Xbox 360 HD DVD Addon -- Works on an HTPC!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2767 Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're interested in HD DVD and are using Windows Vista, please take a moment to respond to this poll regarding full HD DVD integration into Vista Media Center.

Well, though it's not "officially" supported by Microsoft it is no secret that the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on will work quite well with a PC, providing you have a powerful enough system. All you really need in addition to the add-on is Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra, which you can purchase here to play HD DVD discs (some claim they have been able to purchase it for considerably less on eBay, so YMMV). Read PowerDVD Ultra's system requirements to make sure your HTPC is up to par. I recommend* a video card with a dedicated unified video decoder (UVD) such as ATI's 2400, 2600, 3400, 3600 and 3800 series . These will perform excellent VC-1 and AVC decoding** for you instead of relying more on the CPU. If you also want to enjoy games on the HTPC then go for a 3800 series card.

* Please note, I do not recommend ATI 2900 series cards as these do not have the UVD and will not offload VC-1 and AVC decoding.
** Read more about VC-1 and AVC decoding here and here. Click here for ATI HD2x00 HTPC Registry Tweaks (thanks ExDeus).

*** Before we continue you may be pleased to know that until February 28, 2008 you can receive 5 FREE HD DVD titles from Toshiba with the purchase of the XBox 360 HD DVD drive for a total of 6 as King Kong is already included in the box. This also applies to any Toshiba laptop pre-configured with an HD DVD drive or any Toshiba standalone HD DVD player. Details are here for American customers and here for Canadian customers. ***

Get HD DVD Up And Running

Getting HD DVD playback to work is fairly straightforward. Plug in the HD DVD add-on (USB 2.0 required), power it on, let Windows recognize the drive and install PowerDVD Ultra from Cyberlink. By the way, in addition to Windows XP (SP2) I can confirm that the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra works with both Vista x86 and Vista x64 as well. For Windows XP Microsoft has released a driver for the two "XBox 360 HD DVD Memory Unit" devices for Windows XP. Just run Windows Update. Vista will install drivers as well.

PowerDVD Ultra - Playback Tips

Below are a few tips in achieving the best possible quality with PowerDVD Ultra. Try to play an HD DVD after each step. Start off with a title encoded in VC-1, such as King Kong. Assuming that you are already running the latest build of PowerDVD Ultra and only have your primary display/monitor connected (no secondary):
  1. Set Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering settings to default/off in your video card's control panel
  2. Make sure your monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz, 72 Hz or 120 Hz only
  3. Uncheck Hardware Acceleration if it does not appear to be working on your system
  4. If enabled, turn off Video Enhancement
  5. Use the "Original" color profile only
  6. Set De-Interlacing Mode to "None" (Optional)
  7. Set Video Quality to "Best" (May increase CPU usage. While video is playing, Right-click -> Configuration -> Video -> Advanced -> Video Quality)
  8. Set Audio Output Mode to "No Effect"
Make sure that you don't have any other background processes running that may be eating up considerable CPU cycles. If you're not getting good playback then try downloading ReClock and turn "Force Reclock to be loaded in place of default DirectSound/Wave renderers" to ON and all other force settings to OFF.

Feel free to PM me with any additional tips or suggestions!

Vista Media Center

For Vista Media Center users, there is currently no integrated HD DVD playback solution within VMC at this time. There is a stop-gap solution, however, that has been posted here.

"I was very excited when Cyberlink released PowerDVD Ultra late last year. That was until I purchased it and installed it on my Vista Media Center only to find out that it didn't integrate into Media Center at all. Just inserting a HD DVD disk while the Media Center shell was up gave this error.

After the initial disappointment wore off I did some searching and found an Article by Peter Dampier on the Media Center Sandbox blog. This article was meant for companies like Cyberlink to show them how to register HD DVD (and blue ray) disks with Vista Media Center. I was still disappointed that there was no way to play back HD DVD movies directly in the Media Center shell but at least this blog posting showed how I could at least register HD DVD with Vista Media Center.

To accomplish this create an XML file with the code below in it.

Code:
If you installed PowerDVD to another location edit the path to match your system. Next from a command prompt (if you have user account control enabled make sure it's an elevated command prompt) and run C:\\Windows\\ehome\\RegisterMCEApp.exe /allusers , replace with the path and name to the XML file you created earlier.

Now when you insert a HD DVD disk with Vista Media Center in full screen mode, it will minimize and launch PowerDVD Ultra and begin playback of the disk.

Now, say you have a disk already inserted and you don't want to get up to re-insert it. Create a file named PowerDVD.mcl with the code below in it.

Code:
Again if you installed to a different location edit the file to point to your install. Move the file to C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Roaming\\Media Center Programs. If Media Center was running close it and re-open it and now in the more programs sections is a link to fire up PowerDVD Ultra."

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 AM

He's using Windows XP MCE 2K5. I think Vista should work also
post #3 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 AM

I have been trying to get this drive to function in Vista and also with MCE2005. In vista the drive is recognized and I can see files on it. I upgraded my Powerdvd software and it says that there is an unrecognized disk format in the drive. In MCE2005 it just does not work at all (I cannot get it to red the disk and it does not display the disks name in the MY computer window). I have tryed the Cyberlink software in MCE also but it indicates no disk in the drive. I know the drive and the movie disk works (I have used the xbox and tested). It seems that the Cyberlink software is a scam. Even their own software to detect readyness says that the software player is not compatable to run HD/DVD all of the other items it list are green!
post #4 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 AM

Sorry for the dual post!!!
I have been trying to get this drive to function in Vista and also with MCE2005. In vista the drive is recognized and I can see files on it. I upgraded my Powerdvd software and it says that there is an unrecognized disk format in the drive. In MCE2005 it just does not work at all (I cannot get it to red the disk and it does not display the disks name in the MY computer window). I have tryed the Cyberlink software in MCE also but it indicates no disk in the drive. I know the drive and the movie disk works (I have used the xbox and tested). It seems that the Cyberlink software is a scam. Even their own software to detect readyness says that the software player is not compatable to run HD/DVD all of the other items it list are green! Cyberlink does indicate that thier software includes the ablility to play HD/DVD.
post #5 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 AM

Reported from other thread, in MCE2k5 you need to install Nero 7 to get the driver for the Xbox HD-DVD drive. Can you play regular DVD in both MCE2k5 and Vista using the drive?
post #6 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM

No I havent tried that. Thanks for the info about the driver though! In MCE2005 it does seem that this could be the issue becuase I cannot open the drive at all in explorer. How ever I can open the drive in Vista 64 and see the file structure. I will try Nero later (since I am at work now). Thanks again. If anyone else has any Ideas please give! I am concerned that the Cyberlink readyness software points out that thier software is not compatable. I suposedly have the latest since I did an upgrade from Powerdvd XP to 7.? deluxe yesterday.
post #7 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdata View Post

I have been trying to get this drive to function in Vista and also with MCE2005. In vista the drive is recognized and I can see files on it. I upgraded my Powerdvd software and it says that there is an unrecognized disk format in the drive. In MCE2005 it just does not work at all (I cannot get it to red the disk and it does not display the disks name in the MY computer window). I have tryed the Cyberlink software in MCE also but it indicates no disk in the drive. I know the drive and the movie disk works (I have used the xbox and tested). It seems that the Cyberlink software is a scam. Even their own software to detect readyness says that the software player is not compatable to run HD/DVD all of the other items it list are green!

You most likely don't have a PowerDVD version that can playback HD-DVD:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/suppo...d=-1&nCateId=5
post #8 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 11:00 AM

I can't wait to find out if my 360 hd-dvd drive works with vista. Does anybody know where to get the Windvd 8 HD upgrade add-on? The trial download doesn't have it included. They mention that you can purchase the upgrade pack seperately but do not mention how or how much.
post #9 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM

joshbish
I have the latest DELUXE copy which I paid for yesterday and downloaded yesterday. I have posted this to make others who are thinking of this to beware!!!
As i stated even thier own readyness software shows this as not being compatable!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM

I have just spoken with a rep from Intervideo. He stated that HD Upgrade Pack will not be availible untill first quarter 2007. This realy sucks! I also looked more closely at the add for Cyberlink Power dvd 7 and found no reference to HD/DVD playback capability. I guess I was confused by the ablility to play HD content. HAS ANYONE SUCCSESSFULLY PLAYED BACK HD/DVD ON A PC?
post #11 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM

According to this post in French, it has successfully played back HD DVD on a PC Vista 64 bits & WMP 11:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...1155#170271463

Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Vista 64 bits RC2
P4 3.0 GHz dual core
1GB ram pc3200
Geforce 7800GS hdmi (hdcp)
SB audigy 2ZS
post #12 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielTS View Post

According to this post in French, it has successfully played back HD DVD on a PC Vista 64 bits & WMP 11:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...1155#170271463

Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Vista 64 bits RC2
P4 3.0 GHz dual core
1GB ram pc3200
Geforce 7800GS hdmi (hdcp)
SB audigy 2ZS

WMP11 shouldn't have the AACS decoding key. If the above is true, they might play HD DVD/self authored HD DVD which is not AACS protected.

Having said that, I don't believe this until confirmed by trustable site.

HDPLEX
post #13 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdata View Post

HAS ANYONE SUCCSESSFULLY PLAYED BACK HD/DVD ON A PC?

Toshiba has a laptop that plays HD DVDs, WinDVD 8 Platinum (available in japan) supposedly does.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #14 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Toshiba has a laptop that plays HD DVDs, WinDVD 8 Platinum (available in japan) supposedly does.

Someone with the laptop really needs to connect that add-on to see what happens!

HDPLEX
post #15 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Well the drive shows up as a Toshiba DVD/HD in Windows XP. Now I just need to find software....

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #16 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I can't wait till I can watch HD-DVD on my HTPC...

But,.. I'll have to anyway.

-Brian
post #17 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Read this post http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/148348.aspx. A poster claims to have this working, but he is using a downloaded Japanese version of WinDVD 8.

I'm currently running MCE2005RU2, PowerDVD 7, MCE is recognizing it has a Toshiba HD-DVD Drive, but no playback with PowerDVD 7. Can someone running WinDVD 8 please try the Japanese Version? I checked and it's a free upgrade.

If this truly works, I might be switching to WinDVD 8.

Dwight2001
post #18 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Here another success story.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8867577

Quote:

Amirm, Got my HD-DVD addon and my customers units today.

Wonderful job. Nice and fast the problems I saw at Digital Life are GONE.

BTW: Works great as a PC HD-DVD-R reader. (No Driver Needed)

The Cyberlink HD-DVD/Blu-Ray PC test software considers the drive a valid Hd-DVD drive. "THANK YOU" But at the cost of making a PC setup HDCP compliant it is just cheaper to get a Core XBOX360.
http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdl..._HD_Advisor.exe

post #19 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

Here another success story.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8867577

The HD-DVD-R are Data disks not movies. The disks were burned using a HD-DVD burner

Cyberlink has not released a general use HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player yet. (In USA)
post #20 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post

The HD-DVD-R are Data disks not movies. The disks were burned using a HD-DVD burner

Cyberlink has not released a general use HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player yet. (In USA)

You mean the beta / test version of cyberlink s/w plays movies but not the released versions ? BTW, any connection to Cyberlink ?

Quote:

The Cyberlink HD-DVD/Blu-Ray PC test software considers the drive a valid Hd-DVD drive. "THANK YOU" But at the cost of making a PC setup HDCP compliant it is just cheaper to get a Core XBOX360.

post #21 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds promising! Mine'll be here next Weds... and yes I do have HDCP, the latest Nvidia drivers and have WinDVD 7.5 from the .jp site.

-Josh Murrah
post #22 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man I should have paid the extra $20 and got the HDCP version of my 7900GS *kicks arse*

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #23 of 2767 Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 PM

I posted this over at thegreenbutton as well, but if you're using component or VGA do you need a HDCP card?
post #24 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobal View Post

I posted this over at thegreenbutton as well, but if you're using component or VGA do you need a HDCP card?

Probably not, since the Xbox 360 does not have HDCP. It would be bonus if it would even work over DVI since ICT isn't implemented yet and likely will not be for quite some time, but I think it all depends on what WinDVD8 needs as a requirement. Maybe HDCP is only for marketing and future-proofing?

post #25 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I think it all depends on what WinDVD8 needs as a requirement. Maybe HDCP is only for marketing and future-proofing

The WinDVD HD DVD edition that's currently out in Japan apparently checks for an HDCP video card and won't play unless it finds one. This is not strictly required by the AACS specifications, so it's unclear why they're doing it.

I seem to recall hearing reports that if you had an HDCP card you could output to VGA with a DVI-to-VGA converter... which seems even dumber, but is sort of a way around the restriction if you don't have an HDCP-compatible TV. Unfortunately, when asked for confirmation the person who posted that information never responded, so it's unclear if that was truth or speculation.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #26 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
vsv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

WMP11 shouldn't have the AACS decoding key. If the above is true, they might play HD DVD/self authored HD DVD which is not AACS protected.

Having said that, I don't believe this until confirmed by trustable site.

With WinDVD 8.0B06.072 Platinum possible to play HVDVD_TS from folder.
Authored by Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 using HDV mpeg2/ts source without reencoding.
But i have also installed on same PC: WinDVD6, Ulead Video Studio10+
and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5.

WinDVD 8.0.6.72 (115,63 MB)
_http://download.intervideo.com/windvd8/release/Enu/WinDVD8.exe
post #27 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The WinDVD HD DVD edition that's currently out in Japan apparently checks for an HDCP video card and won't play unless it finds one. This is not strictly required by the AACS specifications, so it's unclear why they're doing it.

According to some threads, even with an HDCP card it's still only playback back at 540p resolution.
post #28 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm trying to avoiud duplicate posting, so feel free to read my last post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8872426

I THINK I now have a hybrid player . I'd like to solve the 540p question though... is there a method to determine what the resolution is?

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #29 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 PM

Liked: 11
I was looking at the Windvd 8 trial, and if you click the 'i' in the title bar it will show the resolution. Whether that is showing the original resolution or the resolution it is outputting, I don't know.

There doesn't really seem to be a good way to find out since the video card would scale to overlay to whatever the desktop resolution is.
post #30 of 2767 Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

I'm trying to avoiud duplicate posting, so feel free to read my last post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8872426

I THINK I now have a hybrid player . I'd like to solve the 540p question though... is there a method to determine what the resolution is?

please post your Xbox HD-DVD HTPC related posts here so we can keep track. The other thread is so long now
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page