Should I upgrade from Win 98Se to Win 2K Prof? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2000, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
-Any idea if this will have any positive/negative effect on my HTPC?
-My Rig: Cel 500, 128 Meg Pc133 Sdram, Tyan MB, SB GamerX Soundcard, PowerDVD 2.55, Powerstrip, Creative DVD player, Pioneer Slot-loading DVD player, Pana G11 projector, Denon Avr 3300 receiver
Thanks in advance - Mase

Galatians 6:7-8:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-10-2000, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Mase:

___I will try to keep this short since I am a bit behind with the 2 days of vacation I just got back from http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

___Windows 2000 is a great OS for long term never boot stability but a poor multimedia OS for what we use an HTPC for today.

___First, there is the AC-3 pass-thru for DD/DTS sound issue. A few SC manufacturers are working it on and it will be fixed by MS’s release of SP2 for Win2K (Pro only possibly) but not in the next few weeks unfortunately.

___Second, there is the custom T&R question. Most of the HD FP owners need not worry about this given they can use std. and custom resolutions but for the HD RPTV types like myself, there is not the capability of using a custom Timing with the Windows 2000 Nvidia released drivers currently. A custom Timing (T) is needed to have our HTPC’s properly synch up with a HD (fixed frequency) RPTV currently. The beta Matrox drivers for the G400 as well as the 3Dfx latest cards and drivers have some custom T&R capability but the Nvidia cards have the best display. So is it a reboot every few days with Windows Millennium or Win98 SE to recover system resources or is it go without AC-3 pass-thru and not having a custom T&R capable setup for the best in class display with Windows 2000 currently? Windows 2000 does not win these 2 arguments in my opinion.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___ xcel@midwest.idsonline.com
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2000, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! Guees I'll stick witn Win98 SE for now.

Galatians 6:7-8:
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page