CRT monitor has distracting ripples in it's picture, suggestions?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I turned on my PC a couple of hours ago, I clearly saw (and still do as I type this post) that my CRT monitor's picture has these distracting ripples going over it. I figured it was some kind of interference, so I degaussed it from it's menu................no dice. Tried turning the monitor off and on again and leaving it off for awhile................nein. Tried turning my TV (which despite being a few feet away from my monitor in another table has rarely if ever interfered with my monitor) off......................nothing. So I ask, what the hell should I do now??? Is my monitor's life starting to come to an end, or could this just be temporary??? I've witnessed smaller incidents of interference on my monitor before, but they went away pretty quickly. And the only things I have next to my monitor on my (small) desk are my VoIP modem, cordless phone w/dock and PC speakers, none of which I suspect have interfered with my monitor before..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The ripple is typical of a problem with the grounding of your various components. If you have moved any of the power cords recently that probably caused it. Make sure that the PC, the monitor, the modem, the powered speakers, and any other AC-powered parts hooked to the PC are all plugged into the same power strip, and that it has a single power cord connected to the wall receptacle. Make sure the third or ground conductor is present in alll power cords.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Condor Joe,

A picture is worth a thousand words - if you can take any close-up digital camera shots, that might help someone diagnose the problem (if it's not an AC power issue).

- Steve O.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, all of my PC appliances are connected to the same power strip and are all connected properly. I have 2 wall sockets near my desk area and both of them are occupied by 2 separate power strips, a method that up until now has worked flawlessly. I can only imagine that constantly turning my monitor on and off instead of leaving it on standby or screen saver over the years is the cause of this........
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2006, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's probably your cable or satellite connection that's causing the ground loop. Disconnect it from the wall or from your TV/satellite/cable box and see what happens.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, all of my PC-related appliances save for my modem have a third prong in their AC plugs (my modem has a regular 2-prong plug) and are plugged in to the same power strip. I've also noticed that the red light on the aforementioned power strip's Reset/Off button is flickering pretty awful, while my other, similar power strip plugged in to the other of my 2 wall outlets looks just fine (though that one has only 2 of it's 6 outlets occupied). Could the flickering light of my power strip's Reset button be a sign that the strip is about to go out or perhaps interference??? They're inexpensive Radio Shack power strips by the way, with some seemingly bare-bones surge protection (highlighted by the green LED light next to the "Reset" button that signifies surge protection).

Oh, and my monitor still has those distracting ripples, but I'll try your guys suggestions again.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

You didn't recently place any non-shielded speakers nearby, did you?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Like I've said, the only speakers I have nearby are my small Harmon-Kardon speakers that originally came with my Dell PC almost 5 years ago. And they've been near my monitor for well over a half-year, when I last moved around my PC into this new desk I got here.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Also, would contuining to use my monitor under these conditions cause harm to my vision, even though I don't notice it as much anymore???
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page