post #211 of 230 Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

It's been a while since I checked on this, so I may have it wrong, but I think that the W7 MyHD video overlay issue was fixed in one of the many OS updates.
I just confirmed that the overlay window size is now stable through multiple openings on an updated W7 installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Play list manager is the utility I need to learn, so files get played by the MyHD.
Yes., PLM will do that for any .tp/.ts/.mpg recordings.
Quote:
In the absence of WMC [at least I haven't found it in this presentation of W7U] I need to find a third party scheduler that I can use the PSIP and do manual entries with.
I'm not aware of any such, although I imagine that they exist in some dark corner of the Internet. The best-supported "free" option that I know of is WMC, which I thought was included in all versions of W7....

I still like CW_EPG over WMC enough to pay the $25/year for the Schedules Direct listings.
post #213 of 230 Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Hi,

Take a look at:

http://www.nextpvr.com/

A quick look 6/19/2013 suggested to me that it will work for HDHR.

But, CW_EPG is so much better for MyHD / HDHR that $25 for a good look is a wise choice.

NextPVR would get a hard look by me should SD end, which I hope is never while I still can use it. 

SHF

post #214 of 230 Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Hi,

Take a look at:

Have you down loaded this program and put it to use?

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #215 of 230 Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post

Have you down loaded this program and put it to use?

Hi,

No I have not, I am oh so very happy with CW_EPG.

When someone needed a HDHR DVR I found it and the webpage read very good.

SHF

post #216 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes., PLM will do that for any .tp/.ts/.mpg recordings.
The best-supported "free" option that I know of is WMC, which I thought was included in all versions of W7....

Yes! I found it in this 'distro' of W7U...start menu....future proofed in case I buy second HDHR for this
{surprised at the performance of the Sempron 145 in this box,slightly better even than last year's DVR build does,
ASRock vs. ASUS} ASUS mobo'd workstation or a future milti-core { in which case this will be a backup DVR}...
still getting used to the 'Start" menu but I like it over XP's cascading one.

Still would have to look at bank account after property taxes are paid in September [just keeping my head above water].
What I was concerned about was doing the job in the dedicated DVR that has XP lite on it (200MB) and lacks WMC.
Therefore a third party s/w for a HDHR that won't be on the 'net and accepts manual programming.
post #217 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Hi,
Take a look at:
A quick look 6/19/2013 suggested to me that it will work for HDHR.
But, CW_EPG is so much better for MyHD / HDHR that $25 for a good look is a wise choice.
NextPVR would get a hard look by me should SD end, which I hope is never while I still can use it. 
SHF

I'll take a look, the dedicated DVR won't be on-line unfortunately.
I don't know where you shop, but 25 dollar routers don't seem to exist around here.
Gotta go to bed, just got off a 12-hour shift..exhausted....too old for that crap.
redface.gif
post #218 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that Nani's $25 was referring to the Schedules Direct annual subscription. But you could connect your second PC to the first by adding a second NIC via USB or PCI, no router required, for less than $25. That would allow you, e.g., to run CW_EPG on the directly Internet-connected PC and use it to schedule both MyHD and HDHR recordings on both that machine and the dedicated HTPC.
browncoat likes this.
post #219 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

My Airlink101 Super G Wireless Router Model AR430W was ~ $ 25. Fry's makes companies give them very great pricing or they will not carry the product.

(Years ago)

I see a price on EBay of $7 and several below $25. Amazon has it at $64. redface.gif

If you are DSL like me then that is all the speed needed. You can stream HD from a HDHR Wirelessly even. (54 Mbps)

I now have a 1G Hz Wireless router because I discovered that so many of my devices were 1G.

Wireless Speed is up to 300 Mbps so copying ".tp" captures to my laptop are fast. I can transfer Maigret to my NAS and then to my Laptop, use VideoReDo to crop and convert to MP4 and copy back to the NAS before the Maigret is repeated a hour later. Also to 1TB USB Cigarette pack sized drive and Blu-Ray when KCSM is off the air or I am in a "Home' and MHz is not available.

SHF

post #220 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Check TigerDirect for Wireless routers and computer USB Wireless.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

MCM appears to have the same routers starting at ~ $32. Very trustworthy.

http://www.mcminone.com/

Are you near a Goodwill?

People are ditching 54 Mbps routers to move to faster ones.

SHF

post #221 of 230 Old 08-25-2013, 01:17 PM

OK, I'll take a look on my days off, at least i can re-install Outpost on the XPlite machine but for this one I found utilities
that make the Windows firewall have the same functionality.
TinyWall
Windows 7 Firewall Control
Windows Firewall Notifier
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/firewalls.html
Right now..not going anywhere dangerous, just the usual haunts.

I'll choose one after testing.
Almost 18:00, gotta repeat the crap of last night..see you tomorrow.
Should we move this to the HDHR forum, or is this good enough?

EDIT Aug 26:
OK guys, I surrender, I haven't networked since 1993,taking an adult course but without reading the manuals
my lab partner and I had a peer to peer set up in 15 minutes,then had the rest of the class as a break but that was ages
ago. I've forgotten it all, all my network set-ups are sitting on five-and-a-quarter inch floppies, inaccessible.
Those were the days of Win 3.1......I was on the Atari MegaSTE, with a whole whopping 4MB of ram vs. the college's 640K
PCs. Wordperfect 4.1/4.2 on the Atari had a wonderful [though monochrome] GUI with drop drown menus. The college's
machines just had this damn blinking cursor, I was laughed at when I asked where are the drop downs and the menu bar at the top.
Then I put the whole thing on a wheeled cart...minus the HP 500C and showed them the next week.
Take a look at this page [ I prefer brick and mortars] and I live nearest to the St. Catharines store, if you search by location.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=27_1046&bsort=0&brand=0&price=1&location=SCAT
Then look at the USB dongles as well, and make your recommendations as to brand name.
I will take you advice to heart.
OR I might just as well get the one on top, it has good reviews vs. the bad ones for the D-Link below it,
then ask the clerk for a compatible dongle.
post #222 of 230 Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Wireless Routers vs USB connect, it's about what you have and where you may go.

If you have ANY laptop like me (I have 4 alive currently) with Wireless built in, then wireless is the way to go.

I started out with a USB - USB connect when I could not get Ethernet networking working between two desktop computers.

It was very hard to get working, I suspect that with XP, W7, W8 and new products it would be easy. I finally got Ethernet working AFTER lowering my firewall and getting my only virus to date (Win 2K).

Just connecting a firewire cable to my computers today sets it all up, just the cable. Ethernet now is easy.

The motherboard I got to use MyHD with had wireless built in and I could share the internet with my first laptop with NO router. Built into windows.

The first Wireless router was purchased to allow the laptop to use the internet without the desktop computer turned on.

If you have just two desktop computers close together, then the USB - USB connect is to way to go. You can set up windows (Easy) to allow the second computer access to the internet. Add other computers and it does not look like a good plan.

Just starting out with Wireless, do not overbuy if your needs are low. Most people do overbuy.

My Netgear WNDR3700 (Now $86 Newegg) is overkill for many home users, but it is close to the top of the line.

SHF

post #223 of 230 Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hi,
1) If you have just two desktop computers close together, then the USB - USB connect is to way to go. You can set up windows (Easy) to allow the second computer access to the internet. Add other computers and it does not look like a good plan.
2) Just starting out with Wireless, do not overbuy if your needs are low. Most people do overbuy.
SHF

1) No, Two desktops..one wall about fifteen feet between the two locations.
The ASRock though only had slots for the video card and the MDP-130.
2) No, I won't overbuy, not for a task that just needs one or two days a
week or less even to accomplish.
post #224 of 230 Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 PM

I've got the networking gear...30 bucks including a USB extension, because some reviewers of the TP Link dongle said it sometimes gets squelched by EMI on desktops
unless you move it away from the case....no big deal, I can run it in the backside and tape the adapter to the wall that separates DVR from the workstation.
Haven't put the second 130 in the W7 machine yet, still testing my older applications & utilities from 2000/XP, though in some cases like XXCLONE and Roadkil's
Unstoppable Copier, and ImgBurn, I just downloaded the latest versions. Didn't like the interface to Nero 9 Essentials though, scanning Majorgeeks for an alternative.
Wonder if Nero 7 Essentials disc will install? MegaManager from the now defunct Megaupload still works, though you need to ignore the start page and go straight to downloads.
HWmonitor still works [from CPUID] yet PC Wizard from the same company whether Ii used the 2012 or 2010 version would hang the system but i don't need it because i know
what hardware i have and where it came from and HWM I still have for seeing the temperatures and everything is running under 100 degrees F 'cept the Gigabyte fanless
video card, that i let the guy talk me into when what i wanted wasn't in stock, currently at 116F. The ADATA SSD is the coolest at 76F.
Gotta renew at 2Leech, so won't know yet if i have the disposable income for the HDHR [gotta add shipping from newegg.ca] maybe next paycheque [yeah, I know buy now, pay VISA later]
the old Scotsman in me is saying "stay frugal" and the new TV season seems to be starting early this year, like Sept.23 for CBS, instead of making us wait 'till October or November even.

Feeling dumb though, forgot about VLC being able to play DVDs, though testing it, the video seemed kind of jerky [but you have to look close] compared to playing through the MyHD which is smooth
and natural looking action.

-Later gang.
post #225 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Crap! the new TV season starts Monday (Bones on Fox/Global) and I'm not ready.
Haven't ordered the HDHR yet, unlike you who know what you'll have week to week,
I live by the contract and so far, logging in to my company's web site so far my schedule
beyond Sunday remains blank, so I don't klnow whether to get it or for the millionth time,
stifle the urge to spend.

If I'm not working on Monday I'll unscrew the MyHD from the old box and move it to the new,
when I apply the combo driver/application(1.66.1.1E), do I use the compatibility tab on the installer package
or wait until after installation and do it on the main .exe or all parts with an .exe extension .
???

(now that's weird, in the reply pane my typing appears as I typed, but upon preview, there's a stroke through
the period and question mark.)
post #226 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Crap! the new TV season starts Monday (Bones on Fox/Global) and I'm not ready.
Haven't ordered the HDHR yet, unlike you who know what you'll have week to week,
I live by the contract and so far, logging in to my company's web site so far my schedule
beyond Sunday remains blank, so I don't klnow whether to get it or for the millionth time,
stifle the urge to spend.

Hi,

CW_EPG will handle the accounting of programs previously viewed automatically (mine goes back to 1/1/2009) or manual lookup. Episode numbers are displayed (YMMV due to listings entries).

Listings go up to 12 days in advance for $25 / Year. (Great listings for the most part.)

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware

Freeguide can be used to display the same listings.

http://www.artificialworlds.net/freeguide/Main/HomePage

SHF

post #227 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nani, go back and re-read. Bruce is talking about his work schedule.

Bruce, you should run the installer using XP SP3 compatibility. (Right click its EXE and set compatibility in Properties) And you need to make sure to do this when you install the MyHD driver as well. I imagine that you can adjust the compatibility mode after installation too, but likely you'll see some crashing in that case and it's easier to set it up right at the start.
post #228 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi,

:( Darn AVS WYSIWYG editor forced top posting again.

Sorry, I missed that.:o

Is there any hope that CW_EPG's suggested tweaks will occur (I have too long a faulty memory, the episode numbers in the filename come to mind as a very interesting.)

Nani (SHF :D)

Quote:

Nani, go back and re-read. Bruce is talking about his work schedule.

post #229 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Further CW_EPG development is looking unlikely in the near future. However, the fact that Comcast and other cablecos appear to be shutting down clear QAM transmissions may force some more work to support the HDHR Prime series for folks who're willing to pay that piper. The difficulty is that the majority of the team, including both coders and myself, aren't such folks. I think that we need to let a few more chips settle before taking any more steps.
post #230 of 230 Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Bruce, you should run the installer using XP SP3 compatibility. (Right click its EXE and set compatibility in Properties) And you need to make sure to do this when you install the MyHD driver as well. I imagine that you can adjust the compatibility mode after installation too, but likely you'll see some crashing in that case and it's easier to set it up right at the start.

Yep, thank you Terry, after all I can only get BSOD and have to start over, I'll be using that 'Final' package, the one that has both the app and board driver plus the IRC driver.
Going to leave now for that last listed 12-hour shift, so I'll log back in tomorrow when I find that CD I burned oh so long ago.
Currently I am running 7 as administrator, using "TinyWall" to harden and have better control of the Windows Firewall, (had a bit of trouble with Outpost) so far
everything else works, even Xnews, without tinkering.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page