Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am going to wait until I get moved (in 6 days) to setup CW_EPG and then I will be back in business.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Nani, the fact that .tp, etc., play at all is prima facie evidence of an MPEG-2 decoder's existence.
Hi,

Ha, you are right. The Devico Fusion5 add on is an encoder.

Quote:
".mpg" is the same as ".tp" with Windows Media Player, video plays with NO sound.
The Vista MediaCenter Decoder Utility shows that "Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder" and "Microsoft MPEG-1/DD Audio Decoder" are default with Nero and Pinnacle (audio only) as alternates.

I traced the no sound to my test ".tp" / ".mpg" having two audio tracks, VLC selects track 2 with English, Windows Media Player selects track 1 with French and no sound.

In looking for an audio track switch in Windows Media Player I discovered a way to get lots of related information.

1. Right click the task bar in Windows Media Player and show classic menus.

2. Click on help and about Windows Media Player.

3. Click on Technical support Information.

I have attached mine so you need not start the dangerous Windows Media Player just to see what is contained.

SHF

Support Information for Windows Media Player.zip 11.541015625k . file
post #183 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

My test ".tp" is proving to be a very nasty one to try and play with WMC.

"269681228-KTEHDT2-090909-0130-Quest-Wastewater Woes-Eclipse Chasers.tp"

After several tries I got HDTV2MPG to produce a ".mpg" that "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center" will play with both video and audio.

But it plays at extreme fast forward and then extremely slow.

Quest-Wastewater Woes-Eclipse Chasers.0000.mpg

TSReader Lite for the ".tp" renamed to ".ts" attached.

SHF

Quest.zip 1.1728515625k . file
post #184 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 15
It is well known that H2M is generally unsuitable for converting TS to PS (mpg).

Why don't you have it output a TS containing only the desired audio track instead? That should play well in any player that supports TS playback, even brain-dead ones that have no way to select among multiple audio tracks.
post #185 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is well known that H2M is generally unsuitable for converting TS to PS (mpg).

Why don't you have it output a TS containing only the desired audio track instead? That should play well in any player that supports TS playback, even brain-dead ones that have no way to select among multiple audio tracks.

Hi,

Well I could not generate a TS file using HDTV2MPG that Windows Media Player liked. I tried several combinations.

I then tried VideoReDo and it threw up opening the ".tp" file!

Bottom line, use VLC (Or MyHD, Fusion) and forget about Windows Media Center like I will.

SHF
post #186 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If VRD choked on it, it was a bum file somehow.
post #187 of 230 Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If VRD choked on it, it was a bum file somehow.

Hi,

On VRD TV Suite ".tp" file open the cursor goes to near the end. Trying to move toward start of the file produces a seek error and Quick Stream Fix suggested. QSF aborted the first time.

Second try with VRD TV Suite, Quick Stream Fix did not abort but my attempt to select the English audio failed.

---------------------------------------------------

I watched the entire program on my HTPC a few days ago using VLC media player from my NAS, I saw no problems.

I just copied the file to a local disk on my HTPC (Wireless N is fast!!!) and checked using MyHD and FusionHDTV.

The file sure looks good to VLC, MyHD and Fusion!

SHF
post #188 of 230 Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

As I am seeing so many problems with W7 and MyHD in particular, I am adding W7 to this discussion.

Want to see if your computer can explode?

Enable MyHD's overlay window and keep opening and closing MyHD until the overlay window gets to a negative size.

SHF
post #189 of 230 Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Will any MyHD users on W7 please check in here.

I am seeing so many problems I wonder if anyone is trying to use MyHD on W7.

I expect to get my XP system back up and in use as my main HTPC soon.

SHF
post #190 of 230 Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nani, I'm running MyHD on a W7 computer and the only "issue" that I've seen is the unstable size of the overlay window (which I don't use anyway). It's been running very well for regular duty as the primary CW_EPG-scheduled tuner on that PC.
post #191 of 230 Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nani, I'm running MyHD on a W7 computer and the only "issue" that I've seen is the unstable size of the overlay window (which I don't use anyway). It's been running very well for regular duty as the primary CW_EPG-scheduled tuner on that PC.
Hi,

I need to build my complete list but I have a new one to add troubles with:

CW_EPG 4.1

Tuesday night Football was about to start so I did not look too hard at it but having both CW_EPG and MyHD up at the same time seem to make MyHD's remote not work just like trying to use both VLC Media Player and MyHD at the same time.

And using the trackball to use MyHD's controller also was not functioning.

I must have something set up wrong as it is taking three (3) minutes and thirty (30) seconds for CW_EPG's option screen to come up and thirty (30) seconds for it to go away on a cancel.

I had to swap in the W7 system before I had much time with it due to my Vista system getting a BSOD and was not heard from again until I played with the memory cards. I had problems before with the memory sockets on that motherboard. And my 2004 Motherboard is also working.

I want to get a XP system up and running so I can get the W7 system offline so I can learn more about W7.

I use MyHD for KTEH / KICU captures with an antenna just for them. Otherwise for live TV due to it's great time shifting. I use Fusion just for playback or VLC Media player. I am unhappy that VLC and MyHD do not play well together, and now CW_EPG.

SHF
post #192 of 230 Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It does sound as though you have something set up wrong. I will PM you some debugging instructions.
post #193 of 230 Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I am considering changing the title of this thread to:

"MyHD on Vista & W7 / W8 Main Thread"

or "Wx" to be future proof,

Should I do this?

SHF
post #194 of 230 Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

Will any MyHD users on W7 please check in here.

I am seeing so many problems I wonder if anyone is trying to use MyHD on W7.

I expect to get my XP system back up and in use as my main HTPC soon.

SHF

Just built a Win7 box.
Asus H67 mobo, 4gb ram, Core i3 2125 LGA 1155 processor.
Using all on board mobo features and VGA connection to monitor.
So far MyHD is happy, long as all exe files are set to xpsp3 mode.

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #195 of 230 Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been running MyHD on a W7 PC now since the Consumer Preview of the OS emerged. As I posted above (and as Teeps reminded me) the only issues that I see are that you have to make sure to install the app and driver using XP compatibility mode (not the XP VM!) and that the overlay is squirrelly (so I don't use it routinely).
post #196 of 230 Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Did anyone capture the previous poll numbers?

A new poll can be started, anyone want to suggest questions and / or collect then together for me?
Quote:

This Poll will be Added to the Thread

Poll Question

Poll Answers (You can have up to 20 answers)

add another answer

Allow users to select more than one answer (multiple choice)

Poll Duration

Expires midnight (GMT) on (leave blank to run indefinitely)

SHF
post #197 of 230 Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me get this straight, I can still use my MyHD130 card in the legacy PCI slot of a motherboard using the Z77 chipset running the Ivy Bridge version of the Core i7 cpu under Windows 7 64bit as long as I don't expect to use desktop overlay option without it to act all erratic? Right? My Pentium 4 junker PC circa 2003 is going bad so I really need to build my first machine to replace it. Plus high capacity IDE internal hard drives don't seem around anymore. My machine doesn't even have USB 2.0. I want to use Windows 7 64 bit so I can install above the 4 gig total RAM.

Here's the motherboard I'm thinking of getting:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PROTHUNDERBOLT/

my equipment
post #198 of 230 Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

NO! There is no 64-bit driver for the MDp130.
post #199 of 230 Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddir View Post

Let me get this straight, I can still use my MyHD130 card in the legacy PCI slot of a motherboard using the Z77 chipset running the Ivy Bridge version of the Core i7 cpu under Windows 7 64bit as long as I don't expect to use desktop overlay option without it to act all erratic? Right? My Pentium 4 junker PC circa 2003 is going bad so I really need to build my first machine to replace it. Plus high capacity IDE internal hard drives don't seem around anymore. My machine doesn't even have USB 2.0. I want to use Windows 7 64 bit so I can install above the 4 gig total RAM.
Here's the motherboard I'm thinking of getting:
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PROTHUNDERBOLT/

I'm coming from a Pentium 4 3.4GHz CPU (Northwood core) and Asus P4P800 mobo. I've used MyHD MDP-130 on this platform (running WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3) for 6 years with no issues. But now I'm moving to a new HTPC/DVR build, and will be using Win7 Home Premium 64-bit like you.

I really like the MyHD card, and mine still works perfectly... but for me, it's time to say goodbye (along with TheaterTek).

In the new system, I'll be using HDHomerun for DVR duties, and W7 Media Center + Media Browser + MPC-HC for playback. I still plan to use CW_EPG as my DVR control/scheduling app.

When I finish with the new build, I will most likely offer the still-working MyHD MDP-130 card + all accessories and original box + DVI daughtercard with its accessories/original box to interested parties on AVS via the classified area.

If I didn't decide to use a 64-bit OS for my new build, I probably would still keep the MyHD card too. Good luck to you in your upgrade endeavor smile.gif

post #200 of 230 Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

I'm coming from a Pentium 4 3.4GHz CPU (Northwood core) and Asus P4P800 mobo. I've used MyHD MDP-130 on this platform (running WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3) for 6 years with no issues. But now I'm moving to a new HTPC/DVR build, and will be using Win7 Home Premium 64-bit like you.
I really like the MyHD card, and mine still works perfectly... but for me, it's time to say goodbye (along with TheaterTek).
In the new system, I'll be using HDHomerun for DVR duties, and W7 Media Center + Media Browser + MPC-HC for playback. I still plan to use CW_EPG as my DVR control/scheduling app.
When I finish with the new build, I will most likely offer the still-working MyHD MDP-130 card + all accessories and original box + DVI daughtercard with its accessories/original box to interested parties on AVS via the classified area.
If I didn't decide to use a 64-bit OS for my new build, I probably would still keep the MyHD card too. Good luck to you in your upgrade endeavor smile.gif

The reason I'm thinking I want to move to 64bit OS is that the bigger memory would speed up the video editing of .ts recordings by the HDTVtoMPEG2 application, which takes forever now with my Northwoods P4 machine. If there would be no difference using the smaller memory 32bit Windows 7 and all I/O devices like 6gb Sata drives and USB 3.0 wouldn't perform any faster plus I don't do any gaming, well maybe I don't need Win7 64 bit? I'm thinking of using image software like Photoshop in the future, but I don't even own/afford a digital camera yet? BTW, will the picture quality using your planned MPC-HC for playback using these more powerful CPUs equal what we enjoy using the MyHD MDP-130's dedicated chipset? MPC looks like garbage playing 1080i on my Northwoods P4:eek:

my equipment
post #201 of 230 Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

The reason I'm thinking I want to move to 64bit OS is that the bigger memory would speed up the video editing of .ts recordings by the HDTVtoMPEG2 application, which takes forever now with my Northwoods P4 machine. If there would be no difference using the smaller memory 32bit Windows 7 and all I/O devices like 6gb Sata drives and USB 3.0 wouldn't perform any faster plus I don't do any gaming, well maybe I don't need Win7 64 bit?

That's what I've found to be true -- that a 32bit OS is generally sufficient for MPEG2 editing. What boosts system performance when editing is the disk I/O speed (assuming that all that's being done to your MPEG2 files is cut-and-join editing, i.e. no filtering or post-processing). When I moved from a single-core CPU with mobo having only SATA150 (SATA I) to a dual-core CPU (Intel's Core2 Duo, their first-gen dual core processor) and a SATA300 (SATA II) mobo, the speed of (cut-and-join) MPEG2 editing increased dramatically, with both systems running WinXP Pro 32-bit for the OS.

BTW, the best system disk configuration for fastest I/O speeds when editing video is achieved when 3 disks are used in the system:

DISK 1: For the OS and programs only
DISK 2: For the original video you want to edit to be read from
DISK 3: For your edited output video to be written to

Quote:

BTW, will the picture quality using your planned MPC-HC for playback using these more powerful CPUs equal what we enjoy using the MyHD MDP-130's dedicated chipset? MPC looks like garbage playing 1080i on my Northwoods P4:eek:

If we are talking about MPEG2 1080i, then a dual-core CPU running at 2GHz or better should be sufficient for stutter-free playback. But if you want VC-1 or H264 1080i sources, you may need more (or faster) cores... or, alternately, hardware decode acceleration with a graphics card. What was nice about the MyHD in our older, single-core CPU systems was that the card had its own MPEG2 decoder chip, so playback was always good (using the MyHD software only, of course).

I only hope my new HTPC build has the guts to play everything (all video formats and all resolutions up to 1080p) smile.gif

post #202 of 230 Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

I've been running MyHD on a W7 PC now since the Consumer Preview of the OS emerged. As I posted above (and as Teeps reminded me) the only issues that I see are that you have to make sure to install the app and driver using XP compatibility mode (not the XP VM!) and that the overlay is squirrelly (so I don't use it routinely).

Ah! I understand now, even without buying a book, though might still get a 'QUE' book for both W7 and as someone over at the MSFN board said
"the overly simplified W8" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

I only hope my new HTPC build has the guts to play everything (all video formats and all resolutions up to 1080p) smile.gif

See my post in the main MDP-130 thread......the humble Sempron 145 in my replacement for the Gateway eMachine
plays my coveted .mkv files at both 720p and 1080p (via VLC) without breaking a sweat. Where the 3.4Ghz P4 from 2008
always stumbles on 720p.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/493691/myhd-mdp-130/12210#post_22420538
post #203 of 230 Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 AM

& here's where I'll be in a day or three.
EDIT: Spent the morning re-reading this thread.
post #204 of 230 Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

& here's where I'll be in a day or three.

Hi, welcome back. Some links in the first few posts are stale but MSDN still has the words elsewhere.

And If I need to swap in my spare W7 32 Bit HTPC I also would need to reread this thread before installing the MyHD card. HDHR, Fusion, VLC Media Player and CW_EPG are ready to go. W7 is on my main laptop and I have a good W7 book although the Vista one has some better descriptions. (Need to load the PDF!)

Terry and I are the only ones answering questions here also. AVS did a great job of maintaining subscriptions with their rewrite.

Other than the MyHD overlay problem it worked just fine. It was other issues with W7 that drove me back to XP.

Nani (SHF)

post #205 of 230 Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Back sooner than I thought ,well, the cosmetic part of it still needs to be completed, to get it looking like my
2000/XP desktops.
Lots of help there, someone over two years ago used VM to duplicate the classic themes of 2000 but all I need
is "Maple" to start either a Star Trek or preferably "Firefly" theme since the latter show had a tough going and Trek got a shot
in the arm. depends on the art I have a mood for.
Had some problem with my old HP 920C printer....the driver CD is too old, but now I'm getting a green checkmark, so going on-line
seem to have worked, will try printing later, the utility for doing a test print and align is probably too old as well. Hope i can still do two sided
printing [by flipping the paper].
Lastly, using the dreaded Windows firewall because my favourite, Outpost fw 6.5.xxxx caused a BSOD and the machine went into restore point
mode, I had to re-do preferred system setings.

It will be a couple of weeks before I install the MyHD, depending on when the cosmetics are done and if other stuff I use, like HWmonitor barfs.
I don't mind the fat taskbar, my main apps are on a stick, the PortableApps, no longer a suite, they let you add applications by category now.
TTFN.
post #206 of 230 Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lastly, using the dreaded Windows firewall because my favourite, Outpost fw 6.5.xxxx caused a BSOD and the machine went into restore point
mode, I had to re-do preferred system setings.

Hi,

On my XP HTPC "Microsoft Security Essentials" goes into a BSOD, restart, BSOD ... unless the real time protection is turned off and I cannot find out why.

No problem as all downloads are to my laptop which checks them first. I ran for ~ 3 years with no virus software with no problems. MSE (free) still recommended over the other free virus software.

My wireless router is one of the best firewalls and Windows firewall is also turned on. The only time I got a virus was when I could not get networking to work on Win 2K (Pre-release) and turned the firewall off. If I ask the router to report what it is rejecting it produces a flood of messages so do not try to run without a firewall today!!!

Windows W7 firewall on has been a non issue for me, both on my W7 laptop (UAC ON) and the spare W7 HTPC.

I use my HTPC for HTPC usage only, I finally took Terry's advice which I wish I had done very much sooner.

See my profile for my XP desktop. On Vista and W7 I use the largest text settings in the OS.

You have 30 days to activate so you can start over if you wish and get another 30 days. Already activated, no problem if the hardware has not changed. I have done ~ 25 reinstalls chasing a problem. A phone call to MS will get you past any problems anyway.

Check with HP for W7 printer software, None of my original CD's are used to install any hardware, Cannon has a W7 / Vista version that is required for my printer. Same for my scanner. I do not trust MS for drivers! YMMV 

SHF

post #207 of 230 Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

On my XP HTPC "Microsoft Security Essentials" goes into a BSOD, restart, BSOD ... unless the real time protection is turned off and I cannot find out why.

. Already activated, no problem ME: you *ahem* don't have worry about it.

Check with HP for W7 printer software, None of my original CD's are used to install any hardware, Cannon has a W7 / Vista version that is required for my printer. Same for my scanner. I do not trust MS for drivers! YMMV 

SHF

Still have to put one new unwrapped 2TB Seagate green in, now the raid card(just using to increase the number of SATA ports)is working.
I DO miss the old SCSI standard, one controller,daisy chain seven devices but IDE, SATA are just variations as on the machine level
they're seen as scsi but reported in bios as ide.
Though that was in the old days when drives were small and expensive relative to income.

Is that XP HT connected? my dedicated DVR isn't and since I can't afford another box right away I'm going to take advantage of the unused
LAN port and get the 80 dollar HDHR, then come back and bug Terry on what to do with it to work in harmony with the MDP-130.
I still want to watch TV in the 'den' though.

I don't trust MSE......still using my combo of AVG2013 and Spybot S&D. (may even upgrade to that wacky 2.0.x.x interface of theirs)
The W7U 920c driver lacks the two sided choice I once had and you have to collate odd/even numbers instead
and looks suspiciously like the driver from Linux I've seen in Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and Mint.,[dialogue boxes] has the hp copyright on it, so they did it to me. huh!
Grateful i got it printing anyhow.
post #208 of 230 Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Quote:

get the 80 dollar HDHR, then come back and bug Terry on what to do with it to work in harmony with the MDP-130.

The only way to go is CW_EPG!

I Control MyHD and HDHR all with CW_EPG and it does much of the automatic scheduling for my four HDHR tuners, MyHD and can control Fusion but while those are great tuners  captures fail ever so often OTA. I got a second HDHR when I sidelined the Fusion7 Dual.

Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun

http://www.avsforum.com/t/659993/cliff-watson-epg-add-on-for-myhd-fusionhdtv-and-hd-homerun

The CW_EPG team did a great job, it is the program I start most of the time to add / remove captures, here is my schedule for today (Modified). Attachment will be removed in a few days.

CW-EPG Report - 08_20_13 03_47 PM.zip 3k .zip file

Quote:

I don't trust MSE......still using my combo of AVG2013 and Spybot S&D. (may even upgrade to that wacky 2.0.x.x interface of theirs)

AVG2013 takes too many resources, when I had problems with it Terry suggested MSE. Low footprint, just does what is needed. My XP problems may be fixed with a BIOS tweak.

SHF

post #209 of 230 Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's been a while since I checked on this, so I may have it wrong, but I think that the W7 MyHD video overlay issue was fixed in one of the many OS updates.
post #210 of 230 Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 AM

Well, i just looked, AVG is using less resources than my download accelerator/manager, the biggest portion of AVG is the identity
protection, that with the web browsing component is what I had turned off on the Pentium/2000/XP machine.
This new AMD seems to be taking it in stride and running cool at 30 watts ATM. The DVR isn't on the internet [check the clock with the cell phone,
its' always on a network].

Play list manager is the utility I need to learn, so files get played by the MyHD.
In the absence of WMC [at least I haven't found it in this presentation of W7U]
I need to find a third party scheduler that I can use the PSIP and do manual
entries with.

I've said in earlier posts, all my scheduling has been "hands on" manual and if Golf spoils
"60 Minutes" or footbal frells with "Once Upon A Time", then I down load and because the
CBC no longer includes PSIP, it is all manual, with my ZaptoIt customised TV Guide.
I don't know if you can see this, you have to be logged on:
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1377039600000&aid=zap2it
to get personalized listings for your broadcast area.

I thought you knew that about me?

While I'm using one gig of Ram now, (multiple tabs open in FF) currently the CPU is humming along
nicely at an average of 4% at 93 degrees F, way cooler than the Pentium 4 ever ran, for the P4, 135
was cool!

EDIT:
Before I go out tonight, wanted to tell the crowd that my old newsreader, Xnews, ran from the W2kP backup
partition on the 1TB hybrid work drive without needing compatibility setting. :EDIT
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page