HELP! Which MB for the 6300 Should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I decided to but a Core 2 Duo 6300 and overclock it. I would like to use this PC to hook up to my Home Theater Projector via HDMI.

After reading the FAQ on motherboards (thanks to renethx and anyone else who compiled the information) I gather that it is not a good Idea to get a motherboard with the graphics built in?

So should I stay away from the ATI and Nvidia chipsets and just got with the Intel 965 or 975 with a PCI express video card?( I want to be able to connect to a desktop display and my Projector either HDMI or DVI)

I have also read that the 965 might have better memory performance than the 975 chipset is this still true?

I just want to make sure the the MB, Memory and PCI express video card are the right combo, because I see all of these pictures of MB with two video cards connected and it is a little confusing.

Is there a MB that uses the Nvidia Chipset but Doesn't have built in video? (meaning if I buy a Nvidia chipset MB, will I have to use an Nvidia PCI express card for video?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't want to use the onboard video, don't use it. That shouldn't affect your buying decision. Pretty much all motherboards also come with PCIe slot for video cards.

Charles
post #3 of 8 Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by afasso
OK, I decided to but a Core 2 Duo 6300 and overclock it. I would like to use this PC to hook up to my Home Theater Projector via HDMI.

After reading the FAQ on motherboards (thanks to renethx and anyone else who compiled the information) I gather that it is not a good Idea to get a motherboard with the graphics built in?

So should I stay away from the ATI and Nvidia chipsets and just got with the Intel 965 or 975 with a PCI express video card?( I want to be able to connect to a desktop display and my Projector either HDMI or DVI)

I have also read that the 965 might have better memory performance than the 975 chipset is this still true?

I just want to make sure the the MB, Memory and PCI express video card are the right combo, because I see all of these pictures of MB with two video cards connected and it is a little confusing.

Is there a MB that uses the Nvidia Chipset but Doesn't have built in video? (meaning if I buy a Nvidia chipset MB, will I have to use an Nvidia PCI express card for video?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have the Intel D975XBX2 and I highly recommend it! Two words - "stable" and "works" best describe it. Shop around, you can get it for $199 from tiger direct.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I wrote Hardware Recommendations for Building a High-Definition HTPC. Selecting a motherboard depends on features you want (the number of SATA ports, onboard IEEE 1394 etc.), to what degree you want to overclock (FSB over 500MHz, or modest 350MHz?) and your budget.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks For the Replys...

I am willing to spend the following

Processor - $180 (6300 core 2 Duo retail Box)

MB - $200 (although there seems to be ones that are a lot less money that will do the same just without all the bells and whistles)

Memory - $200 (1G or Higher have not looked at prices yet but would like fast and stable)

Case - $100 (with power supply?)

Video Card - $200 (don't know which one yet)

I have read in a few places that guys are successfully overclocking the 6300 with stock cooling, thats why I figured I could save some money going with the 6300.

I don't really do any hard core gaming, but I hate a slow PC.

It seems SATA II drives are getting cheap, Are there any MB that support SATA II and is it worth it?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I chose this one... it's for a gaming PC for my son. For home theater, anything NVidia 6600 or better will be more than enough. This board supports SATAII drives.
http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoeXFire-eSATA2.htm

post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Which one?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

see my edit above

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page