Semi-Official BD and HD DVD on an HTPC Configuration/Playback FAQ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 910 Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tkawika

I had the same issue and resolved it by setting my region in each player.
Good Luck,

yetifleix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 910 Old 12-01-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding that a TrueHD uncompressed audio signal cannot be transferred over optical or coax and that a HDMI connection must be used. What does a HTPC do with the TrueHD audio?

Thanks,

Frank
post #183 of 910 Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

It is my understanding that a TrueHD uncompressed audio signal cannot be transferred over optical or coax and that a HDMI connection must be used. What does a HTPC do with the TrueHD audio?

Thanks,

Frank

you can use multi channel analog outputs

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
THX Certified Video Calibration
post #184 of 910 Old 12-01-2006, 08:32 PM

ARGH!!!
I just reinstalled XP MCE and the same issue. I am buying another Sony drive hopefully I have a defective one. Funny thing happened. After it PowerDvD crashed I went to play a SD and it crashed again. So, I restarted and it crashed again. I figured the issue, when it crashed on the BD, S/PDIF was selected, when I deselected it it worked again. Then I reselected it during a movie and still worked. I tried to play BD without S/PDIF selected same result. I was such a huge fan of the idea of Blu-Ray, but my skin is wearing thin. SD movies look great. My next post might be in classified area.

Tkawika
post #185 of 910 Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Well, its not the Blu-Ray player. I am soooooo frustrated, I can almost cry. I have emailed Sony support, ASUS support, and Cyberlink support. I believe I have tried almost everything, including re-installing the OS from scratch. Here is a quick recap of my issues and setup:

Setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
Corsair DDR2-800 2GB memory
(5)Maxtor Pro 500 SATA 3.0GB
Asus EN7950GX2 GeForce 7950GX2 1GB PCI-E DUAL DVI
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WIFI AP nForce 590
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Rewritable Drive

Tested Displays:
Samsung 50 HL-P5063W DLP HDTV
Philips 42F-3796 Plasma HDTV
Sony Ruby Projector
Sharp DLP HDTV Projector

If anyones see anything wrong with any of the equipment please free to let me know.

Tkawika
post #186 of 910 Old 12-02-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone ordered a custom made HTPC for HD-DVD from HP yet?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #187 of 910 Old 12-02-2006, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually saw the new HP Pavilion m7690n just the other day at Future Shop. It was playing an HD DVD movie on an ACER widescreen monitor. It played it smoothly without any stuttering. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good idea as to how loud it is because of all the noise in the store but I put my head up very close to the tower and although there was some fan sound, it didn't seem overly intrusive.

It seems like a nice machine with 2 x 250 GB hard drives. Here's a link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...1002_USEN#N305

Wayne
post #188 of 910 Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That is the one I have been checking on and adding the HD-DVD drive to it. It does not have any spare expansion slots though. I will need to install my MyHD card in it.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #189 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 12:57 AM

The continuing saga...
So I went out bought another video card and 7600GS w/DVI. (Thank god for 30 day return policies). Anyway, I swapped out my Asus EN7950GX2 GeForce 7950GX2 1GB for a PNY 7600GS 512MB. It still didn't work, but this time the Cyberlink Advisor said my display was not approved. (Samsung HLP5063W). So, I put the EN7950GX2 back in and ran the advisor once again and it said the display was OK. I did a little test and took the .05 cent looking component adapter and plugged into the back of the $650 video card and connected the component directly into the display and would you believe it! BD movie actually playing!!! I know its not digital, I know it should work with DVI, but since I hadn't seen more than 5 secs of a BD movie in the past, this was small victory in the large war. I found a little trick with PowerDvD 6.6BD (or it could be my karma catching up with me) but when you have S/PDIF selected when you try to play a BD, it locks up and reboots. Then after it crashes once the S/PDIF connector doesn't work properly. In fact even with SD dvd's it will crash and reboot. If you play SD dvd 1st before any BD, then S/PDIF will work fine, but once you play BD with S/PDIF selected, its toast. I have read in this thread that TrueHD can only be processed with HDMI or Analog connections and not Coax/Optical S/PDIF. I am wondering if this is reason why it crashes. Again without saying that any comments or help will be much appreciated.
post #190 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

All of the HD-DVD's I've played default to either DD or DD+, not the TrueHD track. Unless BD is different, I doubt that's the cause of the crashing.

That is correct though, the TrueHD tracks will not play through S/PDIF.
post #191 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to get
King Kong
Batman Begins
Chronicles of Riddick

My system consists of:
AMD X2 3800+ AM2 Socket (slightly overclocked now to 2.16)
1 gig DDR2 Ram
ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 mobo
Geforce 6800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
HDA X-Plosion soundcard
Media Center 2005 OS
PowerDVD 6.5

This time I ran a 50ft VGA cable from the mobo VGA output to my Infocus 4805 PJ. Each title played with no problem with Resolution set to 848 x 480 and 1280 x 720 smoothly. At 1920 x 1080 I had stuttering throughout the movie. And when playing King Kong, although it played with no problem I could not figure how to get the PIP off the screen. I know someone mention a solution on here somewhere.

My question is should I expect a better Picture with a DVI//HDMI video card that is HDCP compliant. The color on some scenes look a little off using VGA output on the mobo. But I was happy to be able to get it to play successfully.

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #192 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 PM

This post is about defeats and victories:

Victories:
* I am alive
* BD Plays on my TV (not with the desired DVI-HDMI but with Analog Component) 1080i looks great.

Defeats:
* BD will not play digital audio
* BD will not play digital video
* PowerDvD 6.6BD crashes and reboots with S/PDIF selected. I have to reinstall sound drivers everytime it crashes.
* WinDvD 8 I/O will report audio correctly but video stops after 1 minute of play, but audio goes on.
* Media Center will not play SD DvD's with the component connection.
* I have reloaded XP MCE 4 times.

It has taken me many hours and thousands of dollars to get to this point. I don't know why we do it, because for my sanity, I have to believe there are others like me. I am chalking this up to early adoption of new technology. My next steps are going to determine if I have a gaming machine or HTPC, because I can't continue to do this. I am replacing my motherboard, video card (again), soundcard, and reloading XP MCE one more time. If it doesn't work after that, look for a Sony BD on ebay.
tkawika
post #193 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkawika View Post

Well, its not the Blu-Ray player. I am soooooo frustrated, I can almost cry. I have emailed Sony support, ASUS support, and Cyberlink support. I believe I have tried almost everything, including re-installing the OS from scratch. Here is a quick recap of my issues and setup:

Setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
Corsair DDR2-800 2GB memory
(5)Maxtor Pro 500 SATA 3.0GB
Asus EN7950GX2 GeForce 7950GX2 1GB PCI-E DUAL DVI
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WIFI AP nForce 590
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Rewritable Drive

Tested Displays:
Samsung 50 HL-P5063W DLP HDTV
Philips 42F-3796 Plasma HDTV
Sony Ruby Projector
Sharp DLP HDTV Projector

If anyones see anything wrong with any of the equipment please free to let me know.

Tkawika

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2874&p=3

Your card isn't on the HDCP compliant list... not sure if that is a problem.

Did you run the Cyberlink Advisor?

May have something to do with it (without reading back through all the posts, sorry)

trueimage
post #194 of 910 Old 12-03-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2874&p=3

Your card isn't on the HDCP compliant list... not sure if that is a problem.

Did you run the Cyberlink Advisor?

May have something to do with it (without reading back through all the posts, sorry)

Earlier I posted the Cyberlink Advisor Log. Here is the link to Asus website for my video card. It states that it is HDCP ready.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...87&modelmenu=2

Here is the log again:
Check Item BD Ready? Info
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz Yes
System Memory : 2048 MB Yes
Operating System : Windows XP Service Pack 2 Yes
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Yes
Graphics Card Driver : 6.14.10.9371 Yes
Blu-ray Disc Drive : [D:] SONY BDRW BWU-100A Yes
Software Player : PowerDVD 6.6.0.3306 Yes
Display connection type : Digital(with HDCP) Yes

Thank you for your response.
Tkawika
post #195 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 AM

TrueHD could be played via optical/coax only when it first downscaled to fit bandwidth requirements - that what is MS doing with Xbox 360.

From some reports its of course worse than true TrueHD, but better than default DD tracks.
post #196 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dav View Post

I have a nVidia 7600GT HDCP graphics card and a Blu-ray writer and using PowerDVD 6.6 BD to watch BD movies.

My question is that it seems that HD Purevideo is integrated to the nVidia driver, right? There is no separate HD Purevideo plugin to purchase? My problem is that I want to set my PowerDVD BD playback to VMR9 and don't know how to do it. With the old normal separate PureVideo plugin, you could easily do it.

Hi,
no it is not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandtech View Post

While PureVideo HD is capable of accelerating high def video files, this new driver is the first that allows PureVideo HD to be used on HDCP protected content. These capabilities should be enabled in a ForceWare driver release sometime near the end of July or the beginning of August.

Actually the Forceware driver came bit later, just 3 months BUT you still need the Purevideo Decoder to accelarate MPEG-2 (and AVC btw. as well).

sandra
post #197 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ What? No you don't! All you need is to download the latest Nvidia drivers, that have PureVideo HD in them. You don't need to buy any decoders or drivers.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #198 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This is really not clear !

I have an AGP 7600GS beand new board (not HDCP capable, but I don't care).
I use latest 93.81 drivers... I also have nvidia decoders with TheaterTek v2.4 (decoder v223 if I'm correct).

But even then I'm unable to activate DXVA (or whatever it is called) when playing HD-DVD (neither with PowerDVD nor WinDVD).

Obviously PureVideo (seems) works fine while reading any other stuff (DVDs, etc...)

So far, I thought my long ATI years were a problem and I wasn't getting how to activate it (having in mind the control panel is not that intuitive, I hate those things where most is hidden...).
But now I'm about to conclude that either software players are not ready to do so (but it seems some people here are succesfully doing it !) or my card (brand new 7600GS) or drivers cannot do it... may be because it is an AGP one...

Last, I have quite some odd behaviour using WinDVD that basically cannot read any HD-DVD on my AMD system whereas it can play most on my Pentium 4 one. (strict same install of a MCE2005 base + MS patches )

I'm desperate, especially because it looks like some people here are able to play KK (that crash PowerDVD here) and some other titles that don't here...

About to either bought a X360 or sell out this drive waiting (long) HD-E1 arrival...

--Patrice

French speaking home theater HCFR Forum
post #199 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news folks!

Intervideo released a new version of WinDVD 8 Platinum on December 3rd. It adds HD DVD support, and it works very nicely with red laser HD DVDs. I'm viewing one right now on an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive at 1920x1080, and it's running very smoothly. No jerking or audio glitches.

The exact same disc, when played on the same drive attached to Xbox 360, exhibited severe playback problems. So the problem is not the drive, but the software. That means MS can fix red laser HD DVD playback for X360.

Almost forgot: the version number of WinDVD 8 Platinum is v8.0.6.101.

post #200 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I note that most attempting to play HD are using quite a high end Nvidia or ATI graphics card. However, I also note that Nvidia's Purevideo compatibility page indicates that an AGP 6200 will do VC-1, mpeg2-HD, etc accelerated decoding.

I'm not particularly interested in gaming, but would like to play HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies on my HTPC, so my question is: is there a reason why an AGP 6200 wouldn't work as well as a higher end card in accelerated decode of these formats?

I understand the lower end cards won't perform some of the fancier post-processing (such as HD IVTC), but with native 1080p24 on the new HD discs this won't really be required, if used mainly for viewing these formats.
post #201 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Just got my 8800gtx today, tried out Serenity at 1280x800 rez it plays fine, however I get an HDCP error at 2560x1600 rez, this is known issue with dual-link DVI and HDCP not working on any current video card. How can I know if Im getting 720p playback at my 1280x800 rez? Ill try out the new WinDVD 8 soon.
post #202 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoa. Don't know why this might be, but... When I installed the WinDVD on one PC, I got HD DVD support. When I installed it into another PC, there's no HD DVD tab in the Set-up menu. I don't get it.

post #203 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Great news folks!

Intervideo released a new version of WinDVD 8 Platinum on December 3rd. It adds HD DVD support, and it works very nicely with red laser HD DVDs. I'm viewing one right now on an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive at 1920x1080, and it's running very smoothly. No jerking or audio glitches.

The exact same disc, when played on the same drive attached to Xbox 360, exhibited severe playback problems. So the problem is not the drive, but the software. That means MS can fix red laser HD DVD playback for X360.

Almost forgot: the version numbe6r of WinDVD 8 Platinum is v8.0.6.101.

Wow! Does it take less CPU load than Pdvd 6.5? Overall, does it work better for blue laser HDDVDs?
post #204 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: HD DVD tab appeared in the Set-up menu once I rebooted and attached the HD DVD drive. Second PC is 100% certainly HDCP-compliant all the way - but WinDVD refuses to play AACS-protected titles. It tastes the disc, but won't even start playback. Seems to work very well with red laser HD DVDs, but blue ones are a no-go, apparently

And no, connecting a BD drive did not produce a BD tab. Instead, WinDVD crashes rather unceremoniusly.

post #205 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 PM

I mean when connecting Xbox drive, does this WinDVD version play better HD-DVDs than PowerDVD 6.5 OEM version? Did u get AACS protected HD-DVD to play with it?
post #206 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapitan View Post

I mean when connecting Xbox drive, does this WinDVD version play better HD-DVDs than PowerDVD 6.5 OEM version? Did u get AACS protected HD-DVD to play with it?

The answer's in post #204

post #207 of 910 Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau11y View Post

Fellas, c'mon! I looked on torrent, hunted on irc, I don't have an account on usenet... PAAAALEEEz give me a clue on how to get a copy of PDVD 6.5 so I can at least test my setup to see if I need to change anything else. Westi 42" w/ HDCP thru DVI, eVGA7950GT KO (supposedly w/ HDCP), Xbox 360 drive, nForce PureVideo HD, the Toshiba driver so I can read the King Kong disc... If this works, I PROMISE to buy a legit copy of PowerDVD HD when it goes retail...

HELP!

DUDE!!!!! please stop!!!!! this site IS NOT a warez site. If you don't have a legal means of getting software please don't post begging here asking for it.

- Josh
post #208 of 910 Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's something that didn't occur to me until someone on the Finnish forum asked about it. You can use a regular DVD-drive to play red laser HD DVDs with this new WinDVD. That's nice, wouldn't you say?

post #209 of 910 Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry if that question has already been answered:

How can I recognize a red laser HD-DVD?
post #210 of 910 Old 12-05-2006, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Red laser HD DVD refers to self-made HD DVD content on a regular DVD-R/+R disc.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page