WMP11, Cool WMV tweak tool and DXVA acceleration not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I suspect quite a few of you have found, upgrading to Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) seems to break the hardware WMV decoding that we had working with Windows Media Player 10 and requires more CPU power on systems that don't have video cards with functional hardware WMV decoding (like AGP 6800s).

We have 6 computers in our household, 5 of them running Media Center. The 4 faster ones, with the appropriate Microsoft patches, were able to play high definition WMV content (titles like Amazon, Discoverers, Step into Liquid, etc.) perfectly - until I upgraded to WMP11. Hardware WMV decoding (DXVA) was working and even if the video card didn't support WMV decoding (AGP 6800) there was still enough CPU power to play WMV HD perfectly.

With WMP11 installed, only the dual core CPU laptop and the AMD 64 3500+ combined with the PCI-E 6800 still can.

With WMP11 there is a check box in Advanced Video Acceleration Settings called "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration" (DXVA). I have discovered the CPU utilization on all systems doesn't change at all turning this on and off (even after exiting and restarting WMP11).

Clearly hardware WMV decoding is not working at all on any of our systems since upgrading to WMP11 (or at least the DXVA switch doesn't work at all).

Here's where that cool WMV tweak tool comes in. I did some searching and found there were others with this same problem and came upon the WMV9 Power Tool (note WMP11 uses WMV9 version 3 and the latest version of this tool is specifically designed for WMP11). It can be found here:

http://www.citizeninsomniac.com/WMV/

In the tool you can enable and disable DXVA as well as enable logging of DXVA. This tool is able to turn DXVA on and off and this does change the CPU load when playing WMV HD video through WMP11. For some weird reason when DXVA is turned on on the systems that were already able to play WMV HD content the video plays back smoother and starts more quickly, but instead of a decrease in CPU load, there is a slight increase in CPU load. For the systems that couldn't play back WMV HD with WMP11 they still cant. With WMP10 the CPU load went down significantly when DXVA was turned on (via the Microsoft patch), but for some reason CPU load actually increases with WMP11.

Basically what this means to me is my main HTPC in the home theater room (with the AGP6800) is no longer able to play WMV HD content, and my daughters ATI9800Pro and 2.7 GHz Celeron is also no longer able to play WMV HD content. I've tried every setting and combination of settings in the advanced video configuration combined with enabling/disabling DXVA through the tool on both of these systems and I have been unable to get WMV HD to play back on them.

Has anyone gone through this and figured out how to get WMV HD working after installing WMP11 (on borderline systems that were able to play it perfectly with WMP10)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2006, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually a slight update to the above. After enabling DXVA through the tool, getting DXVA to work, and then unchecking the DXVA control in the tool, one system started to allow DXVA control to be set using the configuration settings in WMP11 alone (I had only used CPU utilization to determine if DXVA was originally working so the DXVA switch could easily have worked on this system from the start).

This system has the PCI-E nvidia 6800, which is the most capable we have for hardware WMV decoding. All of the others will only use DXVA if enabled (or forced to) using the tool.

My guess is Microsoft only allows the DXVA setting in WMP11 to function if there is a very capable hardware WMV decoding card in the computer. In the case of the ATI9800Pro DXVA only works if set in the tool (and it is still unable to play WMV HD content - it's better with DXVA forced on, but not quite good enough).

Anyway you cut it, we're still now unable to play WMV HD in the one system where playing WMV HD is important to us (and with WMP10 installed it used to work very well).
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Slider View Post

As I suspect quite a few of you have found, upgrading to Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) seems to break the hardware WMV decoding that we had working with Windows Media Player 10 and requires more CPU power on systems that don't have video cards with functional hardware WMV decoding (like AGP 6800s)....Has anyone gone through this and figured out how to get WMV HD working after installing WMP11 (on borderline systems that were able to play it perfectly with WMP10)?

This does NOT work if you have an WMP 11 issue running on an XP x64 (not Vista) OS

We are, in essence, stardust...with consciousness. That..... is awe.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not just roll back to WMP10?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
uhh, why do you need to download a tool to do this? You can enable/disable video acceleration in the driver control panel or with dxdiag.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

Why not just roll back to WMP10?

It doesn't work. I can and have tried to roll back to the old player, but WMV HD still won't play and WMP10 on the main HTPC system now keeps crashing (even after reinstalling WMP10, uninstalling it and reinstalling it again - all after uninstalling WMP11). Upgrading again to WMP11 fixes the crashes, but still no WMV HD playback anymore.

WMP11 seems to totally imbed itself with the operating system and unwilling to fully uninstall.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

uhh, why do you need to download a tool to do this? You can enable/disable video acceleration in the driver control panel or with dxdiag.

Because enabling/disabling DXVA in the options doesn't work on all but 1 of our systems but using the tool does work (it can force hardware acceleration on).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page