HTPC HDMI HDCP and Blu-Ray Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have been searching the internet for days for an answer to this problem.

Here's a list of the essential components I have for my home theater:

-Sony Vaio Media Center (Standard computer really with Media Center 2005 edition) with Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Disc Rewritable Drive (I upgraded to this drive)

-Asus 7600GT Video card with HDCP over HDMI port

-Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra BD Edition 7.2

-Yamaha HTR-5990 receiver

-Mitsubishi WD-65731 1080p DLP TV

Ok the Vaio computer has PowerDVD blu-ray edition installed along with the blu-ray drive. The video card is connected to the receiver through the hdmi port on the asus video card. Where the receiver is then connected to one of the hdmi ports on the back of the tv.

According to the cyberlink advisor program the HDMI path is hdcp protected. However, the video card output can only be set to 1080i or lower. I believe this is due to the yamaha receiver only being able to switch 1080i signals.

Since, 1080p is supported by both blu-ray and hddvd I've been trying to get a native 1080p signal from the htpc. Here's the problem...

When I connect the HDMI cable directly from the htpc video card to the mitsubishi tv, I can send a native 1080p signal to the tv. However, according to the cyberlink advisor the HDMI signal is not HDCP protected.

So in short, I have an HDCP protected signal over HDMI coming from the computer to the receiver to the tv at 1080i. When I connect the computer directly to the tv for a 1080p signal the HDMI signal is no longer protected by HDCP.

I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this one out, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I had the hyperlinks embedded but the avsforum made me remove them since this is my first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried changing the order in which you turn on the TV and the HTPC? I agree that shouldn't matter, but I've read postings from people who have done this. Something about the way the HDCP handshake is done on different TV sets vs what the software wants to do.

Just a suggestion.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of that I'll give that a try.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

That doesn't seem to be work either. Thanks for the advice though, and I'm still researching.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Try swapping cables, if you haven't already done so: swap the receiver-to-TV cable with the PC-to-receiver cable.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

I hate to inform you that you might be a person that has fall foul of the new HDMI specs.
There has been much bitching in some euro foums about this.
So called HD HDMI units that can't talk=handshake to each other.
It would appear that the same could be said of the PS3 if you read the posts ...Drop outs in the sound........not good SONY.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I connect the HDMI cable directly from the htpc video card to the mitsubishi tv, I can send a native 1080p signal to the tv. However, according to the cyberlink advisor the HDMI signal is not HDCP protected.

Ignoring the advisor what happens when you actually play a BD movie directly connected to the TV at 1080p?

Also do you have the latest drivers that support PureVideoHD?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxpmce_93.71.html
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ignoring the advisor what happens when you actually play a BD movie directly connected to the TV at 1080p?

Also do you have the latest drivers that support PureVideoHD?

PowerDVD will play for about 3 seconds then come up with an error saying HDCP protection failed. I can't remember the specific error message.

I reloaded the drivers yesterday, but they were the same (93.71). It didn't seem to help either.

Quote:

I hate to inform you that you might be a person that has fall foul of the new HDMI specs. There has been much bitching in some euro foums about this.
So called HD HDMI units that can't talk=handshake to each other.
It would appear that the same could be said of the PS3 if you read the posts ...Drop outs in the sound........not good SONY.

What's HD HDMI? How does it differ from HDMI and HDCP?

Quote:

Try swapping cables, if you haven't already done so: swap the receiver-to-TV cable with the PC-to-receiver cable.

I'll try this today.

On another note, I had the computer resolution set to 1080p yesterday while it was connected directly to the tv. When I plugged the computer back into the receiver and then into the tv, the resolution stayed at 1080p and HDCP was working, however, the picture suffered, I don't know the term for it but you could see individual white pixels moving around. So that didn't work either.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still hoping to get this working.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Tried swapping cables today, that didn't fix it either...
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
bowser15, the fact that you can run 1080p when directly connected to the TV, and then it actually works with a degraded signal through the receiver, indicates that you overcame the HDCP handshake problem. Hopefully you remember how you did so and can reproduce the steps. It is indeed often associated with the order one powers up the various components.

The remaining problem of degraded 1080p signal, only with the receiver in the loop, means that the receiver lacks the bandwidth to switch 1080p, which is 2X the bandwidth of 1080i. You will not be overcoming this problem with a procedure - only a new receiver.

If you don't want to replace the receiver, how about an external HDMI switch?

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

That might be it...I'm looking into switches now...Maybe I just need another component in between the computer and tv to fix the handshaking. If I buy one I'll let you know if works.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser15 View Post

-Sony Vaio Media Center (Standard computer really with Media Center 2005 edition) with Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Disc Rewritable Drive (I upgraded to this drive)

Bowser15: Sorry, I have an unrelated question.

I have been thinking of upgrading my HTPC to a blu ray. What are the specs of your computer.....CPU, memory? Where did you buy the drive?

Thanks.
Options
post #13 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have been thinking of upgrading my HTPC to a blu ray. What are the specs of your computer.....CPU, memory? Where did you buy the drive?

It's a sony vaio vgc-rc110g (the model is not really that helpful though). The specs are:

Pentium D 830 - Dual Core 3.0ghz

1.0GB Ram

Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Disc

Asus 7600GT w/HDMI and HDCP - (NewEgg Link)

Creative X-Fi Fatality Sound Card

Windows MCE 2005

Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.2 BluRay Edition

I can't think of any other details that are relevant. I posted in another thread about the processor speed being a tad to slow on AVC encoded movies, the other compressions schemes work fine. I bought the Sony Blu-ray drive at best buy. They only had one, and nobody wanted it but me apparently.

It's definitely worth upgrading there is no comparison between dvd, and bluray or bluray and broadcast hd for that matter. I'm only having so much trouble cause I'm never happy.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I posted a question to nvidia themselves about my problem. I'll post what they say.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Nvidia wrote back yesterday, they asked me to install the beta driver version 91.33. After looking through the updates that one provided it, I noticed it added support for the 7600 cards. I was confused as to why they wanted me to go back in drivers since I was under the impression all the drivers to date kept updates from previous drivers, oh well.

Anyway, it didn't work either, I was still able to make hdcp work under 1080i through the receiver but not 1080p directly to the computer. I'm starting to think it's the tv not wanting to accept a signal from the computer with hdcp.

I'll post whatever else nvidia say later.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

So Nvidia says the card is bad, could be as I connected it to an HDCP compatible computer monitor today, and it failed the cyberlink advisor as well.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 PM

Keep us posted on this issue...I'm thinking about a very similar setup (using either the Asus or MSI 7600GT w/ HDCP HDMI).

Thanks!

Nathan
post #18 of 18 Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it was the video card, some kind of issue with the HDCP chip. I bought another video card today, a 7900GS Card with HDCP made by MSI. It fixed the issue, I can no go straight to the tv, using a dvi -> hdmi cable and get 1080p. One thing that's weird is the card gives an upgrade warning in the cyberlink advisor, but I think the advisor program needs to be updated because it certainly works.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page