowerDVD for the past few weeks mostly successfully. It has been much more reliable and less jerky than WinDVD 1.3.

However, I've been noticing an artifact lately that has probably been there all along. Today I definitely confirmed it with The Cider House Rules.

It shows up as a horizontal banding effect. The bands are WIDE. On a 52" high screen they are about 2" tall, about 20 or 30 bands to the screen. The bands are not actually the problem. There is a one or two pixel tall gap between the bands where the image is slightly darker. This problem shows up most on large bright areas, especially with a slight gradation of brightness.

It's not my projector, because I immediately switched to the same scene on WinDVD and it was fine.

For reference, I'm using a geForce256 card, 1280x720 in fullscreen (zoom) mode projecting through a Barco 808s CRT projector onto a 52x92" screen. Hardware motion compensation support is turned on.

Anybody else seen this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2000, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Jim,

When you say that you are using the latest version of PowerDVD, which version is that exactly? I noticed the same banding effects that you have mentioned when I used earlier versions of PowerDVD, but those artifacts disappeared with version 2.55 and the subsequent build 0620. I don't have Cider House Rules, but if we can find a title that we have in common, I will be glad to check it out on my system.

Bob
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2000, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob,

I have the same version you have. I've only had it a few weeks. Bought it on CD from DigitalConnection. I'm pretty sure there's no later update.

I've seen this effect on quite a few different DVD's, but it's very subtle. It's hard to miss once you're looking for it. I would suspect a bad scaling algorithm, but I'm using the standard full-screen zoom mode. Maybe the 16:9 aspect ratio is confusing it?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2000, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I checked this again last night and definitely confirmed the problem. Isn't anybody else seeing this?

One odd thing. I paused the movie on a scene that clearly showed the horizontal bands. I tried to take a screen capture in PowerDVD, but it wouldn't capture for some reason. There were no errors, but nothing was placed onto the clipboard. I know I have been able to take screen shots before with PowerDVD, so I don't know what the problem was.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page