Fast Forward XviD DivX TS files in MCE (found a work around, maybe lead to a fix?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-18-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As you know, you cant fast forward XviD, TS, or DivX files in Windows Media Center. You can only press the skip button.

The thing that sucks about pressing the skip button, is if you hit it too fast, or you press and hold it down, it will jump to the END of the whole video. (not helpful)

This means you have to press the skip button like some 1985 rapid fire video game. (quite annoying for long long videos)

I found that if you have the RF Firefly remote control, you can actually press and hold down it's skip button. It will then rapid fire fast forward at a break neck speed, in a nice quick smooth way. http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/

I wonder why their remote does this? They have special software you need to install to make it work since it's RF. What command is the FireFly remote doing on the receiver end that we could maybe repeat manually? If you dont want to use the firefly remote, it would be nice if we could at least setup a keyboard hot key to do the same thing. (or maybe tweak the normal skip in a way that works)

Again, the goal is to fast forward (via skips) in a way that lets you press and hold. (or something similar)

Anyone up for the challage or have another good idea?

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Besides the fast forward being nice, you can also map the custom A, B, C, D buttons.

i have A mapped to NVidia hot key, change video port

I have B mapped to NVidia hot key, enable/disable clone mode
(I have a 7" LCD case screen, great for audio use when I dont want ot fire up the projector)

Here's how:
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33855

Mac Mini (Late 2012, Ivy i7-3615QM/Intel HD 4000) Win 8 Pro x64 Media Center, 2 USB Ceton InfiniTV tuners + Companion iPhone App, XBox extender, MyMovies.dk WHS 2011 StableBit DrivePool, TIP: (DISABLE Intel Graphics Control Panel's Dynamic Contrast to prevent 29/59 flicker)
post #3 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Liked: 12
why even bother using media player?

what about VLC, DivX player, Nvidia player, all proabably a beter choice, anything is a better choice, than microsoft progys
post #4 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Media Center (not Media Player)

but yeah, I'm ready to use SageTV as soon as the QAM recording is worked out of the next beta release.

Media Center has too many plugins I use already. (home automation stuff too) The RF Tuned cable and OTA HD recordings are rock solid.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, since you run MCE, you can easily solve the TS problem. Just change them with tsconverter and they play in Media Center. You can totally automate that.

The Xvid/Divx can be done, but not as easily. Convert with ConvertXtoDvd (or similar). Play in MyMovies.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

maybe, i'd rather not convert anything though. The goal is to be able to fast forward XviD videos via a 10 foot interface. MCE, SageTV, BeyondTV, what ever works best. The balance is the app(s) I use should do dvr "well" too. MCE seems to be my best choice for now. SageTV is advancing fast. BeyondTV hasnt yet intergrated Beyond Media (0r updated it in awhile) I only do TS recordings via QAM on NBC. All my other HD channels are abailable in MCE via OTA HD DVR-MS recordings. (which are good enough)

So yes, VLC player if fantastic for stand alone sit down office/mouse use, but I'm on a HTPC using a single remote control only. (need an easy 10 foot interface playback method)

post #7 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have to apologize in advance that this post is going to sound very generic, but I'm home with the family for Thanksgiving and couldn't find the specific info in a quick search.

Somewhere in this HTPC forum I was pointed to a piece of software written by a Microsoft employee as an example of how to program plugins to Media Center. His plugin adds a "jump" capability to any audio/video playing in MCE. It can be used in various ways but the basic controls are something like this:
Press right arrow, enter a time code like "130", press OK -> video jumps 1:30 forwards
Press left arrow, enter a time code like "130", press OK -> video jumps to the 1:30 mark (regardless of if that's a forwards or backwards jump)

I'm not sure if this is anything that you could use, but I do use it regularly for skipping around in DivX/Xvid files, and it's great for the live DJ sets I listen to as well. I stumbled across it while looking for a beter way to FF through 2 hour long .mp3s without rapid-fire pressing "skip".

The only other thing I can think of is changingthe "skip" button to jump ~2 seconds instead of 30, and somehow writing a plugin to allow holding down the button as a rapid-fire rather than a jump to end of file. This sounds more like what you're asking for, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Anyway, hopefully someone else can fill in the details that I'm missing, or point you to the software I mentioned if you think it will help at all. Good luck!
post #8 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

excellent, sounds great, please post the link where I can download/try it

post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Time Travel with Windows XP Media Center--the download link is near the top of the article. This was written for DVR-MS files, but may work with other file types.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

I found that if you have the RF Firefly remote control, you can actually press and hold down it's skip button. It will then rapid fire fast forward at a break neck speed, in a nice quick smooth way. http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/

I wonder why their remote does this?

Here's a guess. Most IR remotes will send a 'repeat' command when a button is held down. The Firefly remote probably just keeps sending the same 'command' over and over when the button is held down.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2007, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

This dude wrote a Vista media center plugin that allows Fast Forwarding of Divx/Xvid files!

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/184000.aspx

http://damienbt.free.fr

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page