The X-Meridian 7.1 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2138 Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I found the best music performance run X-FI in audio creation mode with Bit-matched output. The improvement is not subtle which suggests to me that the card may be capable of outperforming the current vista drivers.

My worry is that Creative could care less, they are working on getting a basic set of bloatware working on vista and a re-write to improve/restore game performance. Audio concerns seem to mostly located in Marketing

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2138 Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think with Creative Labs, Pure sound quality has always been on the back burner for them. Aslong as their newest card has EAX X then the card will sell. Case in point is the X-fi elite with trash opamps as you guys put it.

I checked the Auzentech site and they have updated information regarding the X-Tension DIN board. I hope this means it is getting ready to be released to the public.

Specifications

Mic Preamplifier
1) Peak level : 0dBFS @ -40dBV
2) Gain Adjustment : Gain +20dB up
3) 5V power supply (Condenser Mic)
4) Connector Type : 1/4 TRS Input

MIDI I/O
1) 1-in, 1-out 16 MIDI channels in and out
2) Connector Type : MIDI Standard MIDI 5-pin DIN

Digital In
1) Connector Type : RCA or Optical Combo
2) Format : IEC-60958 Consumer(S/PDIF)
3) Sampling Rate :44.1,48,96,192kHz
4) Resolution : 24-bit

Digital Out
1) Connector Type : RCA or Optical Combo

G9 Digital Out
1) Connector Type : 9-pin Mini Din Jack

Nice list of features for such a small companion board. I will be getting one to go with my XM and I/O Bracket I made for the Aux_In and the CD_IN. My audio will take up 3 slots now! -Atleast I have lots of I/O for my gear
post #723 of 2138 Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 PM

my first post on these forums

a bit of a n00b question here but what (brand/type) of cables are you using to connect the x-meridian to your receiver.

If there is anyone from the UK/EU answering this question, where did you get these cables from.

Thanks.
post #724 of 2138 Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Cables:
I'm using these, quite thick and need to be trimmed to fit.
The favourite, Monter's
I think this is also good for the price
post #725 of 2138 Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm ordering these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Monster-Cable-mic...QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to be of even better quality than the other Monster cables that we keep seeing.
post #726 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you notice how much rubber is on those 3.5mm plugs, your probably gonna have to cut some of it off with a knife. When you get them let us know if there is any difference.
post #727 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 AM

I got a custom set made by Blue Jeans Cable, really nice job, but I forgot how tight the spacing was on the output jacks, so I had to get cheap 3.5mm extension and then plug my Blue Jeans into those....Kind of defeates the pupose I guess.
post #728 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I ended up going with these...they're on their way so we'll see how they work out. Radioshack has them online and they'll ship free to a store location.

http://www.monstercable.com/productDisplay.asp?pin=135
post #729 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

I ended up going with these...they're on their way so we'll see how they work out. Radioshack has them online and they'll ship free to a store location.

Geez, you're right. The cables look nice and thick and the miniplug connector looks very flat so it should be able to fit side by side with others. Now that I'm looking at this I feel like a schmuck for having ordered the other ones.
post #730 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MOst of them I think are designed to be used for hooking up a Ipod or other device. The concept of multiple 3.5mm jack side by side doesn't enter into it. I am thinking of making a few custom sets for some guys.
@dbossa, usually you can just carve off some of the rubber around the plug.
post #731 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbossa View Post

Geez, you're right. The cables look nice and thick and the miniplug connector looks very flat so it should be able to fit side by side with others. Now that I'm looking at this I feel like a schmuck for having ordered the other ones.

I went with these cables too...they worked great!

Here is a pic of the bypassed/removed capacitors (circled in yellow) for anyone else who is unclear as to which caps need to be removed. In place of the caps I used some buss wire. You can also see the location of where the LM4562's go.

My audio system setup is a Rotel RSP-1068 pre-amp, RMB 1075 Amp, B&W 703's fronts, B&W HTM-7 center and B&W HTM-7's for the rear with a Rel Strata sub. Before this card I used to listen to DVD-A's thru a Panasonic RP-91. The sound was pretty awesome. For regular Cd's I played them through a Shanling CDT-100 which is a pretty nice tube CD player ($1500).

I never heard this card in it's stock form so I can't compare it to it's original state. The only thing I can compare it to is my current audio setup.

I am running Vista 32 with the latest Auzentech drivers, no adjustments in the software, straight analog out 44 KHZ for CD's 48KHZfor DVD-A. The music is on two 200 discs Sony VGP-XLB1-2 changers, nothing fancy.......All I can say is Wow! Very smooth, transparent sound, nice tight bass. Pretty amazing! In comparison to my Shanling, I have to say I like this better. It sounds silky smooth even at high volumes. I never would have expected it!

I guess I am going to have to get the blackgate cap to see what improvement that makes....Very happy to say the least! Thanks to you guys, I bought this card. I would have never known about it otherwise! AVS is the best!

Fran
post #732 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

MOst of them I think are designed to be used for hooking up a Ipod or other device. The concept of multiple 3.5mm jack side by side doesn't enter into it. I am thinking of making a few custom sets for some guys.
@dbossa, usually you can just carve off some of the rubber around the plug.

I tried to make some custom cables...but for less than $20 a set for the Monsters, it wasn't worth the hassle for me.
post #733 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM

@fmzip

You've bypassed only the left channel caps... You gotta bypass the 2 caps to the bottom right of each opamp as well.

Should look like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=73548
as per markk02474's post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9538227

The black gate cap mod I'm told won't make any difference to the audio output...

The reason they change them on the X-Fi's is due to longevity
(+ it's possible the stock X-fi cap isn't big enough)
post #734 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM

I'm really tempted by that cap mod, but I have so much to loose if something goes wrong. After performing the cap mod, do you guys measure the output DC while playing something or at idle?
post #735 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythagore View Post

I'm really tempted by that cap mod, but I have so much to loose if something goes wrong. After performing the cap mod, do you guys measure the output DC while playing something or at idle?

you can measure it at idle.
post #736 of 2138 Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

I went with these cables too...they worked great!

Here is a pic of the bypassed/removed capacitors (circled in yellow) for anyone else who is unclear as to which caps need to be removed. In place of the caps I used some buss wire. You can also see the location of where the LM4562's go.

Fran

Yeah, you need to fix that other channel. Your imaging is probably a bit off. The good news is that the sound will only get better and you already like it now. Cheers!
post #737 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 04:55 AM

Wow, that looks like some clean work. What gauge wire did everyone end up using across the points?
post #738 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you need to fix that other channel. Your imaging is probably a bit off.

Wow... if it sounds SO good with caps on one side and no caps on the other, maybe the caps really have no significant degradation.... you would think that if they did, this configuration would sound TERRIBLE !!!

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #739 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you need to fix that other channel. Your imaging is probably a bit off.

Wow... if it sounds SO good with caps on one side and no caps on the other, maybe the caps really have no significant degradation.... you would think that if they did, this configuration would sound TERRIBLE !!!

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #740 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@FMZIP, Yeah, that is some very clean soldering you did there. You did this or a pro? or are you a pro? Anyway the idea for the blackgate was mentioned around here before the X-fi thread ever came into the picture. A few people though the PS Cap on the XM might be starving the card of power so it was thought that replacng the card would help with Bass and dynamic's although the current results have been mixed.
@jim, I don't think it swould sound terrible, just the right side wouldn't be as clear might be hard to notice in stereo if your using headphones you would probably pick it up.
post #741 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 AM

@ROBSCIX

If you're referring to markk27xx's post about power supply mods..

He talks of replacing the 2 capacitors above and below each opamp...

Not the big one that AVOpus and others have replaced.

From blcare:

Capacitors connected to pins 4 and 8 are power supply bypass capacitors and are there to absorb noise, and keep the opamp stable. In my opinion they will have negligible impact on the sound.
post #742 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 186
For those looking for cables, I like the Acoustic Research Pro II Series cables for my X-Fi Elite. The mini connector is small enough for both the M-Audio Revolution and the X-Fi. Also, the mini to two RCA cable is 3' for those that don't want long cables. You can buy them at Amazon.com or other online vendors.
post #743 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Spirit 02. Yes those are the ones I was refering to. I haven't spoke to him for quite a while. I had ask him to explain it to me and IIRC, he said those caps may be starving the opamps of needed power. I will see if I can find the notes regarding that subject. What is the point of modding the large cap then?
post #744 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@FMZIP, Yeah, that is some very clean soldering you did there. You did this or a pro? or are you a pro? Anyway the idea for the blackgate was mentioned around here before the X-fi thread ever came into the picture. A few people though the PS Cap on the XM might be starving the card of power so it was thought that replacng the card would help with Bass and dynamic's although the current results have been mixed.
@jim, I don't think it swould sound terrible, just the right side wouldn't be as clear might be hard to notice in stereo if your using headphones you would probably pick it up.

I actually am a sales rep for a company that assembles printed circuit boards. The board was reworked by an IPC certified solderer which is why it looks so good! Hard to tackle this job without the proper soldering iron and magnification and hands of a surgeon! I couldn't possibly handle those little tiny pieces of buss wire, let alone make them straight!
post #745 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOpus View Post

Yeah, you need to fix that other channel. Your imaging is probably a bit off. The good news is that the sound will only get better and you already like it now. Cheers!

Did I miss something in my interpretation of the mod? Are there supposed to be other caps bypassed that aren't?

I blieve the operator used 28-30 ga buss wire
post #746 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought it was done by a pro, the are just too nice!! -For my reference, if others wanted this done what kind of bill would they be looking at? -I will just do mine myself but quite afew guys won't..
Yes, you need to bypass further caps -look at the two on the bottom of the Opamps you removed them on the left. They need to be removed on the RIGHT aswell.
post #747 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit2 View Post

@fmzip

You've bypassed only the left channel caps... You gotta bypass the 2 caps to the bottom right of each opamp as well.

Should look like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=73548
as per markk02474's post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9538227

The black gate cap mod I'm told won't make any difference to the audio output...

The reason they change them on the X-Fi's is due to longevity
(+ it's possible the stock X-fi cap isn't big enough)

#&*%$$! The picture I had did not have those caps bypassed.......It did seem that my left channel was quite a bit more in the forefront than the right. I hadn't set up my pre amp yet so I thought that was why! Guess I need to take care of that!! Thanks for pointing that out
post #748 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

The black gates that markk27xx mentioned, were to replace the caps that he ended up jumpering around anyway. He didn't mention any particular capacitor to use for the opamps power supply. (As far as I can tell)

I'm not entirely sure why those who have put a 2200uf 16V black gate on there have done so. The X-Fi thread suggests that for the X-Fi, the stock cap on there isn't big enough, and that the jamicon isn't likely to last very long. Hence using the black gate.

In my discussions with bclare, he said the 'power supply' caps are there to absorb noise, and to keep the opamp stable. Dunno how this figures in with markk0247's thought on them.
post #749 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know the pic your talking about. No biggie just take it back to the person and have them finish the mod for you. What did you notice about the sound in the left channel better? You actually have the ability to do A/B comparisons by using the balance slider. This way you can fully notice what the mod has done to improve your sound. this is aunique oppurtunity, can you give use the low down of the difference you hear?
@Spirit, yeah That discussion was in PM's. I got it mixed up with forum posts.
I know why they were doing the mod on the X-fi -given the reason you mentioned.
Just unsure why people adopted that particular MOD right down to the part# and spec.
post #750 of 2138 Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

#&*%$$! The picture I had did not have those caps bypassed.......It did seem that my left channel was quite a bit more in the forefront than the right. I hadn't set up my pre amp yet so I thought that was why! Guess I need to take care of that!! Thanks for pointing that out

Yeah... you woulda been looking at the first of the 2 modding posts that markk0247 posted...

(The first only has the left channel bypassed).

At least this will fix up what you're hearing

You're welcome
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page