Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jji666 View Post

Aitor Ibarra, that is interesting. It really sucks if that is the case -- how could ATI advertise 1080p support and HDCP compliance but not have those both work together? What is the point? HDCP protected material is going to be largely 1080p so what is the point of having each be mutually exclusive? The point is not to have 1080p content be required to be scaled to anything less! I smell class action!

I agree... I was really surprised that they said this, yet ignored the main part of my question, which was about supported refresh rates. I would take anything support say with a pinch of salt, as about a year ago, when I specifically asked them if "HDCP ready" really meant that ATI based cards could play back protected content, they said yes. Turned out to be wrong; the ATI reference design may well have been HDCP ready but not a single manufacturer was actually implementing it at the time. Funny you should mention class action, as someone apparently did launch one against ATI (for this reason). Haven't heard anything about the case since the initial reports though.

I've kind of given up on the idea of building an HTPC that supports HD DVD / Blu Ray for now. The software is immature, there are big question marks over graphics cards, there doesn't seem to be full support for getting the new hi-def audio formats out of a PC, and there are no universal drives yet. I expect that will all change over the next year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Went on new egg today and virtually built a pc just to use with the Xbox drive. Over 1k and that's without monitor, or Xdrive. So, console it is, we'll see this summer how hardware prices change to meet the HD challenge.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #183 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Even if the system isn't perfect, at least I can pick up HD DVDs and watch them rather than to continue to collect DVDs. Gotta get the output to DVI, but the 1080p VGA display still looks pretty good.
post #184 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 PM

i have to agree, although I'm disapointed that I can't connect my display through dvi, the vga picture does look incredibly good
post #185 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Anybody got the Ultra working with an NVidia 6600GT? The system requirements listed on the web site include the 6600GT but does it actually work without stutter or other performance problems? I'd rather save some money and get a 6600GT and use VGA than pay the $200 for an HDCP-compliant 7600 or higher and have to deal with the various HDCP hiccups.

I've been trying to, but it gives me an "incompatible driver" message.

I'm using ForceWare 93.81 and a 6600 GT AGP connected with VGA.

Did anyone else try out PDVD Ultra with this graphics card?

Thanks
post #186 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:

Thanks for the responses guys!
Can anyone recommend a ball-park $200 or less Nvidia card that WILL support HDCP over a digital connection that does not sound like a vacuum cleaner?

Here you go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127223

I been using these cards for the last 2 months and they all work with HDMI and DVI with HDCP. Cooler is not loud when using for vid playback. Will speed up for gaming 3d stuff but will go quiet after cooling down.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #187 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitor Ibarra View Post

jji666:
I was in contact with ATI/AMD support recently as I wanted them to confirm that the x1600 series could output at 1080p @ 48hz (for judder free playback of 24fpd movies) with HDCP. They replied back saying that none of the current cards support HDCP at 1080p, and that this was coming in a future generation of cards. The fact that you get 2 seconds of playback and then nothing seems to confirm that (HDCP checks compliance at source and display every 2 secs, AFAIK). Maybe it will work at 1080i? This would halve the data rate (which might be the problem with ATI's HDCP implementation) but shouldn't give you a loss of quality, with movies anyway.

stoked, mmace
I think PowerDVD disabled PrintSrn after reports that in theory you could use that to make a perfect copy of an HD-DVD / Blu-Ray frame-by-frame. Alternatively, if you are using hardware to do the VC-1/MPEG2/H264 decode, this is done as an overlay by the graphics card and isn't available to windows via PrtScrn. if you can disable hardware acceleration in you gfx driver you may be able to get a grab (this technique works for SD dvds at least).

I am running an ATI X1950pro agp DVI to HDMI @ 1080p60 to my 50A2000 with no HDCP problems. In ATIs CCC I get the option for 1080p60 under the digital display tab.
post #188 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I ran the powerdvd readiness program and although the video card passed, the driver showed red. It's an ATI card GECUBE GC-H1900 Radeon X1900 Express x16 HDCP.

I simply go to the ATI site and select the Windows MCE driver for my card. I am not expecting the xbox HD DVD drive until tomorrow. Can someone point me to the right driver? Thanks in advance, and happy new year!

EJ

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #189 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I ran the powerdvd readiness program and although the video card passed, the driver showed red. It's an ATI card GECUBE GC-H1900 Radeon X1900 Express x16 HDCP.

I simply go to the ATI site and select the Windows MCE driver for my card. I am not expecting the xbox HD DVD drive until tomorrow. Can someone point me to the right driver? Thanks in advance, and happy new year!

EJ

try These
post #190 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Thank you, I will give them a try.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #191 of 8247 Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 PM

I am using Catalyst 6.12 and all is good.
post #192 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Went on new egg today and virtually built a pc just to use with the Xbox drive. Over 1k and that's without monitor, or Xdrive. So, console it is, we'll see this summer how hardware prices change to meet the HD challenge.

The new standalone 2nd generation HD-A2 Toshiba HD-DVD player is $499.

HTPC will NOT be the cheap way to play HD disks, it appears.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #193 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

The new standalone 2nd generation HD-A2 Toshiba HD-DVD player is $499.

HTPC will NOT be the cheap way to play HD disks, it appears.

Gary

I just added a video card to my current pc and I get 1080p. The HD-A2 only outputs 1080i.
post #194 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I need help, I m going crazy....
I wrote on several forums and no one can give me a strai answer.
I wrote this morning an email to Cyberlink, here is a copy if anyone can help me out:

Hi,
Prior to purchasing the latest version of Power Dvd 7.1 Ultra I downloaded it to test it out with my HTPC connected with an XBox 360 HD DVD player.

I have:
- AMD Opteron 146 running @ 2.8Ghz
- 2Gigs of Gskill GBHZ Ram running tight timings
- Leadtek 7950 GX2 Gfx card
- 2 * Pioneer 111d DVDR
- Creative Emu 1820M Soundcard
- Dfi Lanparty Ultra NF4 Mobo
- Mitsubishi HC3000 projector

I install PDVD. I put a HDDVD in, and everything seems to work for 5 seconds. I then have a popup which says that I don t respect the hddvd chain.

The Cyberlink advisor pops up and says my gfx driver isn t recent enough. Pretty weird I m running the latest nvidia forceware 93.71 and you guys recomment 92.91 or better.

I decide to format the pc with a fresh copy of XP Pro with SP2. I then install:
- Nvidia Nforce 6.86 mobo drivers
- Nvidia Forceware 92.91 gfx drivers
- Creative Emu 1820m sound drivers
- PDVD Ultra 7.1

I pop in an hddvd and get the same problem. (I screened the popup from the advisor)

I reformat and do the same as above except I install Forceware drivers 93.71. and I get the same message (Screened again)

Do you people have any idea why this is happening, can you help me out??

Thx,

Ben
post #195 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 01:20 AM

BTW, I cannot post the images or a url link because AVS Forum restricts this to users having posted 5 or more messages. Feel free to ask me the link, I ll Q them to u

Thx,

Ben
post #196 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know what "SPDIF-Mixing" in the audio tab does? It is greyed out in my version. Does this downmix TrueHD? How can I activate this feature? See the attachment for a pic of what I mean.
LL
post #197 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

benjaidafufukil my 7950gx2 also doesn't work over DVI -> HDMI. I'm not sure what the problem is yet... I'm glad it's not just me tho!

I fell back to using VGA.

-Josh Murrah
post #198 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Have read through all seven pages and so far not one individual has discussed the audio side. Will this program do decoding for Dolby True HD and DTS HD? Anybody bother to listen?
If not, Do the present BluRay and DVDHD drives have 1.1 or 1.3 HDMI outputs?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the audio side is at least 50% of the experience and it never gets discussed, and none of the present self-contained palyers can do these functions properly..

Bill
post #199 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Here you go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127223

I been using these cards for the last 2 months and they all work with HDMI and DVI with HDCP. Cooler is not loud when using for vid playback. Will speed up for gaming 3d stuff but will go quiet after cooling down.

Thanks Tinker! Can you please confirm that this works over HDMI/DVI digitally with PowerDVD Ultra? I am DONE with restocking fees or trading components to get this working. Thus, it's gotta be SOLID with the XBox/PowerDVD combo.
post #200 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anybody know what "SPDIF-Mixing" in the audio tab does? It is greyed out in my version.

This option is resulting in much confusion for me as well.

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe that has a sound chip that supports encoding DTS from analog.

I have two partitions on my system, one set up for HD DVD using the Xbox add on, and the other set up for BD using the LiteOn LH-2B1S 187C.

On the HD DVD partition the option is greyed out.

On the BD partition, the option can be selected, and results in any and all types of Audio tracks including PCM being encoded into DTS and sent out over the SPDIF cable.

So I am confused as well.

BTW, both partitions are identical, with identical versions of OS, drivers, and PDVD Deluxe.

Vern
post #201 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2 View Post

Have read through all seven pages and so far not one individual has discussed the audio side. Will this program do decoding for Dolby True HD and DTS HD? Anybody bother to listen?
If not, Do the present BluRay and DVDHD drives have 1.1 or 1.3 HDMI outputs?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but the audio side is at least 50% of the experience and it never gets discussed, and none of the present self-contained palyers can do these functions properly..

Bill

it's 50% of the experience for you, but not for me, the picture quality is 90% of it for me

PowerDVD Ultra on mine has the Dolby TrueHD logo but not DTS HD if that helps (there's the normal DTS logo and another I can't read properly)
post #202 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yang88she View Post

hey gump can you kinda explain to me how you go about making the screen the primary?

b/c i have it cloned and I still get the same error (clone and extended)

both screens are native 1920 x 1200

I even tried setting both screens to 1920 x 1080

Hi Yang,

because of the problems I had getting PDVD Ultra to work on my Laptop, I started a quick thread here called "How to get the HD DVD add-on working on your PC in five minutes flat" where I've laid out the key things that I found you have to watch out for.

I'll be discussing some of the issues others have found too and how to get around them.

I've done Nvidia and laptops first - and I'll be getting to ATI installs later this week, as well as how to get the multichannel lossless audio over things like Fireware (ie from Laptops).

The thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=775177

Enjoy!
post #203 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:

Thanks Tinker! Can you please confirm that this works over HDMI/DVI digitally with PowerDVD Ultra? I am DONE with restocking fees or trading components to get this working. Thus, it's gotta be SOLID with the XBox/PowerDVD combo.

Yes the ones I have used works with ULTRA over HDMI and DVI to HDCP displays. Note that these cards dont have VGA port without the use of an adapter (DVI-VGA included). Didnt test VGA since my main TV's dont have VGA. Too lazy to test on my gaming systems....

EDIT: note that PDVD Ultra still has some bugs.

post #204 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Vern,
Thanks a lot for the confirmation on getting yxy to work. How would you rate PowerDVD PQ to the Tosh HD DVD player? Do you see a PQ benefit with using the HDPC vs. the tosh/scaler combo?

Also, I found this comment on the audio side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesanjuro View Post

2) is it possible to get LPCM output for titles w/ True HD or DTS-HD? (i am using a chaintech av710 w/ spdif.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod View Post

yes, but not through spdif... powerdvd will decode it if u choose 5.1 channel speaker setting and then have your sound card send the 6 channel thru analog out... just like DVD Audio or SACD

However, I'm wondering if there is an output screen that shows the True-HD track selected or if this is a subjective comparison to the standard tracks...

Now I just need to decide on new mb/ram and get this new build going....
post #205 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

This option is resulting in much confusion for me as well.

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe that has a sound chip that supports encoding DTS from analog.

I have two partitions on my system, one set up for HD DVD using the Xbox add on, and the other set up for BD using the LiteOn LH-2B1S 187C.

On the HD DVD partition the option is greyed out.

On the BD partition, the option can be selected, and results in any and all types of Audio tracks including PCM being encoded into DTS and sent out over the SPDIF cable.

So I am confused as well.

BTW, both partitions are identical, with identical versions of OS, drivers, and PDVD Deluxe.

Vern

Can you compare the registry settings of BD and HD-DVD version? Maybe you can find the entry and enable it in the HD-DVD version. Would be great!
post #206 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
Hi guys

I just found a way to install this the HD DVD version without any drives installed.

But a WARNING: DO A BACKUP before you install anything, just in case anything goes wrong. Also, do it at your own risk. Don't murder me if I screw your comp up in any way.

Look into the PowerDVD folder. You will see two folders named "PDVDHD" and "PDVDBD".
Copy all the contents from "PDVDHD" and overwrite into "PDVDBD" folder.
(Optional: Delete the "PDVDHD" folder.)
Start the installation as normal. Installshield *should* install the HD DVD version.

And very interestingly, the HD DVD version is labeled as "PowerDVD v7.1"
post #207 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post

Hi guys

I just found a way to install this the HD DVD version without any drives installed.

But a WARNING: DO A BACKUP before you install anything, just in case anything goes wrong. Also, do it at your own risk. Don't murder me if I screw your comp up in any way.

Look into the PowerDVD folder. You will see two folders named "PDVDHD" and "PDVDBD".
Copy all the contents from "PDVDHD" and overwrite into "PDVDBD" folder.
(Optional: Delete the "PDVDHD" folder.)
Start the installation as normal. Installshield *should* install the HD DVD version.

And very interestingly, the HD DVD version is labeled as "PowerDVD v7.1"

Good tip...thanks.

post #208 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I asked this question earlier, but it appeared unnoticed:

As luck would have it, my HDCP compliant video board arrives today, but the Mobo/CPU upgrade, ordered at the same time, won't arrive for at least four more days. I'm impatient to try HD-DVD, as you can imagine.

If I buy the software today and install it on my current AM2 single core system (wondering how much it will overclock -- here's a project for the afternoon), will I have difficulties reinstalling on the new Core 2 Duo system later? Is there any online activation or phone home scheme that may think that I want to run it on more than one system?

Or should I just wait until Tuesday by which time WinDVD add on software might be released (not very likely in my opinion)?
post #209 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM

DJ79, it is hard for me to tell for sure, but the PowerDVD Ultra install was a pretty standard one -- they put up a web page with the serial number installation key and email a confirmation with the number in it, and then the installation process includes a request page for this key andyou type it in. It did not appear to do anything "web related" (and indeed I had to install it twice due to the BD edition being the default) -- i.e. nothing like validating Win XP.
post #210 of 8247 Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

I asked this question earlier, but it appeared unnoticed:

As luck would have it, my HDCP compliant video board arrives today, but the Mobo/CPU upgrade, ordered at the same time, won't arrive for at least four more days. I'm impatient to try HD-DVD, as you can imagine.

If I buy the software today and install it on my current AM2 single core system (wondering how much it will overclock -- here's a project for the afternoon), will I have difficulties reinstalling on the new Core 2 Duo system later? Is there any online activation or phone home scheme that may think that I want to run it on more than one system?

Or should I just wait until Tuesday by which time WinDVD add on software might be released (not very likely in my opinion)?

You install it but just dont reg it until you are satisfied with your final setup. Just activate it with the key they send via e-mail with link to download SW after purchase. If you dont reg it the SW will nag you about reg'ing but just tell it to remind you later. Just dont do any of the online reg stuff and you'll be OK.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page