Semi-Official BD and HD DVD on an HTPC Configuration/Playback FAQ - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 910 Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper0 View Post

with HDCP isn't it true you have to turn the TV on first in most cases, then turn on the video from the PC?

i've heard numerous complaints about getting HDCP errors on their TV's when the PC was turned on first...

just a quick question, thanks in advance.

thats not the case for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 910 Old 08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
prosper0
Quote:

with HDCP isn't it true you have to turn the TV on first in most cases, then turn on the video from the PC?

Yes, that is quite commonly the best way to avoid HDCP issues with most HDMI source devices. It depends on if you have a switching device, though. If there is a switch, then not switching to the HDMI port with the device on it usually gets around the issue. I still don't have a PC with HDMI yet, so perhaps they are somewhat different. With HDCP issues, there are often strange and illogical possibilities!
post #723 of 910 Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM

How would I determine if my setup will work with buying the drive first? I have:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
MSI GeForce 85000 GT
2 GB DDR 400 Memory (4 x 512MB)

I'm worried about the processor not cutting it for playback. If it wouldn't, I'd basically have to get a new motherboard as it's a socket 939.

Any thoughts? Would I be able to do Blu-ray playback?
post #724 of 910 Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been discussed, but didnt see it through a search. Have the dual-format LG drive with an E8400 and a GeForce 9600GT, running Vista x64 and attempting to run WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray. Popped in an HD-DVD, starts playing, looks fantastic. Start up the feature, and the movie is squeezed horizontally (like an SD DVD that isnt being stretched properly). Funny thing is, the non-anamorphic SD special features are stretched out. Anyhow, if I turn off hardware acceleration, it plays back correctly...is there a way I can fix this to work with HA on? Thanks....
post #725 of 910 Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Liked: 18
Just wanted to post that my setup is working perfectly.

Athlon 4800+
ATI 4850 (DVI-HDMI cable)
Windows Vista Ultimate
Arcsoft Total Media Theater
HT Omega 7.1 sound card with coax
LG BluRay / HD-DVD drive
Vizio VS42LF 1080p

Works flawlessly. Sound card passes DD and DTS through etc.
post #726 of 910 Old 09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone found a blu-ray player that plays reliably from the hard drive? I have tried powerdvd 7 and 8, TMT, and nero showtime... and I'm all out of things to waste money on.
post #727 of 910 Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have been playing HD DVD discs through an external Xbox drive on my HTPC. I think it is time for a BD drive....I found an LG unit for under $150 on NewEgg. However, I think I need to put it into an enclosure with USB. Has anybody tried this...does it work...and can you recommend a good enclosure for external optical drives? It looks like I would need sata connectors inside the enclosure (the drive is sata); but I'd want to hook up the drive plus enclosure to the PC via USB.
post #728 of 910 Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I have been playing HD DVD discs through an external Xbox drive on my HTPC. I think it is time for a BD drive....I found an LG unit for under $150 on NewEgg. However, I think I need to put it into an enclosure with USB. Has anybody tried this...does it work...and can you recommend a good enclosure for external optical drives? It looks like I would need sata connectors.

I'm interested in this also, but due to distance (the external drive would be ~10' from the HTPC) I would need USB or firewire. I would think this would be possible, but I would like to get confirmation from someone who is actually doing this.

thanks,
Murray
post #729 of 910 Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 AM

Well, I just bought the $150 LG dual-format unit on Newegg you guys are talking about but I have it in my HTPC case.

Runs flawlessly with ArcSoft Total Media Theatre integrated in Windows Media Center (Vista Ultimate).

Daniel James
UnitedBreaks.FM
post #730 of 910 Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

I'm interested in this also, but due to distance (the external drive would be ~10' from the HTPC) I would need USB or firewire. I would think this would be possible, but I would like to get confirmation from someone who is actually doing this.

thanks,
Murray

Take a look into this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145051

Daniel James
UnitedBreaks.FM
post #731 of 910 Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llars View Post

Has a solution been found to seamlessly integrate HD into MCE 2005? I'm thinking about picking up a Blu / HD combo drive being that HD disc prices are starting to drop.

Yes, It's called ArcSoft Total Media Theatre.

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/

Daniel James
UnitedBreaks.FM
post #732 of 910 Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedBreaks View Post

Take a look into this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145051

I know that there are USB and firewire enclosures out there. Are you using this with a Blu-ray drive? I'm looking for confirmation that someone else is successfully using an external enclosure for blu-ray over USB or firewire.

Murray
post #733 of 910 Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM

I just received this enclosure yesterday:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392021

I installed my LG ggc-h20l and unfortunately it will not play Blu-Ray disks on my XP rig(s). I tried it on three separate systems with two different cables. I'm hoping it's just defective because many people in the Newegg reviews state how well it works using the same drive. I'll RMA it for one more and give it a try.
post #734 of 910 Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread but I was wondering, what's the verdict about the best software for Blu-ray playback (from disc and/or hard drive) that can can send uncompressed audio to the receiver ?

I'm leaning toward TMT because according to their website, it supports all the latest audio formats.

My HTPC:
AMD X2 5400+
4GB RAM
ATI 4850
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #735 of 910 Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

I haven't read the whole thread but I was wondering, what's the verdict about the best software for Blu-ray playback (from disc and/or hard drive) that can can send uncompressed audio to the receiver ?

I'm leaning toward TMT because according to their website, it supports all the latest audio formats.

My HTPC:
AMD X2 5400+
4GB RAM
ATI 4850
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

IMO there are really only 2 good options for Blu-ray playback; TMT & PDVD (either 7.3 or 8). Both still have issues and both have their own diehard fans. I own retail version of TMT, PDVD 7.3 & PDVD 8 and I prefer TMT which I think has a fewer issues and interfaces better with VMC. I don't notice any differences in picture quality between any of these. I use SPDIF out for audio to Denon AVR 3805 with 7.1 speaker setup. In TMT it is downsampled and using the mixer is encoded to DTS which works well for me. With TMT you can playback BD & HD from disc/ISO image/Ripped Folders/Indivdual stream file; with PDVD7.3 (latest build 4407) BD & HD playback from DISC/ISO image and PDVD 8 (latest build 1830.50) BD only playback from DISC/ISO image. I notice you have the ATI 4850 which has the HDMI solution for audio and video with downsampled bitstreaming right? I think that is probably the best bitstreaming solution currently (ASUS HDAV1.3 is the other HDMI solution but hasn't ben released yet in the US), but I have heard that TMT has issues with ATI so you might want to research that a bit - check out the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=14761903 & http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13872683 Good Luck.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #736 of 910 Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Ive got everything working on my HTPC it seems except hardware acceleration (or at least, my CPU loads seem high). Playing a BD or HDDVD, my loads are between 25 and 35%. I feel like this is a little high. Im using PowerDVD 8 Ultra and have HA checked...I figured thats all it would take for PowerDVD at least? Heres my specs:
Intel E8400
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Corsair 2GB DDR2-800 memory
post #737 of 910 Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM

PowerDVD 7 works well on my HTPC. I want to play my Blu-Ray rips from my NAS. I just download ArcSoft TMT to try that one as well but when I play my Blu-Ray rips it studders terribly. Anyone know if TMT requires a lot more horsepower?
post #738 of 910 Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

Ive got everything working on my HTPC it seems except hardware acceleration (or at least, my CPU loads seem high). Playing a BD or HDDVD, my loads are between 25 and 35%. I feel like this is a little high. Im using PowerDVD 8 Ultra and have HA checked...I figured thats all it would take for PowerDVD at least? Heres my specs:
Intel E8400
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Corsair 2GB DDR2-800 memory

HA is working fine, just uncheck it and see what you get. I have very similar system, same cpu, same mbo, same video card, same RAM except I have 4GB and my loads are the same as yours - if I don't use HA it jumps to about 70%.

HTPCat

post #739 of 910 Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster4 View Post

PowerDVD 7 works well on my HTPC. I want to play my Blu-Ray rips from my NAS. I just download ArcSoft TMT to try that one as well but when I play my Blu-Ray rips it studders terribly. Anyone know if TMT requires a lot more horsepower?

I don't think TMT requires any more cpu useage, maybe just a little. I have full retail versions of TMT, PDVD7.3 & PDVD8 and they all require just about the same cpu useage. I play both ripped and iso files from external HDD mostly using TMT and I have no studdering at all. It seems that you can have problems with codecs some times when you install TMT with PDVD already installed, especially when you are installing the trial version of TMT. I had the studdering that was opposite yours (played fine from rips, but suddered horribly when playing a mounted iso or straight from disc. I tried many things suggested and what finally worked was removing all TMT from my system, running a registry cleaner several times and then re-installing (did this twice, first time resulted in BSOD) and everything has now worked great for the last 6 weeks.

HTPCat

post #740 of 910 Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I don't think TMT requires any more cpu useage, maybe just a little. I have full retail versions of TMT, PDVD7.3 & PDVD8 and they all require just about the same cpu useage. I play both ripped and iso files from external HDD mostly using TMT and I have no studdering at all. It seems that you can have problems with codecs some times when you install TMT with PDVD already installed, especially when you are installing the trial version of TMT. I had the studdering that was opposite yours (played fine from rips, but suddered horribly when playing a mounted iso or straight from disc. I tried many things suggested and what finally worked was removing all TMT from my system, running a registry cleaner several times and then re-installing (did this twice, first time resulted in BSOD) and everything has now worked great for the last 6 weeks.

When you had your issues with TMT did you have PDVD7 & 8 installed? Did you uninstall all of them, clean you registry and reinstall? Please advise.
post #741 of 910 Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

System Specs

CPU - AMD X2 4400
Mother Board - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
RAM - Crucial 2x1gb DDR2800
DVD Drive - LG HD-DVD/BR
Software - VMC & PowerDVD 7.3
A/V Reciever - Onkyo 606 with HDMI in/out
Display - Westy 42 W2? 1080p

Everything was working fine till I added my new Onkyo 606 into the loop. Now when I play an HD-DVD, I get an error in P-DVD that it cannot play with a repeater. What is the work around on this? I need to keep the 606 in the video loop due to the TV being very finicky on remote commands such as changing inputs (common Westy issue)
post #742 of 910 Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster4 View Post

When you had your issues with TMT did you have PDVD7 & 8 installed? Did you uninstall all of them, clean you registry and reinstall? Please advise.

Yes I had all of them installed, I only uninstalled TMT/FFDShow/Nero7. To this point I still have not re-installed FFDShow or Nero7.

HTPCat

post #743 of 910 Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegas View Post

System Specs

CPU - AMD X2 4400
Mother Board - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
RAM - Crucial 2x1gb DDR2800
DVD Drive - LG HD-DVD/BR
Software - VMC & PowerDVD 7.3
A/V Reciever - Onkyo 606 with HDMI in/out
Display - Westy 42 W2? 1080p

Everything was working fine till I added my new Onkyo 606 into the loop. Now when I play an HD-DVD, I get an error in P-DVD that it cannot play with a repeater. What is the work around on this? I need to keep the 606 in the video loop due to the TV being very finicky on remote commands such as changing inputs (common Westy issue)

Try TMT - I beleive they have fixed the repeater bug in the latest build.

HTPCat

post #744 of 910 Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegas View Post

I believe that AnyDVD HD gets around this, too. It's not free, but if you already own it, the marginal cost is zero.
post #745 of 910 Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Does anyone have a problem with PDVD 8 Ultra and TMT demo just locking up completely?

I just put together a build based on the AMD/AMD recommended mid-range system:

AMD Phenom 8750
Gigabyte 790FX ATX
ATI Radeon 4670
4GB A-Data 800
Western Digital 640gb
LG GGC-H20L
Corsair 520W power supply
connected to a Sony V-series 40in via HDMI and run through the ATI card with a DVI/HDMI dongle.

Neither Netflix rentals of Iron Man, nor Indy and Crystal Skull will play without freezing through the first or second scene. The freezing is consistent in both software players, and occurs whether the drive is in an enclosure, or internal. I have not tried HD or Standard DVD yet, nor have I tried running thru onboard video (which would defeat the point of buying the VGA card in the first place)

Firmware on the LG drive is 1.03. Sound is pushed via HDMI to the TV and out through a set of Bose Companion (aka nothing fancy) and set to Realtek HDMI out. Hardware Acceleration is enabled, and TV resolution is set to 1920x1080.

Any body with a similar AMD/AMD config could shed light? or is there a magical driver that I'm missing? I'm clueless.
post #746 of 910 Old 10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally got my Blu-ray burner/hd-dvd drive working. I just had to turn off my Hauppauge HD-PVR. Thank you all for the help. Reading your posts really helped.
post #747 of 910 Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Here is my system:

LG Combo Blu Ray/HDDVD
Asus P5QL-E motherboard
Asus Nvidia 9400 GT Silent Graphics Card
S/PDIF out to Denon AVP-1HD receiver
Vista Home Premium with Media Center/My Moives
AnyDVD HD
Virtual Clone Drive

I backup my BDs onto my HDD using AnyDVD Ripper (only does file strutures) and/or My Movies (for ISO). I have also used imgburn to create ISO files from the AnyDVD Ripper files.

Regardless of whether I am playing ISO files or file structures inside TMT, I get 5.1 channel input into my Denon. However, if I launch TMT from MyMovies inside of VMC, I get only 2 channel input into my Denon (via S/PDIF). Any way to get 5.1 channel through S/PDIF when using VMC/MM to launch TMT?

thanks,
post #748 of 910 Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpich View Post

Here is my system:

LG Combo Blu Ray/HDDVD
Asus P5QL-E motherboard
Asus Nvidia 9400 GT Silent Graphics Card
S/PDIF out to Denon AVP-1HD receiver
Vista Home Premium with Media Center/My Moives
AnyDVD HD
Virtual Clone Drive

I backup my BDs onto my HDD using AnyDVD Ripper (only does file strutures) and/or My Movies (for ISO). I have also used imgburn to create ISO files from the AnyDVD Ripper files.

Regardless of whether I am playing ISO files or file structures inside TMT, I get 5.1 channel input into my Denon. However, if I launch TMT from MyMovies inside of VMC, I get only 2 channel input into my Denon (via S/PDIF). Any way to get 5.1 channel through S/PDIF when using VMC/MM to launch TMT?

thanks,

Once you have openned the TMT 10' GUI from MyMovies using VMC, right click, go to setup and make sure that S/PDIF is selected and that you have checked the box for enable mixer.

FYI the latest versions of AnyDVD HD can rip to file structure or create ISO files

HTPCat

post #749 of 910 Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Why is ISO so popular compared with file structure? It seems to me the ISO files are pretty big, which creates a single point of failure.
post #750 of 910 Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Why is ISO so popular compared with file structure? It seems to me the ISO files are pretty big, which creates a single point of failure.

What do you mean by this ?
File Size and "failure" are completely unrelated
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page