post #4591 of 8247 Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Chances are that it's the NVidia drivers (since you are using 64 bit Vista), that are causing these issues.

I wonder why DVD playback in MCE is fine, then (apart from no sound)?

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 8247 Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGoose View Post

My Radeon HD 2400 card is running Catalyst 7.10 drivers just fine with h/w acceleration enabled. Don't have the LG combo drive, but have some .ISOs mounted with daemon tools and all playback (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) works smoothly, no appreciable artifacts (noted some false contouring in one of the producer's "vanity logos" at the beginning of Ghost Rider, no tearing, no hiccups.

That is interesting, you are the first person that has said that the check box stays checked 'after' the movie starts (at Catalyst versions other then 7.7), you did check that this was the case?

Al
post #4593 of 8247 Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

That is interesting, you are the first person that has said that the check box stays checked 'after' the movie starts (at Catalyst versions other then 7.7), you did check that this was the case?

Yes, the box (in Power DVD) stays checked, but it's understandably grayed out, considering the playback experience may be otherwise affected if a change was made "midstream"...if it doesn't work this way for you, I might suggest you begin considering "changing things up".

Of course, part of it may be how your "monitors" are set up - I have a single output (DVI to HDMI converted output to my Sony 1080p screen) - perhaps it may be an issue depending on which mode you have set in CCC for your "monitor"? Have you tried a later version of the catalyst driver but ONLY output it to whatever your using to output? (Monitor, ProJo...etc) and see if it makes any difference?
post #4594 of 8247 Old 12-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill View Post

Yes, and the clean install accomplished nothing. I strongly suspect that it's due to nVidia's codec not working properly under 64-bit Vista. If I want DVD playback, I must reformat again, and either buy a 32-bit version of Vista or use my copy of MCE 2005.

You'd think with their immense resources, nVidia could have had their products working under 64-bit by now. 64-bit hardware has swept the market, after all.

I know nVidia has Pure Video, Pure Video HD, and out of the box driver support for certain elements of playback (good reference at http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/...Comparison.pdf) and the ForceWare driver for x64 says it's supposed to work - there is also mention of certain products that have native support for the feature set regarding playback - but I presume you were just trying to play back through VMC or Media Player under Vista 64? EDIT - does that VMC codec "tool" work under Vista 64? I wonder if it would say much about what codecs that are actually in use?
post #4595 of 8247 Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 PM

guys,

i am using a Radeon 3850 card and PowerDVD 3516. My standard DVD's are playing with the dark states rather elevated, I'm assuming this is the 16-235 level issue. Is there a way to setup a profile in Catalyst that can be chosen prior to playing the movie that would render the black level as truely black? Or is there a way of accomplishing this in powerdvd?
post #4596 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've used the PureVideo codecs in past installations of MCE (MCE 2005) successfully - did you say that you are using x64 Vista?

I was, but now I've switched to XP MCE 2005 and everything's working.

Vista x64 isn't ready for prime time.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #4597 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 AM
jp2

I am using vista home with pdvd 3104, 2600xt and e6600cpu. I also use anydvd hd from slysoft. I have smooth playback of both blu-ray and hd-dvd (from hdd) with mpeg2, vc1, and h.264 avc. I am using the catalyst 7.11 drivers. In pdvd, hw acceleration stays enabled (checked). My cpu stays relatively low (5-20%) through all of the above types of movies. I am trying to validate whether on not hw accel. is actually working but with this combination I cannot seem to turn hw accel. off! I stop the movie, go into pdvd config, disable hw accel., save, then start the movie. When I go back into the config, hw accel is enabled! I have checked with ati's ccc which now has overdrive visible but grayed out. It show some gpu usage but not a lot (up to maybe 20%). I have played around with arcsoft on my xp partition (same machine that I dual-boot). With arcsoft, the vc1 encoded movies have a lot of judder. It doesn't seem like arcsoft is using hw accel. for the ati 2600xt but it does seem like pdvd is. Any suggestions on how to confirm this theory?
thanks,
jp
post #4598 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 AM

To very quick questions:
1. Which version of PowerDVD is the newest version that works with playback from HDD and drives?

2. If I get the newest version which doesn't allow playback from HDD, will I then be able to mount it from ISO through D-tools?

Sorry but 154 pages is just to much to read
post #4599 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

To very quick questions:
1. Which version of PowerDVD is the newest version that works with playback from HDD and drives?

2. If I get the newest version which doesn't allow playback from HDD, will I then be able to mount it from ISO through D-tools?

Sorry but 154 pages is just to much to read

[soapbox mode on...]

Whether it's your intent or not, your last sentence implies that your time is more valuable than everyone else's.

You'll find that many of us who have put in the effort to read the thread will find it too much effort to help those who aren't willing to try to help themselves - there's a thread search function that should help you narrow down the thread contents and answer your questions.

Part of the problem with a post such as yours is that it clogs the thread with the same question - yet again. If you used the search tools, not only would you find the answers you're looking for, but you also wouldn't further clog the thread with repeat information (adding to those 154 pages that are too much for you to read - imagine the next guy who comes along and has to read 155 pages ).

At a minimum, read the last few pages of a long thread before asking questions as your questions may have been answered in the recent past. Preferably, use the search function to dig further back. Most of us aren't expecting newcomers to read EVERY post in the thread, but at least put in an effort...
post #4600 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

[soapbox mode on...]

Whether it's your intent or not, your last sentence implies that your time is more valuable than everyone else's.

You'll find that many of us who have put in the effort to read the thread will find it too much effort to help those who aren't willing to try to help themselves - there's a thread search function that should help you narrow down the thread contents and answer your questions.

Part of the problem with a post such as yours is that it clogs the thread with the same question - yet again. If you used the search tools, not only would you find the answers you're looking for, but you also wouldn't further clog the thread with repeat information (adding to those 154 pages that are too much for you to read - imagine the next guy who comes along and has to read 155 pages ).

At a minimum, read the last few pages of a long thread before asking questions as your questions may have been answered in the recent past. Preferably, use the search function to dig further back. Most of us aren't expecting newcomers to read EVERY post in the thread, but at least put in an effort...

Well it was of course not my intention, but then I would add, it would be a smart move to make a sticky and on the first page perhaps sum up, with important things like these, which are very essential, then us newcomers to the thread won't ask these questions. Just my two cents.
post #4601 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 AM

I have noticed stuttering on high-bitrate Blu-Ray playback (opening credits of Silver Surfer) using an AMD X2 4200+ with an ATI X1650 video card. Do you think my stuttering will resolve by switching to a Geforce 8600 GT videocard in this machine?

Thanks for your advice.
post #4602 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM

I know this has been probably discussed and I have tried many things to make it work with an extended desktop between 7 inch 800x600 touchscreen and 106inch 1280x720 projector display.
When powerdvd starts it seems to set the resolution to the primary display which is the touchscreen in my case. If I move the application to the projector secondary display I have a small picture of what it seem 800x600 resolution.
Now If I change the primary touchscreen display to 1280x720, PowerDVD fills the whole projector display and works as it should. But this last resolution makes my touchscreen pretty unreadable.

There is no way actually to make PowerDVD take into account the secondary display resolution.

Is there any settings to force powerDVD to start playing with my secondary display resolution at 1280x720.

Thanks
post #4603 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjur View Post

Well it was of course not my intention, but then I would add, it would be a smart move to make a sticky and on the first page perhaps sum up, with important things like these, which are very essential, then us newcomers to the thread won't ask these questions. Just my two cents.

Volunteers?
post #4604 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djassa1 View Post

I know this has been probably discussed and I have tried many things to make it work with an extended desktop between 7 inch 800x600 touchscreen and 106inch 1280x720 projector display.
When powerdvd starts it seems to set the resolution to the primary display which is the touchscreen in my case. If I move the application to the projector secondary display I have a small picture of what it seem 800x600 resolution.
Now If I change the primary touchscreen display to 1280x720, PowerDVD fills the whole projector display and works as it should. But this last resolution makes my touchscreen pretty unreadable.

There is no way actually to make PowerDVD take into account the secondary display resolution.

Is there any settings to force powerDVD to start playing with my secondary display resolution at 1280x720.

Thanks

Well you didn't give much information to work with like what video card you are running...

Anyway, I run an ATI HD2600Pro and it drives 2 displays, a 15" touch screen (Viewsonic V150P, 1024x768) and a projector (W9000,1920x1080). If I set the Catalyst Manager to extend the desktop on to the secondary display (W900), not only does the resolutions remain set for both, but dragging PDVD over to the projector allows me to fill the screen without changing any resolution settings for either display.

IIRC, when I shut down the system in this configuration, when it is started back up it goes right to work as it should with all of the same settings.

Your comment:
Quote:

Is there any settings to force powerDVD to start playing with my secondary display resolution at 1280x720

makes me wonder if you are trying to run in 'clone mode'. As you have surmised PDVD does not recognize dual moniotrs (this is by design) nor does it allow playback on 2 monitors at once (again by design/HDCP)

Al
post #4605 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM

can Anydvd decode the TrueHD an DD+ to lossless analog pcm like PowerDVD?

The main reason I want to install this drive is so I can get lossless audio w/o upgrading to a new receiver.

I already have the Montego DDL which should have the frequency support needed to push the PCM. I just want to experience lossless sound!

I have a PS3 but bought my Yamaha HTR5890BL in 2005, so no HDMI
post #4606 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the box (in Power DVD) stays checked, but it's understandably grayed out, considering the playback experience may be otherwise affected if a change was made "midstream"...if it doesn't work this way for you, I might suggest you begin considering "changing things up".

Of course, part of it may be how your "monitors" are set up - I have a single output (DVI to HDMI converted output to my Sony 1080p screen) - perhaps it may be an issue depending on which mode you have set in CCC for your "monitor"? Have you tried a later version of the catalyst driver but ONLY output it to whatever your using to output? (Monitor, ProJo...etc) and see if it makes any difference?

Hmmmm, kind of cryptic?
Quote:

I might suggest you begin considering "changing things up

The monitor setup has nothing to do with the hardware acceleration, CCC settings didn't affect the hardware acceleration box being checked or not, and you can't run PDVD on 2 monitors at once anyway...

Having said this, everything runs fine, with PDVD at 3516, Cat drivers at 7.7 and an extended desktop onto the projector with the primary display happy as well. What's the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The most recent version of PDVD (3516) is likely the reason the hardware acceleration check box stays now.

Al
post #4607 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Point taken - sorry you had to resort to that!
post #4608 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm, kind of cryptic?

The monitor setup has nothing to do with the hardware acceleration, CCC settings didn't affect the hardware acceleration box being checked or not, and you can't run PDVD on 2 monitors at once anyway...

Having said this, everything runs fine, with PDVD at 3516, Cat drivers at 7.7 and an extended desktop onto the projector with the primary display happy as well. What's the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The most recent version of PDVD (3516) is likely the reason the hardware acceleration check box stays now.

Congrats on having a stable setup. Enjoy! :-)
post #4609 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Well you didn't give much information to work with like what video card you are running...

Anyway, I run an ATI HD2600Pro and it drives 2 displays, a 15" touch screen (Viewsonic V150P, 1024x768) and a projector (W9000,1920x1080). If I set the Catalyst Manager to extend the desktop on to the secondary display (W900), not only does the resolutions remain set for both, but dragging PDVD over to the projector allows me to fill the screen without changing any resolution settings for either display.

IIRC, when I shut down the system in this configuration, when it is started back up it goes right to work as it should with all of the same settings.

Your comment:

makes me wonder if you are trying to run in 'clone mode'. As you have surmised PDVD does not recognize dual moniotrs (this is by design) nor does it allow playback on 2 monitors at once (again by design/HDCP)

I am running an ATI HD3850 dual heads with 2 different screen resolution as I stated before and I do not use clone mode, but extended desktop mode.

You are telling me that with 2 different resolutions, PDVD is able to fill the extended screen without problem? This is exactly the thing I cannot do. At the time I move PDVD to the extended display, it sticks with primary display resolution and gives me a small screen.

Amazing
post #4610 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djassa1 View Post

I am running an ATI HD3850 dual heads with 2 different screen resolution as I stated before and I do not use clone mode, but extended desktop mode.

You are telling me that with 2 different resolutions, PDVD is able to fill the extended screen without problem? This is exactly the thing I cannot do. At the time I move PDVD to the extended display, it sticks with primary display resolution and gives me a small screen.

Amazing

I know you said 'extended desktop' but in that post I did not know if you were running an ATI card or Nvidia. I just wanted to be sure the information I shared was relevant to your situation.

Yes, full 1920x1080 on the projector and 1024x768 on the Viewsonic, both displays in operation, with PDVD on only one display at a time. Move PDVD over to the projector from the Viewsonic and then select full screen.

But to be clear, this was not always the case for me either. When I had PDVD at 3319f the image when moved to the projector would not go 'full screen', however when I updated to 3516 the problem disappeared (no other changes in my setup).

What build of PDVD are you at?

Al
post #4611 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I know you said 'extended desktop' but in that post I did not know if you were running an ATI card or Nvidia. I just wanted to be sure the information I shared was relevant to your situation.

Yes, full 1920x1080 on the projector and 1024x768 on the Viewsonic, both displays in operation, with PDVD on only one display at a time. Move PDVD over to the projector from the Viewsonic and then select full screen.

But to be clear, this was not always the case for me either. When I had PDVD at 3319f the image when moved to the projector would not go 'full screen', however when I updated to 3516 the problem disappeared (no other changes in my setup).

What build of PDVD are you at?

I use the oem version that comes with the LG BluRay-HD DVD combo drive. I already updated to a new version after the application has checked through Internet and gave me the option tio download and install a new version. I am at work right now and will check later for the exact version, Thanks
post #4612 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

It probably depends on your particular system, I am using Vista x64 and everything is working!
post #4613 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Unfortunately, that seems to be the exact theme of this thread. Sometimes it works with certain versions in certain setups if you hold your tongue out just right. If I wanted the software equivalent of tv rabbit ears on the fringe of a reception area, I'd look for somebodies home brew basement hack job. Cyberlink knows this doesn't work like major software is expected to, they run you round and round with canned responses through their CS trying to but time. I actually do not know why it's being bundled by LG with the combo drives and whatever/whereever it's being packaged. I am having to put this on a DO NOT BUY THIS BUNDLE reccomendation unless someone can find someone with the EXACT same setup as they have with detailed versions of all drivers/OS and equipment.

If Adobe or Apple dropped a POS like this and were charging for it, someone would get their head lopped off at those companies. BOOOOOO Cyberlink!
post #4614 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am running a 2600XT with Cat 7.11 and hardware accelleration definitely works. After starting the movie, the checkbox remains checked and my cpu usage is about 15-25% for VC1, 10-15% with AVC. If I uncheck it and restart the movie, cpu usage is 40-60% for both VC1 and AVC. This is with PDVD 2911.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #4615 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

I am running a 2600XT with Cat 7.11 and hardware accelleration definitely works. After starting the movie, the checkbox remains checked and my cpu usage is about 15-25% for VC1, 10-15% with AVC. If I uncheck it and restart the movie, cpu usage is 40-60% for both VC1 and AVC. This is with PDVD 2911.

Interesting - but I noted that my CPU on AVC was quite high - around 50%! This with my aforementioned Cat 7.10/PDVD 3516 combination. Was kinda chalking this up to the fact that I was using the HD 2400 (AGP)? I have a dual-core Pentium (Pentium D 925) with 1 GB RAM.

Any thoughts as to why CPU was so high, even though there appears to be evidence of h/w acceleration?

Will report back on VC1 % tonight...
post #4616 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

The more posts to this thread the more it would seem that many of the reported findings may be unique to the system they get tested on...

It is interesting because, I checked my HD2600Pro with Cat 7.7, 7.10 and 7.11 and the only with version 7.7 would the box stay checked, this was with both the LG OEM version and PDVD 3319f. (Vista 32bit OS)

Did you mention the OS you run?

Are the XT and the Pro cards that different?

Al
post #4617 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have selected in PDVD player setup for movies to start from where left off. This works for some blu-ray, and doesn't for others. My only HD-DVD Transformers always starts from the beginning. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
post #4618 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Yes, I have that problem... and probably the reason why this is the only disc (out of ALL blu-ray & HD-DVD discs) that has stuttering. Cyberlink will fix this problem in their next software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post

I have selected in PDVD player setup for movies to start from where left off. This works for some blu-ray, and doesn't for others. My only HD-DVD Transformers always starts from the beginning. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4619 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

Yes, I have that problem... and probably the reason why this is the only disc (out of ALL blu-ray & HD-DVD discs) that has stuttering. Cyberlink will fix this problem in their next software update.

How would it be connected? It seems to me that he said the only HD-DVD he has tried is Transformers, but this resume thing doesn't work with any HD-DVDs that I've tried with or without AnyDVD.

By the way, it doesn't work either with any bluray discs that I've tried, but I've always had AnyDVD enabled since I've had access to bluray, so I don't know if it's AnyDVD or my PowerDVD software, or the discs. It's really annoying when you have to suck up the stupid studio logos, and sometimes even have to FF repeatedly through many commercials until you get to the menus.

I also wonder why AnyDVD doesn't have an option to disable prohibited user operations on blu-ray. The most annoying are the stupid antipiracy screens, in no less than 3 languages! A workaround for me has been to instead of selecting "play movie" on the menu, to go to chapter selection and select chapter 1, but they again took care of annoying the hell out of me with Pirates 3, which doesn't even let you go to any chapters directly without looking at the blue and red screens.
post #4620 of 8247 Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll check some other titles, but I can tell you that with PDVD 3516 I can resume the BD title Casino Royal exactly where I left off...

Catch this, it remembers this so well that if I switch to the archived version (HDD ;-)) it still remembers where I left off!

Figure that one out!

OK, I checked what HD-DVD's I have and BD, it would seem for my system and settings only the BD titles will resume where they left off.

Al
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page