Hello to all,
I tried also to play HD-DVD with my HTPC. What is interresting is that I tried with a single core
Pentium-M 760 CPU on a i915 M/B. I've updated the hardware configuration of my HTPC with the new following components :
- XBOX360's HD-DVD / DVD external drive from Microsoft (USB2)
- Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR3 HDMI PCI-E video card,
- 2x 512MB of Corsair TWINX XMS DDR2 PC6400C4 at 800MHz (4-4-4-12),
- ZALMAN CNPS7000B Al-Cu on the Pentium-M 2GHz to enable overclocking to 2.4GHz (160MHz x15).
- Video mode is set to 1080P48 using PowerStrip ("1920,123,40,86,1080,34,10,40,121070,528" Synchros H/V : +/+ ) that enable 121MHz pixelclock to get better picture on my G90
(my complete H/W configuration pictures is available : here
1] I first tried PowerDVD 6.5 HD-DVD edition on analog 20" iiyama monitor.
I used Cyberlink HD/BD advisor and reports all green (except CPU light which is orange). I use Catalyst 6.11 Display Drivers.
It plays very well at 1080P48 with very smooth travelings (w/o jaggies). I've tested Aeon Flux (US version) HD-DVD.
- CPU (@2.4GHz) loading is [70-100%] but NO dropped frames
- CPU thermal die report [50-63°C] (thanks for the Zalman running at 1900t/min.)
- Picture is great.
- PowerDVD 6.5 HD-DVD is a very bugged software as already stated here.
2] Then I tried to display the image on the G90 (through IFB-DVI (HDCP) input card) from the X1600Pro HDMI output... (I've disconnected the analog output from my iiyama monitor then)
Cyberlink HD/BD advisor reports report HDCP compatible display but WinXP starts to shut off the displays EVERY second and try to re-display desktop (displays continuously blinks then
). WinXP is slowing down during this infinite desktop blink until I disconnect HDMI cable ...
Then, I tried Catalyst 6.10 older drivers and it work nice with HDMI output now (no more display blinking ! )...
However, despite HD/BD advisor reports 'Digital display WITH
HDCP', HD-DVD movie playback with PowerDVD hang after 3 secondes and display that "this protected content cannot be displayed with non HDCP display card"
. After this message, the entire display become full of random pixels (I was forced to reset the HTPC since I can see anything on the desktop
After HTPC reboot HD/BD advisor reports 'Digital display with NO
Still something very buggy in those 6.9/6.10 ATI drivers for HDCP protocol part ! FYI, all my others HDCP sources works perfectly on my projector.
Any idea, guys ?
I hope that ATI will correct this in 6.12. I've issued a Ticket to (AMD) ATI support
Or maybe I missed something