Need Advice - HTPC Mainly for Displaying Photos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've a collection of 10,000+ photos that I'm interested in displaying on the home TV (currently a 3 yr. old 1080i 32" Samsung CRT, but one day going to 1080p and bigger). DVI in is used, component in is available.

Display quality and ability to optimize presentation are paramount. I've little interest in streaming other sources (audio will be good, but movies, gaming, other stuff not in scope for this project.)

I've come to the preliminary conclusion that a HTPC is best for this. The Roku Photobridge is closest from a standalone device, but obviously not made any more.

Photos (and audio) are stored elsewhere.

1) Do I care about Windows Media Center (Vista or XP)?
2) Do I care about much other than really good graphics card with, perhaps, component out. Can I future proof a bit better depending on card choice?
3) I guess I care about remote control -- does that drive the choice in 1)? It'll be controlled with a Harmony remote, if that matters.
4) What else should I care about that I'm too dumb to ask?

While I can build a PC, I'd prefer to buy off the shelf from Dell, HP, .... if the premium isn't too much.

Suggestions on how to spend my money are welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like a HTPC might be overkill. The low-end Oppo DVD player does a great job of displaying photos from USB or burned on the CD/DVD. I'm pretty sure this feature is pretty common among set-top DVD players. Heck, my Samsung DLP will display photos from a USB device.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

My mid-grade DVD player from Samsung displays the photos slowly, but it is a great thought.

My photos are large (lots of detail).

I agree, a HTPC may be overkill, but I really want to try to achieve onscreen what I can see on my PC monitor, or in prints I make.

Thanks, I'm going to look into other DVD players, it may be a fluke that my Samsung sucks at this.

Rob
post #4 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

A couple comments:

- Your display will not come anywhere near the resolution to fully resolve your pictures (which are probably 2500x2500 or so). Your computer monitor has much higher resolution vs. the TV (1600x1200 vs. 1080p, etc.) and will look much better.
- With uncompressed photos it will still take your HTPC 2-3 seconds to display each full size photo (squished to fit the screen).
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why not a xbox 360?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Greg - it was my understanding that 1080p is 1920 x 1080. While that's not the full 2500 x 2500 of the pix, it's pretty damn close, and for public, "together" viewing of pictures, the best possible. Remember, Kodak stopped making slide projectors, which is the old way of getting the family round the screen for a group appreciation of my hard work kind of night.

So, the computer monitor looks darn good at 1600 x 1200, I'm hoping that if I get this right, 1920 x 1068 will be ok. I lose a bit, but not much, and again, not much choice, just trying to optimize.

Kneedragger -- If I'm able to disguise the fact that it is a game console, it might be the way to go (or a PS 3). Again, I'm thinking (and I may be wrong about this) that more control over the content than just time between slides is what I want, but I may be wrong there, too.

Thanks folks. Still plugging away at this conundrum.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 07:34 PM

My digital photos looked great on the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma when fed at native resolution 1368x768.

Really really good.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM

I am also very interested in this subject. I don't understand why there is not more people wanting to achieve the old projector slide show using their HDTV and computer. Surely there must be some knowledgeable people out there that can help!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTRV View Post

I am also very interested in this subject. I don't understand why there is not more people wanting to achieve the old projector slide show using their HDTV and computer. Surely there must be some knowledgeable people out there that can help!

I do this everyday. I use windows media center 2005. I select shuffle for My Music and play all. Then I select My Pictures that I have set to random and use the slide show setting. It animates and fades in/out the photos and at the start and end of each song there is an OSD with album art/artist/song name and album.

Its the modern day slide show to bore the relatives
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page