post #451 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOpus View Post

Keep in mind that the only way to get the next gen audio formats off a PC is analog (DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, etc). If you have good analog from your PC that compares to a $1600 receiver then you aren't doing too bad and you have allowed your PC to output these next gen formats.

Hmm, what about multi-channel PCM? In theory, wouldn't that pass the high resolution audio in digital format to any receiver that can accept a multichannel PCM input?

Now, whether there are sound cards that output a multi-channel PCM that is compatible with a receiver is another story.

Ozy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

Then that is upmix technology NOT a EQ.

Actually, DTS-ProLogicIIx-MUSIC is an upmix technology AND an EQ. The IIx upmixes to 7.1 but the MUSIC part is an EQ. I also have DTS-ProLogicIIx-MOVIE, etc.

Now that I'm playing pure DTS or pure stereo it is much better. I'm still testing various audio sources in 2 channel and 5 channel and still can't hear a difference. It's amazing.
post #453 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 View Post

Hmm, what about multi-channel PCM? In theory, wouldn't that pass the high resolution audio in digital format to any receiver that can accept a multichannel PCM input?

Now, whether there are sound cards that output a multi-channel PCM that is compatible with a receiver is another story.

Ozy

A question I always wanted to ask: Is analog and PCM the same thing? Or is PCM a digital format?
post #454 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbossa View Post

I've got both the laptop and HTPC going as pure direct as I can: No EQ, no room correction, both cards are set to two channel only, speakers are set to large (since I can't use the sub in a 2.1 config with the current XM drivers).

I listened to multiple stereo sources in this fashion and it was next to impossible to tell the difference between the two.

I guess what's bugging me right now is that the money I spent on the card and the mods could have went to getting the crossovers in my RF-7's upgraded which would have surely produced a bigger difference. On the other hand, it took the tests above to show me how lousy and form of receiver EQ is. From now on, if I use anything it will simply be room correction at the most. No more EQ to modify the signal.

Is it at all possible that my Pio is up to par with my modded XM? The strange thing is that other people have compared it to the likes of Arcam and better.

My head hurts...

It's quite possible that the analog out of your Pioneer is very good. I would not rule that out. It's very strange that they sould EXACTLY alike though. I can't tell you how many different variations I got from using different cards and OpAmp and even analog outs from my standalone players. For both to sound the same it makes me think that the receiver seems to be creating the final output which is why they seem to sound identical. My Outlaw literally just switches the analog outputs to the amp when it's in bypass mode. This might be different with your Pioneer. Still, it might sound identical to your Pioneer.

Keep in mind. This is a GOOD thing. There is a lot of flexibility that is gained by having a good analog output from your PC. Games will sound amazing through your stereo adn you will be able to run the newest processing standards that will NOT pass over SPDIF (try adding a X-Box HD-DVD player for $180 - voila, you have HD-DVD).

Question.. is your output set to 44 Khz or 96? I hear more detail when its set to 44Khz. Try that and compare it.
post #455 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 View Post

Ozy

In short.. no. There are sound cards that can ouput mutichannel PCM over a specialized DIN connector. Currently there are no receivers/pre-amps that can reciever this plug. I think the bandwidth of this connection type is not good enough for DTS-HD or Doby Pure HD though. These will pass digitally over HDMI 1.3 only.
post #456 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's quite possible that the analog out of your Pioneer is very good. I would not rule that out. It's very strange that they sould EXACTLY alike though. I can't tell you how many different variations I got from using different cards and OpAmp and even analog outs from my standalone players. For both to sound the same it makes me think that the receiver seems to be creating the final output which is why they seem to sound identical. My Outlaw literally just switches the analog outputs to the amp when it's in bypass mode. This might be different with your Pioneer. Still, it might sound identical to your Pioneer.

Keep in mind. This is a GOOD thing. There is a lot of flexibility that is gained by having a good analog output from your PC. Games will sound amazing through your stereo adn you will be able to run the newest processing standards that will NOT pass over SPDIF (try adding a X-Box HD-DVD player for $180 - voila, you have HD-DVD).

Question.. is your output set to 44 Khz or 96? I hear more detail when its set to 44Khz. Try that and compare it.

I thought that the 44KHz or 96KHz only affected the digital out. When I disable the digital out on the XM those settings become greyed out. Are you saying that they still affect the sound quality for the analog outs even though the digital out has been disabled? I actually had it set to 192!
post #457 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought that the 44KHz or 96KHz only affected the digital out. When I disable the digital out on the XM those settings become greyed out. Are you saying that they still affect the sound quality for the analog outs even though the digital out has been disabled? I actually had it set to 192!

Yeah.. I think it upmixes it to that setting. I find 192 to be less detailed as it has to be reprocessed by the Oxygen chip (even for analog!). This seems a bit strange to me, but I have checked it many times. It might actually be a driver bug.

Mine is not greyed out when the SPDIF is enabled (except when Dolby Digital Live or DTS interactive are selected.

Try 44Khz and see if that makes a difference.

Are you running Vista or XP ?
post #458 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah.. I think it upmixes it to that setting. I find 192 to be less detailed as it has to be reprocessed by the Oxygen chip (even for analog!). This seems a bit strange to me, but I have checked it many times. It might actually be a driver bug.

Mine is not greyed out when the SPDIF is enabled (except when Dolby Digital Live or DTS interactive are selected.

Try 44Khz and see if that makes a difference.

Are you running Vista or XP ?

I'll try it right away. I'm running XP PRO. I'm noticing that the second box below also shows 192KHz but that one isn't greyed out. Funny how I never noticed it before. I'll test everything again and report my findings. Thanks man!
post #459 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll try it right away. I'm running XP PRO. I'm noticing that the second box below also shows 192KHz but that one isn't greyed out. Funny how I never noticed it before. I'll test everything again and report my findings. Thanks man!

One final FYI is that XP DOES cause a loss in quality when the volume is decreased. Vista handles this much better. So.. just keep that in mind, when you go to Vista your sound will improve a bit.
post #460 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

R U Talking about XP or Vista? All I see in XP is those setting are for Digital audio out. Your saying they affect analog quality?
post #461 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

R U Talking about XP or Vista? All I see in XP is those setting are for Digital audio out. Your saying they affect analog quality?

Apparantly it does though I haven't yet tried it. Will do after supper.

You'll see that there are TWO places where it shows the kHz setting (one on top of the other). Even though you disable the S/PDIF output there is still a separate notification box below it which says:

2CH _|-|_|-|_> 44.1kHz

That's what I kept overlooking before. I thought it was just for digital but it's actually a GLOBAL setting.

I also read many places that said to keep it at 44kHz if you want the best audio quality but I still set it to 192kHz because I thought that the rules didn't apply to me.... I'm such a putz

AVOpus, I do have ONE question about this though. How come no matter how many speakers I specify the box always shows "2CH"?
post #462 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Your talking about Vista OK. That box will show whatever you set in the Vista Audio control panel. I personally don't like that setting the number of inputs speakers or whatever. I like the card just accepting what it is given and working from there..
post #463 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your talking about Vista OK. That box will show whatever you set in the Vista Audio control panel. I personally don't like that setting the number of inputs speakers or whatever. I like the card just accepting what it is given and working from there..

I have that box and I'm running Media Center 2005. In order to change what I see in that box, I have to enable digital out, make the changes in there, and then disable digital out.
post #464 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You asked about the 2ch box, THis reflects what has been set in the Audio control panel.
post #465 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You asked about the 2ch box, THis reflects what has been set in the Audio control panel.

Audio control panel? You mean the AUZEN X-Meridian 7.1 applet in the Windows control panel, right? I thought that that's what we've been talking about all along? I think it might be a setting within Vista but there is nothing in XP or Media Center where you can specify the kHz setting (at least none that I know of).
post #466 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I did another A/B test setting everything to 44 kHz. I used Sara K's Would You Break My Heart as the source material. I also cranked it up to near reference level so that any differences would be more apparant. Again, they were virtually identical. The only difference I was able to discern was the the bass sounded fuller and more musical with the XM. Aside from that, if anyone could hear the difference.... I would bow down before them!

I'm wondering if the Pio is still doing some kind of processing even in pure analog direct mode (as suggested by AVOpus). Perhaps the only way I could do a true test would be by using a dedicated separate amp and have the XM connect to it on one side and the Pio's analog outs connect to it as well. It's just that it would get complicated to do a realtime A/B test because I only have the one pair of Klipsch RF-7's.

I still remain with the opinion that my Pio is up to par with this card even though many of you would find that hard to believe. Perhaps when I try it out with a dedicated amp I'll change my mind.
post #467 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am talking about the audio control panel in the Vista Control Panel. IT allows you to set the defazult card and set up the speakers etc. Whatever yo uset here...2 ch, 4ch,5.1 ch when yo u go back to the XM control panel the box at the top will show what config you chose.
post #468 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

If you are running XP. I think you need to set the Sound Control Panel in XP (not the Auzentech one) to 5.1 channels. The the Auzentech panel should show 6/8 channels.

Interesting that you said this. I think you have been upmixing 2 channels to 6 the whole time.
post #469 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you are running XP. I think you need to set the Sound Control Panel in XP (not the Auzentech one) to 5.1 channels. The the Auzentech panel should show 6/8 channels.

The Sounds and Audio Devices applet is showing two speakers. The Auzentech control panel shows this:

Auzen

Whatever change I make in the Auzentech control panel automatically updates the Speaker Setup info in the Windows control panel.

However, like I said before, there is no place in XP to specify 44kHz or 96kHz except for the Auzentech control panel.

AVOpus, I can't say that I fully understood your last post....
post #470 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're running XP, then the dreaded kmixer is mangling the sound horribly for both the XM and the Pio.... that's why they sound the same.... there is NO comparrison between the sound quality of XP and Vista.... unless you're running an X-FI which obviates the kmixer in XP....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #471 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

If you're running XP, then the dreaded kmixer is mangling the sound horribly for both the XM and the Pio.... that's why they sound the same.... there is NO comparrison between the sound quality of XP and Vista.... unless you're running an X-FI which obviates the kmixer in XP....

Well, I definitely wouldn't say horribly mangled sound. It sounds pretty damned good to me. But, if it means that it will be that much better with Vista maybe I should make the move.

So, what you're saying is that the analog sound quality coming out of my XM between XP and Vista will be like night and day?
post #472 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 PM

You could also try foobar with kernel streaming or asio in the output settings.

This gets around kmixer in XP
post #473 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclare View Post

You could also try foobar with kernel streaming or asio in the output settings.

This gets around kmixer in XP

Cool, I'll give that a try and post the results.
post #474 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Jim White, you said:

"...If you're running XP, then the dreaded kmixer is mangling the sound horribly for both the XM and the Pio.... that's why they sound the same.... there is NO comparrison between the sound quality of XP and Vista.... unless you're running an X-FI which obviates the kmixer in XP...."

Would using Foobar's kernel streaming component, allowing the sound card to completely bypass the windows kmixer, provide a similar result to what Vista would offer?
post #475 of 2138 Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

The text below was taken from an article on this site:

ASIO and Kernel Streaming

A word on Kmixer: Kmixer is a very generic term for a part of the Windows Audio Stack. There are different versions of the Windows audio "system" - there is the older AC97 spec (which resampled the hell out of everything and everything - I think to 48khz if I am not mistaken). And then there are newer variants - the Intel HDA (High Definition Audio) "Azalia" spec for onboard Hi-Def / Hi-res capable codecs like the Realtek ALC880 or the Cmedia CMI9880.

Enter Vista. Realtek has come out with a ALC888, and Cmedia has come out with some new fandagled DSP software for the CMI9880 platform called "Hydrogen". (Seems like a simliar direction of the "Oxygen" 8787/8788 PCI cards.)

Microsoft seems to be handshaking with the "media" giants for onboard codecs, but a lot of PCI card vendors are still shrugging their shoulders when asked about Vista drivers. I say if you're kernel streaming or using ASIO under XP, be happy for a few years until the bugs are ironed out of Vista (with respect to audio AND in general).

Let's face it. XP is NOT a bad OS if it's configured and streamlined correctly. Vista promises better multi-media.

One thing to be aware of: todays "multi-media" is more about compatibility with the latest multichannel formats, and conformance to new DRM requirements than it is about SOUND QUALITY. Microsoft is so DRM happy (with audio AND computer software) you're soon going to need to insert a DNA sample into your computer just to turn it on.

I'm sticking with Foobar, Winamp, ASIO and KS plugins, Aedio Japan crossovers, and the 64 bit *math* Thuneau Allocator/Arbitrator.

I'd need to do some serious component upgrades to my speakers and amps before getting a "better" digital front end is going to make an appreciable difference.

So there you have it. Use ASIO or Kernel Streaming and those settings are a mute point. Either ASIO or Kernel Streaming will result in exclusive access to the audio device. In fact, a few folks have COMPLAINED that when using Kernel Streaming or ASIO output plugins they lose all other Windows "system sounds".

Well duh guys. That *was* the whole POINT! )

Cheers,
Presto

From what he's saying here, using either ASIO or Kernel Streaming components in programs such as Foobar will provide similar performance to using Vista since it results in exclusive access to the X-Meridian. I just tried an A/B test at very low levels (because the kids are asleep) and I think I might be starting to hear a bit of a difference. I'm anxious to try it out tomorrow at normal volume levels. Maybe this is exactly the type of thing that all XM owners running analog should be using.
post #476 of 2138 Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The bugaboo in kMixer that is genericly called the kMixer "veil" on sound is the Sample Rate Converter. This has nothing to do with volume control dithering and bit-perfect at max volume only which affects the ability to play a DTS encoded wave file. Don't get me started.... the whole Bit-Perfect thing got blown way out of proportion by peple who confused the test methodolgy with the problems actual impact! That said... In order to be able to simultaneously play multiple sound streams from various sources, we need a mixer. Enter kMixer. In addition, the mixer must accomodate differing bitrates on the various streams presented to it. Enter Sample Rate Converter. It converts all incoming audio streams to 48 KHz. This, in and of itself is NOT a bad thing! Well, providing it is done properly! The SRC code used in XP is not very good at it (as well as the SRC in pre-X-Fi Soundblasters). I don't recall the exact numbers, but suffice it to say that the resultant distortion artifacts when converting a 44.1 KHz CD track to 48 KHz are clearly audible. Enter the Veil. One of the ways around this is to use a high quality SRC plugin to convert the 44.1 KHz track to 48 KHz before kMixer get's ahold of it (doesn't work with those early soundblasters though!). Then, kMixer simply mixes in your music track without doing any nasty conversions. I assume that the approaches using kernel streaming and ASIO bypass kMixer altogether and present the audio to the dacs in the native sample rate, though this requires one to jump through hoops to keep the system in this "tricked up" state. Enter Vista and X-FI. You wonder why they are presented together? Well, they work the same (in this context) and X-FI works in XP . The SRC code in Vista and the SRC implemented in X-FI both do a wonderful job of converting 44.1 KHz CD tracks to 48 KHz with distortion artifacts near -136db, FAR below audibility! Those of you with XM cards are at the mercy of the dreaded kMixer if you are running XP, unless you use an SRC plugin or do the hoop jumping thing....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #477 of 2138 Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the insight, Jim. Can you (or anyone else) say where one can download an SRC plugin to try out? I am determined to prove that my XM will outperform my Pio... even it I have to "jump through hoops" as you put it! I just found one HERE though I don't know if it's the 'best' one out there.
post #478 of 2138 Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Here's one I just found for Foobar:

SRC

From what I understand I would either use this OR ks/ASIO, not both...
post #479 of 2138 Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Crap, neither of them work with Foobar 2000 v0.9.4.2....

I'm wondering if it would be worth using an older version of Foobar for this purpose. I'll keep trying to find a SRC that works for this version.
post #480 of 2138 Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Difference between my Audigy 2 going optical to my Pio on one machine and Foobar using either KS or ASIO on an XM card (analog out to my Pio) on the other machine........ no difference whatsoever tested using three different audio tracks. I attempted kernel streaming at both 16-bit and 24-bit with and without dithering. If anyone can accurately tell the difference in audio here I should sell all my gear and take up ping-pong
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page