Xbox 360 HD DVD Addon -- Works on an HTPC!? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On a side note... anyone have a solution for using that snazzy remote, that came with the drive, on XP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Not trying to be a stickler or party pooper but you guys need to tone down the talk of illegally downloading and such. things like that can get this thread locked pretty fast.

- Josh

Agreed. Pay for the software.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #273 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonshope View Post

On a side note... anyone have a solution for using that snazzy remote, that came with the drive, on XP?

My MCE remote seems to crontrol the XBOX 360.

So, perhaps the XBOX 360 HD DVD Remote will work with the MCE Remotes Receiver/Blaster

I should add, this is with Windows XP Pro, not MCE. I happen to use the MCE Remote and Receiver for use with other media programs. Windows XP MCE is NOT required
post #274 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

You could likely use a USB-UIRT and some programmable package with it.

post #275 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM

I think it's pretty clear that everyone wants to pay for the software. That's not the issue. the issue is they wont sell the software.
post #276 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM

thanks for the feedback on the remote. I'll look into those options.
post #277 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonshope View Post

I think it's pretty clear that everyone wants to pay for the software. That's not the issue. the issue is they wont sell the software.

agreed! many here have gone so far as to pay $70+ for windvd even tho it doesn't even completely work (out of the box anyway). we just want some software to go with the hardware.
post #278 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Agreed. Pay for the software.

I don't want free software. I want to pay for the JP version of WinDVD8 Platinum, but I couldn't understand JP. Anyway, thank you for the instruction to order JP WinDVD. I'll order it tonight. I was hoping to get the PowerDVD at Eng website, but I guess I have to stick to JP version of WinDVD8 Platinum.
post #279 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 PM

Does anybody know if you purchase the japan version of windvd 8 if that serial number will then work in a US version if/when it is released? I know it's a stretch but maybe someone close to intervideo could answer it.
post #280 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

I don't want free software. I want to pay for the JP version of WinDVD8 Platinum, but I couldn't understand JP. Anyway, thank you for the instruction to order JP WinDVD. I'll order it tonight. I was hoping to get the PowerDVD at Eng website, but I guess I have to stick to JP version of WinDVD8 Platinum.

ARG..... Some ppl's kids I tell ya!!!!! did you even bother reading the other threads out there or bother reding this thread from page one?

anyways: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751319

read that thread right there. From that thread there is a link to detailed instructions on how to go about ordering the software: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8871286

You can't use a free based email address (IE gmail, yahoo, msn, ect...) I had to use my work email address to get it to work.

Also the emails they send you, you can use a Translation tool built into your email client (if your using firefox's thunderbird or outlook)

You don't need to read Japanese to oder the software, I don't know it and I mangage to do it just fine.

Quote:
agreed! many here have gone so far as to pay $70+ for windvd even tho it doesn't even completely work (out of the box anyway). we just want some software to go with the hardware.

There IS, Let me repeat, there IS software that is out there, that you can purchase to get it to work. The only downside is that its a little crippled.

You have to realize that the Xbox 360 drive wasn't really intended for use on a PC, I am sure that M$ knew it was possible, but Intervidio and Cyberlink is not responsible for releasing software for a drive that wasn't intended for PC use.

Give it some time, get the Japanese version, live with that if you want HD DVD on your pc so bad, and wait till a better solution comes along.

Quote:

Its not the fact they won't sell it, its the fact that is more than likely isn't prime time yet. The versions of Cyberlink Powerdvd 6.6 for BD playback is still OEM beta sofware, it is far from being prime time.

Then you've got the Japanese version of WinDVD, the only reason they have it is that BD and HD DVD equipment have been on the market there LONG before we have had it. Wait till more and more HD DVD drives, "real" PC drives get relesed and then you'll see WinDVD, PowerDVD and Nero's Showtime support the playback.

You all have to realize what is going on here, is something that wasn't initially intended on. This is hack and you all know it. You can't expect the world to revolve around our little niche group here.

- Josh
post #281 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM

Trying to put my effort in to try to get things working:

I've tried to get HD-DVD to playback with PowerDVD BD 6.0 and PowerDVD BD 6.6 (Build 3307a) with no luck so far. I have a feeling it's just a matter of editing the install.ini files properly to enable HD Support in the software, editing the registery will probably also be required. The installer has a 'BDROM.reg' with various registry entries for settings about BR disc playback. I'll be able to have another look at this in the evening ... wish me luck

~T
post #282 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM

Oh,

I also contact Cyberlink Support asking when HD/BD versions would be made available to the public, or if it was possible to join a beta test, and this is what they came back with.

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Customer Support.

In regard to your issue, we regret to say that currently we do not have any version of PowerDVD that supports HD/BR DVD's however Product Development Department is working and will soon release a new build of PowerDVD that will be compatible with HD/BR and currently we do not have any update from the concern department when that version of PowerDVD will be launched.

We will update you as soon as we get any update from our concern department.

Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for immediate response for your further queries:

index.jsp

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank you and best regards

~T
post #283 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 PM

Here is a 'Readme' file for the 6.6 BD version of PowerDVD if it interests anyone.

Readme.zip 4.8173828125k . file

~T
post #284 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have a feeling it won't work. That's why WinDVD is good in this case... you get both versions with the menu structures, etc; The BD stand alone version of Cyberlink won't give you any of that.

post #285 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Cyberlink is known for including all versions in one installer, it's just a matter of ini options / registry settings.

Though being that this is new technology they may have completely seperated setups

~T
post #286 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 03:22 PM

has anyone tried Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0 Build 2211a?

trueimage
post #287 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post

has anyone tried Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0 Build 2211a?

Unless it is Cyberlink PowerDVD HD-DVD v6.*/v7.* you won't have much luck I think.

also, anyone interested in some live chat on the subject is welcome to goto irc.efnet.net /j #HDDVD ...

~T
post #288 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

You have to realize that the Xbox 360 drive wasn't really intended for use on a PC, I am sure that M$ knew it was possible, but Intervidio and Cyberlink is not responsible for releasing software for a drive that wasn't intended for PC use.

They are not supposed to release software for a specific drive. They are supposed to release software to support a format. Xbox 360 drive has a TSST drive which is a standard HD DVD ROM reader. Whatever HD DVD playback software they have is supposed to work with that drive, regardless of the fact it's placed in an external USB enclosure which is manufactured by Microsoft. And yes indeed, WinDVD 8 HD works with it, but it's crippled. I want a non-crippled, full rez outputting solution, and I'm prepared to pay for it. In fact, I already did pay for it by purchasing WinDVD 8 BD/HD. I guess the joke's on me, because I didn't read Intervideo's announcement about self-inflicted downrezzing. Oh wait, that announcement does not exist.

Quote:

Then you've got the Japanese version of WinDVD, the only reason they have it is that BD and HD DVD equipment have been on the market there LONG before we have had it.

Definitely not so. Japanese consumers are in the same situation as us Westerners when it comes to PC solutions. Blu-ray has been around longer, but only in the form of stand-alone recorders that are incompatible with current Blu-ray movie discs.

Quote:

Wait till more and more HD DVD drives, "real" PC drives get relesed and then you'll see WinDVD, PowerDVD and Nero's Showtime support the playback.

Those "real" PC drives will have the same components and come from the same TSST factory as the drive in the Xbox add-on. Intervideo and Cyberlink both have software applications right now that are able to play HD DVDs at full HD resolution. The reason they haven't released those yet has nothing to do with the amount of drives available and all to do with the fact that they are scared to death of AACS LA.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #289 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

They are not supposed to release software for a specific drive. They are supposed to release software to support a format. Xbox 360 drive has a TSST drive which is a standard HD DVD ROM reader. Whatever HD DVD playback software they have is supposed to work with that drive, regardless of the fact it's placed in an external USB enclosure which is manufactured by Microsoft. And yes indeed, WinDVD 8 HD works with it, but it's crippled. I want a non-crippled, full rez outputting solution, and I'm prepared to pay for it. In fact, I already did pay for it by purchasing WinDVD 8 BD/HD. I guess the joke's on me, because I didn't read Intervideo's announcement about self-inflicted downrezzing. Oh wait, that announcement does not exist.

Definitely not so. Japanese consumers are in the same situation as us Westerners when it comes to PC solutions. Blu-ray has been around longer, but only in the form of stand-alone recorders that are incompatible with current Blu-ray movie discs.

Those "real" PC drives will have the same components and come from the same TSST factory as the drive in the Xbox add-on. Intervideo and Cyberlink both have software applications right now that are able to play HD DVDs at full HD resolution. The reason they haven't released those yet has nothing to do with the amount of drives available and all to do with the fact that they are scared to death of AACS LA.

ARG..... What I ment by the whole damn thing is that WAIT UNTIL PC Drives are relased in the wild. Once those drives are you is when Cyberlink and Intervideo will start releasing their software.

The 360 drive wasn't intended for PC use so WHY? would you expect them to have the software ready?

It has nothing to do with AACS, the fact is why release a software package NOW when no one can use it on the HD DVD side. Cyberlink is already sending copies out OEM style with BD drives and with a patch supports full rez, say with the laptops they have patches for full rez as well. I don't see AACS holding it back I see lack of hardware sales holding it back, simple as that.

- Josh
post #290 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 04:46 PM

i was wondering if anyone here hasn't successfully gotten their pc to recognize the 360 hd-dvd drive? running mce 05 sp2, i've got nero 7 installed - with inCD, i've also got the toshiba drivers, and the japanese verison of windvd8 - and the drive is being detected as a mouse (yeah... i don't know either...) i tried it on another machine and it popped right up - any ideas?????
post #291 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtnoise View Post

i was wondering if anyone here hasn't successfully gotten their pc to recognize the 360 hd-dvd drive? running mce 05 sp2, i've got nero 7 installed - with inCD, i've also got the toshiba drivers, and the japanese verison of windvd8 - and the drive is being detected as a mouse (yeah... i don't know either...) i tried it on another machine and it popped right up - any ideas?????

Did you try forcing an uninstall of the drive (mouse ) in device manager while it's plugged in? Then have it do a re-detect. I've seen that work on other USB devices.
post #292 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Remove the addon from your machine.

Try clearing your inf cache of oem*.inf

they're located here for a typical windows xp install.

C:\\windows\\inf

install the UDF driver mentioned earlier in the thread or on the FAQ page.

plug the addon into your machine on a root port no hubs etc.

Hope that works for you.

Also it's not USB1 you're trying to plug into is it? or USB1 hub on a USB2 port etc.?
post #293 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 04:57 PM

nope, no dice, comes back as a mouse...
post #294 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM

wow... if i were to tell you guys what i had actually been doing you'd laugh your asses off... thanks for the help tho!
post #295 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM

we need some laugh here........
post #296 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Long time reader, first time poster, angry HD consumer over here (you have 3 guesses why)

Test System:

AMD X2 3800+
ATI 1950XTX
Catalyst Drivers 6.10
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW Monitor (1680x1050)
Sony KDS-A2000 (1920x1080)
WinDVD Japanese version 7.5 B42.052

From my experience so far with the X-box add-on and WinDVD 8 Japanese here are my findings and questions:

- It works (heh, go figure). As many people here had as examples systems built around Nvidia hardware, I can say it works with an ATI 1950XTX very well. Of course same half the resolution and all the rest. As there is no way to activate any hardware acceleration I get something between 57-75% CPU load while playing King Kong. (how high does that VC-1 stream go? 26Mbps?)

- How does it work from a hardware point of view? The 1950XTX ATI card is a dual DVI, dual-link, HDCP, you-name-it card. Both my Samsung monitor and my Sony TV are HDCP compliant (that's why I spent a truckload of money). Findings: playback works on either DVI port, with any kind of cable (DVI-2-DVI for Samsung, DVI-2-HDMI 10 ft RCA cable for Sony). But not at the same time. If WinDVD even detects that both of them are active it won't play anything, displaying the now welcomed message "Your configuration doesn't. bla-bla-bla". After shutting down the Sony I actually have to wait to be completely off (the fan at the back turns off) to be able to play something on my Samsung monitor.

- How does it play from a software point of view? Feature-wise - like crap. Or maybe is just mebut tell me if you can get U-Control to work, if you can get the subtitles to work (better than super-erratic), or if you can navigate through the menus with anything else than a keyboard! (no mouse interaction whatsoever). Not even the "remote control" panel in WinDVD can navigate through the menus! And what's with the sound? Is it just me (again) or I chose English DD5.1+ and I hear everything the movie, the comments, one on top of each other without any way of separating them. What the heck's wrong here?!?

- Installation of the Jap. WinDVD8 makes 2 folders one for WinDVD8 normal, SD player and one for WinDVD8 HD. Haven't had time to test but if the install is run one more time and this time you choose BD, is it possible to end up with both players, HD-DVD and BD? Probably not if the files in "Common files" folder or somewhere else get replaced with different version with the same name but maybe there is something we can work on here (without the software abstraction layers for isolating application that I read somewhere, probably in this forum).

- I paid ~75USD for a piece of software that beside its novelty could be easily categorized between crap and junk. I know this has been asked before but I feel like making the point again: if the serial won't work with the WinDVD US version when it's going to be released (February 2010 probably), or worse, if they'll release a separate package for HD-DVD and BD on top of the current WinDVD 8 release, and that package being an add-on won't have anything to do with the serial of the Jap. WinDVD we bought - we're screwed one more time!
post #297 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydream View Post

- I paid ~75USD for a piece of software that beside its novelty could be easily categorized between crap and junk. I know this has been asked before but I feel like making the point again: if the serial won't work with the WinDVD US version when it's going to be released (February 2010 probably), or worse, if they'll release a separate package for HD-DVD and BD on top of the current WinDVD 8 release, and that package being an add-on won't have anything to do with the serial of the Jap. WinDVD we bought - we're screwed one more time!

You bought a piece of S/W intended for the Japanese market and expect the serial number to work with the US version of the S/W? How is that being screwed?

If you want to be on the beyond bleeding edge of HD-DVD playback for HTPCs, you need to expect some grief.

If you want plug and play, wait a while.
post #298 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 07:13 PM

anyone having any luck / working on trying to get Toshiba HD DVD software working ?

~T
post #299 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM

Anyone want to give this a shot: "Your display invironment does not support protected content." JP version of WinDVD8 platinum tried to play King Kong through Xbox HD-DVD player.

So far I loaded the Toshiba driver and JP version of WinDVD8 Platinum. I tried several WinDVD8 patches but it all turns out as wrong version. Is there a proper patch or update to allow protected content?
post #300 of 2767 Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Unfortunately from my test it appears as though the Japan Retail version of WinDVD 8 Platinum needs a dedicated HDCP connection to play.

This connection worked fine with my Samsung 22" HDCP 225BW LCD on a Nvidia 7950 GX2 graphics card hooked to the DVI-D, but did not work on the VGA on my 225BW or my Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT.

The same error you noted was displayed each time I attempted to use the VGA. To my knowledge there is no patch available to correct this at the moment, however it has been noted that analog support is found in the yet to be released Cyberlink PowerDVD HD software.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

- Lily Tomlin
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page